Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
pstogs Offline OP
OP Offline
P
My husband and I have been married 24 years. I am 53 years old. Around my 40th birthday I started hanging out with some old friends from high school...trying to recapture my youth I guess. One night my husband and I went out to a bar with all my old friends and my old boyfriend from high school was there. I acted a fool and went after him...I guess just to prove I still HAD IT? I made a fool of myself and humilated my husband. He has never ever gotten over it even though we have gone over it many times in the past thirteen years. We did not have sex but I did sneak off to the back with him. My husband says that if I just tell the truth it will be over and he will forgive me but I wasnt truthful in the beginning so now anthing i say he says I am lying I love my husband very much what do i do?

S
S
Does saying "we did not have sex" make this any better? It's the disrespect that you showed that has your BH angry even now.

P
pstogs Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I know that. I have tried for years to show him how very sorry I am and that I love him and am committed to the life we have but he just cant get past it. I am well aware that I hurt him deeply. What can i do to show him that?

P
pstogs Offline OP
OP Offline
P
no it doesnt make it any better at all . I know i hurt him deeply but I dont know how to make our marriage get past this. i have never done anything else in the last fifteen years i have been very sorry and remorseful and i have acknowledged his pain and my part in causing it. Will this never end?

A
A
It can end when the two of you build a romantic relationship. Follow the MB program to meet each other's emotional needs. Start by reading the material on this site as well as the books, "His Needs, Her Needs" and "Lovebusters".

Be transparent with all your activities. Eliminate any lovebusters. Spend a minimum of 20 hours/week in undivided attention, meeting the four critical, intimate needs. These four are affection, intimate conversation, recreational companionship, and sexual fulfillment.

Your husband should stop bringing this up.

BW - 70
WH - 65
M - 35 years
D-day - 17 Apr 08
H broke contact 11/1/09
Back in love after the worst thing that every happened to us.
M
M
Originally Posted by pstogs
We did not have sex but I did sneak off to the back with him. My husband says that if I just tell the truth it will be over and he will forgive me but I wasnt truthful in the beginning so now anthing i say he says I am lying I love my husband very much what do i do?

Your story obviously doesn't GEL to him. That usually happens when a spouse is not telling the truth. Why not make an appointment to take a polygraph and clear it up once and for all?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

P
pstogs Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I offered to do just that.

P
pstogs Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I have given him my entire life for the past fifteen years. I have my daughters and him. I have no friends that I do anything with outside of our marriage the only person that I do things with is my family. I thought that this devotion would prove to him how very sorry that I am.

T
T
I offered to do just that.

Offering and doing

Both end in ing but are not the same.

It's obvious offering has not had much impact on your BH.

As to not having sex. Bill Clinton said: "I did not have sex with that woman"

We found out he was lying. Are you lying to us? What exactly went down.

What did you mean you went to back with the OM?

What happened?

Something happened to make BH upset?

Start being honest here.

Then come and get your BH to post here as well. MB will be able to help him move past this, and help the both of you to recover to a new marriage better then the old one.

P
pstogs Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I kissed him and that was all. My husband doesnt want to believe that but if I said anything else I would be lying and I mean that with all my heart. where do i go to get a lie detector test? I will do it and I mean it. I want my marriage back. Obviously I didnt want my old boyfriend....it happened one night fifteen years ago.........

M
M
I kissed him and that was all. My husband doesnt want to believe that but if I said anything else I would be lying and I mean that with all my heart. where do i go to get a lie detector test? I will do it and I mean it. I want my marriage back. Obviously I didnt want my old boyfriend....it happened one night fifteen years ago.........

Call your local police station and ask them for a recommendation for a qualified polygraph tester. I would also stop minimizing what you did by brushing it off as "it happened 15 years ago.." Are you kidding? Stop minimizing it and take steps to make sure your husband has the full truth.

Did you end all contact with that loser? Is he married? And if so, does his wife know?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M

p.s. I would lose the direspectful, victim attitude. It is not helping you at all, AS YOU CAN SEE. What you did has tormented your husband for YEARS and you are acting like you are the victim because he has expressed his suspicions. You are not the victim, HE IS. He is RIGHT to be very suspicious of a woman who behaves so untrustworthy. He is right to not believe your story. Most betrayed spouses can smell a lie and when a story does not GEL, it drives them crazy.

So please drop the attitude. It will not help your marriage one bit and just makes it look like you are hiding something.

Exposure 101

P
pstogs Offline OP
OP Offline
P
yes, i have not had any contact with this guy at all. i am so tired of arguing about this....i came on here to get some advice and all i have gotten is the same thing i get from my husband....if i didnt know better i would think you were my husband. thanks.

M
M
yes, i have not had any contact with this guy at all. i am so tired of arguing about this....i came on here to get some advice and all i have gotten is the same thing i get from my husband....if i didnt know better i would think you were my husband. thanks.

Do you think that maybe others might have a point you should listen to? If others are telling you the same thing your husband does, there might be a message there. You sound very defensive and cagey in your posts. That attitude, no doubt, comes through to your husband and makes the problem worse. Your defensiveness raises red flags. But that can all be resolved if you just take a polygraph. Just take a test for him and hopefully that will settle the matter.

Did you really want help or did you just want some yes men to help you blame your husband?

Exposure 101

P
pstogs Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I have never once blamed my husband for what I did. I have taken the blame and the consequences. Where is this world does it say that people should never forgive and keep something going on and on? I am very sorry I have showed him that over and over. I have no contact with any of those people. The only people that I do anything with is my family. we have had a good life and what i thought was a good marriage why should we have to rehash this over and over. What i did was wrong, i hurt him and i just dont know what to do to make it better....have you thought that maybe i am defensive because i have been going over this for the past twenty four hours wit him. please i dont need anymore beatings i have had enough...

M
M
pstogs, you are criticizing your H for not believing your story and for continuing to bring it up. You don't sound sorry to me at all, rather you sound defensive.

I bring this up because if you sound this way to me, I am sure you sound this way to HIM. Your defensiveness throws up all manner of red flags to an objective observer.

Do you want to resolve this or not? If you do, then drop the defensiveness, schedule a polygraph and don't do it with an attitude and don't play the victim. Tell him you feel so bad you have made him wonder all these years that you really want to put this to rest FOR HIM. Tell him to give you a list of questions and you will answer them honestly. Let HIM come up with the questions for the polygraph tester.

pstogs, you asked for help from objective observers and this is what I see. You can take it or leave it. Its all the same to me. smile

Exposure 101

P
pstogs Offline OP
OP Offline
P
you know i feel for you...my husband cant get over a one night stand that did not involve sex but kissing okay i know bill clinton said he did not have sex with that woman but I swear I didnt....anyway I am sorry It has never occurred again and that was fifteen years ago I have begged his forgiveness, i have told him i know what i did to him was horrible but to no avail.. our marriage will be going good and then he brings it up again. what am i to do from your perspective? If your wife has shown you that she loves you and is committed to you and your marriage why cant you forgive her and built a better life together?

M
M
p.s. have you stopped hanging out in bars?

Exposure 101

P
pstogs Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I never hang out in bars.....thanks for your advise. I will try to quit being defensive and i will try to clean up my life.

M
M
Where is this world does it say that people should never forgive and keep something going on and on?

Forgiveness is something that is EARNED, it is not an entitlement program. If your H does not believe you are telling the truth, then it would be inappropriate to forgive you. Dr Harley doesn't believe that forgiveness is appropriate unless there has been just compensation. For example, the conditions that led to the event should be eliminated. Did you stop hanging out in bars? Did you end your relationships with the opposite sex?

Exposure 101

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 820 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation