Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 51 of 89 1 2 49 50 51 52 53 88 89
N
N
Yeah, I had a non-heart-healthy meal that made me conflated as well.

But, man, it was worth it!

Me (BH)
FWW
Married 2000, DS 8, DD 6, DD 2

G
G
conflatulence?

N
N
Originally Posted by GloveOil
conflatulence?

My inner dialogue:

"I'm going to stay silent on this one as I'm not sure if GloveOil just wrote a real word or made it up. When in doubt, don't say anything."

Me (BH)
FWW

M
M
conflatulence?
Yeah, it was a real toot, er, I mean hoot. rotflmao

Oh, dear, this thread is heading south at an alarming pace...

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

N
N
Originally Posted by maritalbliss
Oh, dear, this thread is heading south at an alarming pace...

Something wrong with the South, mb?

Assuming that's not what you meant, then this thread is heading to a wonderful, magical place, right?! smile

Me (BH)
FWW

M
M
I'm going to stay silent on this one as I'm not sure if it's a real word or something just made up.
'Silent' is probably not the best choice of words at this point.

Okay, I'm quitting now! laugh

D-Day 2-10-2009

C
C
Oh well, you know me...

con�flat�ed-con�flat�ing

Definition of CONFLATE
transitive verb
1 a : to bring together : fuse b : confuse
2 : to combine (as two readings of a text) into a composite whole

Examples of CONFLATE

<be careful not to conflate gossip with real news>

<the movie conflates documentary footage and dramatized reenactments so seamlessly and ingeniously that viewers may not know what is real and what is not>

Origin of CONFLATE
Latin conflatus, past participle of conflare to blow together, fuse, from com- + flare to blow � more at blow
First Known Use: 1610

Related to CONFLATE

Synonyms: confuse, confound, mistake, mix (up)

Antonyms: difference, differentiate, discriminate, distinguish, separate

Thanks again NG for expanding my vocabulary, although I doubt that useing the words will help in communication with who I ussually talk with...

"Hey Joey, this guy says I am conflating here, Is he a wise guy or something?"

"Dad!, stop useing $10 words, your confusing people at the party", (of course that would be opposite effect I was looking for, trying to bring thoughts and ideas more completly together to form a more rounded statement, and complete thought...) faint

I accually thought you mistyped for a sec...and I knew it was not Click, but didn't wanna bother looking it up either. Keep us on our toes NG, we all need it.

H
H
Originally Posted by Northwood8900
conflatulence?

My inner dialogue:

"I'm going to stay silent but deadly on this one as I'm not sure if GloveOil just wrote a real word or made it up. When in doubt, don't say anything."

Fix'd

My rant; hate not having internet and missing the cat fights.

Hope everyone got their lashes in and can hug it out now.

That is, until the next time a meltdown codeword is dropped and the forum again explodes.

Ladies... gotta love ya.

Last edited by HoldHerHand; 08/31/11 02:14 AM.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
H
H
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand
That is, until the next time a meltdown codeword is dropped and the forum again explodes.

Let's defuse some meltdown words;

Clique, team, club, etc - groupthink, conformity, deindividualization, asymmetric insight.

TL;DR - we all fall into conformity and groupthink. We are prone to de-individualize. We group up.

In other words, the next time someone hurls one of these things at you, translate it in your head like this:

"You (all) [meltdown codeword]!" -----> "You (all) eat/breathe/sleep!"

If you read only one of the linked articles, read asymmetric insight... or I'll place the key here;

So, you pick a team, and like the boys at Robber�s Cave, you spend a lot of time a lot of time talking about how dumb and uncouth the other side is. You too can become preoccupied with defining the essence of your enemies. You too need the other side to be inferior, so you define them as such. You start to believe your persona is actually your identity, and the identity of your enemy is actually their persona. You see yourself in a game of self-deluded poker and assume you are impossible to read while everyone else has obvious tells.

The name of the team is "Marriage Builders," your persona is "Marriage Builders user."

This is one of many, aside from; man/woman, Christian/other, conservative/liberal, engineer/lawyer, BS/WS, mother/father, sister/brother, son/daughter.

So, yes, we are all parts of a club, clique, team, tribe, and/or group.

The next time someone tries to hurl this as an insult, ignore the spotlight effect, and remember that it is NOT an insult, but pointing out a fact of human behavior as normal and functional as breathing.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

M
M
The basic point is that the poster MEANT it as an insult and that is what posters were addressing. It was her intended INSULT and entitlement attitude that was addressed as it should have been.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

H
H
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
The basic point is that the poster MEANT it as an insult and that is what posters were addressing. It was her intended INSULT and entitlement attitude that was addressed as it should have been.

And the next point would be it is really about as insulting as pointing out that you are from Texas.

We chose to give power to the word as an insult.

And what is an insult? What is the purpose?

To denigrate or reduce the status of the target(s).

In the most recent case, this was not effective. In previous cases, it hasn't been effective.

Why?

Because it tries to take something that is not, in the context of this board, negative and make it so.

Additionally, those who have tossed these words around as an attempt at a negative connotation do so because they choose to exclude themselves from the group.

There are rabble-rousers, and there are arguments, but a fair amount of those who engage in that do so freely with no fear of exclusion because they adhere to the core concepts and processes of the board, and in doing so maintain connection to the group goal.

So, conclusively, to attempt to hurl these terms as insults is not a persecution of those it is leveled at (thought it is an attempt to do so), rather it is a declaration by the accuser of their status as "other."

And that is their problem to address.

M
M
[
Additionally, those who have tossed these words around as an attempt at a negative connotation do so because they choose to exclude themselves from the group.

Yep, we agree.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

H
H
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
[

Yep, we agree.

I'm marking this one on the calendar!

rotflmao

P
P
dontknow I'm still trying to figure out what y'all talkin'bout dontknow

M
M
I understand what you're saying, HHH, but let's flesh it out a bit more:

I would submit that we didn't 'choose' to give it power as an insult. We acknowledged the poster's reason behind choosing the word was to insult or reduce the status of her targets.

The response to the insult was swift and unambiguous. As it should be, as opposed to allowing the comment to stand while the target(s) navel-gazed and examined their own standing and motivations. It would have been unnecessary use of time to twiddle and introspect while listening to someone confirming their own insecurities.

Mopping up and moving on to more important things than blathering about cliques seems a much better use of time.

D-Day 2-10-2009

H
H
Originally Posted by maritalbliss
I understand what you're saying, HHH, but let's flesh it out a bit more:

I would submit that we didn't 'choose' to give it power as an insult. We acknowledged the poster's reason behind choosing the word was to insult or reduce the status of her targets.

The response to the insult was swift and unambiguous. As it should be, as opposed to allowing the comment to stand while the target(s) navel-gazed and examined their own standing and motivations. It would have been unnecessary use of time to twiddle and introspect while listening to someone confirming their own insecurities.

Mopping up and moving on to more important things than blathering about cliques seems a much better use of time.

Things stand better when they have legs!

I give no excuses to any specific poster on this - the motivation here is to remove the meltdown power of certain words or accusations that pop up from time to time and start frenzies.

This group of terms being one.

In other words; not giving legs to something which isn't standing to begin with, nor wasting time on knocking it down once it's been propped up.

Heck, I'm crazy enough to think I'm part of the clique. Don't care if anyone says otherwise, cause I'm bringing the snacks!

M
M
Don't care if anyone says otherwise, cause I'm bringing the snacks!
Could you put banana peppers on one of the pizzas? I'll bring the soda. [Linked Image from pic4ever.com]

D-Day 2-10-2009

H
H
Originally Posted by Pepperband
dontknow I'm still trying to figure out what y'all talkin'bout dontknow

Giving time, energy, and thought to things which are not deserving - and maybe revising so that it happens less?

I don't know... I'm a little nutty.

C
C
AHH needed one of these...

Allways learn more from heated discussions with passion from those I respect..

Guess I am a rabble rouser

H
H
Originally Posted by ConstantProcess
AHH needed one of these...

Allways learn more from heated discussions with passion from those I respect..

Guess I am a rabble rouser

"If everyone thinks the same thing, then someone ain't thinkin."

Page 51 of 89 1 2 49 50 51 52 53 88 89

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 258 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation