Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 61 of 62 1 2 59 60 61 62
L
L

Yeah, I think the ball's already in his court and has been gathering dust over there.

xFWW(me)-48
Married-14 years
D-Day~23-May-11
NC- 14-Apr-11
1 DS 15
Online course July '11 to July '12
17 sessions with S. Harley Feb '12 to Sep '12
Divorced Jan 21, 2013
L
L
Anointed,

This is Markos' response to JustKim (SAA) in her thread, and it seems appropriate for you, too.

Originally Posted by markos
Originally Posted by JustKim
I honestly cant figure out if what seems real is real. For example. This morning my H and I had a conversation about his lack of care. I asked him if he thought he cared for me. He responded with
"I realize there are some behaviors I have that you perceive as lack of care"

That response makes me feel unsettled, uneasy and Im left really. I think Oh! Did he get this? Wait a minute, this makes me feel unmoored. There is something not right with this response but I cant put my finger on what it is

I can tell you what it is:

Care that you don't perceive as care is irrelevant. It means he's meeting emotional needs that are not your emotional needs.

When Dr. Harley and Joyce first got married, she went to a lot of trouble to iron his clothes. She thought he would really appreciate that. But he didn't. Clothes-ironing didn't deposit any love units for him. It wasn't one of his emotional needs. So she quit doing that so she could spend her time in ways that were more effective at meeting his emotional needs.

It's useless to debate whether a person really cares or not. They will always argue that they care. What matters is whether they are meeting your emotional needs or not. (AND, are they keeping you safe from love bank withdrawals. AND, are they building a compatible lifestyle together with you that you both enjoy.) If they are not doing these things, it doesn't matter how much they "care."

xFWW(me)-48
Married-14 years
D-Day~23-May-11
NC- 14-Apr-11
1 DS 15
Divorced Jan 21, 2013
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by LifetimeLearner
Your feelings are worth considering and taking into account, but there may be a more respectful way to present them. Maybe something like "I appreciate your help. I would really like to go over Lovebusters, too. How would you feel about you buying another copy since we can't find the one we have?" Let him know that you feel that Lovebusters are an important problem to you without any disrespect. At that point, the ball's in his court. Do you have a plan if he doesnt return the ball?

Thank you for this. I know I've stopped being caring to Ship. That's not a very good motivator for him.

I think I've been trying to force him out of fear. "What if he won't do it?"

Yes, I have a plan.

Last edited by Anointed; 08/13/13 11:45 AM.

Married 20 yrs
Me:FBW
Him: FWH
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Enlightened_Ex
I do not get the impression he is enthusiastic about ministering to others and having your story out there.

Exposure is one thing, and that is not subject to the POJA. But telling your story to strangers, or those not in a position to end an active affair is a legitimate matter for POJA.

I do not believe you are helping recovery if you insist on something for which he holds little enthusiasm.

Originally Posted by Anointed
I'm concerned that Ship thinks Marriage Builders is about ministering to other couples.

I don't think he thinks that. I'm the one who wants to minister...badly.

It gives me joy. Tremendous joy. My relationship with Ship has been hurtful, and it makes me sad to give up helping someone else by being able to reveal specific details of how recovered.

But let's be honest, it is backwards as you said.

How can I help anyone else if I'm in this state?

I understand. I've been holding out hope that one day...

I overstepped. It was an uncaring thing to be inconsiderate of Ship's feelings regarding this. He feels that I am pushing him to be healed so that I can have my way of ministering to others.

I can understand him feeling that I will find a way to have what I want based on our past. I do know how to get things done. I don't want to squash Ship in the process.

I truly do want him to forgive himself and be whole.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
We didn't have any UA time, so I was feeling sad.

Anointed, UA time has got to be scheduled weekly, or it will be put aside.

You need to quit trying to persuade him to follow the instructions he has been given. Remember, you cannot take responsibility for his decisions. That is up to him. It is too hard on you to keep trying to tell him, over and over.

You need to separate from him until he is ready to do these things all the time, for the rest of your married life, without prompting from you. This is for your protection. And you need to have a plan in place for you to separate from him at any time in the future, for your protection. He has proved that he will sit back and relax and leave the important things undone whenever he gets a chance. So you will probably ALWAYS need to be ready to separate at a moment's notice, at least for years.

Well that sucks.

Here is the email Ship sent this morning:

I hope this is OK with you. I�m not the most creative, so I hope you�ll help me come up with ideas for our dates! We have one scheduled tonight, so I�m trying to come up with something that will keep us at the house/close to the house for the little girls.

UA Schedule

Last edited by Anointed; 08/13/13 12:09 PM. Reason: Trying to enter schedule

Married 20 yrs
4 children
L
L

I want to be sure I haven't added to any confusion you might have. It's always a good idea to stop one's own Lovebusters, but it may not change how your spouse treats you. It remains that they need to participate. It's just for you to know that you did your part, which will be important to remember when you're separated. Second guessing yourself can be quite detrimental to you.

xFWW(me)-48
Married-14 years
D-Day~23-May-11
NC- 14-Apr-11
1 DS 15
Divorced Jan 21, 2013
M
M
We didn't have any UA time, so I was feeling sad.

Anointed, UA time has got to be scheduled weekly, or it will be put aside.

You need to quit trying to persuade him to follow the instructions he has been given. Remember, you cannot take responsibility for his decisions. That is up to him. It is too hard on you to keep trying to tell him, over and over.

You need to separate from him until he is ready to do these things all the time, for the rest of your married life, without prompting from you. This is for your protection. And you need to have a plan in place for you to separate from him at any time in the future, for your protection. He has proved that he will sit back and relax and leave the important things undone whenever he gets a chance. So you will probably ALWAYS need to be ready to separate at a moment's notice, at least for years.

Well that sucks.

Here is the email Ship sent this morning:

I hope this is OK with you. I�m not the most creative, so I hope you�ll help me come up with ideas for our dates! We have one scheduled tonight, so I�m trying to come up with something that will keep us at the house/close to the house for the little girls.

UA Schedule

Anointed, do you LIKE that UA schedule? Do you like the workouts? Is there anything you wish the two of you would start doing that is not on that schedule?

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
A
OP Offline
A
Yes, I like working out. Ship is good at encouraging me.

I am concerned with the large amount of talking. We aren't so good at that yet. We are uncomfortable just sitting and talking, and I think it's because we are both scared of messing up.

I'd love to do something active...like ride bikes (which we don't have), go hiking, maybe fishing (not as excited about that one), wall climbing, maybe playing on a team together (but I get scared about that one bc I don't want Ship to get mad at me if I'm not any good), I like to paint (don't know if Ship has ever tried), couple massage...

I like really active stuff, and then when we get good at talking/sharing we could work more of that in.

I'm really glad Ship did the schedule. I feel like I beat it out of him, though.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
I took an anti-depressant last night, and I'm bummed that I still feel like I'm teetering on the edge of a breakdown.

I know it will take a couple of weeks.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
L
L
I took an anti-depressant last night, and I'm bummed that I still feel like I'm teetering on the edge of a breakdown.

Yes, it does usually take at least a couple of weeks to start to feel better using ADs. In the meantime, can you get some good exercise? That will help you feel a little better, especially since you enjoy that kind of activity.

Exercise boosts your "feel good" chemicals, as I'm sure you already know.

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Recovered thanks to Marriage Builders
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by LongWayFromHome

Yes, it does usually take at least a couple of weeks to start to feel better using ADs. In the meantime, can you get some good exercise? That will help you feel a little better, especially since you enjoy that kind of activity.

Exercise boosts your "feel good" chemicals, as I'm sure you already know.

That's true. Thank you. I had forgotten.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
E
E
I do not get the impression he is enthusiastic about ministering to others and having your story out there.

Exposure is one thing, and that is not subject to the POJA. But telling your story to strangers, or those not in a position to end an active affair is a legitimate matter for POJA.

I do not believe you are helping recovery if you insist on something for which he holds little enthusiasm.

I'm concerned that Ship thinks Marriage Builders is about ministering to other couples.

I don't think he thinks that. I'm the one who wants to minister...badly.

It gives me joy. Tremendous joy. My relationship with Ship has been hurtful, and it makes me sad to give up helping someone else by being able to reveal specific details of how recovered.

But let's be honest, it is backwards as you said.

How can I help anyone else if I'm in this state?

I understand. I've been holding out hope that one day...

I overstepped. It was an uncaring thing to be inconsiderate of Ship's feelings regarding this. He feels that I am pushing him to be healed so that I can have my way of ministering to others.

I can understand him feeling that I will find a way to have what I want based on our past. I do know how to get things done. I don't want to squash Ship in the process.

I truly do want him to forgive himself and be whole.

I recommend a myopic focus on healing the marriage. This is a pretty linear process and you must have few expectations such as he will become enthusiastic about your ministry.

That doesn't mean you don't have standards for your marriage.

When I read about your ministry it comes across that you want to heal so you can tell the whole world how you healed.

If that is the plan God has for you and Ship, it will happen in His time. If not, there is no amount of desire on your part that will go against God's design.

I know you didn't ask about this, so take anything you find helpful and discard the remains.

N
N
Anointed, I'm rooting for you and your family. One thing that jumps out at me when I read is this good guy-bad guy myth, that you all have to be perfect in order to earn UA or ENs or whatever. It is a way I misinterpreted what I was reading too. The thing is, you both can treat one another with wonderful care, every day, for your marriage, for your family, however you are feeling about that person.

Sitting and talking is hard when you are stuck in State of Conflict mode. The depression doesn't help. But you two can talk while you do something for FC time, like walk the baby in the stroller to the playground, and talk on the way and back. Then it'll be easier to talk while you're home. What do you think?

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
A
OP Offline
A
I recommend a myopic focus on healing the marriage. This is a pretty linear process and you must have few expectations such as he will become enthusiastic about your ministry.

That doesn't mean you don't have standards for your marriage.

When I read about your ministry it comes across that you want to heal so you can tell the whole world how you healed.

If that is the plan God has for you and Ship, it will happen in His time. If not, there is no amount of desire on your part that will go against God's design.

I know you didn't ask about this, so take anything you find helpful and discard the remains.

I agree. Cart before the horse and all that...

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by NewEveryDay
Anointed, I'm rooting for you and your family. One thing that jumps out at me when I read is this good guy-bad guy myth, that you all have to be perfect in order to earn UA or ENs or whatever. It is a way I misinterpreted what I was reading too. The thing is, you both can treat one another with wonderful care, every day, for your marriage, for your family, however you are feeling about that person.

Sitting and talking is hard when you are stuck in State of Conflict mode. The depression doesn't help. But you two can talk while you do something for FC time, like walk the baby in the stroller to the playground, and talk on the way and back. Then it'll be easier to talk while you're home. What do you think?

Thanks NED. We are being careful. I've been paying attention to stopping all LBs.

When the kids are around, it's very hard for me to get all of Ship's attention (of course) but he is very good at being affectionate and funny.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
Tuesday, Ship followed through on the UA schedule. He made sure the kids were in bed on time so we could discuss MB radio.

He asked me a question, "Don't you think?" that threw me off guard. I'm sure in 15 years of marriage, he's asked me that, but tonight when he asked it was different.

We spent some time hanging out on the trampoline and throwing a football in the air, looking at the stars, chatting, making out. Ended in SF.

The whole evening was really nice.

Last night we had 1 hr UA time scheduled, so we took a walk. The talk was very nice.

Starting to feel better. Not sure if it's the meds or Ship's follow through.

Not letting down my guard, though.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
Ship followed thru with UA on Wed. Thursday his grandfather passed away. We had 4 hrs of scheduled UA but we only got about 2 hrs of UA with everything going on. I figured he would drop it, but he texted me while I was out running errands to see if I was ready for our date. It was late so that's why only 2 hrs.

I thought we might be able to make up the time Friday but we ended up spending the day getting the house ready for a showing (that eventually cancelled). Then we went out of town to the viewing and to see Ship's grandmother.

Saturday was the funeral, and we spent all day with extended family.

Sunday we went to church and then tried to have UA time by discussing our financial situation and making plans on how/when to sell our house that is currently on the market.

It turned into an argument. I knew it probably wouldn't turn into a positive dreaming session, but I did hope.

So, how do I deal with extenuating circumstances that interrupt UA time? Just get back on the horse? I hope Ship does with me.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
Feeling low today. Ship has been making selfish demands (how and when he thinks things ought to be done or he gets angry), and his DJs are still a huge problem. (He blamed me for not re financing our home after he sent me several texts with refinancing info. I told him I was not going to refinance without his input and if he's going to blame he could point his finger at himself as well. He also said that he was angry that I didn't tell him how bad our finances were when I knew about it, but I told him every time I had to move money or couldn't pay the bills. I don't understand how he can point his finger squarely at me when he has left me the burden of figuring out bills and did nothing to come and assess the situation himself. I'm very upset and I won't say all the disrespectful judgements I would like to make about him. )

To his credit, for the most part Ship has been quick to correct himself and apologize. But he wouldn't stop blaming me for our financial situation. I'm very upset.

Last edited by Anointed; 08/19/13 10:59 AM.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
N
N
I have switched to threaded mode regarding our situation, under disrespectful judgements in the Surviving an Affair forum. I hope this gets through. I am very very very frustrated that my husband has still not gotten on board with the recovery of our marriage after one affair (his)13 yrs ago and another emotional affair (his) last summer. I moved out last summer after initiating divorce request which he did not want but din nothing to change a thing to repair our situation. So here we are not recovering...

M
M
Sunday we went to church and then tried to have UA time by discussing our financial situation and making plans on how/when to sell our house that is currently on the market.

UA time should not be problem solving time. It should be recreation (fun) and enjoyable conversation.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
Page 61 of 62 1 2 59 60 61 62

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,084 guests, and 80 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation