Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2566762 11/21/11 10:01 PM
M
OP Offline
M
...or are you NOT doing turkey for Thanksgiving? What's the 'weird' thing you're doing as a family tradition? Skipping cranberry sauce? Skipping TURKEY?

What's YOUR tradition? What are you looking forward to eating? Or doing? Or NOT doing, on Thanksgiving Day?

The Bliss house will be presenting a beautifully browned turkey with all the trimmings. In addition, I'm going to make traditional stuffing. As a side dish, I'm making stuffing with oysters - yum!

Who's getting up at 3 am to get a deal? Who's sleeping in? Who's got family coming in?

Sometimes we are so geared toward the emotions revolving around the infidelity that spouses inflict upon our posters that we forget to be thankful for what we have. It might not always be what we want, but it's OURS.

Take a minute and chime in on this thread as a way of remembering that there are so many good things in life!

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

M
M
I have family coming on Thanksgiving and will be making a turkey dinner with all the fixings. And we AVOID shopping on Black Friday!! I like internet shopping for Christmas... laugh

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
S
Originally Posted by maritalbliss
As a side dish, I'm making stuffing with oysters - yum!

Have never had this but it sounds sooooo good. Is it hard to make?

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
S
S
Thanksgiving is *my* holiday (at my house), and my sisters and I get together the evening before with a bottle of wine and do a lot of the prep work together so we don't have to be so crazy the day of. Traditional turkey dinner with all the fixings. smile

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
B
B
I'm frying a turkey again this year. It's thawing now. I'll set it to brine Wednesday and fry it at my mom's house on Thursday. It's always a hit, but I usually have a fight on my hands keeping the 'pickers' out of it until it's rested enough to carve.

My nephew will be there with his fiancee. Don't know if his mom (my sister) will be there or not - they are currently estranged over his decision to convert to Islam to marry her. Should be an interesting time...

We're also bringing a birthday cake. My oldest turned 8 on the 21st, and my youngest turns 2 on the 26th. Q4 is busy for us with 4 birthdays, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years!

Originally Posted by maritalbliss
As a side dish, I'm making stuffing with oysters - yum!

This was a hit in my family...for everyone but me because I can't stand oysters. I think it's regular bread stuffing and you dump in a can or so of oysters (including liquid) but cut back on the other liquids like milk or chicken stock.

Me - 44
DW - 39
Married 16 years
DS10
DS6
DD4
L
L
We're empty nesters living on a small island in the north Atlantic. We will have a couple of whole white fish, dredged in a bit of flour and seasonings and sauteed in olive oil. Potatoes on the side. A hike later in the day.

H is in retail so we have the whole Black Friday thing the day after, but since the base is so small, the day doesn't start at 3AM; rather, the store opens an hour earlier than usual--at 9AM. Life is SO simple here.

Now if we were home, as in back home, we'd be going to our daughter's in-laws home for a big turkey feast with all the children, but sigh.....that's for another year---2015, God willing.

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Recovered thanks to Marriage Builders
S
S
I'll be cooking turkey on Christmas Day, where it belongs!

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
F
F
As one who is "re-bachelored," Thanksgiving alone isn't my cup of tea. So I invited an old friend and his wife over after learning they had no plans for the day.

Since the prospect of cooking a turkey (which I've never done before) seemed a little daunting, I have ordered a suite of dishes from Whole Foods, a chain of upscale grocery stores that has quite the prepared foods section!

I'll pick up the food on Wednesday, then all I have to do is heat the separate itemss when it's time.

Preach the Gospel every day. When necessary, use words.
St. Francis of Assissi
S
S
Thanksgiving was last month sillys. wink

So how many of you have turkey on Thanksgiving and again on Christmas Day? See, that's why we have them so much further apart. And living in a border town, we get black Friday deals too. Best of BOTH worlds.

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
P
P
Originally Posted by SugarCane
I'll be cooking turkey on Christmas Day, where it belongs!

That's an odd day for turkey.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

P
P
My brother-in-law is frying a turkey for Thanksgiving this year. He's flavoring it Jalapeno Cheddar. I don't usually like fried turkey, but I'm fascinated by the flavor, so I'll probably try a little.

I'll be brining and slow roasting a turkey next week for my immediate family.

I'll be taking a pecanless pie for my other brother-in-law who can't eat pecans, and perhaps a cherry pie that my son wants to make. And I'll be taking some whole-berry cranberry sauce because my dad and I like it, and nobody else ever brings it.

I think I'll bake some homemade rolls, too.

The rest of my family should be taking care of the rest - sweet potatoes, stuffing, broccoli rice casserole ....

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

P
P
Been Black Friday shopping exactly once in my life. Don't know if I'll ever do it again. While I love shopping, I hate crowds. So much easier to shop at home on my computer smile

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

M
OP Offline
M
So how many of you have turkey on Thanksgiving and again on Christmas Day?
People, people, PEOPLE! Must we argue this?? Everyone knows that it's turkey on Thanksgiving, and HAM on Christmas Day! Sheesh! [Linked Image from pic4ever.com]

D-Day 2-10-2009

M
OP Offline
M
We will have a couple of whole white fish, dredged in a bit of flour and seasonings and sauteed in olive oil. Potatoes on the side.
That's so interesting, 51. Is it traditional to have fish on Christmas Day where you live?

D-Day 2-10-2009

M
OP Offline
M
Have never had this but it sounds sooooo good. Is it hard to make?
It's yummy! (If you like oysters! Nobody else in my family will eat them, so I have to make a little side of it for myself, in addition to the regular kind.)

It's simple - you just make your stuffing the way you normally do, and throw in a can of chopped oysters. You do use some of the liquid to help moisten the bread crumbs.

D-Day 2-10-2009

L
L
The Portuguese on this island typically fix lots of salted cod throughout the Christmas season; they relied on fish for many years as a staple.

But the no-turkey thing is mostly just us. We had only one child, and we lived overseas for 14 years, away from our family, sadly. Fixing the whole turkey dinner was just overkill for us. So we most often did funny things like a couple of pounds of shrimp or chicken, smaller stuff. If a friend was fixing a turkey and invited us, we always enjoyed it, so it's nothing against turkey.

This year, we bought a large-ish smoked turkey to bring in for the employees on Thanksgiving. At least I get to keep the carcass to make some stock later on.

Now that it's just my H and me at home, we fix whatever we feel like eating, and quite often it's fish.

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Recovered thanks to Marriage Builders
S
S
BUT MB I could eat TURKEY EVERYDAY. That`s why we have Thanksgiving in October. Then we can have turkey on BOTH. Ham is for Easter. Although, in my family we have turkey then too. I couldn`t imagine Christmas day without TURKEY faint

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
B
B
Originally Posted by Scotland
Although, in my family we have turkey then too. I couldn`t imagine Christmas day without TURKEY faint

Our family was 50-50 on ham versus turkey for Christmas day. When it was just my wife and I we had a duck...really tasty if you get the skin right...

Me - 44
DW - 39
Married 16 years
DS10
DS6
DD4
N
N
[Linked Image from mikandersen.dk]
Thanksgiving without turkey would be like:
  • Independence Day(US) without fireworks!
  • Valentine's Day without cards!
  • Halloween without costumes!
  • New Year's Day without hangovers!
  • Talk-Like-A-Pirate-Day without "Arrrrr, matey!"
Bride does the bird and sides. Yours truly does the desserts - this year Chocolate Pecan, and (from scratch) Pumpkin Chiffon pies!

M
OP Offline
M
Ham is for Easter. Although, in my family we have turkey then too. I couldn`t imagine Christmas day without TURKEY
Okay, I'll let you live grin I agree that turkey is one of God's more wonderful inventions.

But yes, ham IS for Easter. And Christmas. I think a perfect world would be ham for early dinner, and then turkey and stuffing to snack on later.

And no, I do not work for a gym. grin

D-Day 2-10-2009

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 870 guests, and 82 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation