Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2572401 12/07/11 10:14 AM
K
Kirby Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I would have added this to my regular thread, but I'm afraid it would not get much response over in the divorce forum.

A couple of weeks ago, I saw some old friends. The husband works with my WXH and I had not talked to this couple since I separated from WXH. They seemed so sad about the fact that this "wonderful marriage" had fallen apart. As I was driving home, I realized that they had no idea that my WXH had rejected his faith and had an affair.

I will be seeing this couple again this weekend along with another couple who were also good friends of ours a few years ago. Do you ever advocate doing a post-divorce exposure? I did not find MB until well into the divorce process and never did any kind of exposure to people who knew WXH. I told the kids, my family, and a few friends who were "my" friends. I never exposed to anyone who would have been considered "our" friends.

Or would exposure at this point be considered vindictive and mean-spirited? I almost feel obligated to tell the work friend, because my WXH has a public reputation as a fine, upstanding Christian businessman. Does he need to know that WXH is a liar?

Last edited by Kirby; 12/07/11 10:15 AM.

Me: BS 51
Himself: WH 53, EA/PA w/ RunnerSlut his "running buddy."
Buncha' kids. The two youngest are still minors.
Separated: 08/13/09 after 25 years of marriage
Plan D: Filed 11/13/09 Final 3/30/11
MC told me that he probably has a personality disorder
P
P
I think it is fine to give people facts.

"We divorced because of WXH's adultery"

G
G
Kirby,

You do not have to carry the burden of a secret when you have done nothing wrong, and even worked to undo the damage your WxH did to the marriage.

You have no obligation to lie to save face for your H.

God Bless
Gamma

M
M
Kirby, it is a good idea to let everyone know. You don't have to plan a mass exposure, but you will find yourself in awkward situations in the future if you don't tell people. There is no reason to help your XH cover it up.

, because my WXH has a public reputation as a fine, upstanding Christian businessman. Does he need to know that WXH is a liar?

That is a false reputation, though.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Another reason to tell others is so they can watch their own spouses around your husband. He is obviously someone who does not respect marriages, so others should know that so they can watch out for him.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

H
H
I don�t run around looking to tell people about my WXW and her actions, but if it comes up in a conversation I don�t cover it up or sugarcoat it.

I tell them, �She was going out with 5 different guys while I was deployed and I had no idea it was going on.�

I let them for their own judgments from that point.

M
M
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Kirby, it is a good idea to let everyone know. You don't have to plan a mass exposure, but you will find yourself in awkward situations in the future if you don't tell people. There is no reason to help your XH cover it up.

, because my WXH has a public reputation as a fine, upstanding Christian businessman. Does he need to know that WXH is a liar?

That is a false reputation, though.

Nothing gets a wayward to hit bottom like the TRUTH. If he is building a life based on false premises, then the truth will set him free.

L
L
I agree 150%. Its the life they chose. Might as well help them spread the good news wink

Me 37
WW 37
Married 14 years
4 boys 10,8,6,3
exposure Day 2/18/11
A started 11/2010
Divorced 7/21/2011
Has it been a year already??
S
S
Originally Posted by Pepperband
I think it is fine to give people facts.

"We divorced because of WXH's adultery"

I agree.

I read your post about that encounter and wondered if you would be telling them the truth. I know you were blindsided by the comment...but next time it comes up be prepared with, 'well, it wasn't as 'wonderful' as it seemed. I divorced XH over his adultery.'

L
L
"Yes I too thought it was wonderful until I found out about his continued adultery"

Nothing vindictive about it IMO. Just having a normal truthful conversation with friends.

Me = BH
DDay Dec. 2010
D filed Oct 2011 (by me)
D final 3/16/12
S
S
ITA with the above posters.

I too find myself running into people who know WH, and ask me all of the time how he is, we were together for 18 years and people just say it in small talk. It's perfectly okay to tell people the truth. As long as you don't say it in a vindictive way, you'll be fine.

I think it's funny how people will then say, "I'm sorry." I usually say, "Don't worry, you didn't do it." I am sure I should just say, "Thank you" though, right Pep? wink

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
P
P
Originally Posted by Scotland
I think it's funny how people will then say, "I'm sorry." I usually say, "Don't worry, you didn't do it." I am sure I should just say, "Thank you" though, right Pep? wink

I approve of BOTH responses.
Feel free to ad lib as well.
I trust your Muppet Brain.

T
T
I've personally told some very good friends of ours. I had assumed they knew because WXW was great friends with the wife. WXW lied to them just like she lies to everyone about why we got divorced.

The neighbors couldn't believe it, and have since wanted nothing to do with WXW. They have also been extra-nice to me ever since.

BH(Me)=40
WXW=38
ILYBNILWY: 8/09
DDAY: 8/31/09
Two boys: 8,7
Divorced 3/23/2011

Don't let your eyes refuse to see. Don't let your ears refuse to hear. Or you ain't never gonna shake this sense of sadness. --Ray Lamontagne
S
S
Yea, I guess that is another good reason to tell. I know that if I found out someone was an unrepentant wayward, I wouldn't want to be friends with them anymore either. Of course, if they decide to still talk to the Wayward, that's their choice, but at least this way, they know.

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
C
C
I just had my first experience of exposing to work associates. Up until now my stumbling over "separated" pretty much clams everyone up in an awkward silence until I change the subject. But last weekend at a work function I just thought, to hell with it, I am not lying any more when someone says "but you looked so happy, why?" Maybe the glass of wine I had, but in some way it was liberating to say because I didn't like the other woman and he wouldn't end it with her. After the obligatory "you deserve so much better, I can't believe he would do that and its his loss!" I changed the subject and the evening moved on.

I faced work this week knowing I would be the talk of the office, but I really don't care. Surviving an affair has made me care a lot less about what others think or say about me. And at least now I know no-one else at work will ask, lol!

Me (BW): 35
Married 1999 with no kids, DDay July 2011, OC born September 2012, Divorce final November 2012.

WXH (Gollum) is corrupted by his A, and now forever bound to it.

Plan B has set me free.

"Mourn the man he was. Know the man he is."

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 462 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation