Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
C
Sorry, I'll defer to others about how to handle this professionally.

I just wanted to comment that I am glad you are deleting her from FB. Let us know when you have. We are holding you accountable! I have been exposed to a trolling OW in the past week and discussing marital problems was the way in.

Cut contact. Run!

Me (BW): 35
Married 1999 with no kids, DDay July 2011, OC born September 2012, Divorce final November 2012.

WXH (Gollum) is corrupted by his A, and now forever bound to it.

Plan B has set me free.

"Mourn the man he was. Know the man he is."
S
S
mark, why did you give this thread that title?

You knew you were doing wrong and engaging in risky behaviour. The title doesn't make sense otherwise. You knew you were doing wrong and wanted justification for doing it anyway. That's what waywards do.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
OP Offline
M
The title was given in light of all the people I've had a chance to speak with lately about infidelity and marriage, etc. It started with a male coworker going through it. Then my wayward brother and his wife. Then a church member. Then a former church member. Then her.

It probably should have been titled something like "Helping others through the fire" because it seems I've had a lot of opportunities lately to do so. It was an honest question. Yes, the last incident may have been pushing the envelope but I had no intention other than trying to help. Nothing from the past was discussed.

By the way, this girl and I only dated for a few months and after our breakup, she tried to come back. It wouldn't work anyway because we've never lived.in the same town and I now live several states away.

BS - Me 36
WS - wife 34
Married 10 yrs
DDay - Early November 2010
WS filed Divorce 11/9/10
Divorce final 12/22/11

1 Corinthians 13:7: (LOVE) Beareth all things, believeth all things, HOPETH all things, endureth all things.
M
M
Originally Posted by marksaysay
You really think so? I don't even see her that way...but I guess it could happen to anyone. I really just want to help.
Oh, dear. Mark, please don't discuss marital problems with members of the opposite sex. That's an incredibly slippery slope to having an affair.

I wouldn't take another call from her. I think she's looking for an AP.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

M
M
Oh, forgive me. REMOVE HER AND ANY OLD GIRLFRIENDS FROM FACEBOOK NOW. There, done.
ITA. What is it with Facebook and old flames as friends??? It's like a demon seed, or something!

Sorry for the t/j, mark.

D-Day 2-10-2009

S
S
By the way, this girl and I only dated for a few months and after our breakup, she tried to come back. It wouldn't work anyway because we've never lived.in the same town and I now live several states away.

When enough time has passed, enough LB balance has been deposited on BOTH sides, and enough excuses YOU have made about why it is OKAY, these things won't matter.

Just the fact that you are making these kinds of excuses tells me how close you were coming. I am VERY glad that you decided to post this here. This way, we could point it out to you, as well as countless others(who may be afraid to post anything like this).

You are giving us the equivalent to "We're just friends." Once you need to start defending it, you've gone too far.

Heed our warning Mark.

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
P
pdc Offline
P
Mark,

Trust me on this. In the age of technology, distance will not "protect" you from a relationship. In fact, a relationship built on the written word can often develop much more quickly because of the clarity and intimacy of the words shared. Beyond that, there's video chatting.

What I read into your words here, is that this is titillating to you, and you think you can safely enjoy the attention. I may be wrong on that, but it sounds that way to me. It's not safe.

M
M
What good is what I've learned if I cant help others that I know, even if they are women?
You don't share what you know at the expense of your own boundaries, though.

D-Day 2-10-2009

M
M
mark, it sounds like you're trying to minimize this. I understand that you, personally, honestly feel it was pretty benign. We're standing farther back and have the luxury of seeing this through different lenses. Many, many affairs have begun this way. FB, Twitter and the cell phone have made it extremely easy to conduct an affair. We've got one thread going right now where the OM is in Turkey and the woman is in another country - England, I think - they're maintaining the A through electronic communication. I'm sure you seen other examples of the same thing.

Last edited by maritalbliss; 12/16/11 07:35 AM.

D-Day 2-10-2009

K
K

Oh. Puh-lease.

In my divorce group there is a woman whose marriage is ending because her husband reconnected online with an old girlfriend who lives hundreds of miles away. They have only seen each other once (or twice?) since the A started. Even so, two marriages have been destroyed and the OW's husband lost his job as a pastor.

Me: BS 51
Himself: WH 53, EA/PA w/ RunnerSlut his "running buddy."
Buncha' kids. The two youngest are still minors.
Separated: 08/13/09 after 25 years of marriage
Plan D: Filed 11/13/09 Final 3/30/11
MC told me that he probably has a personality disorder
T
T
Anytime an x contacts is that their relationship is dying, dead, stick a fork in it, and is trolling. Dollars to doughnuts.

However it's always easy to get caught off guard and not realize one has stepped on the slippery slope.

However (two for one cent sale on the word today) having a one time conversation steering someone, even an x from one's past, to MB is the right thing to do. Then go NC.

Last edited by TheRoad; 12/16/11 08:44 AM.
M
M
Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley
"I will leave you with another important point. I've already expressed my conviction that after an affair is over, there should be no contact between a spouse and his or her lover. But there is a related issue that is often ignored. When you marry, neither you nor your spouse should have any contact with any of your previous lovers. Anyone that you've ever loved is a temptation for you, and has the potential of re-igniting your feelings of love."
here

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

L
L

When I read your first post, warning bells went off!

Glad you sought advice here.

I would remove your phone number and email or any other means of contacting you from your FB acct.

If someone wants to contact you they can send you a public message on your wall. That will make it easier for you to identify "preditors" and everyone can see what is going on.

My FWH and I share a FB acct. We do not show any contact info. Only our "friends" can send us messages or post on our wall.

No info is available, not even our friend list, when someone "searches" for us.

Go to the privacy settings, then "custom." You can even pick and chose who can or cannot post on your wall. Lots of options there to protect you.

BS(me)
FWH
M '91
DS x 3

Don’t let anyone capture you with empty philosophies and high-sounding nonsense that come from human thinking and from the spiritual powers of this world, rather than from Christ.

Col. 2:8 (NLT)
L
L

Anytime an x contacts is that their relationship is dying, dead, stick a fork in it, and is trolling. Dollars to doughnuts.

However it's always easy to get caught off guard and not realize one has stepped on the slippery slope.

However (two for one cent sale on the word today) having a one time conversation steering someone, even an x from one's past, to MB is the right thing to do. Then go NC.

IMO (no offense Road) I would not even put myself in a position to have a conversation with an "x" much less one that discusses M.

Any "x's" of mine or my FWH....well, they are on their own when it comes to M. Don't care and don't want to know. Maybe I'm a "B" but our marriage isnt' worth the risk.

Last edited by Lgtex1; 12/16/11 10:21 AM.

BS(me)
FWH
M '91
DS x 3

Don’t let anyone capture you with empty philosophies and high-sounding nonsense that come from human thinking and from the spiritual powers of this world, rather than from Christ.

M
M
Originally Posted by Scotland
Also, give a long hard look as to why you deceived us at first by leaving out that she was a former girlfriend. I think you already knew that it was crossing some boundaries.

I can't say that you're not spot on. I actually laughed when I read this because I knew it was true. I left out that detail because I knew you guys would send 2x4's from every direction.

Hehe, great honesty! Isn't it amazing what the things we leave out from our stories say about ourselves? I've been 2x4'ed for that over and over again, and I learned a lot from the experience.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
J
J
So I just got off the phone with an old friend who called me out of the blue. She said she doesn't know why she called but she found my number on fb. (Just so you know, she lives in my home state which is a 16 hour drive away and a place I will not return to live unless my daughter is there). It just seems I get frequent chances to try to help marriages.

Anyway, our hour long conversation was basically her telling me her marital issues and me using MB to try to help her do what she could to get things going in a better direction.

She admitted there is SF about 5x's a month. They don't have any UA together. They don't have stimulating conversation hardly ever. She says they don't have any fun together. They work very different schedules. He is not an affectionate person and has never been.

I gave her several suggestions but she didn't agree that my suggestions would help. I told her who better to educate her husband on how to love her. She said she didn't think she should have to. I told her to see how increased SF might impact him for a while. She said she didn't want to do that. I said she should sit down and play a video game with him once a while. She said she wouldn't do that. I said find a way to get out and enjoy each other but she said he wouldn't if she asked because she's tried. I told her only option since he, from what she says, doesn't want help, won't do counseling, etc., was to try to be the best wife she could be.

What else could I tell her? She didn't say it, but conditions are favorable for her to have a ea/pa and I want to help them.

Mark,
She was definitely trolling for an affair. DANGER WILL ROBINSON

Thank you for being willing to help people but your first rule is NO WOMEN. Point them in the right direction and than turn around and run. There is a reason the Bible says "FLEE TEMPTATION". Not walk away, not run away, FLEE

BH: 46
FWW: 44
3 DD: 20,17,11
Married 24 years
PA/EA: 5/08
DDay: 6/08
NC: 8/08
Previous EA 1998 confessed 8/08
In Recovery
M
OP Offline
M
A lot of great input guys. As I've thought about it, she probably was trolling. She was so unwilling to try much of what I was suggesting, it has me wondering. To say I was surprised to get that phone call is an understatement.

Thinking back to the years after our breakup, we talked very sporadically and she would say she felt I was the one who got away. It all makes sense.

I really was just trying to help but maybe she really wasn't looking for help.

BS - Me 36
WS - wife 34
Married 10 yrs
DDay - Early November 2010
WS filed Divorce 11/9/10
Divorce final 12/22/11

1 Corinthians 13:7: (LOVE) Beareth all things, believeth all things, HOPETH all things, endureth all things.
M
M
Even if you were trying to help, and even if that was what she was looking for, do you understand that conversations of this type are the kind of conversations that deposit love units?

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
I had a similar issue. I tried to help a lady at work cuz she was complaining to me about her marriage. But I think my efforts just hardned her heart more and caused ME to be a source of contrast to her hubby. (this was all with enthusiastic agreement from my wife to try and help her with MB concepts since we both knew her) but when my efforts failed to convince her MB is what she needed and she continued to gripe about her Marriage but refused to even look at MB .. I gave up and stopped talking to her. I OBVIOUSLY was not helping. She didnt have much interest in working on her marriage.. especially if it meant she had to change.

Now .. I have to see this lady because I take care of the office building she is a receptionist at (as well as 2 other buildings) and I have NO feelings towards her at all. So now i keep my interactions strictly business. IE: change the lights in the offices, unplug toilets, etc. NO MORE FAMILY TALK! She tries to drum up personal conversation and I just tell her i gotta go, and head to another floor to fix things.

So lesson learned. My marriage is FAR too valuable to risk. I DEF dont want their drama nor do i want to be a source of contrast to be compared to.

I have had similar situations arise since then and I just stay out of it .. not worth my effort nor the headaches of caring for someone elses marriage issues UNLESS its the hubby that wants to talk about it but I have yet to experience a hubby that wants to talk about stuff like that to me. I will mention marriage builders to those that ask or give me reason to mention it and tell them that is what saved my marriage. I then tell them if they are serious about fixing their marriage they should go and have a look for themselves since its inappropriate to be discussing there marriage issues unless both spouses are there to interact with.

I do have a question about helping others though. What if you were asked by a female family member for marital coaching or help ... say a cousin or step sister? Would that be inappropriate too? I understand someone not related to you and how dangerous that can be .. but if its family?

MNG

p.s. if i need a 2x4 plz give it!

L
L
Originally Posted by MrNiceGuy
I have had similar situations arise since then and I just stay out of it .. not worth my effort nor the headaches of caring for someone elses marriage issues UNLESS its the hubby that wants to talk about it but I have yet to experience a hubby that wants to talk about stuff like that to me. I will mention marriage builders to those that ask or give me reason to mention it and tell them that is what saved my marriage. I then tell them if they are serious about fixing their marriage they should go and have a look for themselves since its inappropriate to be discussing there marriage issues unless both spouses are there to interact with.

My H and I have talked to people of the same sex. We are all about helping when needed and suggesting MB. But, and we have not come across this yet, If a person of the opposite sex asked for advice we "have a plan" we are to tell them that our spouse would be happy to talk to them about that...here is their email/phone #. end of conversation.

I do have a question about helping others though. What if you were asked by a female family member for marital coaching or help ... say a cousin or step sister? Would that be inappropriate too? I understand someone not related to you and how dangerous that can be .. but if its family?

Family matters...if it is a person of the opposite sex I would do the same as above, or tell them we could all meet as couples.

An EP is an EP is an EP...
No conversations with the opposite sex regarding personal matters.

(unless it was my brother)

BS(me)
FWH
M '91
DS x 3

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 671 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation