Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 18 of 64 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 63 64
N
N
Continuing the Lenten Season menu...

Last night for Ash Wednesday I made "Fish and Broccoli Chowder", a new recipe. Not bad, but I'd make a few timing changes if I were to make it again.

L
L
Huckleberries......that brought back some wonderful childhood memories......picking them with my cousins, brothers and mom, making huckleberry pancakes, huckleberry syrup, and pies....yummy.

That also made me think of having scrapple too.
Fun fun...now I am hungry for these!

"Get busy living, or get busy dying"...... The Shawshank Redemption.
K
K
What do huckleberries taste like, anyway, compared to other berries?

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
L
L
From wikipedia:

The fruit of the various species of plant only called huckleberries is generally edible and tasty. The berries are small and round, 5-10 mm in diameter and look like blueberries. Berries range in color according to species from bright red, through dark purple, and into the blues. In taste the berries range from tart to sweet, with a flavor similar to that of a blueberry, especially in blue- and purple-colored varieties. However, many kinds of huckleberries have a noticeable, distinct taste different from blueberries, and some have noticeably larger seeds. Huckleberries are enjoyed by many animals, including bears, birds, and humans.

Fyi, from wikpedia as well

Scrapple, also known by the Pennsylvania Dutch name pon haus,[1][2] is traditionally a mush of pork scraps and trimmings combined with cornmeal and flour, often buckwheat flour, and spices. The mush is formed into a semi-solid congealed loaf, and slices of the scrapple are then panfried before serving.

A
A
Originally Posted by NeverGuessed
Just so my colleagues here do not get the idea that we Northern folks only eat things that squirm, I post what I'm making for Super Bowl Sunday:

PAPA JOE�S 5-ALARM CHILI AND PAINT REMOVER
Ingredients
� 1.5 tablespoons red pepper flakes
� 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
� 1 tablespoon ground red pepper
� 1 tablespoon chili powder
� 1 tablespoon paprika
� 1 tablespoon oregano
� 1 tablespoon cumin
� 2 pounds ground beef
� 2 cloves garlic, minced
� 1 tablespoon oil
� 3 10.5 oz cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
� 1 16 oz jar hot salsa
� 1 cup chopped onion
Directions
1. Mix dry spices together in large bowl. Add ground beef and garlic, mixing WELL, until beef has lost its red color.
2. Heat oil in large skillet (cast iron if available) over medium-high heat. Cook and stir meat mixture until fully browned; drain excess fat. Add tomatoes, salsa, and onions; mix thoroughly.
3. Transfer to slow cooker. Cover; cook on LOW 3 to 4 hours.
4. Serve over hot rice, preferably with fresh cornbread.
Chef�s Notes
1. Steps 1 and 2 can be done in the evening, with transfer to cooker done in morning, and cooked all day.
2. LOW setting on cooker should just barely cause eventual bubbling of mixture. Cooker should be experimented with to determine specific setting.
3. Traditionally, I have prepared this in a 1.5 recipe portion, adjusting all spices, and using 4 cans of tomatoes, and 2 16oz jars of salsa.

Go Giants!
Looking sounds good....i sure will must be try this at home...i also found one this type of nice recipe from weekly magazine.I sure will must be next time post here.....Thanks for sharing this....

K
K
Ahh, I see. That may have been what I remember picking out in the country where I used to live. They were purplish things...

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
S
S
Tonight I'm looking forward to my H's delicious home-made burgers and home-made chips. Real Friday night food.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M
Sugar ..... your making me drool ... I want to fire up my BBQ now. GAH! I wish it was warmer out! The weather here keeps threatening to snow ... and thats not normal of March. frown

*dreams of a few beers .. and a few nice home made BBQ burgers sitting in a lawn chair next to the BBQ and chatting up friends*

WHere is the sun!???? Grrrr

S
S
Originally Posted by MrNiceGuy
The weather here keeps threatening to snow ... and thats not normal of March. frown
It is in the UK! We get all 4 seasons in one day, quite often! For that reason, we don't rely on the BBQ. We just put everything under the grill and eat it in the kitchen...wearing raincoats and weliington boots.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M
Well .. send some this way please! I am tired of my region living up to its name. "the lower rainland"

I mean lower mainland (British columbia, canada that is) :P

The snow comes but only long enough to drive our auto insurance rates up as people never prepare for the snow when it hits... then its gone and melts and turns to ice. Rinse repeat.

>.<

N
N
...delicious home-made burgers and home-made chips.

"Oooooh, you cruel woman", moaned the Roman Catholic, recovering cardiac patient, on a Friday in Lent!

M
M
I don't know how you people can eat hamburger. Do you know where that comes from???

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

M
M
Originally Posted by maritalbliss
I don't know how you people can eat hamburger. Do you know where that comes from???

YEah .. I dont eat beef as much as i used to .. i prefer sushi. I have really cut down on my meat since i watched that show Food Inc. Cut down carbs and pretty much eliminated refined sugars too .. lost 20 lbs since DEC! *flexes*

N
N
Uhhh, Ohio?

S
S
Home-made ones come from minced lamb with onion and other seasonings. None of your supermarket rubbish, full of dodgy ingredients, in this house!

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
S
S
Originally Posted by NeverGuessed
...delicious home-made burgers and home-made chips.

"Oooooh, you cruel woman", moaned the Roman Catholic, recovering cardiac patient, on a Friday in Lent!
Tomorrow is Saturday, so hang on until then and make you own with good quality lean meat - or have you given up red meat following the heart business?

A good Friday/post cardiac alternative is fish cakes, made with smoked fish fillets, mashed potato (don't use a lot - it drowns out the fish) a little cayenne pepper, parsley and other seasonings, egg to bind, rolled in breadcrumbs. Yum.

I've given up chocolate for lent, so I appreciate your pain, NG!

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
N
N
First of all, tomorrow's holiday meal is already bespoken - corned beef, braised cabbage, boiled potatoes and carrots....with a Guinness or two! Cholesterol be damned - It's St. Patrick's Day! [Linked Image from planetsmilies.net]

On the other, hamburger is okay in limited quantities, but would never again be teamed with your "chips". All the malt vinegar in creation would not convince my bride to set that before me!

L
L
Tonight menu features bangers and mash, fresh fruit salad, sliced cucumbers and tomato.

N
N
On another thread, HHH mentioned this one, which leads to tonight's dinner, prepared by my bride and served with a Sauvignon Blanc. It was superb!

BLACK AND TAN TILAPIA WITH ANCHOVY-LEMON BUTTER

Ingredients
5 TBS olive oil
1/4 cup chopped anchovy fillets
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
4 TBS unsalted butter
1 TBS fresh chopped cilantro
Pinch of black pepper
4 6-oz tilapia fillets
2 TBS Chesapeake Spice Blend (below)
2 TBS finely grated lemon zest

Directions
In a small skillet heat 1 TBS olive oil over medium heat. When hot, add ancovies and cook until anchovies break apart
Add lemon juice and cook until juice reduces slightly (3 or 4 mins)
Add butter, cilantro, pepper, remove from heat until butter melts. Set aside, covered.
Pre heat grill or cast-iron pan over medium-high heat.
Rub fish (both sides) with remaining oil. Sprinkle evenly with spice blend and lemon zest. Grill 2� to 3 minutes per side. Serve with anchovy butter spooned over each fillet.

Chesapeake Spice Blend

Ingredients
1 TBS Old Bay seasoning
1 TBS salt
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp paprika

C
C
I love anchovies. I had a problem with only needing a fillet or two for whatever I was making, and then I discovered anchovy paste in a tube. How awesome!

Tonight, we are sadly having Publix frozen pizzas, and only because we are going out to the boat to get ready for tomorrow's all-day cruise, where we will be having a variety of sandwiches including this one: http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2006/07/ciabatta_deli_sandwiches_with_pepperoncini_and_artichokes

(that relish is AMAZING)

along with roast beef and horseradish sammies, and BLTs. Some sides of jalapeno hummus and pita crisps, and pretzels with blue cheese dip. For the pretzels, I blend a package of cream cheese and a package of blue crumbles with enough milk to make it creamy and it is the bomb!

Yeah, my cooking is like 'no cooking' right now. I complete my finals on Wednesday, and then we're getting a grill for the boat. I smell a lot of balsamic chicken in the future. A great marinade for both chicken and corn on the grill is:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...Thighs-with-Corn-and-Green-Onions-235597

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
Page 18 of 64 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 63 64

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (sergio45), 491 guests, and 68 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation