Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2618987 04/24/12 11:23 PM
H
HTC Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Hi all,
Husband and I have been increasingly leading separate lives over the past 18 months due to conflicting work schedules and the demands of small children. We are also spiritually mismatched in the sense that while we are both Christians, my husband is devoted to his denomination and its particular practices which causes conflict in our marriage (i.e. the keeping of a full 24-hour Sabbath in very restrictive ways).

I have often felt that I am not a priority in his life; he tells me that I am but I don't see it. He spends hours each day reading his Bible and praying but has little time to talk to me. He also keeps a journal of his Bible reading which he does not want me to see. Anyway...after 2 years of not looking I actually looked at it tonight. I found a list in the back of the journal that he entitled: "Structure". He listed 7 things that he wanted to focus his day around. Going to the gym in order to be more spiritually fit was #2, bible study #3, career enhancements #4. "Time with Heather" was last on the list at #7. So there I have it, in writing. I am ready to file for separation but I am hesitant for the fact that we have 2 very young children whose lives would be upended and I do not wish to do that to them.

I am angry and sad. I feel guilty for being jealous that he spends more time with God than me, and on the other hand I feel neglected. He is an appeaser; if I tell him that we need to work on it he will say "absolutely" but then nothing will happen.

Thoughts?

HTC #2618993 04/24/12 11:52 PM
B
B
Welcome.
You will need to POJA this and come up with an "enthusiastic" decision. Until you both enjoy the same religion you should do neither.

Please listen to this excellent radio clip where Dr. Harley talks about a H and W of different religions.
At 3:45 mark on POJA on religion
Tell me what you think.

Also have you read Dr. Harley's Basic Concepts?

You can fall back in love with each other if you get 20+ UA together and be each other's favorite recreational companion and meet each other's top EN.

Please read this also. Not Enough Time together

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

B
B
Here is another excellent radio clip on Dr. Harley talking about how to "fall back in love with each other".

Radio Clip on UA and Falling back in Love

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

E
E
BrainHurts strikes again! Thanks for all of the radio clips I'm finding around the forums smile

G
G
I listened to the radio clip because this is the biggest divide in my marriage.

Is there something I can find where Dr. Harley specifically addresses a couple where one is atheist and the other is VERY religious?

C
C
I thought you were both Christians?

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
CWMI #2619150 04/25/12 02:23 PM
G
G
I'm not the OP, just posting because the radio clip and post is somewhat relevant to my situation as well....

C
C
I'm sorry...my bad!

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
B
B

Originally Posted by GeekyPrincess

Is there something I can find where Dr. Harley specifically addresses a couple where one is atheist and the other is VERY religious?
Try these.
Conflicts of Faith #1
Part 1 #2

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

B
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

H
H

So... which are you?

Trick question, it doesn't matter!

How do you handle this difference? By eliminating Disrespectful Judgments born of the differences in faith. This can also be applied to differing levels in education, different professional backgrounds, family backgrounds, etc.

Though, both you and the OP may benefit from the newer book;

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi6029_dc.html

1 Corinthians 7:12-14 - To the rest I say (I, not the Lord) that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he should not divorce her. If any woman has a husband who is an unbeliever, and he consents to live with her, she should not divorce him. For the unbelieving husband is made holy because of his wife, and the unbelieving wife is made holy because of her husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
G
G
Originally Posted by BrainHurts

Thank you for the information. And for the person that asked, I am the atheist and my husband is Mormon.

I am, and have always, embraced the parts of his religion that promote family, marriage, and respect. After all, part of the reason I love my husband is because of some of his beliefs.

Small issues arise with some of the things he was taught by his father under the veil of religion. I don't want to pass on racism, bigotry, and sexism to our children and his father is FULL of all three. And taught his children these beliefs as part of their religion. I don't believe all people of his religion believe this, but his parents try to constantly influence my husband when it comes to religion, the structure of our marriage, and how our children should be raised.

My husband and I are very good at finding a middle ground that works for us since we've had many, many discussions about it before we married and we have an agreement about future children.

I'm just trying to figure out how to POJA our beliefs with children? And how do you keep in-laws from trying to screw up your agreements behind your back? How to you get them to respect the fact that your marriage and how you raise your children WILL NOT be what they want?

M
M
[
I'm just trying to figure out how to POJA our beliefs with children?

You would use the principles of the POJA on this issue the same way you would any other issue. Learn how to use the POJA and you will be able to negotiate an agreement that makes you both happy. The same thing with your in-laws. Use the POJA.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 451 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation