Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 38 of 38 1 2 36 37 38
G
Gdar Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Yes, I have asked. He is busy and stressed with work. Same answer I have heard for almost 5 years now.

I feel I follow O&H, but the past few months have been much harder than usual because if I tell him how I am feeling, he cuts me off and says some rather harsh things, and then I no longer feel safe sharing. Lately, if I say anything that is not a glowing comment about his awesomeness, he is rude.

BS: 37
FWH: 37
EA: 2 months, ending June 08
Married 7 years
4 kids (2 together)
Hoping for a Recovery
B
B
Originally Posted by Gdar
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
No, I do not have an IM. The experience that my friends have gone through using them here in our state make them meet in a conference room and air their grievances on both sides. If I go through the state for a review, it is done on the phone.
An IM is someone you pick to "filter" messages between you and your ex. It's usually done through email?

Why would you need to go through the courts for that? It would only be pertinent information about the kids.

You're divorced why do you need any contact with him? How old are your kids?

The kids are now 14 and 15. He and I now rarely communicate unless he is texting to say he will be late to pick up the kids, or not be there to pick them up at all. The last time we did have communication is when he failed to pick our son up at midnight from a sporting event, and I got a call from the coach saying our son was still waiting for a ride. My ex continued to call me back ( I called him to see if he was on his way, but he did not answer), but I did not pick up. He text me later that he overslept and wanted to come to my house to pick him up at 1 in the morning on a school night. I replied with an obvious no. We have not spoken since.

We used to communicate freely, and we (H and I) had a friendly relationship with him until the last handful of months when he has not been picking the kids up on time, or at all. Then it leaves us scrambling to change whatever plans we have made because the dynamic has changed.

Well your kids are old enough to talk directly with their dad. Do they have their own phones? Do they tell him when they are disappointed in him?

If you had an IM you would have them reiterate the arrangements that were made and he broke. What are his consequences for dropping the ball?

Have you read up on parallel parenting? My kids are teenagers and I can't even remember the last time I talked to my ex. I don't even have his number.
Parallel Parenting

For your own peace of mind I would get an IM.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

B
B
Yes, I have asked. He is busy and stressed with work. Same answer I have heard for almost 5 years now.

I feel I follow O&H, but the past few months have been much harder than usual because if I tell him how I am feeling, he cuts me off and says some rather harsh things, and then I no longer feel safe sharing. Lately, if I say anything that is not a glowing comment about his awesomeness, he is rude.

What do you say to him when he's being rude? Can you afford the coaching center? Steve is excellent with getting Husbands onboard.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

G
Gdar Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thank you for the link, I will be reading that.

The kids have phones that their father bought them several years ago, but he isn"t very good at paying the bill, so off and on (and for the past 2 months), they have been turned off. He makes more money than we do, and only has to pay for himself. There are 6 of us, so I cannot afford to add more to the monthly budget by purchasing them phones and paying for 2 more lines.

The kids have expressed their disappointment to their father for the last 4 years, but his attitude is "you are the kid, I am the adult, I do what I want, not what you tell me I should do", so now they clam up and are afraid to talk to him. It just never gets them anywhere, so they have given up. Like I said, the oldest refuses to go with him most of the time.

There are no immediate consequences for him when he drops the ball. Over time it has resulted in a poor relationship between he and the kids, but he still chooses what he wants to do, over what he should do (be a parent).

Married 7 years
4 kids (2 together)
Hoping for a Recovery
G
Gdar Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I am looking into what we can afford. Today it is official that he is now a principal at a high school, so that will be a pay increase. As it is right now, no, we cannot afford it. I came back here to "refresh", go back over the material, and read through this 2 year long post. Eye opening to see I am in the same situation I was 2 years ago.

Married 7 years
4 kids (2 together)
Hoping for a Recovery
G
Gdar Offline OP
OP Offline
G

What do you say to him when he's being rude? Can you afford the coaching center? Steve is excellent with getting Husbands onboard.

I ask him to please talk to me in a friendlier way. Or I tell him that when he talks to me like that, it hurts my feelings. Last week, one of his replies to letting him know he was being hurtful was "oh, whatever, quit being so waa-waa". In all seriousness.

Married 7 years
4 kids (2 together)
Hoping for a Recovery
B
B
Ok since you can't afford the coaching center what about the online course?

If neither of those what about emailing Dr. Harley? If you're a caller then you can talk to him and give him the full story. Email your questions to Joyce Harley at mbradio@marriagebuilders.com.

Have you tried this? How to create your own plan to resolve conflicts and restore love to Your marriage

Also did you listen to the radio clips I posted on blended families? Do you have the book His Needs Her Needs for parents?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

J
J
Lately, if I say anything that is not a glowing comment about his awesomeness, he is rude.

Last week, one of his replies to letting him know he was being hurtful was "oh, whatever, quit being so waa-waa". In all seriousness.

Gdar, I am so sad to hear this. frown

I've written Dr. Harley about this very issue in my M, and he has encouraged me to "not stop complaining," while keeping my complaints free of LBs. Sounds like that is exactly what you are doing.

I've even had the experience of my H saying my complaint 'implies disrespect,' even when I keep it entirely free of LBs and simply ask for a change in behavior (sounds similar to that "not a glowing comment about his awesomeness" thing)

Dr. Harley's last email to me said:

"...When their wives tell them that it upsets them (makes love bank withdrawals) they have a choice. They can either accommodate their wife�s sensitivities and preserve Love Bank balances, or keep doing insensitive things and lose their love. In your case, your husband has chosen to lose your love for him.

He must learn not to do anything she wants if it�s not something that he would also enjoy. He also learns to avoiding doing anything that she would not enthusiastically agree to, not as a sacrifice, but as simply being thoughtful. Your husband has never learned that lesson, and your marriage may end because of it. However, there�s always a chance that he can see it�s wisdom and change his approach to marital problem-solving. My next article will explain all of this, so if he�s willing to read it, he may see the light. Otherwise, your marriage will not survive."

He even talked about my email on the radio program (it was either April 4th or 5th) and said the same thing. I've also heard him say recently, "It's not a 'real marriage' if someone refuses to live by the POJA and meet their spouse's ENs and avoid LBs."

The advice I receive from posters here is sometimes different from what I hear Dr. Harley say. I would encourage you to continue to be O&H, continue to avoid LBs, and continue to encourage your H to meet your ENs. Since you cannot afford Steve's help right now, I would do a 3 week Plan A campaign (if you can bear it). Then, if he keeps refusing to join you in creating a great marriage, I personally would go to Plan B....I wouldn't wait another 2 years.

I would love to hear your progress...we are in similar situations, I believe. Sometimes no matter what a wife does, the husband doesn't get on board. Perhaps separation will motivate him to do the right thing. If not, then in my opinion you've lost nothing but continued heartbreak and pain.

(((Gdar))) sigh

"When you love someone, all your saved up wishes start coming out."
Elizabeth Bowen

(Changed my profile name, as it was appearing in Google searches. Yikes!)
G
Gdar Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Ok since you can't afford the coaching center what about the online course?

If neither of those what about emailing Dr. Harley? If you're a caller then you can talk to him and give him the full story. Email your questions to Joyce Harley at mbradio@marriagebuilders.com.

Have you tried this? How to create your own plan to resolve conflicts and restore love to Your marriage

Also did you listen to the radio clips I posted on blended families? Do you have the book His Needs Her Needs for parents?

I have the book, yes. I have been on the radio show, yes (buried back in this thread from 2 years ago). Their suggestion was to get as much kid-free time together in the summer as we possibly can. Which we did our best, but did not really happen. This summer we will be able to do that more often, as our older 2 are good babysitters.

I read the links, yes. I have been here for too many years, and have tried to MB on my own, which obviously does not work. I am trying to brush up, read, learn more and hope that this summer my H will get on board. Being he just received this promotion, he loses any time off he would have had. The last year or so was much better than the previous 3, so I am taking that into account.

Married 7 years
4 kids (2 together)
Hoping for a Recovery
G
Gdar Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by Zhamila
Lately, if I say anything that is not a glowing comment about his awesomeness, he is rude.

Last week, one of his replies to letting him know he was being hurtful was "oh, whatever, quit being so waa-waa". In all seriousness.

Gdar, I am so sad to hear this. frown

I've written Dr. Harley about this very issue in my M, and he has encouraged me to "not stop complaining," while keeping my complaints free of LBs. Sounds like that is exactly what you are doing.

I've even had the experience of my H saying my complaint 'implies disrespect,' even when I keep it entirely free of LBs and simply ask for a change in behavior (sounds similar to that "not a glowing comment about his awesomeness" thing)

Dr. Harley's last email to me said:

"...When their wives tell them that it upsets them (makes love bank withdrawals) they have a choice. They can either accommodate their wife�s sensitivities and preserve Love Bank balances, or keep doing insensitive things and lose their love. In your case, your husband has chosen to lose your love for him.

He must learn not to do anything she wants if it�s not something that he would also enjoy. He also learns to avoiding doing anything that she would not enthusiastically agree to, not as a sacrifice, but as simply being thoughtful. Your husband has never learned that lesson, and your marriage may end because of it. However, there�s always a chance that he can see it�s wisdom and change his approach to marital problem-solving. My next article will explain all of this, so if he�s willing to read it, he may see the light. Otherwise, your marriage will not survive."

He even talked about my email on the radio program (it was either April 4th or 5th) and said the same thing. I've also heard him say recently, "It's not a 'real marriage' if someone refuses to live by the POJA and meet their spouse's ENs and avoid LBs."

The advice I receive from posters here is sometimes different from what I hear Dr. Harley say. I would encourage you to continue to be O&H, continue to avoid LBs, and continue to encourage your H to meet your ENs. Since you cannot afford Steve's help right now, I would do a 3 week Plan A campaign (if you can bear it). Then, if he keeps refusing to join you in creating a great marriage, I personally would go to Plan B....I wouldn't wait another 2 years.

I would love to hear your progress...we are in similar situations, I believe. Sometimes no matter what a wife does, the husband doesn't get on board. Perhaps separation will motivate him to do the right thing. If not, then in my opinion you've lost nothing but continued heartbreak and pain.

(((Gdar))) sigh

sigh, indeed. Thank you. I would love to see some progress, too. We have fallen back into our old habits the past couple/few months, and instead of being able to come out of it like we had been doing this past year or so, I was afraid we would go back too far and I would be a train wreck like I was 2 years ago. I am hoping beyond hope that starting this principalship (2x as many students and a lot more staff) we can be stronger. This will be an emotional toll on both us, which results in an emotional toll on the family.

Married 7 years
4 kids (2 together)
Hoping for a Recovery
G
Gdar Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Well, poo. I have looked high and low, and I cannot find my MB books. I recall throwing them out in a fit of "this doesnt work", but then taking them back out of the trash when I calmed down (this was a couple of years ago). Now, if I could just recall where the heck I put them.

There is no way we are going to be getting our 15 UA time for the next few weeks, now that he will be a Principal of TWO schools until the year is out, mid-June. I imagine we won't be seeing much of him before 9 p.m. This time of year is always hard on us, so I need to stay strong and just get through it.

Married 7 years
4 kids (2 together)
Hoping for a Recovery
B
B
Well, poo. I have looked high and low, and I cannot find my MB books. I recall throwing them out in a fit of "this doesnt work", but then taking them back out of the trash when I calmed down (this was a couple of years ago). Now, if I could just recall where the heck I put them.

There is no way we are going to be getting our 15 UA time for the next few weeks, now that he will be a Principal of TWO schools until the year is out, mid-June. I imagine we won't be seeing much of him before 9 p.m. This time of year is always hard on us, so I need to stay strong and just get through it.

If you don't work the program then how can the program work for you?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

J
J
There is no way we are going to be getting our 15 UA time for the next few weeks, now that he will be a Principal of TWO schools until the year is out, mid-June.

So Gdar, that's two weeks.

It sounds like you are strategically timing your conversation til his school is out. I could see how his past lack of responsiveness (and defensiveness) could make you gun-shy and want to wait for the 'perfect opportunity' - or at least an opportunity with more hope of success.

I wonder if fear of a not-so-positive response ever tempts you to put off these critical conversations. Or if you're just a truly savvy wife who understands the wisdom of timing.

You know yourself best, whether you are governed more by wisdom, or by fear.

My personal experience with complaining is that when I delayed it, my marriage was destroyed because resentment built up until I hated my H (my first go-around). Determined not to make the same mistakes again, I probably lean more toward the O&H route now with my complaints, keeping them free of LBs. However, for a long time my complaints just p*ssed off my H - I didn't get the lovey-dovey response I had hoped for. However, this brought to light more quickly the fact that my H and I have very different marital philosophies. The spiraling pain forced us to get help, and I am starting to see improvement. (3 forward, 2 back, but you know...) Our philosophies are starting to align, something which wouldn't have happened otherwise.

My personal opinion is that it's better to get stuff on the table than to try and 'suck it up.' One way or another, the problem will have to be solved. And if he's unwilling to work on his marital philosophy, better to know now and separate than to suffer 2 more years of pain.

The book "Too Good to Leave, Too Bad to Stay" by Mira Kirschenbaum helped me think through what was keeping me stuck in relationship ambivalence. It gave me the courage to deal with our issues, and gave a vision of what a great relationship should look like.

Elizabeth Bowen

L
L
Gdar

I just wanted to say that your H is my H. I know how much it hurts. ((hugs))

What do you wish you had done differently two years ago, to avoid being in the same place you are in now? Do you think Plan B would have been better? Counseling with Steve Harley?

N
N
**EDIT**

Last edited by CicadaMB; 05/31/12 05:38 PM. Reason: Please familiarize yourself with marriage builders principles prior to posting

Me: 46 = DH = INTP
DW: 45 = ESFJ
Married 13 yrs
D1: 12
D2: 10
D3: 9
J
J
Hi Gdar! Hoping you are holding up, and sending hugs your way.

((((((Gdar))))))

Elizabeth Bowen

J
J
Gdar, I've waited a long time to pester you again. I'd love to hear how you're doing, and I'm still thinking about you.

Were you able to talk to your H about getting time together? Did he respond in an empathetic and loving manner?

I hope you are well. ~ Z blush

Elizabeth Bowen

Page 38 of 38 1 2 36 37 38

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 377 guests, and 69 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation