Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17
A
OP Offline
A
I think I just need a couple of nights of good sleep.

C
C
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
I am scared for you because you don't understand the true nature of your dilemma.

X 2.

Deb, please go back and read everything that Mel has posted to you.

She posted to me too. She knew the reality of my sitch, and told me it, long before I came to terms with it myself.

I have re-read my thread now that time has passed, and I see what happened, and see that those posting to me at the start of the affair had the experience to recognise what was going on. Whereas I was blindsided and overwhelmed.

The first step a betrayed must make in combatting the affair (and it IS war) is to trust that the betrayed is not objective. The betrayed is in a fog, just as the wayward is. The betrayed insists they KNOW their spouse better than anyone here, they have loved, laughed and done all that a marriage entails. Most betrayed believe their spouse would NEVER do such a thing, would never betray, lie and deceive in such a way.

Change this thinking. The husband you knew no longer exists. The posters here know your WH better than you do. Follow the advice on how do deal with a wayward.

Me (BW): 35
Married 1999 with no kids, DDay July 2011, OC born September 2012, Divorce final November 2012.

WXH (Gollum) is corrupted by his A, and now forever bound to it.

Plan B has set me free.

"Mourn the man he was. Know the man he is."
C
C
Originally Posted by Wrinkled_Deb
Wow. My husband just had an emotional outburst and stomped out. We can't get past the first step in Plan A. No Contact! He is not looking forward to telling his "friend" that they can never see or talk to each other ever again.

He started getting angry with me, and I recognize that he is having OW withdrawals! Had I not read all of your posts over and over again, I would not have known what this outburst was all about. He admits that he likes the attention she gives to him, and he tells me that he's LONELY. And of course, his loneliness is all my fault. By throwing the blame on me, that takes the attention away from his own misconduct. Now he stomps out like he's the injured party?

This is just getting harder and harder!
This post shows to me you need to snoop, gather the evidence, and expose.

Deb, good on you for having learned from MB about OW withdrawal in the short time you have been here. I'm pleased you recognise his blameshifting. Yeah, injured party... woe the wayward huh? dramaqueen

Married 1999 with no kids, DDay July 2011, OC born September 2012, Divorce final November 2012.

Plan B has set me free.

C
C
I think I just need a couple of nights of good sleep.
Hugs Deb, I just saw this.

You are fighting a battle for your marriage (if you want to fight for it that is). Ensure you keep yourself in tip-top condition. A battle weary soldier is NOT at her prime.

First thing, get yourself to a doctor. Tell your doctor of the betrayal. Discuss antidepressants's, sleeping meds, etc. Ensure you are eating. Even when you retch the food up. Eat regular snacks that you can stomach. For me, my appetite totally disappeared. I relied on family to ensure I was eating. A handful of nuts every few hours helped as well. Little but often if that is all you can stomach. Keep the fluids up (non-alcoholic that is!)

What supports do you have in real life (IRL)? You mentioned your sister... you need support through this.

Have you told your son?

I really feel exposure is key for you. To show WH the reality of his affair with a much younger woman, and for you to gain the support.

Also, please stop viewing the OW as the victim. I did this initially too, because of the age gap. But I look back to my friends and I at this age, and there is no way we would have gotten involved with an older, married man. Any young woman chasing a married man has no morals. She is desperate to win "her prize." And right now, she views her prize as your husband. He is her meal ticket.

So what sort of fight are you prepared to put up?

Plan B has set me free.

N
N
I have not told my husband about this discussion forum. I did tell him about the MB website, and talked to him about some of the concepts. I'm keeping this forum private; something that is difficult for me to do because I never found it necessary to keep a secret from him before.

I thought that was one of the "beautiful" parts of our relationship--our openness and honesty with each other about our inner-most thoughts and feelings. I have shared my entire being with him and trusted him with every vulnerable inch of my soul, if that makes any sense.

The more information I dig out of my husband, the more betrayed I feel. How could this affair be going on behind my back for so very long? He met this girl when she was only 17! She was the girlfriend of some young man that used to help my hubby out from time to time when he needed extra day labor at his business. And my hubby has admitted that he has helped her out financially in the past. I want to explode with anger. How many years has my hubby been lusting after this girl? How many times has she gone to visit him at his place of business with her sob stories and her hand extended for some cash assistance with her troubles?

The name I chose for my screen name is an open display of my fears and vulnerability. I look down at my aging hands. They're not smooth and youthful, but show all the years of washing dishes and scrubbing floors and toilets. I look in the mirror and I see jowls forming. My sister and I have often joked about taking a trip to the "spa" which was our code word for going to get one of those "lifestyle lifts" advertised on TV. But it was truly a joke and I never felt any compelling need to recapture my youth through cosmetic surgery or inappropriate behavior. I'm the mother of a 29 year old son and I'm looking forward to becoming a grandmother someday.

Even so, I suppose every woman no matter how old they get want their husbands to desire them. My hubby always made me feel loved and desired and would remark on his own gray hair and belly that was starting to bulge. We wanted to grow old together, and now I fear that I will end up alone without the man I love by my side. The beautiful retirement that we've been planning to have together is swirling around the drain hole.

I'm sorry for venting my feelings. I'm just in a bad place right now vacillating between hope and hopelessness. I don't have the strength to be a snooper and an investigator and a suspicious babysitter of my grown husband. He either wants me or he doesn't. I'm beginning to feel like I need to leave him for the sake of my own sanity.

Aww Deb you seem like a beautiful soul!

A
OP Offline
A
Deb, I assure you this affair has gone on for a long time and has been physical. Men don't usually give women money unless there is more to the story. Did you get access to his bank accounts, emails, cell phone records? I bet you will see a long story there.

Do you have the strength to save your marriage? Because if you won't even snoop, there is not much we can do to help you. The OW will win your husband if you won't get aggressive.

Thank you for responding. I am recharging my batteries, trying to clear my head, and I will fight to save my marriage.

After he stomped out yesterday, I snapped myself off that emotional roller coaster. That's a ride I don't want to take. I cannot tolerate drama or anyone (let alone myself) sitting on the pity pot for too very long. I already expressed my feelings to him and told him what I want and need from him and he agreed.

I'm not going to punish him or make his homelife a living hell. He comes home to me for a reason, and I believe I should capitalize on my strengths and show him the woman he fell in love with and continues to love--and that's me.

I will get him to write that "no contact" letter, but last night was not the right time to push the issue. I don't want him scrawling it out in a fit of anger just to appease me. When he writes it, I want him to write it because it is what he wants to do.

My hubby returned home about 15 or 20 minutes after he stomped out and I diffused his anger immediately. We went from insane to sensible and went on to have a wonderful evening together.

And, right or wrong, I allowed my husband to engage in some cake-eating. I went to take a shower, and when he disrobed and joined me in the shower, I welcomed him. We washed and caressed each other and enjoyed the intimacy. Afterward we ordered Chinese food and cuddled on the couch.

Getting food in our bellies and a good night's sleep was something we both needed. I was still sleeping soundly this morning when he got up and went to work. He let me sleep in and left a note for me on the table: "I love you, my wife!"

I'm the one who nourishes his soul. He's addicted to ME! And that's one addiction that I want to encourage.

I will do the snooping and investigating and babysitting that I need to do to make sure my husband stays true to me. I just have to have faith in myself and know that 22-year-old OW can never replace me in his heart. And if for some reason he succumbs to insanity and throws me away to be with her, then he has lost the most special relationship he has ever known, or will ever know in his life.

M
M
Deb, you are truly amazing. I applaud you.

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Caracal
I am scared for you because you don't understand the true nature of your dilemma.

X 2.

Deb, please go back and read everything that Mel has posted to you.

She posted to me too. She knew the reality of my sitch, and told me it, long before I came to terms with it myself.

I have re-read my thread now that time has passed, and I see what happened, and see that those posting to me at the start of the affair had the experience to recognise what was going on. Whereas I was blindsided and overwhelmed.

The first step a betrayed must make in combatting the affair (and it IS war) is to trust that the betrayed is not objective. The betrayed is in a fog, just as the wayward is. The betrayed insists they KNOW their spouse better than anyone here, they have loved, laughed and done all that a marriage entails. Most betrayed believe their spouse would NEVER do such a thing, would never betray, lie and deceive in such a way.

Change this thinking. The husband you knew no longer exists. The posters here know your WH better than you do. Follow the advice on how do deal with a wayward.

Thank you Caracal. I appreciate and drink in every post and response. I have always recognized the power of education. Never too old to learn!

I want my husband to learn and grow as a human-being. In my mind, that is what life is all about. And, just from my personal observations and recognition of his growth, I believe he is a much better person today than he was 12 years ago.

When I was a young woman, I had a doberman pincher who was the sweetest, smartest dog EVER! I took her to obedience classes and learned all the techniques to teach her to sit, lie down, heel, etc. But this training required me to use a choke collar and snap it to compel compliance with commands. And I'm trying to be objective, but my husband is not a dog. I can't tether him with a choke collar and snap him into compliance. I wouldn't want him if he was just a compliant dog who responded to my commands rather than the unique and flawed, but growing human-being that I believe he is.

If my husband is not the man I believe him to be, but is a cheater and a liar and a untrustworthy betrayer of my love . . . why would I want him? My love for him doesn't give him license to abuse me, but it does give him a second chance to learn from his mistakes (and for me to learn from my mistakes) so we can move forward to build a marriage even better than the one we had.

I will give him that chance and I will do the requisite investigation and snooping to make sure he is being true, but I won't keep him on a leash for very long. That's not the kind of life or marriage that I choose for myself. I will step up to the plate and work harder (a labor of love) to meet his emotional needs--not because I have to do so to keep him, but because I want to do so. But he can't keep me on a leash either, i.e., fearful if I don't meet his needs then he will stray. If he chooses to be a stray dog, then he will lose me.

Again, maybe my head is still in the fog, but I'm thinking about the kind of life that I want to live. I'm done with the mindset that I can't "compete" with a 22-year-old. I finally realized that this is not a competition with my husband serving as the prize for the winner. I'm already a winner! I have a son, 2 sisters, 2 brothers, and numerous nieces and nephews who love and support me unconditionally as I do them. With or without my husband, I know I have a good life.

I think my husband's emotional outburst yesterday helped to snap me back to my senses. I love my husband very much and I'm going to take things one day at a time. Who knows? Maybe I'll feel completely different tomorrow, but I hope not. I have a bit of serenity right now and feel like I'm going to be okay no matter the outcome.

L
L
Deb,

It's not about either of you being on a leash. It's about living a transparent lifestyle and being integrated with each other.

Dr. Harley told me that there are some circumstances where I can trust my H and he can trust me. And there are some circumstances where we should NOT trust each other. We have to set up our lives so that the conditions that lead to affairs are avoided.

So we do all we can to live with the conditions that make it impossible, or at least VERY difficult, for either one of us to have an affair, or for that matter, have an independent lifestyle.

When my H spent money without regard to my concerns or feelings, and I called him on it, he shared all our account info with me. I have all the passwords to everything and know what's going on in our financial world.

I also have his email passwords and he has mine. That's not being on a leash. It's being transparent.

Blind trust is ill-advised. Dr. Harley says we should NOT trust each other; rather we should "Trust, but verify." This is good for the marriage, because it keeps us accountable.

My FWH does not feel at all like a compliant dog. He is relieved that I am looking and watching, because he wants to prove that he is reliable. He doesn't perceive himself to be on a leash. He really wants to be a good husband, and transparency is a great way for him to achieve that.

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Recovered thanks to Marriage Builders
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Caracal
So what sort of fight are you prepared to put up?

I'm not going to fight today.

I have a huge project sitting on my desk, and I'm going to turn my attention to that neglected matter with renewed vigor. My marriage is important and my number one priority, but the work I've been doing is important too.

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by LongWayFromHome
Deb,

It's not about either of you being on a leash. It's about living a transparent lifestyle and being integrated with each other.

Dr. Harley told me that there are some circumstances where I can trust my H and he can trust me. And there are some circumstances where we should NOT trust each other. We have to set up our lives so that the conditions that lead to affairs are avoided.

So we do all we can to live with the conditions that make it impossible, or at least VERY difficult, for either one of us to have an affair, or for that matter, have an independent lifestyle.

When my H spent money without regard to my concerns or feelings, and I called him on it, he shared all our account info with me. I have all the passwords to everything and know what's going on in our financial world.

I also have his email passwords and he has mine. That's not being on a leash. It's being transparent.

Blind trust is ill-advised. Dr. Harley says we should NOT trust each other; rather we should "Trust, but verify." This is good for the marriage, because it keeps us accountable.

My FWH does not feel at all like a compliant dog. He is relieved that I am looking and watching, because he wants to prove that he is reliable. He doesn't perceive himself to be on a leash. He really wants to be a good husband, and transparency is a great way for him to achieve that.

I agree LWFH. My hubby has agreed to give me full access to all financial records. He said, "I am an open book! Read every page! Come to my business, sit with me, and I will show you everything." I will check and verify and get his passwords and look at his phone records. I will purchase GPS trackers and install them on both of his vehicles. Believe me, I have spent hours and hours reading this site and educating myself. I definitely lost a lot of sleep through this turmoil, and I doubt that I have a firm grasp on everything just yet. But I'm trying, and transparency with extraordinary protection & safeguards is now a non-negotiable element of our marriage.

I just need to pull myself off that emotional roller coaster. I need to do it for my own sanity and I need to pay attention to my own work too. My plate is full and I can't let my work project be flushed down the toilet because my husband made bad choices. I have made a decision that has brought me some peace. If I discover that his addiction to OW is so strong that he cannot cease contact, if I discover that his affair with OW has not ended, then he loses me. That's not what I want, but it's the only thing that gives me peace of mind at this moment.

A
A
Deb,

Did OW actually leave town today with her mother?

Absolutely REQUIRE your H to write an NC letter. One of my big regrets is that when my H pitched a fit about writing one, I did not realize that it meant that he was hoping to continue the affair. Don't let your H weasel out of this.

You are on the right track with bank records, phones, etc.

AM

BW - 70
WH - 65
M - 35 years
D-day - 17 Apr 08
H broke contact 11/1/09
Back in love after the worst thing that every happened to us.
A
OP Offline
A
I just wanted to add, however, that it's not in my nature to be "controlling" of another human being. Our creator made us with "free will" and I would not want to turn into a nag and take my hubby's "free will" away from him. I think, in many respects, a person's own conscience should hold him/her accountable. Why should people feel compelled to do the right thing only if someone is watching? (God is always watching!)

If my husband is going to be a good person in general and a good husband to me in particular, then he should do that regardless of whether I am watching and holding him accountable. But the fact that we are married, in and of itself, means I should have access to all of his financial records. He should have no secrets from me in that department.

Nevertheless, if he is going to deceive me about his finances, I know that he can do that even if I have complete access to his records. He runs an active, successful retail business in a boom town with tons of cash sales. Where there's a will, there's a way. And that's what I mean by keeping him on a leash. It would be too exhausting for me to live in a constant state of paranoia that I have to check up on him regularly to ensure his fidelity. It's mission impossible. I'm not an overly religious person (more spiritual than religious), but I find comfort in the Serenity Prayer right now:

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by armymama
Deb,

Did OW actually leave town today with her mother?

Absolutely REQUIRE your H to write an NC letter. One of my big regrets is that when my H pitched a fit about writing one, I did not realize that it meant that he was hoping to continue the affair. Don't let your H weasel out of this.

You are on the right track with bank records, phones, etc.

AM

I don't know if OW left town, just know her free ride ends today--and if I find out otherwise, my husband will suffer the consequences. Her mother did send me a private message on facebook verifying that she was coming to town to get her daughter. My husband is not allowed to call OW, and I'm not going to call her either. I'm done with her.

M
M
I just wanted to add, however, that it's not in my nature to be "controlling" of another human being. Our creator made us with "free will" and I would not want to turn into a nag and take my hubby's "free will" away from him. I think, in many respects, a person's own conscience should hold him/her accountable. Why should people feel compelled to do the right thing only if someone is watching? (God is always watching!)

Deb, no one on this thread has EVER suggested that you "control" your husband or that you nag him. crazy Asking your husband to stop abusing you is NOT controlling him! And it is not "nagging" him. If a woman demands her husband stop beating her is she controlling him and nagging him? Because that is the principle you are promoting here.

If your husbands conscience is not holding him accountable, it is up to you to hold him accountable. That is what loving spouses do who care about their marriages.

Your comments are very troubling because they are very naive, Deb, and I am concerned that you are in for a very rough ride until you wake up and understand the gravity of your situation. I fear it is going to take the school of hard knocks to convince you to take the necessary steps to save your marriage. Your plan is one of wishful thinking and hope is not a plan.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
don't know if OW left town, just know her free ride ends today--and if I find out otherwise, my husband will suffer the consequences

IF you find out. You are very unlikely to find out if you refuse to snoop on him. Your husband won't suffer the conquences. It is likely this affair has gone on for some time and as yet, he has suffered no conquences. And wont in the future since you have made it clear you won't hold him accountable by taking steps to protect yourself from him.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

R
R
I will bet he is playing you Deb and you will continue to be played as long as you have your rose colored glasses and kumbaya approach to marriage.

Saving a marriage IS war. It is and if you choose not to battle for it, you will be in the dark about the reality of yours.

Read up on plan A (which you are kind of doing) and plan B (which you may need to do).

B
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

A
OP Offline
A

Deb, no one on this thread has EVER suggested that you "control" your husband or that you nag him. crazy Asking your husband to stop abusing you is NOT controlling him! And it is not "nagging" him. If a woman demands her husband stop beating her is she controlling him and nagging him? Because that is the principle you are promoting here.

If your husbands conscience is not holding him accountable, it is up to you to hold him accountable. That is what loving spouses do who care about their marriages.

Your comments are very troubling because they are very naive, Deb, and I am concerned that you are in for a very rough ride until you wake up and understand the gravity of your situation. I fear it is going to take the school of hard knocks to convince you to take the necessary steps to save your marriage. Your plan is one of wishful thinking and hope is not a plan.

MelodyLane: Thank you for your comments. You're very much to the point and tell things like they are.

I admit naivety is one of my faults. I'm too sweet and kind and loving and gentle and understanding and softspoken and giving and forgiving for my own good. Being that way inevitably leads to being hurt. I am the proverbial "Pollyanna" and I don't know how to change who I am. I have a conscience and I naturally expect others to have one too and to choose right over wrong.

But I also admit, being the way that I am, that I've had more than my fair share of disappointments when it comes to people. That is why I don't allow many people into my life.

My stress levels have been skyrocking off the charts to the point of making me both physically and mentally ill. I'm on the verge of having a major depressive episode, so I had to put the brakes on that insane emotional roller coaster I was riding. I need to calm down for my own health and sanity.

I am following Plan A. Here are excerpts from the webpage:

Plan A is for the betrayed spouse to negotiate with the wayward spouse to totally separate from the lover without angry outbursts, disrespectful judgments, and selfish demands. These three Love Busters not only ruin any effort to reach a negotiated settlement, but they also make the betrayed spouse much less attractive to the wayward spouse. Instead of encouraging total separation from the lover, the anger, disrespect and demands of the betrayed spouse make the lover appear to be the only one who truly cares about the wayward spouse. They literally throw the wayward spouse into the arms of the lover.

I'm avoiding the use of love busters.

On the other hand, if the betrayed spouse approaches the wayward spouse with respect and thoughtfulness, the cruelty and self-indulgence of the affair is much easier for the wayward spouse to understand. And once the wayward spouse's mistake is acknowledged, it's much easier for him or her to take the first step toward recovery by agreeing to never see or talk to the lover again.

I have approached my husband with respect and thoughtfulness. He has acknowledged his mistake. He has agreed to never see or talk to the OW again.

In these negotiations for total separation, the causes of the affair should be addressed. Since one of these causes is usually unfulfilled emotional needs, the betrayed spouse should express a willingness to meet those needs after the affair has ended.

My husband I have discussed the causes, and I'm going to work on meeting his most important emotional needs and he will work on meeting mine. He has agreed to transparency, his life and his business are an open book to me. He got his most recent bank statement for his business in the mail today and he copied it and sent it to me immediately. That was just the first foray into complete transparency, and there will be more to come. We want to build an affair-proof marriage.

Another common cause is a wayward spouse's failure to take the betrayed spouse's feelings into account. The betrayed spouse's inconsiderate behavior sometimes leads the wayward spouse to believe that he or she has the right to return thoughtlessness with thoughtlessness by having an affair. Willingness of the betrayed spouse to follow the Policy of Joint Agreement (Never do anything without an enthusiastic agreement between you and your spouse) helps identify and prevent instances of thoughtlessness.

My husband and I discussed the POJA and we're going to implement this into our marriage for everything, including his business decisions that ultimately affect both of us.

A third possible cause of an affair is a lifestyle where spouses spend much of their leisure time apart from each other, and form leisure-time friendships with those of the opposite sex. A plan to avoid being away from each other overnight and making each other favorite leisure-time companions goes a long way toward creating a passionate marriage that is essentially affair-proof.

My husband and I discussed this, and we're committed to spending at least 15 hours a week together (as recommended by the website) to meet our needs for conversation, and intimacy, and recreational companionship, and love-making.

In general, a betrayed spouse's effort to encourage the wayward spouse to end the affair should address all the root causes of the affair, and offer a solid plan for marital recovery. It should not be one-sided, however. The plan should make the wayward spouse and the betrayed spouse equally responsible for following the overall plan.

My husband and I are working on a solid plan for our marital recovery. He loves me. I believe that he loves me.

I've already worked on exposure and I will work on the snooping and investigative and transparency aspects to make sure my husband is not having any contact with OW. If my husband is lying to me or deceiving me, I will find out soon enough. If that is the case, then I will immediately move to Plan B.

I understand the gravity of my situation. I would not be so close to a complete breakdown if I did not. I just can't allow myself to go insane during this process, because if that happens, I have not only lost my husband--I will have lost myself too.

B
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 313 guests, and 54 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation