Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 20 of 64 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 63 64
C
C
Tonight we are having prosciutto wrapped shrimp in marsala glaze, blanched asparagus spears with lemon-tarragon dip and turkey muffeletta, on the boat while watching fireworks over the lake in the kitchen because of a surprise thunderstorm that's still raging. Tomorrow will be NY strips, grilled corn, and roasted potatoes at home. May or may not go see more fireworks.

Last edited by CWMI; 07/03/12 09:01 PM. Reason: stoopid weather

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
N
N
Sugar, there ARE some elements of our Independence Day celebration that defies rational description and defense!

BTW: Joey C won this year with 68 hotdogs in ten minutes!

But tell me the enhanced-chested scorekeepers don't add a dash of class!

S
S
NG, thank you for posting the clip. I had no idea such things are part of your celebrations! I was thinking how delicious the BBQ menu sounded, but I can't say I fancy trying Joey's diet!

How do you spend the day? Is it one long BBQ event, with friends and family dropping in? Is it as big as Thanksgiving, would you say? I hope everyone enjoyed it.

Please take pity on us. We have had so much rain since April that BBQs are becoming extinct in the UK. Soon kids will have to read about them in books to know what they once were.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
B
B
Originally Posted by SugarCane
NG, thank you for posting the clip. I had no idea such things are part of your celebrations! I was thinking how delicious the BBQ menu sounded, but I can't say I fancy trying Joey's diet!

How do you spend the day? Is it one long BBQ event, with friends and family dropping in? Is it as big as Thanksgiving, would you say? I hope everyone enjoyed it.
And fireworks at the end of the day.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

S
S
Fireworks? Just what message are you trying to give the Brits, Brainy? mr eek

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
B
B
Fireworks? Just what message are you trying to give the Brits, Brainy? mr eek

Whoa there. I'm a love and peace kind of gal. grin

Just trying to light up the skies for the gloomy and dark UK. I mean all the rain you're getting and all. laugh

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

S
S
Well, I hope you had a good day.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
B
B
Well, I hope you had a good day.
smile

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

N
N
Is it as big as Thanksgiving, would you say?

Interesting question. I think the answer would have to be that July 4th is more "public" a celebration than Thanksgiving. Except for the Macy's Parade in NYC, there is not the plethora of public gatherings that Independence Day engenders. (Info: here.)

But there may yet be a few unreconstructed Mississippians who refuse to participate, as 04 July also represents the day in 1863 that Confederate Gen Joseph Pemberton surrendered Vicksburg (and its defenders) to Gen. U.S. Grant during our Civil War. For years (like until the late 20th century) there were no celebrations permitted in that state. There is no accounting for what some people consider to be important, I guess!

Of course, in that vein, in Ol' Blighty, you economically combine our July 4th fireworks with our Thanksgiving, and celebrate on 05 November the name of a traitor , right?

M
M
Comparing Independence Day to Thanksgiving,

At Thanksgiving, the "seasonal" aisle at Wal-Mart is full of Christmas treats. At Independence Day, that aisle is full of charcoal, ketchup/mustard/relish three packs, and other goodies for cookouts. (In Texas, barbecue is a meat, not a cookout or grilling event. The proper term is "cookout," not "barbecue," unless there is actual barbecue consumed.)

At Thanksgiving, families put on their own celebration. At Independence Day, city governments or volunteer groups usually put on celebrations for the whole community. We usually spend the day with family and then show up at a city event for fireworks. Other people may spend the whole day at the city event.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
J
J
Venison steak and potatoes

L
L
Marinated baked chicken, parmesan potato, artichoke hearts, and fresh fruit salad.

"Get busy living, or get busy dying"...... The Shawshank Redemption.
N
N
Homemade chicken-and-broccoli sausages, with "dirty" rice (rice, red kidney beans and chili powder)

J
J
A simple beans and rice dinner tonight!

M
M
Broasted chicken, sugarfree cheesecake and green olives....

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

I
I
I'm having chorizo and chickpea stew tonight with sticky rice. The leftover stew freezes great.

Please take pity on us. We have had so much rain since April that BBQs are becoming extinct in the UK. Soon kids will have to read about them in books to know what they once were.

One of my favourite columnists wrote the other day that she has an eight year old son who has never seen a honest-to-goodness full on summer! I thought she was joking at first, but after counting on my hands I think she's right.

I may try to do a 'British' BBQ at some point. Coats on, blue legs, smiling bravely through the wind before we all run for cover when the rain breaks.

Originally Posted by NeverGuessed
course, in that vein, in Ol' Blighty, you economically combine our July 4th fireworks with our Thanksgiving, and celebrate on 05 November the name of a traitor , right?

Ah yes, Bonfire Night is amazing! And we always come up with the perfect weather conditions - freezing cold! Just right for a huge bonfire party, fireworks, baked potatoes and bangers right off the fire.

I used to love making Guys to go on the bonfire, too. Kids dont make them realistic enough now. Burning an effigy of Guy Fawkes on a bonfire is quite a strange tradition though, now I think on it.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

M
M

Books? What are those? Is that like a dead tree version of Google? Are they like the Internet?

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
B
B
Originally Posted by markos

Books? What are those? Is that like a dead tree version of Google? Are they like the Internet?
rotflmao

That's what our kids might think.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

M
M
Originally Posted by BrainHurts

rotflmao

That's what I think now!

Or will, as soon as a certain Dr. Willard Harley gets all his books out on Kindle...

B
B
Originally Posted by BrainHurts

rotflmao

That's what I think now!

Or will, as soon as a certain Dr. Willard Harley gets all his books out on Kindle...

I know, right! I look all the time.

BTW off topic did you hear Dr. Willard Harley say he doesn't like his name first or middle? Because Joyce was teasing the caller that if her twins end up being a boy and girl they could name them Bill and Joyce.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

Page 20 of 64 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 63 64

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 477 guests, and 72 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation