Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 24 of 46 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 45 46
C
C
She told him she would like if he asked her what she was thinking. So he did. Then she wouldn't tell him.

That's crazy-making! Is it abusive? Mentally, yes, I would say it is. I don't know how Mr. Z sees it.

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by markos
Originally Posted by Brits_Brat
I quoted the above because I agree with your DH, why should he have to leave? If this situation is so unbearable for you that it's making you sick, then leave. You can leave just as easily as he can.

Shouldn't he leave until he gets his anger under control? Is he the one abusive, or is she?

The first step toward him overcoming his anger is to take responsibility for it.

Thank you for weighing in, Markos. I appreciate your spot-on insight.

"When you love someone, all your saved up wishes start coming out."
Elizabeth Bowen

(Changed my profile name, as it was appearing in Google searches. Yikes!)
J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by NewEveryDay
Zhamila hon, I think that's awesome, setting the example in love. Making your request and letting it sit, instead of demanding an outcome. How do you feel about some light, fun UA? Not as a way of walking on eggshells, more like staying who you are regardless of the situation. If you all make it work without a separation, it sets you up for success. Or if you go to Plan B, you will have some good routines going that you can continue with.

Thanks NED. I wondered what you would think about this.

I'll think about the lite UA - which to me means RC & SF: which we did last week (makes him happy, but I come away lonely and frustrated). Do you mean something else by lite UA?

I am having a really hard time "staying who I am" regardless of the situation. I mean, when I'm alone with my kids, I am myself. But as soon as he walks in the room, I get all balled up inside.
I'll try.

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by markos
If he's not willing to say "This is wrong, this is intolerable, I don't expect you to put up with this," then, yes, she would probably have to make plans to leave.

We're not talking about being unhappy because of leaving socks out or a glass of milk on the counter. If I'm reading correctly, he is (somewhat reluctantly) taking anger management, because he can't get his angry outbursts under control.

I guess the question is, does he want to make things safe for her, or not? If he's still saying "If you are unhappy, then you leave," then he is expecting her to tolerate his angry outbursts, which sounds exactly the opposite of Dr. Harley's positions, to me.

Again Markos, your quick grasp of the situation is very helpful.

He continues to say that his AOs are 'no big deal,' that I am blowing everything out of proportion.

Even without the AOs (we're on Day 15 now...although he raised his voice to me last night), I am still having a hard time. Does that count?

Like the time I quietly whispered to him our code word for "I think you're looking at that waitress. Please don't." - He screamed at me in the restaurant, "I AM NOT STARING AT THAT WAITRESS!!!!" He said I was falsely accusing him, which is a Disrespectful Judgment. So, apart from the anger, the issue has never been resolved. He insists that I'm being disrespectful when I try to address behavior that upsets me.

So at the beginning of a 3 hour car ride, I would rather NOT tell him about my thinking he was looking at other women. I waited until there was an escape hatch for the conversation.

Anyhoo, the AOs are definitely tough...but so is the push-back when I try to get his help resolving issues. I don't want to give up but it's rather exhausting. Here's how Dr. Harley answered my letter (He is SO NICE!!)

Originally Posted by Zhamila
You bring up a very important point that I am actually writing about for an article in the next newsletter � how to get along with your wife. The problem that most men face is that their wives get upset about things they would not be upset about (such as looking at women). When their wives tell them that it upsets them (makes love bank withdrawals) they have a choice. They can either accommodate their wife�s sensitivities and preserve Love Bank balances, or keep doing insensitive things and lose their love. In your case, your husband has chosen to lose your love for him. The Policy of Joint Agreement helps men avoid that mistake by forcing them to do only what their wives enthusiastically agree with. It helps maintain their wife�s Love Bank balance.

He must learn not to do anything she wants if it�s not something that he would also enjoy. He also learns to avoid doing anything that she would not enthusiastically agree to, not as a sacrifice, but as simply being thoughtful. Your husband has never learned that lesson, and your marriage may end because of it. However, there�s always a chance that he can see its wisdom and change his approach to marital problem-solving. My next article will explain all of this, so if he�s willing to read it, he may see the light. Otherwise, your marriage will not survive.

This was back in April. Am I reading this correctly: That my H is "choosing" to keep doing things that lose my love for him?

How long does a person try? When is it ok to give up?

Last edited by Zhamila; 08/01/12 08:28 PM. Reason: I keep misspelling "judgment" Doh!

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by kerala
Nope.

She didn't characterize those incidents as "abusive". She said they bothered her. She even wondered whether they were too small to matter.

She feels what she feels. Alot of the 2x4s in this thread are along the lines that she should feel something else. Totally not MB.

Thank you Kerala. Would you mind to expand on what you see in me, here?
That doesn't mean that Z is totally in the clear here.
I'd appreciate your perspective.

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
OMGarsh...this thread is OWN FAR!

(that's "on fire" to you non-hill-williams!)

blush

Elizabeth Bowen

T
T

I don't mean to keep beating the same drum, but currently (as of right now) you and Mr. Z ARE still a couple and trying to restore your M using MB, and you just wrote that you "just" had RC and SF last week...um last week? This doesn't sound like enough UA time to even come close to restoring love in the marriage.

I get that you don't enjoy the UA time and he is not meeting your need for conversation during, but as ML told me, you may not want or enjoy the UA time at first, but do it. My H top EN is SF, when he gets this need met he is quite eager to meet my needs, and I see far more effort on his part to communicate, POJA (still workin on that one) but most of all to work to make me happy. If I thought well, we did that last week, I could not possibly meet that EN for him.

What do you consider ogling women? Is he really staring? I just wonder cuz you mentioned the waitress, is it that the waitress is attractive? He kinda has to look at your waitress. I ask because me glancing at a man that my H knows I would find attractive is an LB for him. I go out of my way to avoid doing this, but I couldn't avoid looking at a waiter, so he would not be upset unless maybe I was falling out of my chair, or something absurd, needless to say I would never do that!

B
B
Also listen to this clip of Dr. Harley talking about men "gawking" at women.
Radio clip on gawking at women

Tell us what you think.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

B
B
Listen to this clip of Dr. Harley explaining about men looking at other women.
Radio clip on Men Looking at Other Women

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

K
K
Originally Posted by Zhamila
Nope.

She didn't characterize those incidents as "abusive". She said they bothered her. She even wondered whether they were too small to matter.

She feels what she feels. Alot of the 2x4s in this thread are along the lines that she should feel something else. Totally not MB.

Thank you Kerala. Would you mind to expand on what you see in me, here?
That doesn't mean that Z is totally in the clear here.
I'd appreciate your perspective.

Zhamila, you do seem to be grasping for a plan, perhaps because you are unwilling to contemplate separation which IS recommended in some cases. This IMV led you to back away from where you were at two weeks ago and to give things one more shot. The problem is that you do not yet feel safe around your H, and that may be causing you to be super-sensitive to him.

T
T
Z,

I have a couple more points I'd like to make, just thoughts and things that have bothered me that I think you may want to consider.

Of course no one here wants to see you tolerate abuse. If he can't get his temper under control and stop the AO's then he should leave. I realize two weeks is not long enough for you to feel safe or to consider this problem over with for good. It is progress though, he is making an effort, so it is a good start in the right direction.

I think you are saying that you feel hurt and upset that he read your journal without your permission, this is an LB for you, and you are upset that after he read what you wrote he didn't apologize or do anything to validate your feelings. You also wrote that you talked about how much you hate him in these journals. I am still not sure it was against MB for him to read this, but I have to say, if I saw something my H had written stating how much he hated me, I would be very shocked, and hurt, and doubt very seriously if my reaction would be to validate his feelings under that circumstance.

I am just not sure that is even a reasonable expectation. I also have to say it does seem like you are picking and choosing what parts of the MB program you are interested in following. That is your choice BUT I am not sure if you can then put all the blame on your H that this is not working.

You have stated before that you are doing everything "right" in following MB, but that's not true. You have stated several times that you are very upset that he does not respond correctly to your complaints, maybe not, BUT you don't respond correctly to his either. You have written about complaints he has made, that you seem to just dismiss.

I think its a mistake for you to feel that you are doing everything right, because then you are also not open to change or suggestions you are getting from the people here.

Abuse is not OK, and it is not your fault if he can't get this behaviour under control. If that is the case then obviously it is time to call it quits. He is still there now, has been going to his classes, and has not had a AO in a bit, so why not get to work on really using the MB program, and working on what you can do to clean up your side of the street?

I am not trying to attack you Z, or suggest in any way that his AO's are your fault or acceptable. If Mr. Z was posting here I would have plenty of questions for him, but he isn't, you are. I really hope you guys can turn the corner here, and I think you have a real chance, many people post here trying to save a marriage, but the spouse is not interested or willing. Try to give Mr. Z some credit where it is due, for his efforts and progress. smile

P
P
He continues to say that his AOs are 'no big deal,' that I am blowing everything out of proportion.
If this is true, then there isn't much progress to give him credit for, tismeagain.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

N
N
Z, you asked me what I meant by light UA. I focused on stuff outside of the house. For us walking was good for both RC and Conversation. And going to a coffeeshop for coffee. Like others said, going to the movie isn't RC but it gives you lots of fodder for good conversation, so we did that. and country line dancing, good for affection. And We did FC, like playing soccer in the backyard, and taking the kids to the park or for a walk at the beach. Stuff you just had to "show up" to, didn't need preparation and would be hard to do wrong. It doesn't come naturally to AO on a walk or in a coffeeshop in front of others. I set us up for success as best as I could. My focus was on Good Conversation, since it was a top EN for both of us. I used to read that friends of good conversation article every day before B came home. I knew at that point I had understandably become the one who was a bigger danger in the marriage, the one with one foot out the door, so I kept asking myself what I would be enthusiastic about.

But you know what is special and meaningful for you two. Make it as easy as possible to get your EN for conversation met. Take a look at the RC inventory and see what would meet intimate ENs for you two.

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
T
T
Great suggestions NED! I like the idea of keeping it simple and they could even grab a movie from red box or whatever then discuss.

I was listening to MB radio earlier, I had a small distraction happen, but thought I did hear Dr. Harley say that if you are still living together UA time should still be a go, regardless. I will be listening again to make sure I did hear that right.

P
P
I liketheidea of keeping it simple and they could even grab a movie from red box or whatever then discuss.
Z, skip the movie smile Your lovebank is so empty that you need some serious UA time.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by tismeagain
What do you consider ogling women? Is he really staring? I just wonder cuz you mentioned the waitress, is it that the waitress is attractive? He kinda has to look at your waitress.

He watched her walk around and go to other tables for about 10 seconds. In the meantime, I was sitting there waiting for it to end.

Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Also listen to this clip of Dr. Harley talking about men "gawking" at women.

Tell us what you think.

Thanks BrainHurts! Listening now.

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Zhamila, you do seem to be grasping for a plan, perhaps because you are unwilling to contemplate separation which IS recommended in some cases. This IMV led you to back away from where you were at two weeks ago and to give things one more shot. The problem is that you do not yet feel safe around your H, and that may be causing you to be super-sensitive to him.

Kerala, my heart sank when I read this. You are right.

Two weeks ago I was ready to end it, had retained a lawyer, was filing for divorce (as Steve told me to do when I couldn't go on). Then my H emailed me, "Try again?" I felt compelled, as if I "should" honor his request even though I really didn't "want" to.

When I heard Dr. Harley say (on the radio today) to the BW that he "wouldn't bat an eye if she decided to divorce her WH" but that "if she stays, she needs to start building a romantic relationship with her H," it really hit me. That's what I've done. I've checked out....but I haven't filed. This is a total wasteland.

I have GOT to 'fish or cut bait.' I must decide what I am going to do - and do it.

I guess I'm just a chicken - I wanted HIM to leave, give up, whatever so I could say that "he ended the marriage." Which is a bunch of passive-aggressive garbage. And I really thought he'd do it, since he's threatened to leave me once a week for the past 3 months. Doh! wink

Kerala, thank you so much for being honest and kind at the same time. I can really hear what you are saying and I appreciate your insight very much!

I AM super-sensitive around him (totally agree) and I do not feel safe around him. This means I have to get down on it and either work WITH him to create a safe environment, or separate. Spot-on.

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks for your response, TisMe.

Would you please remind me when I talked about this on the forum? I can't remember, and I'd like to fix it.

Originally Posted by tismeagain
You have stated several times that you are very upset that he does not respond correctly to your complaints, maybe not, BUT you don't respond correctly to his either. You have written about complaints he has made, that you seem to just dismiss.

Thanks.

Elizabeth Bowen

N
N
A year from now, 2 weeks or 4 weeks won't make a difference. The worst thing you can do is separate/divorce and then take him back too soon. My mom did that and it terrorized us to think we were free of my stepdad only to have him come back again. If it takes another week to get the information you need to really make it stick until you are for sure set up for success, then that's better for your family I think.

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
B
B
The impression I have had from the outset of your thread is not that you wanted to recover your marriage but, rather, that you wanted validation from others that your husband is a dolt and you should divorce him immediately. I do not feel you ever wanted to recover your marriage because of the way you were constantly finding fault with his very being. So, now you have it.....

Page 24 of 46 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 45 46

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 251 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation