Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 27 of 64 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 63 64
M
M
Originally Posted by indiegirl
Though I'm sure shredded suet is a difficult ingredient to get in the US and its essential for the dumplings.

crazy

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Though I'm sure shredded suet is a difficult ingredient to get in the US and its essential for the dumplings.

crazy

Mmmmm!

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Lard is readily available and might make a great substitute! smile

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Found a page on how to shred suet:

http://www.joepastry.com/2011/shredding-suet/

B
B
Originally Posted by markos
Found a page on how to shred suet:

http://www.joepastry.com/2011/shredding-suet/
Thanks markos.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

M
M
crazy

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
crazy

First you cut out all the carbs in your diet, now you turn your nose up at good healthy fat! What's left to eat???

S
S
We had six tapas and a jug of sangria at a Portuguese restaurant, for �17 (about $27) with an Amazon voucher.

We had calamari, chicken wings with black pepper seasoning, Portuguese chorizo, sardine pate and seafood pate with bread, a bowl of fries and giant prawns (you have some funny name for these) in a buttery sauce. It was all too delicious.

We are at home now and there is a chocolate tarte waiting for my husband to break into. I will refrain from eating that!

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
I
I
OK its not a 15 min meal that's for sure! A weekend one no doubt.

Get a whole chicken/or 3lb chicken pieces (with bones)
2 whole carrots topped and tailed
2 whole celery stalks
A whole leek
2 onions peeled and quarted
Springs of Parsley, rosemary and bay leaves
Generous seasoning

Put the lot in a big, covered stew pot, bring to boil and simmer on a low heat for three hours. Skim any foam that comes to top.Chicken should be falling apart.
Discard the vegetables and remove the chicken, leaving the stock in the pan. When chicken has cooled, slice into bite size pieces, throw away skin etc but keep some larger bones for the pot bundled up or in muslin for removal later.

Put chicken back in pot and add:
2 chopped carrots
1 chopped turnip/parsip
A potato
A chopped leek
A chopped celery stalk
1/2 cup pearl barley
A teaspoon each of dried oregano and thyme

Bring back to the boil, simmer for at least another hour - the longer the better. (Second day stew is better)

For the dumplings, use 200g self raising flour, 100g shredded suet (NOT vegetable suet), approx 10 tablespoons cold water (enough to make a firm dough) 2-3 tablespoons chopped parsley.

Mix with hands into a dough and divide into 16. Use floured hands to carefully shape into balls. A floured surface helps too. Drop into bubbling stew and ensure lid is on tight so dumplings cook in the steam. Should take half an hour for them to be ready, they should have fluffed up in size and a skewer should come out of a dumpling cleanly when they are ready.

Eat with crusty buttered bread.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

I
I

crazy

Hahahaha. You don't know what you're missing!

I
I
Lard is readily available and might make a great substitute! smile

It would make a dumpling, but it wouldn't taste the same. My grandmother and her sisters used lard to make everything. But for pastry and dumplings it had to be suet.

M
M

crazy

We are Americans!! We don't eat foreign foolishness!! sigh

EXCEPT tacos and Chef Boy Ardee canned lasange! laugh

Exposure 101

M
M
crazy

First you cut out all the carbs in your diet, now you turn your nose up at good healthy fat! What's left to eat???

I love FAT!! I just don't eat foolishness! sigh

Exposure 101

K
K
What we do is get a pot or slow cooker, cook chicken and veggies overnight in Cream of Chicken soup, and then when it's almost time to eat, cut the Pillsbury (or equivalent store brand) biscuit dough in half, and chuck it in there too. That's how we make 'em. Delicious. laugh

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
M
M
Originally Posted by karmasrose
What we do is get a pot or slow cooker, cook chicken and veggies overnight in Cream of Chicken soup, and then when it's almost time to eat, cut the Pillsbury (or equivalent store brand) biscuit dough in half, and chuck it in there too. That's how we make 'em. Delicious. laugh

yepperoonee!!

Exposure 101

I
I

crazy

We are Americans!! We don't eat foreign foolishness!! sigh

EXCEPT tacos and Chef Boy Ardee canned lasange! laugh

You're totally right, I don't think your system could take it.

One taste of suet and you'd be spelling colour and labour with a U, and complaining about Royal Mail's late post deliveries and too much rain!!!!!

I
I
Originally Posted by karmasrose

I do want a slow cooker. And I can get my hands on the soup....

But British people have zero idea what a 'biscuit' is in this context.

What we call biscuits in the UK are sweet, like cookies and you dunk em in your cup of tea.

I did see a good recipe for pork and beans with biscuits on an American food channel. It looked yummy but its stretching my imagination a bit to think what they may taste like!

Anyone got a good foolproof biscuit recipe for someone who has never eaten them or seen them made?

L
L
I will try and find my mom's biscuit recipe......she makes thes best ones ever.

"Get busy living, or get busy dying"...... The Shawshank Redemption.
K
K
My grandmother had a great one, but she was like many Southern cooks and had no recipe, she played it by ear.

Sometimes I feel so frustrated, so many recipes I could have done! But no one knew the measurements or cared to write them down!

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
I
I
Luckily I just had to call my Auntie Josie on the phone. Nabbed it!

I keep a plain notebook for recipes as I get them from all over. I so rarely get time to cook that I'll never learn to do things by ear.

Except for Scouse. Scouse is the dish of my city, Liverpool and no two houses make it the same way. I don't make mine the same way as my mother. I've never heard of anyone having a written down recipe for it either, you play it by ear.

Oh and Victoria sponge. My mum says just weigh your eggs and the rest of the ingredients should weigh the same. Drop of vanilla essence and whisk lots of air in.

I know the theory by ear but her sponge is so light and incredible I'm intimidated to try it myself!

I'll stick to making the jam for the middle of the cake. I make cracking jam.

Page 27 of 64 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 63 64

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 481 guests, and 59 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation