Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 29 of 64 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 63 64
M
M
Originally Posted by SugarCane
My skinny family can eat those things, but I have to stay off them altogether.

Same with me. I avoid that stuff for weight loss reasons AND because eating them throws my glucose levels into a pre-diabetic stage.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

J
J
Brown rice is only "the good stuff" in comparison to white rice, which has no nutrients to speak of. Brown rice is not especially nutrient-dense. It's main value is carbohydrate, which isn't particularly useful to the body. There are many foods that are very low in carbohydrates and higher in vitamins than brown rice.

Starchy foods like brown rice, wholewheat bread, wholewheat pasta and potatoes are stodgy and filling. Being filled up by them is a nice feeling, and it has its value on cold winter nights (like we are having tonight), but they are not efficient suppliers of nutrition. We can live easily without them and find much less starchy foods to provide vitamins and minerals.

My skinny family can eat those things, but I have to stay off them altogether.

I use the rice for carbs. Of course I consume massive amounts, about 2 cups of cooked rice daily sometimes more.
But I burn it all off.
I think the main thing is to stay away from fast food and cook at home. And exercise regularly. Walking or running burns 100 calories per mile. I ran 13 miles last weekend and burned 1300 calories!

C
C
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
My rule of thumb is to always shop the OUTSIDE of the grocery store. Buy fresh meats, vegetables, eggs, cream and only go inside to pick up nuts. The vast majority of the food inside is junk food.

Amen

C
C
Originally Posted by HDW
I use the rice for carbs. Of course I consume massive amounts, about 2 cups of cooked rice daily sometimes more.
But I burn it all off.
I think the main thing is to stay away from fast food and cook at home. And exercise regularly. Walking or running burns 100 calories per mile. I ran 13 miles last weekend and burned 1300 calories!

Yes exersize is very important, but putting in good fuel to pump through your body is more important.

With all that running it makes sense that you burn it off.

Carbs is the measurement of fuel, and calories is the measurement of heat produced..So excersize and metabolism has a lot to do with it all.

If your muscles can burn, and are burning carbs, because you keep them active, you don't need to worry about how many carbs you put in, usually, you will burn them off usually, that is as long as you spend your time working the muscles enough. It all depends upon your metabolism, which is the rate your body burns up the carbs, producing heat,(Calories)

I used to work 12+ hours a day doing incredible physical work, and I was very strong too, and take in 1500 calories a day, as an insulin dependant diabetic, yes lots of hard work, and I still had to push my plate away, because I trusted fact over feelings. Usually when I pushed it away and trusted the facts, I found something else to do, than worry about what I ate.

I picked vegetables and small portion of meat, and very small portions of carbs and of course lots of water all day and vitamins. Once picked and eaten, I was done with eating, that was all I needed.

The american diet/ fast food/pizza/all added to my becoming a diabetic at age 28...it pays to watch what you eat, and there is more to life than work...So I learned what I needed, took in that amount only, and pushed my plate away. Eat lite and more importantly, eat right.. That and excercise,(yes even though I worked that day, and mostly stretching prior), was key to overall good health.

Now Im 54 and so out of shape, I can get by on 500 calories a day...Thats just about my vitemans plus a sandwich,(Made from low fat turkey with no dressing, on good bread)

My body knows it is in trouble, and moving and working out has fallen by the wayside for the time being, but I know exercise has to be included with everything I eat, and I know I dont have to eat a ton of calories/carbs to have strength either.

I think thats a myth that most people believe when they go to work in the morning, that you have to eat tons of food to have strength...Breakfast is important.."Breakfast like a King..Lunch like a Prince..and Dinner like a Pauper"...But to much is just to much, and that has become a real problem with people worried if they will have enough energy to make it to lunch.. they overeat. Our kids are overfed, stay inside and dont go out to play, and for Gods sake..they don't work at anything it seems. I mean work too, that stuff you hate to do because it is for someone elses benifet it seems at the time, but in the end you find out that it was for yours. You work because your told to, and sometimes that is all you need to learn what obedience to the facts means, many times before you even are old enough to know what the facts and reality are.

With so much information out here on diet and exercise, how much of our troubles are just because we are not disciplined to the facts and reality?

Last edited by ConstantProcess; 11/04/12 07:54 PM. Reason: metabolism

Me 56 Former BS
Widowed 5-17-09 --married 25 years.
4 children
DS-35 previous marriage--18-22 DGrandSons 6 and 4
Me former BS
DD-29 with DGDs 5 and 1yr
DSs 26 and 23
Teilhard de Chardin..“We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.” ...Sounds about right to me.
N
N
MAJOR OLD-CODGER THREAD-JACK ALERT!!!!!

With so much information out here on...,...how much of our troubles are just because we are not disciplined to the facts and reality?

Fill in the blank at your pleasure.

...diet and exercise...
...personal moral behavior...
...fiscal responsibility...
...effective child-rearing...
...societal financial management...
...sustainable energy policies...
...marital support and care...
...the looming climatic disasters...
...self destructive substance abuse...

END OF THREAD-JACK!

C
C
Originally Posted by NeverGuessed
MAJOR OLD-CODGER THREAD-JACK ALERT!!!!!

With so much information out here on...,...how much of our troubles are just because we are not disciplined to the facts and reality?

Fill in the blank at your pleasure.

...diet and exercise...
...personal moral behavior...
...fiscal responsibility...
...effective child-rearing...
...societal financial management...
...sustainable energy policies...
...marital support and care...
...the looming climatic disasters...
...self destructive substance abuse...

END OF THREAD-JACK!

You forgot Thread-jacking the friendly dinner thread to educate people about diets and metabolism..

Oh yeah and the looming climatic disasters,,solstice in dec 2012...

No I refuse to join a thread that comments on it, might read it for laughs though..

Lol all those problems are dealt with with discipline to truth and reality that you listed NG...lol

C
C
Nope sorry, facts and truth are not the same thing. My statement was questioning facts and reality, not truth and reality.

From what I read, the bible stated that the world was round, before the spanish explorer sailed around it. It became a fact after he sailed around it, before that it was true, and a truth too, but until he sailed around it it was not a fact.

So though my statement was last listed as "discipline to truth and reality" which I can say that our troubles are mostly because we lack that in our lives, my first statement was to "facts and reality".

Long as I am talking about the word..

Faith is the substance of things hoped for, and the evidence of things not yet seen.

A substance...reality of existence. it is right in front of you, because you hoped for it..us prisoners of hope. What we have to do is deal with it, and make it so..

Evidence, well here it is, and it hasn't even happened yet, but we still call it evidence..

Yeah my second statement still stands though "all those problems are dealt with with discipline to truth and reality that you listed NG" Of course reality, what a concept..

And they dare call faith a foolish dream

Me 56 Former BS
Widowed 5-17-09 --married 25 years.
4 children
DS-35 previous marriage--18-22 DGrandSons 6 and 4
Me former BS
DD-29 with DGDs 5 and 1yr
DSs 26 and 23
Teilhard de Chardin..“We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.” ...Sounds about right to me.
J
J
I met a representative of the American Cancer Assoc at a Marathon recently and he told me that most cancers are preventable through diet.

I had my 9 yr old son run a 5k race as I ran the 15k recently. I get all my kids involved with exercise.

My dad stopped in a diner a long time ago, and there was Jack Lelane. Eating bacon eggs and hashbrowns. My dad spoke with him briefly and asked him, Why are you eating this food? Jack answered that exercise is the most important.

S
S
Originally Posted by ConstantProcess
You forgot Thread-jacking the friendly dinner thread to educate people about diets and metabolism..
You mean with comments about brown rice being nutritious?

How is it a thread jack to talk about nutrition on a food thread, and why does it annoy you? Because some of the comments did not agree with yours?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M
Originally Posted by HDW
My dad stopped in a diner a long time ago, and there was Jack Lelane. Eating bacon eggs and hashbrowns. My dad spoke with him briefly and asked him, Why are you eating this food? Jack answered that exercise is the most important.

I guess Jack LaLanne knew more about proper nutrition than most, which is understandable. Hash browns aren't that healthy, but bacon and eggs are. Eggs are the most healthy food you can eat.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

C
C

How is it a thread jack to talk about nutrition on a food thread, and why does it annoy you? Because some of the comments did not agree with yours?
Lol SC,

J
J
Brown rice with spam. And tomato juice to drink

M
M
My dinner:

broasted chicken from Sam's Club
sugar free cheesecake
homemade guacamole [1 avocado]

one of my favorite meals!! laugh

Exposure 101

T
T
Here is my menu for tonight - my son is staying with me now for awhile, so have to make for two now: ground round on top of white rice - yea SC White Rice, it Does have good protein content - topped with mushroom soup and green beans or steamed broccoli on the side

From my limited reseearch on nutrition, and also based on taste preference, here are my favorites (and they are relatively inexpensive in quantity):

Breakfast: simply oatmeal (the 'old fashioned' type, not the instant or the steel oats - every morning! Add a touch of brown sugar if you like and add a white fruit - sliced fresh banana or canned pears (in water). High in protein for a cereal, high fiber content, and moderately high in

Lunch: I can't comment on this - I usually do not eat a lunch.

Dinner: A) fresh salmon (baked) or salmon loaf with salmon out of the can or even right out of the can. Last summe when so hot here just served it right out of the can with steamed broccoli and pineapple chunks. B) tuna noodle casserole (white tuna of course (less mercury content), C) Lemon baked chicken breasts - cut off all the yellowish fat from the chicken fillets. Serve this with mushrooms mixed in White Rice with a touch of soy sauce, and broccoli or green beans. D) Macaroni beef saute - ground round (only), elbow macaroni, canned and fresh tomatoes, celery, green and red peppers diced, onion, garlic, (lots of it) worcestershire sauce, hot sauce (if you like). E) Frozen fish fillets, White RIce with a touch of soy sauce, and steamed brocoli. Only top the baked fillets with juice squeezed from fresh lemons - no tartar sauce at all. Yea the fillets are usually pollock, but fairly high in protein. and moderate in salt and collesterol F) A quality black bean soup with anything else as a filler. I use a brand beginning with the letter 'P', and is high in protein and fiber, and moderate in salt. G) Pizza is not bad either, a couple of times per month. A basic pizza from the frozen section, which in itself would taste pretty awfull, but toped with diced green peppers, diced onion, green or black olives, some sliced pepperoni (I know - any sausage is not good, but tastes so cood if in moderation), finally topped with slices of fresh tomatoes and mushroom - lots of mushrooms - really good And nutritional! H) Grilled peanut butter sandwiches (slightly grilled) on whole grain bread only. Serve with black bean soup - about 19g of protein, low fat and good fiber.

Final things - do not use anything except olive oil to cook or saute your food and take plenty of Vitamin C (I use Ester-C).

Then...when you get up in the morning have your oatmeal for breakfast (with your favorite fruit) all over again.....

Good luck and good health.

Tom

N
N
Pizza is not bad either, a couple of times per month. A basic pizza from the frozen section, which in itself would taste pretty awfull, but toped with diced green peppers, diced onion, green or black olives, some sliced pepperoni, finally topped with slices of fresh tomatoes and mushroom

Well, Tom, given the amount of "customizing" you perform on the generic cardboard/pizza from the store, and your level of culinary acuity, I'm surprised you don't take the simple next step of making your own crust and pizza sauce.

Do it once, and you'll say, "Boy, that was easier than I thought!" Do it twice, and you'll say, "I'll never eat frozen pizza again!"

Anyway, good to hear from you.

C
C
Yes,
Thanks Tom

C
C

Have time to properly respond now SC so I guess I need to explain maybe a little...

Yeah I guess the comments and food diets don't completely agree with what I have noticed in my own life as positive results, but they by no means do not have their merit, and because there is so much information that can be gained it reminds me of Something Fred Villari said once about Martial Arts..

"If Bruce Lee and Kung Foo movies can help someone to get involved in Martial Arts, that's great, but Martial Arts is much more involved with inner peace and staying healthy"

All knowledge is important, and it all has to be proved out, and I am happy to share my experience too for all of us to gain...Its no secret..its diet and excercise..both, in a balance.

So forgive me for being so passionate about how I feel, and at the same time forgive me for stating the belief that most of Leviticus from the good book had a good idea about proper diet, and that saying from somewhere in the Holy book, "If you don't work, you don't eat", seems to also ring true.

Its too bad that people eat at night, and IMO mess up their system, instead of eating to work, eating becomes their only reward. To me that's backwards. To me working is a priveledge, afforded by eating good and right.

Being a diabetic I had to learn about the balance of food and excersise and good health. It was an eyeopening experience.

Sorry if I was too passionate expressing them on a thread that celebrates the long understood sanctity of "breaking bread". I think that everything is good when it is in balance.

In the words of Forrest Gump, "And that's all I have to say about that"

S
S
I have no problem with your being passionate about how you feel. It was you who seemed to be ticked off at my saying what I have learned.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M
[
Sorry if I was too passionate expressing them on a thread that celebrates the long understood sanctity of "breaking bread". I think that everything is good when it is in balance.

Even hydrogenated oils? Arsenic? grin

Exposure 101

C
C
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
[

Even hydrogenated oils? Arsenic? grin

Lol Mel

Page 29 of 64 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 63 64

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 454 guests, and 81 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation