Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 34 of 64 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 63 64
S
S
Why are you doing it a day late? Is this a one-family attempt to help the economy?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M
We don't always hit holidays right on the day around here. I don't actually know why we scheduled for Friday this year, but I know my parents-in-law were at someone else's house for Thanksgiving yesterday.

Get enough relatives, and you need two days worth of holiday to visit them all!

Did you guys get to go Christmas shopping today on your side of the pond? You realize this is supposed to be the biggest shopping day of the year!

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
S
S
Our busiest real-life shopping day is usually the Friday before Christmas. The BBC said that it was that day last year and the year before: Busiest shopping day of the year predicted.

The biggest online shopping day is said to be the last Monday in November: 'Mega Monday' - busiest online shopping day of the year?

So you see, we pay no attention to your Black Friday nonsense!

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
C
C
Originally Posted by SugarCane
So you see, we pay no attention to your Black Friday nonsense!

What about the Mayan calendar? Are you Brits at least in touch with what day the world ends? Or should I say the day the clocks start running backwards and north turns to south?

Lol "Black" Friday? It sounds like a pagan ritual day anyways roflmao..

If it is to help the economy..why would it be Black? Oh so we can get into the black instead of the red? Still..it is a misnomer as far as I am concerned, lol. And who cares if the merchants are in the red, because they bought too many.."GI Joes with the Kung-foo Grip", to sell at Christmas...

Why cant we go back to feasting for days in holiday seasons? Right when we were done eating and cleaning up and visiting at Thanksgiving dinner, they broke out the laptops and were searching the sale sights for shopping deals...lol, surprised that the Easter Bunny hasn't hitched a ride on Santas Sleigh, and broke into the Elves clubhouse, and donned thier colors...

Oh yeah,,then they would be back.."In the Red"

Me 56 Former BS
Widowed 5-17-09 --married 25 years.
4 children
DS-35 previous marriage--18-22 DGrandSons 6 and 4
Me former BS
DD-29 with DGDs 5 and 1yr
DSs 26 and 23
Teilhard de Chardin..“We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.” ...Sounds about right to me.
N
N
CP, ix-nay on the abbit-ray alk-tay on this ead-thray!

If you recall last Christmas, we were chatting about holiday dinners, and SOMEBODY posted a photo of Blitzen, shot, gutted, and dressed!

Let the little guy have until Easter before he has to dodge projectiles, okay?

C
C
Originally Posted by NeverGuessed
Let the little guy have until Easter before he has to dodge projectiles, okay?

KO..

T
T
Constant - I think the brits are still fuming over getting their butts kicked in the revolution.

Anyway, from my experience now many hungery and down and out and fewer donors. It seems those who can afford are tightening for their own sake. Pantries are having to advise clients how to get by on less, including where I work, so from training and education and experience we're advising clinets how to eat well but still make things stretch. Someone here metioned a negative on white rice awhile ago. That was idiotic. White rice is a staple - has 5g of protein per serving and 2g fiber. I had that the other night with a can of chili - cost $2.42.

Point is, we're not stretching enough til it hurts.

Tom

C
C
Yeah Tom, I know, rice has been a staple for many people for a long time, just like bread has, and they put that down too..

For some people in America, and other countries, they would welcome Dog food to eat.

If your working in a shelter or food bank, I understand Tom, because those in need in that extreme, are hard put just to get by..

The advice against rice and bread and other simple carbs is mostly directed at those that take in more than they need in food calories a day, and don't burn them off either.

Although I am a proponent of "Eat light, and eat right", the first thing is to eat, and for some, it is hard

M
M
White rice and bread is junk food. Empty calories that jack up one's blood sugar and cause increased hunger when your blood sugar plummets an hour later. Jacking up your blood sugar for junk food means the pancreas must release excess insulin to recoup from the blood sugar spike. Excess insulin weakens immunity and leads to various diseases. It is crap food that has no health benefits.

White rice has the same amount of protein and carbohydrates as a snickers bar but we don't extoll the virtues of snickers bars, do we?

If you want to help poor people, then don't give them junk food that will impair their health. Give them healthy foods like eggs, cheese, beef, turkey, fish, chicken and nuts. Don't give them garbage that harms their health.

Sorry to post TruthSpeak but I am shocked that anyone in this day and age could promote white rice and bread as a health food. c'mon people!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by Tom2010
Someone here metioned a negative on white rice awhile ago. That was idiotic. White rice is a staple

What is idiotic is believing that white rice is good for you in this day and age when we have so much good science about proper nutrition out there.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

J
J
If people exercise its not a problem.
Eating white rice or bread isn't killing people.
Being fat and obese kills people.

Last edited by Jedi_Knight; 11/28/12 09:56 PM.
J
J
I had fudge for dinner.
Kids had pb and j.

M
M
Originally Posted by Jedi_Knight
If people exercise its not a problem.
Eating white rice or bread isn't killing people.
Being fat and obese kills people.

Eating rice and white bread contributes to obesity. It is excess junk carbs that causes obesity, heart disease and diabetes. One cup of rice has 45 grams of carbs and a piece of white junk bread has 23 grams of carbs.

Exercise does not compensate for the damage this type of food does to one's insulin levels.

Exposure 101

M
M

Diabetes Risk: White Rice Joins White Bread

Originally Posted by MedPage Today By Kristina Fiore, Staff Writer, MedPage Today
Published: March 15, 2012
Reviewed by Dori F. Zaleznik, MD; Associate Clinical Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston and Dorothy Caputo, MA, RN, BC-ADM, CDE, Nurse Planner
A meta-analysis of four cohort studies found that consumption of higher amounts of white rice was associated with an increased risk of type 2 diabetes compared to eating the lowest amounts.

Note that the association was highest for the Asian population.

Eating more white rice may up the risk of type 2 diabetes, especially for Asian populations, researchers said.

Patients who ate the greatest amounts of the grain had a 27% greater risk of developing the disease than those who ate the least, and the relative risk was higher among Asian patients, Qi Sun, PhD, of Harvard, and colleagues, reported in BMJ.

"Although rice has been a staple food in Asian populations for thousands of years, this transition [to more sedentary lifestyles and greater availability of food] may render Asian populations more susceptible to the adverse effects of high intakes of white rice, as well as other sources of refined carbohydrates, such as pastries, white bread, and sugar sweetened beverages," they wrote."

Exposure 101

J
J
I agree.
But the last paragraph explains its being fat that's dangerous.
Not eating rice

M
M
Originally Posted by Jedi_Knight
I agree.
But the last paragraph explains its being fat that's dangerous.
Not eating rice

Agree that being fat is dangerous. And it is excess carbs like RICE that cause obesity. Rice makes people FAT because it is excess glucose that is stored as body fat. Carbohydrates make people obese. Rice is a high carbohydrate food.

Exposure 101

J
J
Yes I understand.
That's why people need to exercise.
Running OR walking burn the same calories....roughly 100 per mile.

At this point carcinogenic fast food and lazy bums that watch tv or play video games all day are a bigger danger than rice.

I did start eating more eggs after your post about them. They are very cheap.
I also like to use Tabasco sauce with eggs. Or tapatio hot sauce

M
M
JediK, with your interest in nutrition and obesity, you might really enjoy Gary Taube's "Why We Get Fat." It is a fascinating, well researched book on nutrition. One of the very best out there.

Good for you for adding eggs to your diet!

Exposure 101

J
J
Money has been very tight and the eggs are, as you said, very cheap.
I cook them with corn tortillas.
And a little sour cream.
And frozen oj concentrate is only 99� a can so it's very satisfying meal.

I also like to poach them when I cook rice.

M
M
Do you like baked ham? Baked ham is a good source of nutrition and it is usually fairly cheap. Another great source of nutrition that is less expensive is brisket. If you can get that in your area, it is cheap but very nutritious. You can cook it for 20 minutes each side on the grill and then wrap it in foil and slow cook it in the oven on 250 for 1 hour and 15 minutes per pound. It will last you all week and makes for some healthy, delicious meals. Just add some veggies and some homemade cole slaw. I found a fairly simple brisket recipe right here: here

The thing I love about brisket is that a)it is very nutritious and b) it has good fat on it and will keep you full for HOURS. I can eat 1/4 lb of brisket, a boiled egg and a cup of green beans and feel full for 6 hours.

Exposure 101

Page 34 of 64 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 63 64

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 481 guests, and 59 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation