Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 35 of 64 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 63 64
M
M
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
White rice has the same amount of protein and carbohydrates as a snickers bar but we don't extoll the virtues of snickers bars, do we?

Packed with peanuts, Snickers really satisfies!!!

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Originally Posted by markos
White rice has the same amount of protein and carbohydrates as a snickers bar but we don't extoll the virtues of snickers bars, do we?

rotflmao

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

C
C
Sorry to post TruthSpeak but I am shocked that anyone in this day and age could promote white rice and bread as a health food. c'mon people!

Its still food, and easy to digest and turn into energy, maybe not health food, but for the people on the street any food is health food, when you are hungry.

You don't have to be sorry for posting the truth Mel, I for one am glad you can help people with thier diets, and dispel the myths so prevelant in the american diet.

But Tom I believe was talking about the poor who maybe don't have the resources to eat from the garden, or get good protien from eggs, and fresh meat. To them a can of Dinty Moore beef stew is a feast, with some bread and butter, and a glass of milk..

Tom maybe you should start another thread, about the plight of the homeless, and what they have to eat, instead of interupting the feast of the knowledgeable people who eat what is right, and not just because they are hungry.

Me I had a turkey sandwich on wheat bread with mayo tonight, and a couple cans of corn, with some salt and pepper..Couldn't afford to shop for a special diet, and of course I would like to someday, as eating right is always what I would prefer, being a diabetic. But I am challanged to just eat, because I take insulin, to keep me alive, for 26 years now. I am sure my poor diet as a working man attributed to my diabetes when I was younger, but I had to work and feed my kids, and even taught them good diets, even if I had already became a diabetic. Its tough to please them, with how fastidious they have become also.

But when you are n the streets of Ballymer, having an insulin reaction, at 10PM at night, because you have been working all day, and you are by yourself, trying to make rent money, you will either eat a big mac, or pass out all alone..Then how will you pay your rent? You will eat what you have to, to get the job done, and I expect there are many out there, that will do the same.

Yes Mel the american diet is atrocious, but if you are gonna burn calories to work, bread and rice and other stuff will get the job done.

That doesn't mean you have to give up on the ambrosia of red meat, but sometimes you take what you can get

J
J

Lol. Snickers now has a Marathon bar

C
C

Lol used to carry a large Snicker bar with me hunting in the winter in the northeast. It was frozen but was great if my sugar got low.

Of course I allways had one available for insulin reactions too, and sometimes that is all that stood between me and a reaction...

But yeah they suck for long term energy, they are only good for short term, and are poor nutrition

J
J
Do you mean canned baked ham?
Or the ham in the freezer section?

Also how long will an uncooked defrosted turkey last refrigerated? I defrosted it a week ago. Can I still cook it?

M
M
Originally Posted by Jedi_Knight

I would check in the fresh meat section and the frozen meat bunker. You can sometimes find a good shoulder roast on sale. Cut it up and freeze part of it for later.

Also how long will an uncooked defrosted turkey last refrigerated? I defrosted it a week ago. Can I still cook it?

Has it been defrosted for a week or was it frozen a week ago and has been thawing out for a week? It should be thrown out if it has been defrosted more than 2 days.

That is another thing you can get cheap right now. Grocery stores usually reduce the price of turkeys right after Thanksgiving. You can freeze some. Cook one up and make turkey soup with the leftovers and freeze it in individual portions in freezer bags. Here is a good recipe: http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1939,147169-238200,00.html

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

L
L
There's also recent concern about arsenic levels in rice. Even with a tight budget, rice doesn't have to be a main food source, beans are good, too. Black beans have a fair amount of protein for example. White bread? Avoid it as much as possible! Refined sugar, too! These simple carbohydrates slam the body with more glucose than it can handle at one time causing the insulin producing cells to kick into high gear and then the excess glucose gets first stored in the liver. Then what doesn't get stored into the liver gets metabolized into fat. When trying to lose weight, the body uses what's stored in the liver first, then goes to using the fat stored in the fat cells.

Anyway, I think it's a shame that the cheapest foods are also killers if used as a staple in one's diet. When we were on a tight budget, I used leg quarters a lot! Green beans, too.

xFWW(me)-48
Married-14 years
D-Day~23-May-11
NC- 14-Apr-11
1 DS 15
Online course July '11 to July '12
17 sessions with S. Harley Feb '12 to Sep '12
Divorced Jan 21, 2013
M
M
Originally Posted by lifetimelearner
These simple carbohydrates slam the body with more glucose than it can handle at one time causing the insulin producing cells to kick into high gear and then the excess glucose gets first stored in the liver. Then what doesn't get stored into the liver gets metabolized into fat. When trying to lose weight, the body uses what's stored in the liver first, then goes to using the fat stored in the fat cells.

Amen Lifetimelearner!

We should be giving the poor good healthy food that doesn't impair their health and make them fat and diabetic.[and hungry!] In this land of plenty with food stamps so easy to get, there is no excuse for giving them junk food when eggs and cheap cuts of meat and canned vegetables are so easy to get. I don't eat junk food and I am sure not going to give anyone food that I wouldn't touch with a 10' pole.

I don't even give my DOGS junk food. I check the content of their food and make sure it isn't loaded with junk food like rice and corn.

Exposure 101

M
M

I would. It probably didn't even finish defrosting in the center until just now.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
C
C
Now we are talking, homegrown vegetables and beef/meat being cooked for the homeless..where are those available at btw?

J
J
Jesus gave loafs of bread to the people on the sermon on the mount

C
C

The bread of those days was different than the junk they pass as bread now.

But it is noted, and appreciated, that grain from the fertile crescent was the backbone of nutrition, at one time..

Just another opportunity for american and foriegn manufacturers, to make dough...

I would like to find out what was in those loaves, and in the bread of those times, and make it a staple in my house too.

Lol, in biblical days grain was used to measure gold on the scale, and guess what was the valuable commodity prized above the other?

Three guesses and the first two don't count..

M
M

It doesn't mean our modern day, highly refined bread is healthy, though. Jesus also fished and gave us animals and very nutritious vegetables, fruit and eggs. I don't think he expected us to ruin our health eating foods that have little nutritional value that cause obesity and diabetes.

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by ConstantProcess
Now we are talking, homegrown vegetables and beef/meat being cooked for the homeless..where are those available at btw?

At any grocery store in America. The same place we get rice, bread and any other junk food.

Exposure 101

J
J
I bought a ham at the store today.
I look back and question why I haven't been buying hams in the past.
I'm going to buy it regularly.

M
M

You makka me smile... smile

Exposure 101

N
N
Chicken Livers and Green Beans in Onion/Mushroom Sauce over Brown Rice

Continuing the nutrition/expense discussion, I did a bit of accounting, and this came to (for ingredients) under $1.50 per serving:

$1.29 - 1 lb livers
$1.09 - 1 lb beans
$1.40 - 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
$0.35 - 1/2 packet onion soup mix
$0.60 - 1 cup sliced mushrooms
$0.20 - i onion
$0.25 - 1 cup 2% milk
$0.30 - 3 Tbsp butter
$0.33 - 1 cup brown rice

Obviously not a perfect solution (canned soup, salt content of onion soup mix) and one should not make a steady diet of organ meat, but this just makes the point that nutrition need not be disregarded for reasons of supposed "economy".

C
C
Originally Posted by NeverGuessed
Obviously not a perfect solution (canned soup, salt content of onion soup mix) and one should not make a steady diet of organ meat, but this just makes the point that nutrition need not be disregarded for reasons of supposed "economy".

Oh that is absolutly true NG, if you have somewhere to cook, and get educated, you can eat and live well, cheaply.

The homemade dinners are always cheaper, I used to have it figured out, per serving, but I forgot...

Just can't trust the USDA anymore can we?

L
L

How are you planning to prepare it?

I am looking for a good, no, a great honey baked ham type recipe.

"Get busy living, or get busy dying"...... The Shawshank Redemption.
Page 35 of 64 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 63 64

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 495 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation