Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2689268 12/08/12 04:14 PM
J
OP Offline
J
It's been a year since I found out about my husband's affair. We had some marital issues right from the beginning (married about 21 years) since I am pretty open about my feelings and R is not. Over the years I would try to get close to him, but he would pull back; which would make me angry, so I would push his buttons (meanly) to get a reaction from him. Wrong thing to do. He just internalized all the bad stuff.
He eventually left me for a week. I had to take a hard look at myself and admit what I was doing was wrong. I worked really hard on our relationship, biting my tongue and approaching conflict in a much more positive manner, and was very conscientious about showing him I love him. During this time, he started an Internet relationship, which blossomed into more. She lives far, far away ; so he took "business trips "and flew down to see her. I was stupid. With my husband's job, it was believeable that he needed to help maintenance crews. Plus, our home relationship was getting so much better...we became friends again, enjoyed time together,became more affectionate and intimate. I was so proud of us.
One day at work, two of my coworkers showed me an email they had received from a woman S, who was "trying to get in touch with me ". S had hacked into my Facebook site and contacted 7 of my friends. The email was devastating, ...telling me of the whole affair with my husband. The affair lasted about 2 years.
AfterI confronted R, he told me pretty much everything. Said she had been trying to contact me and our son to tell about the affair since he had recently "called it off ". I have since found out from others that S is a nasty piece of psychological work (think Glenn Close)
Wow. This is long. Sorry.
At this point ( a year after I found out), I am still so angry and hurt. We 'he gone to a counselor and R tries to show me he loves me ; but I can 't make myself believe it. I am still devastated. I really have no one to talk to. I had to hide my hurt around my son for the past year (tip he went off to college) so no one understands why I 'm still hurt. I can 't talk to my mom (dementia) or my dad ; my friends try to help but can 't figure out why I can 't "get over it ".
My self esteem ducks. I get hurt/angry over stupid things.
Really, people, how long does this take?

B
B
Originally Posted by justsodamhurt
It's been a year since I found out about my husband's affair. We had some marital issues right from the beginning (married about 21 years) since I am pretty open about my feelings and R is not. Over the years I would try to get close to him, but he would pull back; which would make me angry, so I would push his buttons (meanly) to get a reaction from him. Wrong thing to do. He just internalized all the bad stuff.
He eventually left me for a week. I had to take a hard look at myself and admit what I was doing was wrong. I worked really hard on our relationship, biting my tongue and approaching conflict in a much more positive manner, and was very conscientious about showing him I love him. During this time, he started an Internet relationship, which blossomed into more. She lives far, far away ; so he took "business trips "and flew down to see her. I was stupid. With my husband's job, it was believeable that he needed to help maintenance crews. Plus, our home relationship was getting so much better...we became friends again, enjoyed time together,became more affectionate and intimate. I was so proud of us.
One day at work, two of my coworkers showed me an email they had received from a woman S, who was "trying to get in touch with me ". S had hacked into my Facebook site and contacted 7 of my friends. The email was devastating, ...telling me of the whole affair with my husband. The affair lasted about 2 years.
AfterI confronted R, he told me pretty much everything. Said she had been trying to contact me and our son to tell about the affair since he had recently "called it off ". I have since found out from others that S is a nasty piece of psychological work (think Glenn Close)
Wow. This is long. Sorry.
At this point ( a year after I found out), I am still so angry and hurt. We 'he gone to a counselor and R tries to show me he loves me ; but I can 't make myself believe it. I am still devastated. I really have no one to talk to. I had to hide my hurt around my son for the past year (tip he went off to college) so no one understands why I 'm still hurt. I can 't talk to my mom (dementia) or my dad ; my friends try to help but can 't figure out why I can 't "get over it ".
My self esteem ducks. I get hurt/angry over stupid things.
Really, people, how long does this take?
Welcome to MB and sorry for your pain.

You're still hurting because you haven't recovered from your WH's affair. Dr. Harley has an excellent plan to recover from infidelity.

Is the OW still in contact with your WH? Is she married? Who all did you tell?

Has your WH changed all his contact information?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

J
OP Offline
J
Thanks for replying. Haven't really told many people. My family knows, and his mom knows. The 3 women I work closely know (they're the ones who had to tell me...felt bad for them), and my neighbor whose husband just walked out on her.
I 'm not sure who else knows (you know how gossip is loved), which makes me feel humiliated sometimes.
R has come pretty clean about breaking off the affair. She was persistent about keeping contact until he threatened legal action.
I looked at the "recovery plan " a year ago, but I think I wasn't ready to hit it head on since my son was still home, and I couldn't face all the pain.
I 'll give it a go now.

B
B
Thanks for replying. Haven't really told many people. My family knows, and his mom knows. The 3 women I work closely know (they're the ones who had to tell me...felt bad for them), and my neighbor whose husband just walked out on her.
I 'm not sure who else knows (you know how gossip is loved), which makes me feel humiliated sometimes.
R has come pretty clean about breaking off the affair. She was persistent about keeping contact until he threatened legal action.
I looked at the "recovery plan " a year ago, but I think I wasn't ready to hit it head on since my son was still home, and I couldn't face all the pain.
I 'll give it a go now.
You need to tell your son the truth about his father's affair.

Is OW married?

Are you 100% sure he isn't still in contact with her? What snooping techniques do you have in place?

Can you afford the MB online program? They give you a coach and you have immediate access to Dr. Harley.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

B
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

M
M
Hi justsodamnhurt, welcome to MArriage Builders. I am sorry for the reasons that bring you here. It is pretty normal that you feel this way a year after finding out, but I will just tell you that most marriages NEVER recover from affairs because they don't follow the steps outlined by Marriage Builders. They end up in a crippled state of the pre-affair marriage and the resentment grows and festers every year.

You don't have to be like that if you use this program to create a FANTASTIC marriage. If your present is happy, you don't tend to live in the pain of the past.

The WAY to do that is to first affair proof your marriage and remove the conditions that led to the affair. If you have a very integrated, transparent marriage, your husband could not create a secret second lifestyle necessary to have an affair. The next step is to use these concepts to create a romantic, passionate marriage.

I would get the book, Surviving an Affair and follow the program in there. It is completely different from other programs in that it creates romantic love in your marriage. I don't know of any other program that does that. And it really does work.

Here is an outline of Dr Harley's program:

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley in Requirements for Recovery
The plan I recommend for recovery after an affair is very specific. That's because I've found that even small deviations from that plan are usually disastrous. But when it's followed, it always works. The plan has two parts that must be implemented sequentially. The first part of the plan is for the unfaithful spouse to completely separate from the lover and eliminate the conditions that made the affair possible. The second part is for the couple to create a romantic relationship, using my Basic Concepts as a guide.

I'll describe these two parts to you in a little more detail.

The first step, complete separation from the lover and eliminating the conditions that made the affair possible, requires a complete understanding of the affair. All information regarding the affair must be revealed to the betrayed spouse, including the name of the lover, the conditions that made the affair possible (travel, internet, etc.), the details of what took place during the affair, all correspondence, and anything else that would shed light on the tragedy.

This information is important for two reasons: (1) it creates accountability and transparency, making it essentially impossible for the unfaithful spouse to continue the affair or begin a new one unnoticed, and (2) it creates trust for the betrayed spouse, providing evidence that the affair is over and a new one is unlikely to take its place. The nightmares you experience are likely to continue until you have the facts that
will lead to your assurance that your husband can be trusted.

An analysis of the wayward spouse's childhood or emotional state of mind in an effort to discover why he or she would have an affair is distracting and unnecessary. It takes precious time away from finding the real solutions. I know why people have affairs: We are all wired for it. Given certain conditions, we would all do it. Given other conditions, however, none of us would do it. So the goal of the first step is to discover the conditions that made the affair possible and eliminate them.

After the first step is completed, the second step is to create a romantic relationship between you and your husband using my 10 Basic Concepts here
as your guide. While your relationship may be improving, it won't lead to a romantic relationship because you are not being transparent toward each other. Unspoken issues in a marital relationship lead to a superficiality that ruins romance.
here

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

J
OP Offline
J
Thanks for the posts!
My head is kinda' spinning right now. Just need to take a deep breath and move forward. My husband is really working on making me feel more secure, but didn't realize how I felt about all his Internet work and all the phone calls he receives. He is willing to show me all his contacts, but I feel a bit stupid doing that. After reading some posts and the articles, I realize this is needed for me to move on.
Not sure how to tell my son,though.
Hearing from people who have been through this and have good marriages is such a boost. I know it won't be easy. My husband and I just have so much good in our relationship that letting it die would be stupid.
Hearing from you is wonderful. The advice is wonderful.
Thank you for helping me and us

M
M
My head is kinda' spinning right now. Just need to take a deep breath and move forward. My husband is really working on making me feel more secure, but didn't realize how I felt about all his Internet work and all the phone calls he receives. He is willing to show me all his contacts, but I feel a bit stupid doing that. After reading some posts and the articles, I realize this is needed for me to move on.

One of the best ways you can create trust is to secretly place a keylogger on his computer and spyware on his cell phone. This will restore your trust more than anything he does and help you relax. We can help you find some good software to buy to do this.

What kind of phone calls does he receive? What does he do on the internet?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Please take the time to read these 2 threads about just compensation and the necessary extraordinary precautions to avoid another affair:

extraordinary precautions

Can't We Just Forgive and Forget?

Exposure 101

I
I
You really must tell your son.

He will be disappointed and hurt by his actions, but he won't stop loving him any more than you did.

We all know how far the dagger goes in when this happens to you.

Be assured you are in the right place to feel better.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

J
J
You wrote "he told me pretty much everything" and later added "he has come pretty clean." Why the qualifiers? Is sounds like you still have doubts about his level of openness regarding the affair. Also, you wrote that the other woman had been trying to contact you and your son to disclose the affair. Obviously, she was successful in disclosing the affair to you. Is there any chance she was also successful in disclosing the affair to your son? Is it possible that your son already knows and has been keeping it secret to try to protect you?

Q
Q
Please do not feel humiliated by your husband's affair, or feel humiliated because now some people know about it.

You didn't do anything wrong, and no intelligent person should judge against you because of something your husband did behind your back.

BH (me), age 30. Plan D final 1/1/13
P
P
Not sure how to tell my son,though.

College age:
"Son, I am going to share something very painful and very personal with you.
As you know, I went through some dark times of depression.
I am ready to tell you the cause of my pain.
Beginning (date) and ending (date), your Dad was involved in an emotional and sexual adultery with (first & last name). I never guessed this was going on until (names) informed me. I am grateful they let me know, so I could confront your Dad. This was the beginning of the end of the affair. Your Dad and I have been working on our marriage ever since. The reason you need to know about (name OW) is that she threatened to tell you all about their affair if Dad tried to end it."

Then, keep the other details of their affair to yourself.

Last edited by Pepperband; 12/10/12 12:34 PM.
P
P
I suggest you do this in person, during the upcoming college break.

J
OP Offline
J
My husband is a maintenance manager and also has a side job. He receives a lot of calls. He is being very good about showing me call records and emails he receives. He has asked to be conferences in to seminars instead of having to go out of town.
As far as accountability goes, his two main coworkers know the situation and are really being supportive to both of us. They know R 's going out of town is not going to happen.

J
OP Offline
J
He doesn't give me every bit of information. When I ask him questions he 's forthcoming with information. But sometimes I find out I want to know more as we move along.
We read about transparency, which is difficult. But we 're finding that it really does help.

J
OP Offline
J
Oooof.
Not going to be easy. Right now R and I trying to figure out, ...do we tell him together? Separately? When 's the right time, etc.
It's doubly hard because our son is just now becoming comfortable with himself as a young man.
Thank you for a suggestion how to discuss this with him. It's. At least a starting point for me to work with.

M
M
My husband is a maintenance manager and also has a side job. He receives a lot of calls. He is being very good about showing me call records and emails he receives. He has asked to be conferences in to seminars instead of having to go out of town.

This is not a reliable way to hold him accountable. He can show you anything he wants while deleting other things. A reliable measure would be to put spyware on his phone and a keylogger on his computer.

Exposure 101

M
M
Oooof.
Not going to be easy. Right now R and I trying to figure out, ...do we tell him together? Separately? When 's the right time, etc.

It is best for you to tell him alone. The right time is the soonest time. There is really no such thing as a right time. But the sooner the better.

Exposure 101

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 600 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation