Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
N
N
LOL Zhamila, we hit a bump in the road, but I'm still hopeful. It's taken me some time and some trying circumstances to get past that "broken home" label and see my family for how strong we really are, man or no man. But like folks here recovering from infidelity, you know it's something every marriage is vulnerable to, you take what steps you can to affair proof, or in this case violence proof, your marriage, and then trust yourself to know you can handle whatever comes.

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
N
N
Originally Posted by Zhamila
I mean I can be single, but I just wanted so much to have someone care for me (and I for them). I talked to a girlfriend who has been married for decades...why are they making it and I couldn't? I feel like there is something really wrong with me.

It just hurts. frown

I hear you. I have been feeling this way all week too. But look at the bright side.....we've come through this, scarred but we're making it! And think of all we've learned! And how prepared we will be to make our NEXT marriage (because hopefully there will be one) so amazing.

I was talking to a friend about this yesterday - almost the exact same words! And she told me there is a plan for all of us, and we just have to keep thinking positively. If we don't want to be alone, we won't be. And sometimes what we WANT (ie, the person we were married to and wanting to hard to just have that perfect happy family) isn't what's BEST for us. It all becomes clear in the long run. So I've chosen to follow this creed....and hope for the best!!

I know it hurts. I hurt too. But there have to be bright times ahead.....we've gotten all our bad karma out of the way!

Me: BW, 27
Him: WH, 29
DD 4
DS 1
Married 07/25/09
A began end of 08/2009 (possibly sooner)
D-Day: 3/31/10
2nd D-Day: 4/9/2010
3rd D-Day: 4/21/10

Plan B (shortlived as it was): 18/05/10
WH decides to work on marriage: 20/05/10
False Recovery, Back to Plan B: 13/08/10

Filed for D Feb 2011, D April 2012

Looking forward to the sunshine and rainbows life should hold for us all!
J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Logans_Run
Mine played a renter who convinced me for many years he was a buyer....but really is a freeloader/thief/and a liar among other things. Easier to see once away from the drama and abuse. The longer I am away and in plan b the easier it is to see. I still look back and think how could I have been so blind? Then I shake it off because of the ongoing long term emotional abuse.

It is a long road to walk, not just getting the D, but everything that comes with an abusive relationship and the healing from it all. This site has been a godsend for myself. As tough as things have been, I am really blessed. You will be as well. We have time in front of us for healing. hug

Thanks for the encouragement, LR! I am trying to see all the good things about my life free of him, rather than dwelling on all the pain. But you're right: I think it will take a while. I can feel myself go from being really suspicious of all men to just feeling really sad and a little stupid.

It's good to know that others have made it through smile

"When you love someone, all your saved up wishes start coming out."
Elizabeth Bowen

(Changed my profile name, as it was appearing in Google searches. Yikes!)
J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by NewEveryDay
LOL Zhamila, we hit a bump in the road, but I'm still hopeful. It's taken me some time and some trying circumstances to get past that "broken home" label and see my family for how strong we really are, man or no man. But like folks here recovering from infidelity, you know it's something every marriage is vulnerable to, you take what steps you can to affair proof, or in this case violence proof, your marriage, and then trust yourself to know you can handle whatever comes.

Good point, NED. I was wondering what the "Extraordinary Precautions" would be for an abusive, violent spouse???

I'd dearly love to know...

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by NewPetals
I hear you. I have been feeling this way all week too. But look at the bright side.....we've come through this, scarred but we're making it! And think of all we've learned! And how prepared we will be to make our NEXT marriage (because hopefully there will be one) so amazing.

I was talking to a friend about this yesterday - almost the exact same words! And she told me there is a plan for all of us, and we just have to keep thinking positively. If we don't want to be alone, we won't be. And sometimes what we WANT (ie, the person we were married to and wanting to hard to just have that perfect happy family) isn't what's BEST for us. It all becomes clear in the long run. So I've chosen to follow this creed....and hope for the best!!

I know it hurts. I hurt too. But there have to be bright times ahead.....we've gotten all our bad karma out of the way!

Yes!!! I read this PhD dissertation called "Empathy and Male Entitlement" about battering husbands. It said that research shows women who have survived an abusive relationship actually can have MORE self-esteem than normal - because they've really been through something difficult and got out.

smile

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
UPDATE:

Mediation was last week, and boy was it a DOOZY! H was in rare form: yelling, getting in my face, screaming "I'll do whatever I want!!" - all in front of the mediator (who separated us). H admitted that it's all about "Revenge" for him, and he wants to be paid back for all the "pain" he went through in our marriage.

WTF???

I was all, "Really? Who beat whose kids? Who had to call the cops on who? Who went to the ER because of abuse-triggered heart attack symptoms?"

Then he really went ape-sh*t. My mediator said (after he stormed out) that "mentioning his abuse doesn't seem to be motivating him to come to a negotiated settlement." Well, no one - not even Steve Harley - was able to motivate him to EVER come to a negotiated settlement, so I wasn't really surprised. It was almost fun to watch him yell, "I AM NOT ABUSIVE - YOU ARE!!!!!!"

Anyhoo, a waste of $190 but worth trying I guess. I am kicking myself that I didn't record it!!! What a great YouTube video. D*mn.

Oh well - now it's all about litigation. I wonder if I could make some extra $$ by selling tickets to the circus (er, court appearance)? dance2

Elizabeth Bowen

N
N
Things I have heard of as EPs for violence in a marriage would be to ask your partner before you touch them, to let your partner be the one to discipline the children, to stay in an anger management program where they check in with the partner regularly, to wait a year before moving back in. I would think it's appropriate to add in a post-nup in case of recidivism. And on the victim's side, I think the person owes the kids a promise to report and get the offender out immediately if it recurs.

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
K
K
If he has no qualms about screaming in front of the mediator he may well do it in front of the judge, too. And that's only going to help you.

You just have to keep from laughing. rotflmao

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Things I have heard of as EPs for violence in a marriage would be to ask your partner before you touch them, to let your partner be the one to discipline the children, to stay in an anger management program where they check in with the partner regularly, to wait a year before moving back in. I would think it's appropriate to add in a post-nup in case of recidivism. And on the victim's side, I think the person owes the kids a promise to report and get the offender out immediately if it recurs.

Wow, we tried some of those exact things, but he kept breaking his promises . Super sad, and I wonder if that's a little how betrayeds feel when their WS keeps violating the EPs: I guess they are communicating how little they care about their spouse. It's like a nightmare where you keep thinking you're going to wake up any second, but you never do.

Thanks for those, NED. Maybe they should be added to the What To Do With An Angry Husband thread?

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by karmasrose
If he has no qualms about screaming in front of the mediator he may well do it in front of the judge, too. And that's only going to help you.

You just have to keep from laughing. rotflmao

Maybe I'll wear a shirt that says something like, "He's not abusive. He's just sincere about how much he hates me." smirk

Elizabeth Bowen

N
N
Z, I'm so proud of you. I can't tell you how many women in the same situation let the crippling fear overcome them and never get their families to safety.

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
L
L
Thanks for the encouragement, LR! I am trying to see all the good things about my life free of him, rather than dwelling on all the pain. But you're right: I think it will take a while. I can feel myself go from being really suspicious of all men to just feeling really sad and a little stupid.

Z,

I am still work in progress. smile My D is not final, maybe soon, I just do not know, lots of litagation at the moment. It feels like my road/life is like a detour at the moment. Lots of turns, pot holes, and the road is not straight....but I am getting there.....

"Get busy living, or get busy dying"...... The Shawshank Redemption.
J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Z, I'm so proud of you. I can't tell you how many women in the same situation let the crippling fear overcome them and never get their families to safety.

You are so encouraging - thanks NED!

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J

Z,

I am still work in progress. smile My D is not final, maybe soon, I just do not know, lots of litagation at the moment. It feels like my road/life is like a detour at the moment. Lots of turns, pot holes, and the road is not straight....but I am getting there.....

I'm sorry you are actually still working on your D...it does feel like pot holes - great description!

I am meeting with my attorney to get some clarification - I know he owes me $ but he keeps doing weird math and I need help getting real numbers. He refused to show me his paperwork at the mediator's, "until I sign an agreement." Oh sure, I'll sign something without knowing the real numbers...right.

LR, are do you have children with your STBxH?

Elizabeth Bowen

L
L
Yes, I have children with stbx. My children are amazing and I get my strength through them.....one step in front of the other kwim?

D
D

x2!!!

"If you will stop feeding your feelings, then they will stop controlling you" -Joyce Meyer
J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by DaisyTheCat2

x2!!!

Thanks Daisy! smile

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Yes, I have children with stbx. My children are amazing and I get my strength through them.....one step in front of the other kwim?

Yep!

Mine tell me (almost daily) how much happier I am now, and how glad they are we separated. They are also anxious to celebrate: we were joking about how people have parties for every big life event like birth, graduation, weddings, even funerals. I said we should have a "divorce party" and they got really excited! My 14 year old has already invited all of his friends and asks weekly - "When will the D be final so we can have the party?" It's pretty funny.

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I've gotten more clarity around the legal issues of splitting our finances, and I still need to do a little more calculation then see if he'll agree. Haven't heard boo from either lawyers or him, but we need to figure something out someday.

I'm working on enjoying being alone: it's not easy and I do get lonely sometimes. I stayed in all weekend except for working out then therapy. I ate cereal on the couch, then tried to be brave and took a book to a restaurant at my therapist's suggestion.

There's this weird dynamic: I have a deep distrust for men right now, almost an aversion. But at the same time I would like to someday meet a nice one who wouldn't lie and hurt me. But then my fears overcome me and I just sort of feel frozen. I can't honestly say that I've met one man that I would trust - ever, my whole life. One of my girlfriends says I'm too sensitive, and need to get over things that bug me. Honestly I'd rather be alone than get hurt over and over. It's like my heart has a dagger of ice inside.

Have any of you ever felt this way? What will make it go away: therapy? time? Maybe it never will.

Elizabeth Bowen

L
L
There's this weird dynamic: I have a deep distrust for men right now, almost an aversion. But at the same time I would like to someday meet a nice one who wouldn't lie and hurt me. But then my fears overcome me and I just sort of feel frozen. I can't honestly say that I've met one man that I would trust - ever, my whole life. One of my girlfriends says I'm too sensitive, and need to get over things that bug me. Honestly I'd rather be alone than get hurt over and over. It's like my heart has a dagger of ice inside.

Have any of you ever felt this way? What will make it go away: therapy? time? Maybe it never will.

I currently feel this way Z. Somedays all men are evil, the next day maybe some are not. I know I am still married, not healed yet, and definetly not anywhere being close to it. I miss the EN needs being met by the OS, most of my other needs are met, but some, obviously cannot. It is tough at times, but I keep trying to push through. The thing in front of me that I can count on is time. That will make the difference, most importantly, what we do during that time.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 708 guests, and 56 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation