Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Lgtex1 Offline OP
OP Offline
L

Good day posters,

I have a son approaching 20, in college, that has had the same steady girlfriend for the last 3 years.

We have no issue with the young lady and they seem very happy together. My son has not had any other steady girlfriend (which concerns me).

They have talked of marriage, after college, and I want them to be as prepared as possible if this happens.

We have discussed with him our issues/mistakes in our marriage, he knows about my FWHs As and the EPs we have in place ect...

What is the best book for them/him to read to prepare him for marriage? He is VERY busy with school and sports so I want to get the right one.

Also, do the Harleys do "pre-marital" counseling? I was thinking that would be a great wedding present, or even a "pre- engagement" present.

I just have this fear of my kids repeating our mistakes. I guess I have a "hyper" vigilence to prevent the problems and hurt that my H and I have experienced.

BS(me)
FWH
M '91
DS x 3

Don’t let anyone capture you with empty philosophies and high-sounding nonsense that come from human thinking and from the spiritual powers of this world, rather than from Christ.

Col. 2:8 (NLT)
B
B
"I Promise You" and "Fall in Love Stay in Love" are both excellent.

I would also get him "Buyers, Renters and Freeloaders"

These are excellent also Preparing for Marriage

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

O
O
Dr. Harley and Joyce have fielded many calls on the show from couples preparing for marriage (including one from myself and now wife); I would encourage him to listen to the shows or even get a subscription so he can search for specifics (it would be a nice graduation present...)

I agree as usual with Brainy above. Would add that they should read the books together. My wife and I got in that habit and it has become one of our favorite things to do together.

opt

Me: 43 y.o. BFWH, D-day 11/11/09 (NC since 9/01)
Divorce from WW final 9/16/10.
Current Status: MB-based Marriage to Nature Girl 12/8/12 (first date on 12/11/10)
Mine: S(16), D(11)
NatureGirls: S(23), D(21)
Another EA Story
L
Lgtex1 Offline OP
OP Offline
L

Thanks BH! "Buyers, Renters and Freeloaders" was the first to come to my mind. I will get them all.

My H and I have not read any of those, so we will read them first. I will be a good refresher for us as well.

BS(me)
FWH
M '91
DS x 3

Don’t let anyone capture you with empty philosophies and high-sounding nonsense that come from human thinking and from the spiritual powers of this world, rather than from Christ.

L
Lgtex1 Offline OP
OP Offline
L

I agree on reading together. My H and I do that as well, and we really enjoy it.

H has mentioned a couple times about getting a subscription for the archived shows. It seems every other day we hear of, or know of someeone involved in infidelity. It's nice to point them in the right direction (which is always MB).

....off the subject sort of, just last night my H had a friend whose SIL just found out her H has a 2 year old by a OW! We strongly suggested the forum. I pray she will join. I have found most people are hesitant to join a forum and seek advice about infidelity. They will diagnose their diseases online, but when it comes to a marriage.....I just don't understand!

ok, I'm done ranting...

Thanks ya'll!

BS(me)
FWH
M '91
DS x 3

B
B
Is the OW trying to get CS from the SIL's WH?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

L
Lgtex1 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Is the OW trying to get CS from the SIL's WH?

Come to find out, the BW does not even know of her circumstances yet. My H was under the impression that his friend had told his SIL several days ago and referred her to this site. But, he admitted that he has not told her yet, nor has the WH.

H again strongly urged the friend to tell the SIL. We will see.

I'm going to subscribe to the radio archives and I was wondering if those sound files/bytes can be emailed or txt to someone? If my H can't talk sense into someone maybe he could send an audio file to them so they can hear for themselves.

just a thought... (I hope it's not illegal..)

BS(me)
FWH
M '91
DS x 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
2 members (2 invisible), 476 guests, and 72 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation