Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18
R
R
Even though you got the FU response......you did right and well. Good job.

P
P
Originally Posted by Wow777
Well, POSOM's wife already knows. I got the FU response and a loud hangup...

That's okay. YOU did the right thing and that will make you feel good - down the road - when you look back at how you handled your side of the street. Although I'm sure you don't feel that right now.

Be strong Wow. Have you bought the book Surviving an Affair?

ME: BW
HIM: FWH
Married 18 yrs
DDay 09/2008 and 12/2008

Recovered

B
B
Good job on OMW exposure. hurray You need to expose to friends and family who can support your marriage and keep WW accountable as well. OM's friends and family should also be exposed to, to keep him accountable.

It's great that your WW has agreed to send the NC letter.

Me BW: 30
WH: 33
M
M
My wife stayed in her long term affair well after the relationship ended and addiction may be an appropriate excuse however unfathomable it may be.

You seem very levelheaded and calm. Excellent qualities for recovery.

Life keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping into the fuuuu-ture.
W
Wow777 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
LOL, level headed and calm... Not what WW would say. The last few years of unhappiness have caused me to have some anger issues. At least that will be worked on when we get to the recovery stage and start making those deposits :-)

Me - BH 49 years old
Her - WW 43 years old
Married 20 years
D Day Jan 7, 2013
3 kids - DS19, DS17, DS12
E
E
LOL, level headed and calm... Not what WW would say. The last few years of unhappiness have caused me to have some anger issues. At least that will be worked on when we get to the recovery stage and start making those deposits :-)

I suggest you work on those anger issues now. For yourself and a better chance st recovering your marriage.

W
Wow777 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
I've seen the outbursts more and more since D-Day and I'm starting to see how destructive they have been.

Years ago, I was part of a karate school for 15 years. I had complete control over my anger and rarely ever got mad at anyone (except stupid drivers. They've always made me mad). I need to get back to that place where I'm at peace with the world, and myself. This will take lots of prayer time.

Me - BH 49 years old
Her - WW 43 years old
Married 20 years
D Day Jan 7, 2013
N
N
I've seen the outbursts more and more since D-Day...

Very typical, almost to the point of being predictable.
Use a gym, punch a bag, exhaust yourself. It will help.

W
Wow777 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
I just started P90X again. 2 weeks in so far. The good news is, we're doing it together so we're already working on building the 15-20 hours a week of undivided attention.

Shortly after D-Day, I took her to the very spot that I proposed to her on Feb 10th, 1991. I recommitted my love to her and promised to pursue a path to reconciliation if thats what she wanted. She agreed so thats why I'm here and moving forward.

Our next date will be to the resturant where we had our first date on her 21st birthday... Maybe next week if the NC letter goes out by then

Last edited by Wow777; 02/14/13 12:44 PM.

Me - BH 49 years old
Her - WW 43 years old
Married 20 years
D Day Jan 7, 2013
M
M
I just started P90X again. 2 weeks in so far. The good news is, we're doing it together so we're already working on building the 15-20 hours a week of undivided attention.

Shortly after D-Day, I took her to the very spot that I proposed to her on Feb 10th, 1991. I recommitted my love to her and promised to pursue a path to reconciliation if thats what she wanted. She agreed so thats why I'm here and moving forward.

Our next date will be to the resturant where we had our first date on her 21st birthday... Maybe next week if the NC letter goes out by then

= levelheaded.

Life keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping into the fuuuu-ture.
M
M

WW and I talked a lot last night about the Fog and withdrawal stages. The importance of an NC letter and how sharp it has to be. She is definitly concerned about his feelings so I explained why it needs to be emotionless (concerning them) and focus on the pain and suffering that I have been caused and trying to fix that.

She's reluctant but there was a hopeful sign in our conversation. She assured me that it had been over for her and that she never tried to contact him since 1/7. When he contacted her over the weekend she said that she felt nothing and didn't want to talk to him. When I reminder her that she deleted the conversations and never told me and that she went right back into the lie she seemed to realize that she was addicted to him and really didn't want to let him go. I think that was a break through because she started seeing things from my perspective. Anyway, we ended the conversation on a good note and wished each other a Happy Valentines Day this morning. She'll work on the NC letter tonight and we'll finish it and mail it tomorrow or Sat morning.

Isn't hope great? I know we have a looonnngggg way to go and a lot of bumps getting there but I'm cherishing EVERY good moment.

I am not hopeful. I am sorry to throw rain on your parade, but there are so many red flags here that I hardly know where to begin.

The first huge gaping HOLE is that she is still in contact with him. She was contact with him LAST WEEKEND, so the affair is really not over. As long as he has a free pass to get through to her the affair is NOT OVER. Every time he contacts her is the equivalent of an alcoholic taking another drink. One drink leads to a binge.

As long as he is free to get through, your marriage is in danger. And every time she sees him at work, you can consider the affair BACK ON. Recovery is impossible until ALL contact ends.

That means that she makes it next to impossible for him to get through by changing her phone #, email, deleting her facebook page and most certainly making sure she has a job where she will NEVER run across him.

This is STEP ONE. Unless you close the door entirely, there is no hope.

I will post the no contact letter that Dr Harley recommends in my next post. It should be approved by you and mailed together.

Next red flag. WHAT does she know exactly? Does she know her rat husband got your wife pregnant? It is very ODD that a betrayed spouse hangs up on another betrayed spouse. That does not make sense. UNLESS.... her WH got to her and spun a wild story about "crazy WOW777 has lost his mind and is telling people I am having an affair with his wife!! The guy is a nutbag!!" So when you call to tell the BW, she is angry you are spreading lies. Did this happen? Did your wife give the OM a heads up that you knew?

She assured me that it had been over for her and that she never tried to contact him since 1/7.

A fart in the wind has more significance. The "assurances" of a falling down drunk mean nothing. Nothing. You can NEVER go by her words, you must go by her ACTIONS.

And what do her actions tell you? She was in contact with the OM LAST WEEKEND. She does not want to send him a no contact letter because she doesn't want to hurt his feelings. <----THAT is all you have. That is the REALITY of the situation.

If you want to get thrown off balance and lose this war, then take your eye off her ACTIONS and focus on her WORDS. If you want to save your marriage, then plug your ears and watch her ACTIONS.

ACTION: in contact with OM last weekend
doesn't want to send OM no contact letter

WORDS: the affair is "over for her"

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley
My advice is to write a final letter in a way that the victimized spouse would agree to send it. It should begin with a statement of how selfish it was to cause those they loved so much pain, and while marital reconciliation cannot completely repay the offense, it's the right thing to do. A statement should be made about how much the unfaithful spouse cares about his spouse and family, and for their protection, has decided to completely end the relationship with the lover. He or she has promised never to see or communicate with the lover again in life, and asks the lover to respect that promise. Nothing should be said about how much the lover will be missed. After the letter is written, the victimized spouse should read and approve it before it is sent.
here

[from SAA, pg 58]

OW, I want you to know that out of respect and love for my wife and children, I have come to realize that I must never see or talk to you again. My relationship with you was a cruel indulgence that BS did not deserve. While I cannot completely repay BS for the pain I caused her, I will do my best to become the husband she has been missing. I care a great deal for my family and I would not want to do anything to risk their happiness. I will not make any further contact with you and I do not want you to make any contact with me. Please respect my desire to end our relationship.

Sincerely, XXXXX

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

P
P
Originally Posted by pokerface
Have you bought the book Surviving an Affair?

Married 18 yrs
DDay 09/2008 and 12/2008

Recovered

P
P
I told the Chief what had happened and asked him to step in and order him to stop. That was last night. The Chief has a strict set of rules on behavior and how it affects the dept so he was glad to help. I haven't heard back from him yet as to how that conversation went.

When you said that BW already knew, I was thinking that she found out from actions from the Chief. I honestly do not believe that OM would have told his BW the truth especially given that he is still in contact with your WW.

Have you followed up with the Chief to find out what is happening?

Married 18 yrs
DDay 09/2008 and 12/2008

Recovered

W
Wow777 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Here's where we are today

1. Yes, I have the book on kindle
2. Melody... There is no parade to rain on. Oh and BTW, it's already raining no matter where I go.
3. The little bit of hope that I have is from seeing in her eyes that she's starting to understand the nature of the addiction. She knows that my job is to hold her accountable and her job is to break off the A and deal with the withdrawal stage.
4. She works in the next town over during the day and during the week. No nights or weekends. He volunteers in our town on nights & weekends and works out of town during the weekdays. There is almost no chance that they will see each other at all. In fact, she left the FD in our town to get away from him.
5. The other possible means of contact (facebook, phone#, email, etc) are being changed/deleted. That takes a little time since she has to notify some people of the new #'s and emails. He no longer has a free pass to contact her.
6. She wrote a NC letter today that I was very happy with. We're going to make a few changes tonight and then I'll post it for you to review. The first draft was pretty good though.
7. I've taken some other steps to hold her accountable also. I dont want to mention them here in case she comes on here as I want them to be private for now.

Today is Valentines Day and I got her flowers and a card. I know it's her actions that I have to watch. Thats the manner in which I live. I always look at what people say vs what they do. Ronald Reagan said, "Trust, but verify" and thats the mode that I have to operate in. I know you'll say dont trust at all, but realistically, ther verification part of that statement shows a certain amount of distrust. She had a fall over the weekend and didn't tell me about the contact. I'm more prepared now to find these contacts if they do happen and I can deal with them. We're already talking about getting the house ready to sell and moving south too.

Last edited by Wow777; 02/14/13 05:51 PM.

Me - BH 49 years old
Her - WW 43 years old
Married 20 years
D Day Jan 7, 2013
W
Wow777 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Oh, and I dont know what she knows exactly as she hung up on me. Should I care about that? What can I do to get thru to her?

Me - BH 49 years old
Her - WW 43 years old
Married 20 years
D Day Jan 7, 2013
G
G
Wow777,

You need to press home your exposure of OM, he has no business being in any leadership role at a fire department. Did you expose him there and at his workplace? I would threaten a lawsuit against the department and the local municipality.

God Bless
Gamma

W
Wow777 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Yes, I've spoken to the Chief. I'll make another attempt with OMW and see if I can get thru.

I'm not sure what the grounds would be for a lawsuit though.

Me - BH 49 years old
Her - WW 43 years old
Married 20 years
D Day Jan 7, 2013
M
M
5. The other possible means of contact (facebook, phone#, email, etc) are being changed/deleted. That takes a little time since she has to notify some people of the new #'s and emails. He no longer has a free pass to contact her.

Wow, what do you mean he no longer has a free pass to contact her? As long as he has her phone #, email and facebook account, he can contact her. He is free to resume the affair any time as long as he can get through. And every time he gets through is a huge trigger for your wife's addiction.

Exposure 101

P
P
Oh, and I dont know what she knows exactly as she hung up on me. Should I care about that? What can I do to get thru to her?

Do you have any evidence other than your WW confession? Like cell phone logs, emails, etc.

Married 18 yrs
DDay 09/2008 and 12/2008

Recovered

Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 761 guests, and 62 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation