Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
M
Megz Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I sent this question to the radio show today but also wanted to put it here:

My husband has been having an affair. They met 18 months ago, he said it turned romantic about 6 months ago. I found out about it 2 months ago (1 week before giving birth to our 4th child). Since then, it has appeared to get worse. I have exposed this to a marriage counselor, our bishop, his parents, his business partner and wife, and the affair partner�s mother and two of her church leaders. Several times he has said he doesn�t want a divorce, and knows that he needs to break contact with her, but keeps seeing her, and often more blatantly (he took our kids to dinner with her and her kids, and brought her to do some work with him near our home on Saturday, where I found them. She hid so I couldn�t see her, but I know she was there.). His brothers (who only know he is in some sort of trouble) and another church leader staged a sort of intervention last night. He says he is sorry and wants to make things right. But he still has his secret cell phone and a lot of free time (drives around town for work, too easy to slip a few miles down the road to see her).

My question is how much should I try to force restrictions on him? I want to take his secret cell phone and have him be sure to have someone with him at ALL times so he isn�t tempted to go see her OR put a gps locator on his phone. But I also feel this is treating him like a child. I think he should make the choice and stick with it, but I also understand he is in a fog and can�t necessarily make great choices right now. So do I temporarily force this until he is out of his fog and can think clearly? His business partner will help me out with the restrictions.
He is so used to having a lot of freedom that he is really going to chafe at being controlled like this. I worry about it affecting our recovery, since he isn't super remorseful at this point.
Thanks in advance for your input.

Me: BW 33

Kids 11, 8, 6, 18 months
DDay 1/22/13
Plan B 6/21/13 long overdue
broke Plan B august 2013, my mistake
Divorce 6/30/14

P
P
I've never been able to "control" my husband.
I did use my influence to motivate him to change his ways.

Welcome to the MB forums.

P
P
*** LINK *** <~~~ readings to get you started.

P
P
he isn't super remorseful

Why not?

M
Megz Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I have read most of the articles on here.

I don't think he's super remorseful because if he was, he wouldn't still be seeing her, right? He is still trying to minimize it, saying it wasn't as serious as I think it is.

He also still lies about things, even things that don't have much to do with the affair. Yesterday I know he was meeting with his business partner at the office, but he told me they were meeting at another place - why would he do that?

Kids 11, 8, 6, 18 months
DDay 1/22/13
Divorce 6/30/14

B
B
Welcome to MB.

Who is the OW?

Is she married?

Why haven't you exposed to your WH's brother?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

M
Megz Offline OP
OP Offline
M
OW is divorced with 2 kids. They met when her then-husband asked my husband to come do some work on the house they were selling because of the divorce.

I haven't exposed to his brothers because....well....I guess I am still trying to protect him. If we stay together, I don't want people forever after thinking about him in terms of "hey, that guy cheated on his wife". If we do divorce, there's no way to keep it from coming out, which I am fine with at that point. We are very religious people (I'm in Idaho, you would know about that too in Utah).

He has sworn up and down that they did nothing sexual. But I know they kissed, and I heavily suspect there was some very serious making out.

Kids 11, 8, 6, 18 months
DDay 1/22/13
Divorce 6/30/14

B
B
Originally Posted by Megz
OW is divorced with 2 kids. They met when her then-husband asked my husband to come do some work on the house they were selling because of the divorce.

I haven't exposed to his brothers because....well....I guess I am still trying to protect him. If we stay together, I don't want people forever after thinking about him in terms of "hey, that guy cheated on his wife". If we do divorce, there's no way to keep it from coming out, which I am fine with at that point. We are very religious people (I'm in Idaho, you would know about that too in Utah).

He has sworn up and down that they did nothing sexual. But I know they kissed, and I heavily suspect there was some very serious making out.
So who on OW's side have you exposed to?

Shielding him from the consequences of his affair will not help him or your marriage. He needs his feet held to the fire.

Did you read the exposure thread and what Dr. Harley says about exposing?

I was born and raised in Idaho and so I'm waving to you from Utah? smile

Also have you told anyone in your church circle? Bishop perhaps?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

M
Megz Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I exposed to OW's mother and bishop, my stake president is calling her stake president.
I did read the exposure post.
I and husband have talked to both our bishop and stake president. I think the consequences are starting to weigh on him. He said yesterday he wishes so many people didn't have to know.

Definitely part of the problem I see right now is that he is more comfortable spending time with her because there is no pressure there (her mom lives in Oregon, not sure what she has said), but there is a ton of pressure here in his real life at home.

So should I take his phone?

Last edited by Megz; 03/26/13 04:22 PM.

Kids 11, 8, 6, 18 months
DDay 1/22/13
Divorce 6/30/14

B
B
I exposed to OW's mother and bishop, my stake president is calling her stake president.
I did read the exposure post.
I and husband have talked to both our bishop and stake president. I think the consequences are starting to weigh on him. He said yesterday he wishes so many people didn't have to know.

Definitely part of the problem I see right now is that he is more comfortable spending time with her because there is no pressure there (her mom lives in Oregon, not sure what she has said), but there is a ton of pressure here in his real life at home.

So should I take his phone?
Good job on exposing him.

What about Your kids? Have you told them? What are their ages?

Is this his secret phone? Then yes that phone needs to be destroyed.

Has he written her a NC letter? When was his last contact with her?

What snooping tools do you have in place?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

L
L
Eighteen months and nothing sexual has happen???? Please don't believe that he is in a full blown sexual affair with her.

N
N
You need ammunition for your fight more than you need his cell-phone, which can be replaced in a day.

What are the laws in your jurisdiction regarding adultery. Is it applicable in a divorce proceeding? Are you in an area that recognizes the "alienation of affection" claim?

Your WH seem to have compartmentalized his situation quite nicely, almost to the extent that only sociopaths can manage. He appears immune to psycho/emotional pressure. Perhaps legal avenues (including his being forced to pay you money) might get his attention.

You need legal advice.

B
B
About exposure, you expose to the people who will put pressure on him to end his affair.

Will his brother do that?

I just reread that you've known for 2 months. When did you expose?

Have you been in Plan A for 2 months and he's still seeing her?

Have you demanded he end his affair?

Time for Plan B.

Also I know in Idaho you should be able to state reasons for the D is an Affair.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

M
Megz Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Our kids are 9, 6, 5, and 7 weeks. Haven't told them, don't want to unless it comes to divorce.
I am going to ask him to turn over his phone tonight, and have access to the phone records. he just got it March 8, before that he was using his regular phone which I was monitoring.
His last contact was probably two days ago, although it could have been last night, he was gone for 4 hours. He has not written a letter yet, but says we need to. Also asking about that tonight.
Ya, I am very unsure about the sexual nature of it. I am hoping not but also can't see how it hasn't happened yet. He has been very upset that I and his father would even think sex could happen between them.
I will probably talk to an attorney this week, because although I am hoping for the best in reconciliation, I know I would be wise to prepare for the worst. Especially to subpoena the text records before they expire.
I have told him several times he cannot see her at all if he wants to stay married. He says he knows that, but then will lie to me to see her. Is this the addiction fog? Wow its powerful. he is not this person at all.
Exposed to his parents and her mom 2 weeks ago. Our Bishop a month ago. He won't return phone calls or texts from the bishop or his parents.

Kids 11, 8, 6, 18 months
DDay 1/22/13
Divorce 6/30/14

M
Megz Offline OP
OP Offline
M
haha, my snooping tools are that I drive around in the middle of the night to her house and a rental house that he supposedly stays at sometimes.

Kids 11, 8, 6, 18 months
DDay 1/22/13
Divorce 6/30/14

M
M
Hi MEgz, welcome to Marriage Builders. Dr Harley would tell you to expose the affair to everyone. His brothers, your children, everyone in your lives.

The next thing he will tell you is to separate from your husband. What your husband is doing is abusive and will cause you serious emotional and physical deterioration. So I would plan to separate and go into Plan B.

You can pack your husband up and tell him to leave.

By all means, do tell your children. They should not be lied to about the source of tension of their home.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Our kids are 9, 6, 5, and 7 weeks. Haven't told them, don't want to unless it comes to divorce.

They are all old enough to be told. They already know something is wrong and are probably wondering why *YOU* don't speak to them. It is horribly morally confusing for children to be exposed to adultery. As far as they are concerned you and your H CONDONE adultery. [your silence conveys endorsement I assure you!] So your kids are sitting there wondering "gee, that sort of seems wrong to us! I must be real stupid!"

That is what kids think when adults try to screw with their minds and don't validate their instincts about right and wrong. They are being taught to DOUBT those instincts. And I agree it's cute to not be "judgmental" about adultery, but it sure does screw up young minds!!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

G
G
Megz, you seem to have a boatload of reasons for why you won't expose his affair to the very people in his life (his brothers and his children) whose esteem may matter most to him & whose knowledge of the affair may be your strongest weapons in forcing an end to it.

Did you come here to extol the merits of your approach for ending an affair? If so, how's that all working for you?

The reason he's still in the affair is, he thinks he can have his cake & eat it, too. I know it. He hasn't focused on the consequences, because the consequences he's seen have all been "manageable" for him through his damage-control & image-control efforts. (Which you, ma'am, continue to aid & abet.) He won't get himself straight until he comes face-to-face with the ultimate consequences of losing the wife & family he says he loves.

I know 'cuz I've been there. See, I was the one who had the affair. I know what I'm talking about.
So listen up:
You want his affair to stop? Then you do these things:
-- Tell his brothers the full story, without warning him in advance.
-- Tell your children what dad's been up to, without warning him in advance.
-- Be sweet as pie to him, and tell him in your most loving voice that you love him too much to see him throw his life & your family away on her account; and let him know that he needs to turn over his secret phone and his secret account(s) on the spot, and that if he sees her or communicates with her again, he can pick up his things out on the driveway where you'll put them.
-- And if he chooses wrong, then you stick to your words.

You see what my wife told me on the day I confessed my affair? (See the 2nd quote below in red text.) Yep. She (former Sunday-school teacher who never said a curse word) said it, in the very next breath after she told me that she forgave me. That was a woman showing me a heart of love along with character of steel that I had no choice but to respect.

Showing him all love, but without the steel, is the same as being a doormat. And being a doormat won't end his affair; it'll only get you more of the same.

The question in your thread title shows a misunderstanding on your part: No one here is suggesting that you try to "control" him to stop the affair. Rather, what you need to do is offer him a free choice: Do it again -- see her, touch her, talk to her again -- and he'll be out on his bum. It's his choice! All within his control! Think of it that way, Megz, and you might summon up the gumption to attack this affair in the proper way.

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009
P
P
Put a GPS on his vehicle. Link to details

Last edited by Pepperband; 03/26/13 07:56 PM.
M
Megz Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Glove oil,
You are right, I need to get a spine. There will have to be more exposure. He ran off again tonight. I Hate this! He has lost his brain!

Kids 11, 8, 6, 18 months
DDay 1/22/13
Divorce 6/30/14

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 708 guests, and 56 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation