Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 19 of 67 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 66 67
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by markos
I hate to tell you, friend, but this is closeted disrespect on your part. If you feel it, don't say it.

OK thanks for pointing this out. I apologized when I got home.

Originally Posted by markos
Instead:
Talk factually to your wife about love busters she commits and how they make you feel.
Talk factually to your wife about what things she could do that would really meet your emotional needs.
Find out ways to make bucketloads of love bank deposits WITHOUT SACRIFICING.

#2 is our homework for this week anyway. I'll get to work on this.

Me (42)
Her (43) - feuillecouleur

DS(11)
DD(7)

Married: June 24, 2000

Recovered
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by Rocketqueen
And it sounds so dang easy, doesn't? And tempting? But I'll tell you that once you withdraw, then she will withdraw and it is so much harder to get that bus going again.

Just keep doing what you are doing. Concentrate on building that romantic love.

And you have to try to let go of what she said to him and what she did with him. I know it's not easy and I still struggle. But when I start down that road, I tell myself "stop torturing yourself" and I think of something else.

I'm going to try to let it go. I'm imagining Pep standing on top of her mountain and throwing rocks. (From the resentment thread)

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by NeverGuessed
Dr H has high expectations of men on this programme. If they have withdrawn and reluctant wives, he expects men to use their emotional strength and energy for a long time to turn their wives around. He is tough on men and he does not accept that they should give up easily. Men can go for a long time without getting their emotional needs met, and giving all they've got to meet their wives' ENs. They can do this and they should do this if they want to recover their marriages .

TFT, Stop imagining that FC is going to have an epiphany and revert to the loving, affectionate spouse you might have believed she was at one time. Her self-centered and dismissive persona is clearly too well entrenched to be overcome, in the limited time you have, given your already depleted $LB and the rate at which you must expend it, to have you still be there when she wises up.

Your Plan A is intended at this juncture to be the equivalent of a jet aircraft in distress dumping fuel before trying a difficult end to its flight. You must reorient yourself to the "No Expectations" mode that you've failed - spectacularly, btw - to maintain previously, while performing every act possible to satisfy her ENs. All of this would be in an effort to position yourself emotionally when you realize intellectually that, basically, she's not worth any additional effort, that you did everything you could, as long as you could, and can dispose of her without regrets.

I understand the message.

I agree I have failed on the "No Expectations". Of course to me that sounds like "don't be optimistic" which seems counter productive.

And OK I'll bite. Why do you keep calling me TFT?

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
E
E
Originally Posted by NeverGuessed
Your Plan A is intended at this juncture to be the equivalent of a jet aircraft in distress dumping fuel before trying a difficult end to its flight. You must reorient yourself to the "No Expectations" mode that you've failed - spectacularly, btw - to maintain previously, while performing every act possible to satisfy her ENs. All of this would be in an effort to position yourself emotionally when you realize intellectually that, basically, she's not worth any additional effort, that you did everything you could, as long as you could, and can dispose of her without regrets.

Exactly! Well said, NG.

Last edited by Rocketqueen; 03/28/13 05:32 PM.
F
OP Offline
F
OK, so what does a plan A look like for a guy who's wife is not currently wayward?

What's the carrot?

What's the stick?

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
G
G
FTF,

That wasn't really my point. I already KNOW what happened because it is in her own words in the emails she wrote

I think my point about the polygraph is more that WW never told you, she sounds like she shrugs and wants to move on, she just admits only to what you know.

Has she ever given you a self-emptying, bare all confession?

And while your WW is not wayward she is not honest and open either.

God Bless
Gamma

Last edited by Gamma; 03/28/13 07:39 PM.
E
E
Originally Posted by FightTheFight
OK, so what does a plan A look like for a guy who's wife is not currently wayward?

What's the carrot?

What's the stick?

It's pretty much the same. Concentrate on being the best dang husband you can be. Meet her needs, rid yourself of your lovebusters and follow the policies.

The stick is telling her how you feel if she doesn't do the same. Using "I would love it if..." statements and "I feel X, when you Y". If she continues not making changes, she will be left with an unhappy husband who did all he could.

Dr. Harley recommends separation rather than continuing in an unhappy marriage (did you listen to today's show? He talks about it on there.) But continue Plan A as long as you can. A general timeline I have seen here is 2 years past d-day. That may be different for BH, I don't know.

~RQ

S
S

What's the carrot?

What's the stick?
How is this relevant?

You are not in Plan A. You are in Recovery.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
B
B
Originally Posted by SugarCane

What's the carrot?

What's the stick?
How is this relevant?

I was going to say the same.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

E
E
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Originally Posted by SugarCane

What's the carrot?

What's the stick?
How is this relevant?

I was going to say the same.

Well, there are similarities between plan a and recovery with a reluctant spouse.

N
N
Why do you keep calling me TFT?

Typing dyslexia! Sorry, FTF!

N
N

There being no firmly defined threshold between those two stages, only empirical data and general indicators, we can debate this for days to no end. I would point out, however, that the reference you make to Dr. Harley's advice would more accurately apply to a BH attempting to entice a still-foggy WW back to the marriage than a co-equal pair jointly attempting to repair and reconnect their union.

And as for this specific couple, after carefully reading FC's glib and smug postings, in what element do you detect her being "in the marriage"? You know, "for better or worse, yada, yada, yada....." Yes, she might not be actively (or provably) drooling over some OM, but declaring victory in her emotional attachment, even to the idea, if not the actuality, of infidelity, seems waaaaaaay premature, IMVHO.

S
S
In Recovery, the focus is on UA time and rebuilding the romantic relationship. Dr H does not urge a BW to keep going for many months if her H is in this withdrawn state, but he does urge a BH to do so, if he wants to work on the marriage. When I post to you, I try only to convey the kind of advice that I have seen Dr H convey to other people in similar situations. I try to avoid injecting my own take on your situation.

You did not respond directly to my post and it might be that my advice isn't acceptable to you, so I will finish here with a couple of posts that Dr H made, in the private forum, to a BH struggling with a very withdrawn wife. The two responses were made six months apart.

The wife was open about still being in love with OM and still waiting for him to leave his wife and come for her. Dr Harley's advice centred on removing all triggers from the wife's environment, not talking about the affair and creating a romantic marriage by focusing on enjoyable UA time.

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley November 2011
Your wife has learned quite a bit what she experiences when she is in love. The feeling of romantic love makes everything that we should do in marriage seem almost effortless. Intimate conversation, affection, recreational companionship -- and especially sexual fulfillment -- they all seem so natural. And it makes people think that they love each other unconditionally. But they don't. That's why affairs die a natural death 95% of the time. They think they are perfect for each other, but as soon as conflicts enter their lives, their illusions are revealed for what they really are. The illusions are what I call "the fog," and your wife is still struggling with some of those illusions.

As time passes, she will eventually get through the withdrawal that she now experiences, and will see the affair for what it really was. But if she's honest, she will admit that those illusions made her feel terrific, and she misses having that feeling.

She can have that feeling again, however. This time for you. All you must do is make enough Love Bank deposits and avoid withdrawals, and she'll be in love with you again.

Some people experience the return of romantic love within a three months of ending an affair, but I'd give it two years. In the meantime, you are doing all the right things, so keep up the good work. As for your wife's curiosity about whether or not the other man meant what he said to her, I would assume that he did at the moment it was said. But when the bright light of reality illuminated his mind, he could see that it was all foolishness.

Best wishes,
Willard F. Harley, Jr.

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley May 2012
My first piece of advice is to stop talking with your wife about her affair. She is going through an emotional experience that is common among those who are recovering from an affair, and talking about it only makes things worse.

Second, I would encourage your wife to pay close attention to anything in her environment that triggers her thoughts about the other man, and pass that information on to Kim. I want her to completely eliminate those triggers, even if it means moving to another city.

Third, spend 15 hours a week, giving each other undivided attention, being affectionate, talking intimately to each other (without bringing up her affair), engaging in recreational activities that you both enjoy, and making love. Individually, pass on to Kim what must change to make your experience more enjoyable for each other, and Kim will try to help you make those 15 hours the best time of your week.

You can make your wife fall in love with you, and she can make you fall in love with her if you make Love Bank deposits and avoid making withdrawals. The depression that your wife is experience will lift as soon as she sees your time together being enjoyable for both of you.

Best wishes,
Willard F. Harley, Jr.
Best of luck, FTF.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
F
OP Offline
F
SC, If I thought your advice wasn't acceptable to me, I would respond and tell you so. smile I just didn't think it needed a reply since it was mostly a statement of fact. I thought what you suggested was right. Hard to do for long periods, but probably right.

Mostly this thread keeps me driving the bus instead of just getting off and taking a cab.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
S
S
Did you read carefully the two responses from Dr H that I posted above? Do you understand what is required of you?

I'd have confidence that you were working on these things if you did not come here so often to post about the lack of improvement.

The solution to the lack of progress is to focus on getting UA time. Make it your goal and something that you work towards daily, to achieve the weekly total. Don't forget that time spent at home is not a contribution unless it involves SF.

Your wife doesn't want to work on creating UA time so you must create it and make it enjoyable. Talk to her about the schedule. Arrange babysitters. Plan an enjoyable experience, including SF at the end of it.

You can give up anytime you've had enough, just do this properly until and unless you DO give up.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M
Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley
Our program for recovery only works when it's followed. The 15 hours of undivided attention we recommend is an essential part of the program because it provides the opportunity to meet emotional needs that cannot be met any other way. There are lots of excuses for failing to follow that aspect of our program, but in the end, failure to follow it results in a failed recovery.

If we saw that both of you were recovering well, I'd say that you are one of the very rare exceptions to the need to spend 15 hours a week together. But, since you are not recovering well, we can only conclude that your failure to spend enough time together, and make good use of that time meeting each other's emotional needs, is the culprit. here

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley
Dr Harley: My program of marriage recovery is exactly the same as most weight loss programs. Whenever it's followed, the marriage recovers. I know of no other program of marital recovery that can make that claim. In fact, if you follow the advice of most marriage recovery programs today, your marriage will not recover. That's why a 1995 Consumer's Report survey found marriage counseling to be the least effective form of psychotherapy. Only 16% found the experience to be helpful.

For those who complete my program of marital recovery, 100% find the experience to be more than helpful -- it solves their marital problems. But just like in dieting, the successful outcome depends entirely on motivation. Only those who are not motivated enough to complete the program fail.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M

What's the carrot?

What's the stick?

Carrot:
Concrete acts of care.
Enjoyable conversations.
Recreational activities together.
Family activities together if you have children.
Symbolic acts of care (affection).
Find out ways to make bucketloads of love bank deposits WITHOUT SACRIFICING.

Stick:
Talk factually to your wife about love busters she commits and how they make you feel.
Talk factually to your wife about what things she could do that would really meet your emotional needs.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
P
P
Well said, Mark hurray os.

M
M
FTF, dig through my posting history. See what I have posted to other men. There may be some good things you can use, and good radio shows to listen to.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Originally Posted by Pepperband
Well said, Mark hurray os.

Thanks, Pepperband. I wonder if you could help me track down a post of yours. Sometime in the last 12-14 months (I think) you posted a list of suggestions for FWH's to care for their wives in concrete (not symbolic) ways. i.e., not bringing her flowers and cards and such because she won't accept such symbols of care because there is no actual care!

I thought the list was fantastic, for all husbands, and is an answer to "Why does my wife list Affection as a top EN, but doesn't seem to enjoy the Affection I'm trying to provide?"

But I cannot find the post again.

Every husband needs to read it, and if you tracked it down for me, I'd be very grateful! I want to add it to my list of bookmarks.

Page 19 of 67 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 66 67

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 827 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation