Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 20 of 67 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 66 67
M
M
Originally Posted by SugarCane
Originally Posted by FightTheFight
Maybe I should just take the issue off the table. It seems to be at the core of what is most painful for me though.

I expressed to my W this afternoon at lunch that I felt like I was driving the recovery bus. She says "I know that's very frustrating for you. Why don't you quit doing it?" I said "Because the bus doesn't move forward unless someone is driving it."

That "why don't you quit doing it" thing is sticking in my mind though.
If you haven't gathered this already, Dr H has high expectations of men on this programme. If they have withdrawn and reluctant wives, he expects men to use their emotional strength and energy for a long time to turn their wives around. He is tough on men and he does not accept that they should give up easily. Men can go for a long time without getting their emotional needs met, and giving all they've got to meet their wives' ENs. They can do this and they should do this if they want to recover their marriages.

I'll bet you could train in a gym and build up big muscles and strength. I'll bet you could bear physical pain in a fight. I'll bet you can life heavy furniture and break rocks. You've got strength, and the strength you already display can be developed even further. Stop giving up in this endurance exercise until you reach the point where you collapse from exhaustion. You are far from that point now; you are just discouraged.

If you want to leave now you can, but if you are going to stay don't withdraw from the training. In this programme, as a man you have to work hard for a long time. Get on with it.

This is an awesome post.

(Other than the spelling errors...)

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
H
H
Originally Posted by markos
Originally Posted by Pepperband
Well said, Mark hurray os.

Thanks, Pepperband. I wonder if you could help me track down a post of yours. Sometime in the last 12-14 months (I think) you posted a list of suggestions for FWH's to care for their wives in concrete (not symbolic) ways. i.e., not bringing her flowers and cards and such because she won't accept such symbols of care because there is no actual care!

I thought the list was fantastic, for all husbands, and is an answer to "Why does my wife list Affection as a top EN, but doesn't seem to enjoy the Affection I'm trying to provide?"

But I cannot find the post again.

Every husband needs to read it, and if you tracked it down for me, I'd be very grateful! I want to add it to my list of bookmarks.

Post, or article?

This is the one I like to quote/link for such situations;

Dear K.R.,

Affection is something that's learned. Some men (and women) who were raised in families that did not show affection are taught how to show affection by their girlfriends or wives. But other men have never been taught.

You apparently received the affection you needed from your lover. It was your friend's affection that met your need. Your husband can learn to say and do many of the same things, and mean it.

Whenever I counsel a man who is not very affectionate, I give him a list of things to do every day. (I usually make up the list with his wife who tells me what to include.) He must do each of them and check them off the list as he does it. Here is a general example.

1. Hug and kiss your wife and tell her you love her every morning while you're still in bed. Rub her back for a few minutes before you get up.

2. Tell her that you love her while you are having breakfast together.

3. Kiss her and tell her you love her before you leave for work.

4. Call her during the day to ask how she is doing and that you love her.

5. After work, call her before you leave to tell her when you will be home, and tell her you love her.

6. Buy her flowers on the way home at least once a week, with a card that tells her you love her.

7. When you arrive home from work, give her a big hug and kiss and spend a few minutes talking to her about how her day went. Don't do anything else before you have given her your undivided attention.

8. Tell her that you love her as you are having dinner together.

9. Help her clear off the table and wash and dry the dishes with her, giving her a hug and kiss at least once, and tell her that you love her.

10. Hug and kiss her and tell her you love her in bed before you both go to sleep.

As the weeks go by, I have the wives review the list to be certain there isn't anything in it that they object to, or that should be added.

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi5010_qa.html

For myself; the first thing I do when I get home every day is to kiss my wife and tell her I love her...

... even though most days she is asleep when I get home from work.

It's habit, and it actually bothers me when I don't do it... because... it's... a... habit.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
P
P
I thought the list was fantastic, for all husbands, and is an answer to "Why does my wife list Affection as a top EN, but doesn't seem to enjoy the Affection I'm trying to provide?"

Is this it?

LINK- Be the husband she needs.

M
M
Originally Posted by Pepperband

Is this it?

LINK- Be the husband she needs.

I don't think it is - but it's a really good post!

The one I was thinking of included a list of practical ways for a husband to care for his wife. Such as picking up groceries on his way home from work. It may not have been a thread you started.

If you can't find it, that's okay. I will eventually obsess over it at some point and find it by digging through your entire history. smile

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
P
P
I looked at the threads of FlGuy, DNT ,and bnmt .... no luck. I sort of remember that post. I've been trying to prop up a lot of men's Plan A of late.
Maybe it will come to me later.
Pass the ginko please.

N
N
The solution to the lack of progress is to focus on getting UA time. Make it your goal and something that you work towards daily, to achieve the weekly total. Don't forget that time spent at home is not a contribution unless it involves SF.

How is the UA time going, FTF? It was a bit paltry a few weeks ago. Has it improved?

Me (BH)
FWW
Married 2000, DS 8, DD 6, DD 2

F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by Northwood8900
The solution to the lack of progress is to focus on getting UA time. Make it your goal and something that you work towards daily, to achieve the weekly total. Don't forget that time spent at home is not a contribution unless it involves SF.

How is the UA time going, FTF? It was a bit paltry a few weeks ago. Has it improved?

I hate to admit to the truth which is it hasn't improved much. In fact this week, it went down because we had a house guest on Monday and Tuesday and we did not get any UA time at all on those days.

The times at the YMCA that we planned to spend during the day didn't work out because they don't offer childcare during the hours we had planned to go (my lunch break). We found this out Monday.

I know the 2X4's are going to come out about how important this is. I get it. I've been discouraged as of late and haven't worked on it like I should.

I think I have realized this week that a big part of the problem on my end has been comparing "what she did with / for him" with "what is she doing with / for me". There is a contrast effect there in a way it is not normally discussed. I am letting this go. I still feel it, but I MUST not think about. I'm only torturing my elf. laugh

I also got a lot of help reading the "resentment as punishment" thread. I am going to suck it up and walk away from the mountain. New start.

Tonight, we are going out for our Saturday date night. Next week, we are going to get those hours in if it's the last thing I do.

Last edited by FightTheFight; 03/30/13 10:41 AM.

Me (42)
Her (43) - feuillecouleur

DS(11)
DD(7)

Married: June 24, 2000

Recovered
W
W

I hate to admit to the truth which is it hasn't improved much. In fact this week, it went down because we had a house guest on Monday and Tuesday and we did not get any UA time at all on those days.

The times at the YMCA that we planned to spend during the day didn't work out because they don't offer childcare during the hours we had planned to go (my lunch break). We found this out Monday.

I know the 2X4's are going to come out about how important this is. I get it. I've been discouraged as of late and haven't worked on it like I should.

I think I have realized this week that a big part of the problem on my end has been comparing "what she did with / for him" with "what is she doing with / for me". There is a contrast effect there in a way it is not normally discussed. I am letting this go. I still feel it, but I MUST not think about. I'm only torturing my elf. laugh

I also got a lot of help reading the "resentment as punishment" thread. I am going to suck it up and walk away from the mountain. New start.

Tonight, we are going out for our Saturday date night. Next week, we are going to get those hours in if it's the last thing I do.
FTF
I hope you have been working on UA time because it is paramount to MR. Listen to the vets. Sugar Cane gave you spot on advice earlier as have the rest of the ones who are recovered.
Dr. Harley tells BH to continue meeting their FWW's EN. The very thing that creates the desire for SF in most women, Affection, IC ,RC. You have to brainstorm ways to make this happen.
As for the contrast effect I had to stop thinking about it and the way I did that was to double down on meeting the FWW's EN, I mean full on expert at them.

Reading DR. Harley's concepts here and from HN/HN on the difference between men and women when it comes to SF you start to see the genius in his plan.

The above mentioned and other specific EN's of you FWW are things she needs to have the desire and what you are should be doing in spades! Hey buddy let's face it for most guys what we need to desire SF is a pulse! But as Dr. Harley says in HN/HN

"A man can not achieve sexual fulfillment in his marriage unless his wife is sexually fulfilled as well."

I made this my motivation and goal to preserver and continue meeting those needs of my FWW. The plan works but you have to have the UA!
Make the time for UA!

Me 59 newly married after being a widow
Married 1 year
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by wle2
As for the contrast effect I had to stop thinking about it and the way I did that was to double down on meeting the FWW's EN, I mean full on expert at them.

The above mentioned and other specific EN's of you FWW are things she needs to have the desire and what you are should be doing in spades!

This is a challenge. Mostly because she does not articulate what specifically she wants / needs. I'm left just guessing and "doing stuff".

We were given the assignment to list our ENs and then compose a list of "I would love it ifs" for each need. I don't think she has worked on it at all, but I will be interested to see what she says. I need to schedule our next appointment to put a deadline on it.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
W
W
When in doubt, focus on the 4 intimate ENs.

Me - BH 49 years old
Her - WW 43 years old
Married 20 years
D Day Jan 7, 2013
3 kids - DS19, DS17, DS12
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by Wow777

Well I do. What I'm saying is I don't have any specifics.

How do you like your need for affection to be met?

How do you like your need for IC to be met?

What would make SF more enjoyable for you?

For RC I do have some answers.

It's great for people here to give me lists of things to meet those needs, but those are things they like / want. I need those answers from my W.

Anyway, I have hope I'll get those answers sooner or later.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
L
L
Originally Posted by Wow777

Well I do. What I'm saying is I don't have any specifics.

How do you like your need for affection to be met?

How do you like your need for IC to be met?

What would make SF more enjoyable for you?

For RC I do have some answers.

It's great for people here to give me lists of things to meet those needs, but those are things they like / want. I need those answers from my W.

Anyway, I have hope I'll get those answers sooner or later.

Until you hear directly from your wife what she wants from you: You may already be doing this, but one way to show your wife affection, aka care, is to perform little things like opening her car door, gently taking her arm or elbow to lead her through restaurants or other public places, little touches on her shoulder here and there, helping her seat herself, all those little gentlemanly things that are "safe" to do, and "safe" to receive but are so gallant.

If your wife isn't open yet to receiving outright affection, such as hugs and kisses, and isn't giving any other ideas, then caring and courteous gestures might deposit love units.

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Recovered thanks to Marriage Builders
P
P
Thanks, Pepperband. I wonder if you could help me track down a post of yours. Sometime in the last 12-14 months (I think) you posted a list of suggestions for FWH's to care for their wives in concrete (not symbolic) ways. i.e., not bringing her flowers and cards and such because she won't accept such symbols of care because there is no actual care!

LINK to thread written to FWH

F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by LongWayFromHome
If your wife isn't open yet to receiving outright affection, such as hugs and kisses, and isn't giving any other ideas, then caring and courteous gestures might deposit love units.

No, she is. I give her multiple kisses and hugs every day. I just don't have any idea if she likes it or not. She puts on her happy face most of the time, happy or not, so it's hard to tell what she needs and when.

I'm really wanting more O&H from her in regards to what kind of mood she is really in day to day. What's bothering her? What's making her happy? What's on her mind. I ask, but for some reason, I don't think I get intimate answers. It kind of reminds me of when I ask my son what he did at school that day and he says "I don't know". The only thing he will ever admit to is going to lunch or the playground at school. smile

Last edited by FightTheFight; 04/03/13 11:02 AM.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
P
P
It kind of reminds me of when I ask my son what he did at school that day and he says "I don't know". The only thing he will ever admit to is going to lunch or the playground at school. smile

I'm going to respond to this part, and leave it up to you to extrapolate how you can arc this towards your wife.

Dad: What did you do at school today?
Son: Nothing.
Dad: Nothing? Did you breathe? (check his pulse) You are still alive!
Son: Yeah. I ate lunch.
Dad: Did you eat bugs at lunch?
Son: (laughing) No. I ate a sandwich.
Dad: Did it have weeds? Did your sandwich have sand?
Son: (getting it) No it had snails.
Dad: A snail a day keeps the freckles away.

OK.... stickout That is just silly. But, did you make "love bank deposits" with your son? or, did you quiz him like he was on trial?

Remember this, what matters is YOUR attitude. You are going to have to push your creativity if you want to gain traction.

Go from there .... extrapolate away .......

F
OP Offline
F
lol. That's almost exactly how the conversation goes with my son. I usually ask him if he had a poop sandwich though. Apparently that's funny these days.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
P
P
lol. That's almost exactly how the conversation goes with my son. I usually ask him if he had a poop sandwich though. Apparently that's funny these days.

Well, when you 'extrapolate' this to successfully interact with a one word response W .... leave off the poop. Just a suggestion. rotflmao

N
N
You mentioned a vacation several weeks ago.

Any progress on securing childcare during such an excursion?

Me (BH)
FWW
Married 2000, DS 8, DD 6, DD 2

F
OP Offline
F
You mentioned a vacation several weeks ago.

Any progress on securing childcare during such an excursion?

Yes we could do it. We had discussed just checking into an upscale local hotel and enjoying things like sleeping in! smile

We haven't discussed it since though. To be honest I kind of forgot about it with other things going on recently. Thanks for the reminder. I'm going to bring it back up.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
F
OP Offline
F
We have a date set for our mini-vacation. First weekend in June. I wanted to do it earlier, but I'll take what I can get. I also suggested that we could make this something we do quarterly. Sounded like a good idea.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
Page 20 of 67 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 66 67

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 827 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation