Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
OP Offline
K
I have read both HNHN and LB. I filled out my emotional needs and gave them to my wife. She read through my answers and became very concerned that I had listed honest and openness as 7th on my list. I am having a very difficult time explaining that although my needs ranked it at 7th, it doesn't mean it isn't important to me and that i don't think it is critical in a successful marriage - because i do, it just doesn't give me warm fuzzies. She has started reading the books, but mostly jumped to the honesty and openness chapter in the HNHN book. I'm over here scratching my head about the questionaire backfiring on me. Any suggestions?

M
M
She doesn't get to choose what your most important needs are.

Also ENs change as the R changes, you age, etc.

You probably listed it low because she has probably been O&H with you. Ya think?

Me: 57 Her: 54
M: 31 years
Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
K
OP Offline
K
But, what can I do to help explain the concept?

B
B
Originally Posted by kcinok1125
But, what can I do to help explain the concept?
Has she read HNHN also?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

B
B
Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
I'm in the business of trying to save all marriages, not just average marriages, so I encourage each couple to ignore what I say about average male and female needs and identify those that are unique to them. That way each spouse's list of the most important emotional needs reflects what he or she appreciates the most. When they meet those needs for each other, they create the greatest happiness, and trigger a mutual feeling of love.
The Most important Emotional Needs

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

K
OP Offline
K
mostly just the O & H chapter.

B
B
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
I'm in the business of trying to save all marriages, not just average marriages, so I encourage each couple to ignore what I say about average male and female needs and identify those that are unique to them. That way each spouse's list of the most important emotional needs reflects what he or she appreciates the most. When they meet those needs for each other, they create the greatest happiness, and trigger a mutual feeling of love.
The Most important Emotional Needs

Did you see this?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

B
B
What about having her listen to Dr. Harley explain it?

Radio Clip of Dr. Harley Explaining the ENs

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

B
B
Here's another.
Radio Clip

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

M
M
I have read both HNHN and LB. I filled out my emotional needs and gave them to my wife. She read through my answers and became very concerned that I had listed honest and openness as 7th on my list. I am having a very difficult time explaining that although my needs ranked it at 7th, it doesn't mean it isn't important to me and that i don't think it is critical in a successful marriage - because i do, it just doesn't give me warm fuzzies. She has started reading the books, but mostly jumped to the honesty and openness chapter in the HNHN book. I'm over here scratching my head about the questionaire backfiring on me. Any suggestions?

I don't understand what the problem is. Can you explain what the basic issue?

Radical honesty is a basic concept of this program regardless of whether or not O/H is an emotional need. Does she understand that?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

K
OP Offline
K
Brain, i listened to those two audio clips and i didn't feel they cleared up or focused on H&O. Maybe they weren't the intended clips?

B
B
Brain, i listened to those two audio clips and i didn't feel they cleared up or focused on H&O. Maybe they weren't the intended clips?
They were supposed to help to explain, from Dr. H, how everyone has their own ENs. Did you not get that?

Your DW not believing your placement of O&H is a DJ.

Will your DW come here an post?

Did you want clips on O&H?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

K
OP Offline
K
Clips on O&H would be great

M
M
Clips on O&H would be great

Don't pigeon hole yourself into talking with her only about O&H. There has to be a way of diluting the conversation into more than that.

How about you try talking about her needs? I suspect O&H are close to #1 on her list. Seek to understand her perspective. Maybe then you'll be given the opportunity to explain to her your persepective.

Me: 57 Her: 54
M: 31 years
Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
M
M
Everyone ranks their needs differently. Honesty and openness are for me #1. For my husband it's SF. His top needs are important to me because I care about him. And hopefully vice versa.

I think often times the way we rank our needs is based on what we feel we don't get. Usually our spouse's top needs are going to rank lower for us because they generally meet those naturally. So if H&O is a top need for her, she will likely meet it for you easily, making it a lower priority on your list. Just like if I feel like I'm getting more than enough SF I'll probably rank that as lower. How we rank emotional needs are more reflective of what we feel we need to receive, not so much what we are willing to give.

Really all 10 needs are vitally important to all of us. If one of them is missing we are likely to feel at least some degree of discontent.

Maybe try to explain it that way and see if that helps.

M
M
Asking the question again since I STILL have absolutely no idea what the problem is. You say H&O is 7th on your list. So what? What is the issue with that? Why is that a problem?

Originally Posted by MelodyLane

I don't understand what the problem is. Can you explain what the basic issue?

Radical honesty is a basic concept of this program regardless of whether or not O/H is an emotional need. Does she understand that?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
I don't get it.

Exposure 101

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
2 members (anchorwatch, 1 invisible), 448 guests, and 70 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation