Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 26 of 67 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 66 67
G
G
FTF,

Is it possible for the dates to end in some kind of intimacy other than intercourse? I've found with my W that there is no forcing a horse to drink so to speak, and it might avoid the horrors of artificial lubrication, which I am too familiar with.

God Bless
Gamma

F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by Gamma
FTF,

Is it possible for the dates to end in some kind of intimacy other than intercourse? I've found with my W that there is no forcing a horse to drink so to speak, and it might avoid the horrors of artificial lubrication, which I am too familiar with.

God Bless
Gamma

Well, if you're saying what I think you are saying, it usually does. Not by my choice BTW. Ten minutes of one sided SF isn't my idea of a great time.

Me (42)
Her (43) - feuillecouleur

DS(11)
DD(7)

Married: June 24, 2000

Recovered
F
OP Offline
F
Well, Thursday date night went well I think. On to Saturday.

We have our next appointment with Jennifer tonight. It's been about a month since we last spoke to her. I'm having trouble organizing what I want to get help with from her. Other than the obvious. Any suggestions from the board on things you see that I need help with?

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
F
OP Offline
F
I don't understand why we're not making more progress. I don't love bust my wife. I've corrected every complaint she has about me, or at least put in a great effort to do so. I'm spending as much time with her as I can. I make time to date her every week multiple times. I study the program and try to put into practice what I've learned.

I don't get it.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
P
P
How much UA time are you getting?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

M
M
FtF, are you guys listening to Dr. Harley's radio show? Maybe you can find out there what you are missing.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by Prisca

5/5 - 5/11 = 12.5
5/12 - 5/18 = 15.5
5/19 - 5/25 = 11.5
5/26 - 6/1 = 15.0
6/2 - 6/8 = 14.0
6/9 - 6/15 = 14 (Including tonight)

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by markos
FtF, are you guys listening to Dr. Harley's radio show? Maybe you can find out there what you are missing.

I listen to the show every day. She really doesn't like listening to it at all.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
F
OP Offline
F
...and I'm not really sure why either. She doesn't like the forums, she doesn't like listening to the radio show. She says it is repetitive. It would be a Dj for me to speculate otherwise I believe?

Last edited by FightTheFight; 06/15/13 05:00 PM.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
F
OP Offline
F
Babysitter will be here for our date in 10 mins, so I'll check back later.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
M
M
Originally Posted by FightTheFight
I don't understand why we're not making more progress. I don't love bust my wife. I've corrected every complaint she has about me, or at least put in a great effort to do so. I'm spending as much time with her as I can. I make time to date her every week multiple times. I study the program and try to put into practice what I've learned.

I don't get it.

Did you share this with Dr. Chalmers, and what did she say?

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Originally Posted by Prisca

5/5 - 5/11 = 12.5
5/12 - 5/18 = 15.5
5/19 - 5/25 = 11.5
5/26 - 6/1 = 15.0
6/2 - 6/8 = 14.0
6/9 - 6/15 = 14 (Including tonight)

Well, that's one thing there: you do need to bring this up to 15 or more every week. I see you putting a lot of time in there, but just not quite enough hours. 14 isn't enough. Dr. Harley says there really seems to be something "magic" about getting those 15 hours.

M
M
...and I'm not really sure why either. She doesn't like the forums, she doesn't like listening to the radio show. She says it is repetitive. It would be a Dj for me to speculate otherwise I believe?

Yes, it would most likely be a DJ to speculate.

It's okay if she's not listening for now - the important thing is to keep YOU listening. Figuring out these last couple rungs on the ladder is going to take a bit of continued education and motivation on your part. The show provides both.

Have you considered emailing Dr. Harley and asking him for some help on the show? It's free!

M
M
This is my guess: at this point your wife is not quite in love with you. She probably feels good about you, may even say she loves you, but you're just not quite past the romantic love threshold. You need just a little more time each week (get those 15 hours), and you may need to make a couple more small adjustments in your love bank depositing technique, and you are likely to cross the romantic love threshold.

When you do, your wife is going to change. Her emotions are going to motivate her to meet your emotional needs with a motivation neither of you can imagine right now. It's going to multiply her efforts x1000. You are going to suddenly start to feel a lot better, because she is suddenly going to be making much bigger love bank deposits.

Take a listen to the radio show links below. It's one of the best ever for men, I think. Probably my favorite of all time. (I was actually on the show myself a couple days later!)

One key thing to realize about passing the love bank threshold is that it is sudden, not gradual. One day, the balance is not quite at the threshold, and she tolerates you. The next day, you've made just a couple more deposits more, and Dr. Harley says men wake up and it's like they are married to a different woman. He's had men call him and ask if he thinks their wives are taking hormones or something. Then, the love bank balance dips right back down below the threshold, and she goes back to merely tolerating her husband. And that up and down behavior may continue for awhile until he builds a big enough balance in her love bank that random dips are still not going down below that threshold for romantic love.

Here is my favorite radio show of all time, where Dr. Harley describes this. I'm not sure what segment it is in, but it's very encouraging, and it agrees with my experience:

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/radio_program/play_segment.cfm?sid=3324
http://www.marriagebuilders.com/radio_program/play_segment.cfm?sid=3325
http://www.marriagebuilders.com/radio_program/play_segment.cfm?sid=3326
http://www.marriagebuilders.com/radio_program/play_segment.cfm?sid=3327

F
OP Offline
F
Thanks for the feedback. We had a pretty good date last night, but it's not what you would expect. We went out to eat at a place we have wanted to try, and it turned out to be totally different than we expected..in a good way.

After that, we went....grocery shopping. It was her idea. I know it sounds totally unromantic, but we had a pleasant time.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
F
OP Offline
F

I don't get it.

Did you share this with Dr. Chalmers, and what did she say?

I did not. But, even so, she has specific things she wants us doing more of. The big ones are more time, and more, consistent feedback. She wants us giving each other feedback on how we are meeting each others top 5 needs each week. We kind of slacked off on that the past month. Mostly because my W told me she didn't have any feedback because "she hadn't done anything". (Which is totally untrue by the way).

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
L
L
A couple of things stand out to me, FTF.

First of all, I'm sure you understand that fifteen hours of UA time is the minimum time need to maintain romantic love. A marriage in crisis, working on restoration of romantic love, needs more than fifteen.

I understand you are finding it very difficult to get in even the minimum; however, your marriage will continue to limp along unless you and your wife can somehow jumpstart this requirement.

The other thing that stands out is the conversation you had with Dr. Harley, in which he said your wife has a very high emotional need for admiration and that you need to become the "president of her fan club." Would your wife say she is satisfied with the way you are meeting this need?

It's very easy to slack off on the feedback, but it is so important to keep that up, as Dr. Chalmers told you. It is your road map to romantic love.

When you and your wife were dating, what kinds of things did you both enjoy doing? What caused her to fall in love with you in the first place?

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Recovered thanks to Marriage Builders
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by LongWayFromHome
A couple of things stand out to me, FTF.

First of all, I'm sure you understand that fifteen hours of UA time is the minimum time need to maintain romantic love. A marriage in crisis, working on restoration of romantic love, needs more than fifteen.

I do understand. I know that the minimum is 15 hours, but that is really intended for couples that are already in love. 20+ hours in recommended to create romantic love. I'm really pushing to get as much time as I can. I mean really, what woman wouldn't be sooooo happy her husband wants this?

One of her friends/customers came to pick up her kid just the other day and said "you are so lucky" because my wife mentioned having a date scheduled.

I understand you are finding it very difficult to get in even the minimum; however, your marriage will continue to limp along unless you and your wife can somehow jumpstart this requirement.

I'll keep pushing for it. I got about a $375 per month raise starting next month, so I hope this will ease the budget concerns she has.

The other thing that stands out is the conversation you had with Dr. Harley, in which he said your wife has a very high emotional need for admiration and that you need to become the "president of her fan club." Would your wife say she is satisfied with the way you are meeting this need?

I don't know. Since then, she hasn't identified it (AD) as a top need. I trust his intuition though. I wonder if he picked up on something that Dr C. has not?

It's very easy to slack off on the feedback, but it is so important to keep that up, as Dr. Chalmers told you. It is your road map to romantic love.

When you and your wife were dating, what kinds of things did you both enjoy doing? What caused her to fall in love with you in the first place?

That is my mission for this month. I want to make sure we get our feedback in.

Last edited by FightTheFight; 06/17/13 08:08 PM.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
G
G
FTF,

After that, we went....grocery shopping. It was her idea. I know it sounds totally unromantic, but we had a pleasant time.

Very good thing to do, any time together is better than falling short. I think I almost never went shopping with my W before MB, I can't imagine not going now. Putting thing in the cart sorting coupons it's all good and provides domestic support.

Sometimes you just have to meet their needs without expectation of return.

On occasion my W gets compliments on my helping her and I think this helps too.

God Bless
Gamma

Last edited by Gamma; 06/17/13 09:27 PM.
F
OP Offline
F
We got our date in yesterday (Tuesday). Yahoo! We have another scheduled tomorrow (Thursday). This weekend we are going away together without the children. Again, Yahoo!

I'd really love it if my W would join me on the forum and study with me more. Any tips for bringing this up?

Last edited by FightTheFight; 06/19/13 06:50 PM.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
Page 26 of 67 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 66 67

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 369 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation