Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
jct94 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I understand I know I was not in plan b before. I will follow everything that has been posted. He is taking our kids camping from tomorrow on. I can't kick him out right in front of the kids (the big kids do know he's being kicked out and why) and he won't leave on his own. Monday when he leaves for work is the soonest I can do this. It will give me time to figure out an IM and we won't be together anyway, me, the baby and my 14 yo dd are staying here.

M
M
Originally Posted by jct94
I understand I know I was not in plan b before. I will follow everything that has been posted. He is taking our kids camping from tomorrow on. I can't kick him out right in front of the kids (the big kids do know he's being kicked out and why) and he won't leave on his own. Monday when he leaves for work is the soonest I can do this. It will give me time to figure out an IM and we won't be together anyway, me, the baby and my 14 yo dd are staying here.

Have you asked him to leave? You CAN ask him respectfully to leave in front of your kids. Tell him his affair is too painful for you to endure and ask him to pack up and leave.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Has any one been able to do this w/ no IM?

No, we have seen people have nervous breakdowns from trying to not have an IM.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
J
jct94 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I have asked him to leave. 3x since Saturday, he has refused yesterday he said no then I told him again and he said he would leave when the kids are sleeping, he did not. He said he'll leave when he's ready. When I asked when he planned on it, he said he doesn't know. I know she is pushing him to stay. He is already packed. I did that for him when I saw him at her house. He said he can pack for himself.
I really don't think that he has any intentions of leaving. I have to do it when he's already out of the house. Even when I kicked him out last time, he still tried to follow me to the car. He told his sister last time he wouldn't have left even though he told me over and over he was going to. I will see if his work friend can be our IM. If not then the only people I have left are people who will tell me everything he says.

J
J
You should consult an attorney.
Tell the attorney that your husband is having an affair and comes in and out of the marital home, causing you emotional stress.
Explain to the attorney that you are following the advice of Dr Bill Harley author of Surviving an Affair and you need to get him out of the home and file for child support and ensure your finances are protected.

The attorney can help with this and the initial visit is usually free. I would do this first because you don't want him to empty the bank accounts when he leaves.

And DONT tell him you are seeing an attorney.

J
jct94 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Child support was established when he left last time, he also gave me the rest of his check. I just gave him $100 a week out of it, our divorce is also 1/2 paid for. He already knows I've seen a lawyer and paid 1/2 the retainer last time. We never stopped the c.s. order so I would still have that, plus we talked the other day and I told him I would need the same amount of money this time because I wold have a hard time finding a job, and he said he would do that.

J
jct94 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Also with NC, our neices graduation party is coming up in August, they waited until other family were going to be here. So how do I handle that? It's his sisters daughter, but I babysat her every day until she was 10, she does feel like one of my own to me. I can't ask him not to go, and I would be so disapointed not to go and so would my niece, also our kids bday party is coming up. One has his bday in june the other july and we always do the party mid july. How do I do that now?
And the IM, it's looking like the only people I can get are going to be ones who will pass everything along or tell us what we are doing. We don't belong to a church or anything, are they better options than text? I can ignore what he texts, but they will tell him my reaction to what he says.

M
M
And the IM, it's looking like the only people I can get are going to be ones who will pass everything along or tell us what we are doing. We don't belong to a church or anything, are they better options than text? I can ignore what he texts, but they will tell him my reaction to what he says.

jct, you would need to skip any events that he will be attending. Seeing him at some event will make you feel horrible. Just send a nice present to the niece and explain to her on the phone why you can't be there. You don't need to be there to send your best wishes.

I would keep working on getting a good IM. "Texting' is not an option. It defeats the entire purpose.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

J
jct94 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Ok, I have a few more questions. I have not gone to plan B yet, our son was involved in an accident and broke both his arm and leg, he may need surgery which we'll find out for sure August 29. I was planning on kicking him out after that. As bad as things are I need him here to help with the kids while we've been to all my sons appointments.
I did a 2cnd workplace expousure, this time certified mail and cc'd. He was approached by upper management and is furious. I'm not sure I ever have seen him this mad, he said I am trying to ruin his life, he can't trust me now, I humilliated him, just all kinds of stuff. So I think it had the opposite effect on him?

As for plan b he has already figured out what I'm going to do (he knows because I was getting ready to do this last time). He said he won't go through anyone else, he wants to be able to see the kids more and he doesn't see why I can't be here as well, that I'm being immature about this. Obviously I can make sure I'm not here when he sees the kids. There isn't any other place for him to see them except for her house and that is not happening. And I can block his phone # from my cell and not answer if he calls the house, but what else can I do? I cannot afford to change the locks, I'm just planning on taking his house key, last time he kept 1 that I thought he lost though. Also some of the older kids don't want to see him when he leaves, how do I handle that? Mostly my 11 & 14 yo. My 16 & 17 both have friends they see on the weekends and my 17 yo has a job that he works on the weekends

Other than this I'm all set for plan B, just waiting to see what the dr says.

B
B
Is he still at the house?

You can't go to a Home appliance store and buy new locks and have someone help you install them?

Why did you do a second exposure at his workplace? Did the first one not get through?

Having any communication with him is not Plan B?

If he won't communicate through an IM then he doesn't get to hear from you.

Is he still with OW?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

J
jct94 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
He is still in the house, with our 11 yo being pretty much bedridden until the casts come off, I really need his help w/ our other 7 children. Th casts come off August 29 and hopefully he'll not need surgery.

I can get the locks but I really have no one that could put them in, I can't ask my 16 or 17 yo to change the locks on their dad, and really I know of no one else. We are living pretty much paycheck to paycheck right now, with school starting I just can't afford the cost.

I did a 2nd exposure because I received no response from the 1st and that was done last year he stopped the affair and then restarted it.

He is still with her, I know that any communication is not plan b, I plan on ignoring anything he tries, is it normal for WH's to try and ignore nc?

B
B
Do your children know the truth about their dad's affair?

Yes waywards who want to play the "you don't tell me who I have to talk to" card does not respect the BS's need for NC. It's abuse. They continue to be entitled and inflict pain on the BS.

Their dad chose to break up the family not you or them.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

J
jct94 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
My oldest 4 do, the younger ones are 6, 4, 3 and 8 months. I am going to tell the 6 yo, my 4 yo I'm not sure yet and the 3 yo and 8 month old wouldn't understand anyway.

P
P
Jct, I just read your thread and wanted to extend my utmost sympathy to you. I am also a betrayed spouse with a large family (not quite as large as yours - we have five kids) and I understand just how devastating this is. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

DDay - July 25, 2013
DDay #2 - January 27, 2014
DDay #3 - June 29, 2014
BS - Me, 39
WW - Her, 36
5 kids
Married 17 yrs.
B
B
My oldest 4 do, the younger ones are 6, 4, 3 and 8 months. I am going to tell the 6 yo, my 4 yo I'm not sure yet and the 3 yo and 8 month old wouldn't understand anyway.
I agree the 3 and 8mo are too young.

Have you seen this?
Originally Posted by Dr Harley
Dr. Harley on telling the children:

The same can be said about telling children about an affair. My experience with the positive outcomes of hundreds of families where an affair has been exposed to children has led me to encourage a betrayed spouse not to fear such exposure. In fact, to mislead children, giving other false explanations as to why their parents are not getting along, causes children to be very confused. When they finally discover the truth, it sets an example to children that dishonesty is sometimes acceptable, making them the judge of when that might occur.

An affair is an attack on children as well as the betrayed spouse. And it's true that children are deeply affected by this form of irresponsible behavior. But it's the act of infidelity that causes children to suffer, not the exposure of it. Facts point us toward solutions. Illusion leads us astray. That's true for children as well as adults.

Q: So, you do suggest telling our 10 year old son? Is this more than he can handle? He never saw any real unhappiness as my husband and I had a very low conflict marriage. I have been protecting our son from this truth. He still has hope that his dad is going to come home.
A: As for your son, the truth will come out eventually, even if you get back together again. And your son won't be emotionally crippled if he hears the truth. It's lies and deception that cripple children. He should know that your husband is choosing his lover over his son's mother. It's a fact. He's willing to ruin a family unit all for what.

When I first started recommending openness about an affair, I wasn't sure what would happen. But I did it because I knew it was the right thing to do. Now I know that for most couples it marks the beginning of recovery.

The reason that children should know about an affair is that exposing it to the light of day (letting everyone know), helps give the unfaithful spouse a dose of reality. An affair thrives on illusion, and whatever a betrayed spouse can do to eliminate the illusion is justifiable. Mold doesn't grow well in sunlight.

2. How honest should I be about the A? (they are 7 and under)

Tell your children as much as you can about their father's affair, and how it affects you. There are some counselors and lawyers that strongly disagree with me on this issue, but I have maintained that position for over 35 years without any evidence that children are hurt by it. They're hurt by the affair, not by accurate information regarding the affair. Just make sure that you don't combine accurate information with disrespectful judgments. For example, you can say that the OW has taken their father away from you, but you should not say that she is home-wrecker (or worse).

My basic approach to life is that radical honesty is valuable on many different dimensions. It keeps us out of trouble, it helps others understand us, and it helps others avoid the same mistakes we have made. Letting your children know the details of your husband's affair would help them in all three areas.

The more your children know about your husband's affair, the more careful he will be to avoid them in the future.

The more your children know about his affair, the more they will understand what you are going through in your recovery (by the way, you are doing very well -- keep up the good work!).

Being radically honest about your husband's affair with your children would also help them avoid affairs themselves. How it happened and how could it have been prevented is a great object lesson for children. I learned that I was vulnerable for an affair when I learned about my grandfather's affairs. The extraordinary precautions I've taken were directly related to what I learned about him.

It's the approach I've always taken, and while it's difficult, especially for the WS, there's much more upside to it than downside.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

B
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

J
jct94 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I kicked my husband out last week. I was going to wait until after my sons dr. appointment, but I realised that I would be under less stress with him gone.

I took his stuff to work at lunch along with my plan b letter, and his lunch. I probably shouldn't have taken his lunch though.

So the only IM I have available is my sister and it's not working out well, he of course doesn't want an IM and she works in the er and goes to school and messages are not getting anywhere in a timely fashion. There have also been a few times where she hasn't received messages I've sent, my husband has also ignored most of her texts and texted me directly. I've gotten a new phone with a new # that he does not know.

As of right now he sees the kids in our home and he has gone along with what I asked of coming in/out the front and I use the back. Yesterday he left a note in my laptop though, saying that he doesn't gas money money to come out here tomorrow and thursday unless i have gas money and that he really wishes I could be nice to him (I think he means sit and talk with him like last time) once and a while. I'm at a loss of what to do there is not 1 single person I can think of to be an IM, how can I fix this situation?

M
M
Hi jct, more later, but for now I would change the locks so he can't come in your home. He needs to pick up the kids and take them out for visitation. Set up a very rigid visitation schedule, such as every Wednesday night from 5 to 7 and every Saturday from 1 to 4.

In the meantime, I would look to find another IM. Why is he sending you so much communication? If only PERTINENT communication about child visitation and finances is passed on, then what is all this communication regarding? Communication should be very rare if you set everything up in advance, such as an iron clad visitation.

Exposure 101

M
M
Oh wait, I see you have an 8 month old. In that case, I would arrange visitation/pickups at someone's house.

Exposure 101

J
jct94 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I wish there was somewhere else he could see the kids, all our family here just don't have the room for 8 kids to come or just won't. I honestly can't think of 1 person who could be an IM. We didn't go to church or have any friends. My husband does have 1 friend who I thought of but his brother has leukimia and that is where his focus is right now. I wouldn't feel right asking him for this. Until he left the note this was working well with me leaving, we didn't run into each other at all.

Last time when he was gone anytime he came I was here, I cooked dinner, and we put the younger ones to bed and sat on the couch and talked (I know, I know, it was stupid but I've learned)and within a couple weeks he was wanting to come back. I think he thought it would be the same this time.

The communication is mostly when he'll see the kids, I did give him the schedule for visitation, but he thinks that it isn't enough, and this week i said he could have extra since it was the last week before school starts. He works 2nd shift so he can see them during the week now. The schedule I gave him was Tuesday & Thursday 12 -3:10 Saturday & Sunday 1-5 and 1 lunch a week, but he had to bring his own lunch and text our IM 1 day in advance. I printed out our county general visitation schedule also so he could see what he would get in a divorce.

What he had last time was Saturday & Sunday around 11-1 until 8-9. Towards the end he came closer to 11 and left after 9 sometimes. He also came for lunches anywhere from 2-4x a week. Every Wednesday while I took my kids to appointments, I picked him up around 9:30 and he left at worktime. He did not have a car but we were looking for 1 for me and after finding one he waned to com 2 or 3 more times during the week from 11 until he had to leave for work.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 493 guests, and 47 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation