Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 59 of 64 1 2 57 58 59 60 61 63 64
M
M
HHH, do you know where your triglycerides are? Mine were 495 when I started and are now at 61.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

K
K
Tonight's dinner is a pork roast with onions. We got it cheap but figured out why when we tried to cut it--there was a bone in. So it went in the slow cooker with onions, as nothing else could fit.

I swear I feel pathetic next to you guys...

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
H
H
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand
Breakfast;

4 hard boiled eggs, 2 cheese sticks.

Lunch;

Cucumbers, Celery w/ jalepeno cream cheese, roast beef and lettuce wrapped in low carb tortillas.

Dinner;

Dunno yet.

Snack;

Low carb snack bar.

One month in - still 245lbs, but inches are shrinking off. Beginning to think I'm destined to be 250lbs fat or fit.

You are speaking my language!! That sounds like my kind of day. If I am on the run, I have 2 cheese sticks in the car and it keeps me full all morning. What kind of low carb snack bar do you eat?

Another thing I like for breakfast sometimes is home-made sugar free cheesecake. It is a nice, healthy, filling breakfast. One cheesecake gives me 8 slices and that is enough for breakfast for a week and one afternoon snack.

We get the Atkins snack and meal bars. Several varities always on hand. Today was a chocolate peanut butter bar.

If I'm on the run out the door, I have some chocolate peanut butter whey protein (6g net per scoop) that I mix with unsweetened almond milk (0g! yay!). We also keep around sugar free jello and whipped cream, ice cream bars (3g, and 2g fudge bars).

It's always been hard for me to maintain as I've always had to fly solo, but NGB's metabolizm is slowing, so she wanted to cut 15 pounds. I'll miss watching her walk away a little... but, if she's happy with herself, I'll be happier with her.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
H
H
HHH, do you know where your triglycerides are? Mine were 495 when I started and are now at 61.

I don't. But I do suspect that I am prediabetic.

I need to go in and have a whole workup done, it's been quite a while since I've been to the doc.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

M
M

I need to go in and have a whole workup done, it's been quite a while since I've been to the doc.

I found out I was pre-diabetic 3 years ago. I started socking on weight for absolutely no apparent reason and could not lose it to save my life. I had controlled my weight for 10+ years on low carb and suddenly I couldn't. I was eating clean [low carb] and working out 5-6 X a week. When my doctor told me my A1c was 6.0 and I was pre-diabetic I didn't believe him! But it turns out he was right so I have been taking metformin and victoza for a couple of years now.

THAT was the cause of my weight gain and the inability to lose weight. Once I got my blood sugar under control, I started losing weight. I have lost most of that weight back and am back into most of my slim clothes. My A1c was down to 5.4 in March. I found out that diabetes runs in my family and the endo told me that if I had not been on low carb all those years, I would likely be Type 1, insulin dependent today.

I hope you get it checked. I know I don't have to tell you how dangerous diabetes is. I feel 1000% better since I got my bs under control.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
[
We get the Atkins snack and meal bars. Several varities always on hand. Today was a chocolate peanut butter bar.

Choc peanut butter is my FAVORITE! laugh

Exposure 101

H
H
[

Choc peanut butter is my FAVORITE! laugh

Their peanut butter CUPS are excellent.

NGB has always hated "diet food," but has had no such complaints about any Atkins branded product.

We get Safeway "Watchin Carbs" ice cream bars... possibly Tom Thumb's in your area.

H
H

I found out I was pre-diabetic 3 years ago. I started socking on weight for absolutely no apparent reason and could not lose it to save my life. I had controlled my weight for 10+ years on low carb and suddenly I couldn't. I was eating clean [low carb] and working out 5-6 X a week. When my doctor told me my A1c was 6.0 and I was pre-diabetic I didn't believe him! But it turns out he was right so I have been taking metformin and victoza for a couple of years now.

THAT was the cause of my weight gain and the inability to lose weight. Once I got my blood sugar under control, I started losing weight. I have lost most of that weight back and am back into most of my slim clothes. My A1c was down to 5.4 in March. I found out that diabetes runs in my family and the endo told me that if I had not been on low carb all those years, I would likely be Type 1, insulin dependent today.

I hope you get it checked. I know I don't have to tell you how dangerous diabetes is. I feel 1000% better since I got my bs under control.

Native on my mother's side, carry all my weight in my gut. I'm quite certain I am at risk.

Now that I've got medical insurance again, I need to get this done... procrastinate, procrastinate, procrastinate...

M
M
[

Native on my mother's side, carry all my weight in my gut. I'm quite certain I am at risk.

Now that I've got medical insurance again, I need to get this done... procrastinate, procrastinate, procrastinate...

Would you even believe that you can now check your own A1c at home?? I didn't believe it until I read it on the ADA forum and did some follow up research. A lot of the members there have used this self check kit and then compared it to their lab results. It gave a perfect reading! They swear by this kit. The kit costs about $29 at Walmart and I tried it myself 2 weeks ago because my daily glucose readings were slightly elevated due to taking prednisone for 2 months in my eyes. Sure enough, my A1c had gone up to 5.7 and the doctor confirmed this last Friday.

So, if you are interested in doing that, the kit is called "A1cNow" SelfCheck by Bayer. I also check my glucose at home every morning and sometimes after I eat. If I am eating something NEW I will test my BS 2 hours afterwards to see what effect it has on my bs.

Exposure 101

H
H
[

Would you even believe that you can now check your own A1c at home?? I didn't believe it until I read it on the ADA forum and did some follow up research. A lot of the members there have used this self check kit and then compared it to their lab results. It gave a perfect reading! They swear by this kit. The kit costs about $29 at Walmart and I tried it myself 2 weeks ago because my daily glucose readings were slightly elevated due to taking prednisone for 2 months in my eyes. Sure enough, my A1c had gone up to 5.7 and the doctor confirmed this last Friday.

So, if you are interested in doing that, the kit is called "A1cNow" SelfCheck by Bayer. I also check my glucose at home every morning and sometimes after I eat. If I am eating something NEW I will test my BS 2 hours afterwards to see what effect it has on my bs.

I don't like when the needles are pointed at ME, Mel.

I'll have to look into it, but I am double-covered for medical, and a full physician's work up is in order. I also want to ask for an rx for tobacco cessation.

My midlife crisis is attempting to make sure my joke of being dead in 15 years doesn't come true.

K
K
It helps to pick up another habit if you want to drop smoking, like running, or maybe chewing gum (do NOT use sugar-free).

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
H
H
Worse. I chew.

I tried to quit in 2010... it... wasn't a good time to try to do that...

If I were to try running again, I'd have to focus on doing sprint circuits, as with my weight right now running for distance is murder on my knees.

M
M
If I were to try running again, I'd have to focus on doing sprint circuits, as with my weight right now running for distance is murder on my knees.

I have been doing low impact cardio and it is murder. The exercises are actually anaerobic, they are so strenuous. I have found you can get an awesome cardio workout without the high impact. Another way is an elliptical. I bought one but gave it away because I found it boring, but it was a hell of a work out without the impact.

Karmarose, no sugar free, huh?

Exposure 101

N
N
My midlife crisis is attempting to make sure my joke of being dead in 15 years doesn't come true.

Dude, that is not a funny joke.

I have been a sports official since 1992, in a sport which requires a great deal of running. I was doing a game one night in July 2006, when I felt a crushing pressure in my chest. I finished the game (Bride still bristles at this!), DROVE MYSELF HOME, went to bed, and told Bride about it in the morning. When I finally made it to the ER, they found a 95% blockage in the LAD, and though my total cholesterol was but 187, my HDL was only 45!

Unless you KNOW where your figures are, I question whether eating four eggs a day is advisable.

H
H

I have been doing low impact cardio and it is murder. The exercises are actually anaerobic, they are so strenuous. I have found you can get an awesome cardio workout without the high impact. Another way is an elliptical. I bought one but gave it away because I found it boring, but it was a hell of a work out without the impact.

Karmarose, no sugar free, huh?

I did step before, and made sure I did it full speed and all movements at full force - it worked dang well.

I actually love the elliptical because it is deceiving. You go full bore and think it's nothing... and then you step off... fantastic!

It's sad... I used to run a 5 minute mile...

H
H
Originally Posted by NeverGuessed

Dude, that is not a funny joke.

I have been a sports official since 1992, in a sport which requires a great deal of running. I was doing a game one night in July 2006, when I felt a crushing pressure in my chest. I finished the game (Bride still bristles at this!), DROVE MYSELF HOME, went to bed, and told Bride about it in the morning. When I finally made it to the ER, they found a 95% blockage in the LAD, and though my total cholesterol was but 187, my HDL was only 45!

Unless you KNOW where your figures are, I question whether eating four eggs a day is advisable.

Yeah, NGB don't think it's funny, either.

Strane humor.

Again, I work in elder care... and very few patients at my current facility or my last facility are male. Most are widowed women. I've only seen 2 or 3 widowers over 2 facilities in 5 years.

We don't do well without our wives...

M
M
I did step before, and made sure I did it full speed and all movements at full force - it worked dang well.

I actually love the elliptical because it is deceiving. You go full bore and think it's nothing... and then you step off... fantastic!

I agree it is very deceiving. I though low impact meant EASY, but it is anything BUT! crazy I have one low impact workout I have been doing that I actually have to stop because I thought I was going to pass out. It was definitely anaerobic. My young step daughter has had knee surgery from running and I just think some of us need to stick to low impact to avoid such damage.

Exposure 101

H
H

I agree it is very deceiving. I though low impact meant EASY, but it is anything BUT! crazy I have one low impact workout I have been doing that I actually have to stop because I thought I was going to pass out. It was definitely anaerobic. My young step daughter has had knee surgery from running and I just think some of us need to stick to low impact to avoid such damage.

Yup.

I ran at 200lbs. At 250lbs I can do it, but by day 3 I have serious joint pain in the knees. I also have bad ankles.

I just can't quite figure out why the fat is melting away visibly and quickly, but my weight is unchanged, as I haven't really started working out and haven't noticed any gains in muscle mass...

Anyway -

Dinner;

Low carb chilli.

W
W
Dinner tonight turned out to be:

Baked halibut
Steamed kale
quinoa

Me: BS/FWW: 48
BS/WH: 50
DS: 30, 27, 25
DD: 28
OC: 10
BH and I are raising my OC together.
M
M
Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes are actually two different diseases. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease. Your body attacks and destroys the insulin-producing beta cells in your pancreas. There is nothing one can do to avoid or prevent Type 1 diabetes. Type 2 diabetes is caused by insulin resistance. As we age, our insulin resistance goes up and our insulin production capacity goes down. If we were to live long enough, we would all get Type 2 diabetes eventually. There are lots of things you can do to prevent and delay the progression of Type 2 diabetes. An old Type 1 diabetic can develop insulin resistance and effectively have both diseases. An advanced Type 2 can so badly strain their beta cells as to cause them to cease producing insulin, and effectively look like a Type 1. However, there is hope of regaining some insulin production by controlling the disease and giving the beta cells a rest. A true Type 1 never regains insulin production.

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
DS - 38, autistic, lives at home
DD - 37, married and on her own
DS - 32, still living with us
Page 59 of 64 1 2 57 58 59 60 61 63 64

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
2 members (Blackhawk, 1 invisible), 441 guests, and 75 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation