Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
L
L
Your H is being very uncaring. You're correct: EPs are not negotiable. Flirting is offensive to you, and a caring husband would STOP flirting. Since he has already had two affairs, he MUST stop flirting, because it is often the first step in an affair.

Even if he had never had an affair, his flirting would be an offense to you. Flirting would be an offense to most wives.

If your H will not stop flirting, then you should consider preparing for a separation, because he's acting in a very uncaring way toward you.

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Recovered thanks to Marriage Builders
T
OP Offline
T
Even if he were to stop flirting, he would still tell me he resents them and that, at some point, he should be able to stop doing EPs.

How do I handle the resentment part?

M
M
Originally Posted by TheSewer
Even if he were to stop flirting, he would still tell me he resents them and that, at some point, he should be able to stop doing EPs.

How do I handle the resentment part?

That's ok, because the greater risk is your resentment. That is the greater risk. Let him know you may not feel so resentful if he stops. It will take time but if he tries hard to make it up to you with a safe, loving approach it will eventually fade. Flirting has no place in marriage and is profoundly disrespectful to you.

Let him know you will stay married to him as long as EPs are in place since their absence means you are not safe. You are not willing to be unsafe again.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Thank you, LongWayFromHome.

Yes. He flirts with them in front of me and ignores me in favor of them. So, it's not a stretch to believe he flirts behind my back, as well.

He follows the POJA. But, as I understand it, EPs are non-negotiable. He did SAY he agreed to them when I presented them to him. It is also my understanding that the WS will try to renegotiate, but I must not give in.

He says he is following the PORH when he tells me that he resents them.

Yes, he follows the EPs except for the flirting.
He is not following POJA. Are you enthusiastic about his flirting? Of course not. So, he shouldn't do it. *That* is following POJA.

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
DS - 38, autistic, lives at home
DD - 37, married and on her own
DS - 32, still living with us
M
M
Flirting is a form of courting and if he does that, I would plan to separate from him. My DH also had a bad flirting habit and I gave him an opportunity to stay married to me if he stopped. smile

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Not to mention that flirting is a HUGE lovebuster for the offended spouse. Yuck!!

Exposure 101

T
OP Offline
T
Oh. Thank you, ML.

I think I get it now. So, basically, ignore his whining (lol) and continue on course, except for the flirting. He did tell me he was going to "try" to stop the flirting. I know it's part of his personality and a very bad habit. Old habits are hard to break, but he must, I agree!

M
M
Oh. Thank you, ML.

I think I get it now. So, basically, ignore his whining (lol) and continue on course, except for the flirting. He did tell me he was going to "try" to stop the flirting. I know it's part of his personality and a very bad habit. Old habits are hard to break, but he must, I agree!

"Try??" Ok, "try" is a weasel word used by people who have no intention of quitting. I would not accept that!!! He won't get out of the habit if he doesn't STOP. And he can't stop he needs to stay away from females.

He needs to STOP flirting now. Saying he will "try" doesn't cut it.

TS, you need to start holding this fella accountable and stop tolerating his disrespectful, cruel behavior. That is part of the problem.

Exposure 101

M
M
"know it's part of his personality and a very bad habit. Old habits are hard to break, but he must, I agree!"

You are in the bad habit of allowing this...

Exposure 101

L
L
To add: My H also had a bad habit of flirting with women. He had to learn a whole new way of relating to them. We play acted a lot and I set up scenarios for us to work through, until he had a kind of script to follow.

He has to call women by either Ms. Last Name or First Name.

No personal compliments ever, nothing about their appearance or their personality. Workplace compliments are okay,such as praising for a job well done.

He must stand an arm's length away, even stepping back, if necessary.

He simply had to learn to act in a more reserved manner toward and with women. No more easy familiarity.

And he did it, too, with a few bumps and hiccups along the way. He did resent it a bit at first, but my resentment would be much worse. I was prepared with an escape plan if he continued.

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Recovered thanks to Marriage Builders
T
OP Offline
T
I am the husband. I admit that I had an emotional affair with my ex. She wanted
To get back together and said she was going to re-marry otherwise. I did not care- in fact
It seemed a good idea. My critical mistake was to continue to talk with her about her problems behind my wife's back. Had I just stopped talking with my ex, most of our current problems could have been avoided and been better for my ex as well. At the time I rationalized that we never lived closer than 800 miles. The second "emotional affair" was with a female co-worker I worked with on and off for about 8 years. At times we did discuss our personal relationships but mostly it was about catching up with each other on what others we knew were doing. A few times we ate lunch together in the company cafeteria, but others were eating with us. That relationship ended 10 years ago. I will admit that those in the forum who call me an [censored] and a jerk are right. I am trying to live up to me wife's EPs, but I believe they are excessive considering how long ago these things happened. I do resent having to ask my wife to use my phone and check e-mail. My solution was to try giving me a phone that has no other function. That way I can use the phone without asking permission and she can check on-line to see all calls to and from the phone. That is unacceptable. One iis not supposed to negotiate EPs once established.

T
OP Offline
T
Ok. That was interesting.

Of course, he left out a lot of stuff. The EA's lasted 12 years and 8 years, respectively. He talked to these women about intimate details about OUR marriage. It was not until last night that H admitted that these EAs were affairs. For years, he demanded that I "get over it". No help from him, of course.

I found Dr. H's site a few months ago. And I sought his, and your, help at that time. EPs have been in place for 3-4 months, I think.

I will continue to enforce EPs and ignore his whining. I am taking ADs and anti-anxiety meds. Forgot to take the ADs last night, so had an AO today. I know that is not acceptable. So, I will make sure to take ADs every day. Anti-anxietys are to be taken "as needed". I have no refills, so use them when I feel an AO coming. 😁

One last question, though: Aside from calling H on his flirting, which does not work, how do you suggest I put an end to the flirting?

Last edited by TheSewer; 08/27/13 02:19 PM.
S
S
Thank you, LongWayFromHome.

Yes. He flirts with them in front of me and ignores me in favor of them. So, it's not a stretch to believe he flirts behind my back, as well.

He follows the POJA. But, as I understand it, EPs are non-negotiable. He did SAY he agreed to them when I presented them to him. It is also my understanding that the WS will try to renegotiate, but I must not give in.

He says he is following the PORH when he tells me that he resents them.

Yes, he follows the EPs except for the flirting.

Yikes, this was my WxH. When confronted, he would react similarly to your H.

You can see from my signature line how it ended.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
S
S
If he flirts in front of you, he does NOT follow POJA. If he followed POJA, there would be no need to discuss EPs. He would understand that you don't like him flirting and he would stop it.

Here's what Dr Harley told a poster when she asked him about her H not respecting her request that he not attend co-ed AA meetings:

Hi Kathi,

I don't believe that the POJA is an option for marriage. I believe that it's essential for marriage. Those who do not follow that guideline face a lifetime of misery. That's because if spouses don't make their decisions with each other's feelings in mind, they end up trampling over each other's feelings, the way your husband has trampled over your feelings. If your husband feels that the POJA is something that can be violated occasionally, he'll have another affair, or do something else to ruin your life. His affair may or may not be with someone in his co-ed AA meeting, but will almost be a certainty. If your husband, or anyone else, for that matter, doesn't take extraordinary precautions to avoid an affair, they'll end up having one because they're so common and so tempting. From my perspective, it's that simple. By the way, I've known for years that co-ed AA meetings are notorious breeding gounds for affairs. In fact, they are often the primary cause of the divorce of couples who have just been through treatment.

Best wishes,
Willard F. Harley, Jr.

http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2418611

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
S
S
I wrote to Dr Harley on the private forum about my WxH's flirting and this was something he said that I thought applied to your situation:

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
SusieQ:

We recommend general precautions, such as to avoid having a close female friend, avoid discussing personal issues with another woman, avoid business trips and recreational activities with another woman, etc. But we also look at the conditions that made the affair possible. Whatever your husband was doing that increased the chances of an affair should be eliminated, such as flirting. As to the specifics of what exactly he is to avoid doing, your judgment should be sufficient. Besides, the Policy of Joint Agreement dictates that anything he does around other women that makes you feel uncomfortable should be avoided, even if it seems as if you are being overly sensitive. Quite frankly, you have good reason to be sensitive, and whatever your husband does to relieve your anxiety should be the least he can do.

Best wishes,
Willard F. Harley, Jr.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
D
D
I am going to say this and hope that I'm wrong. I think your husband is actively seeking an affair. That is making him foggy and ignore the pain he has/is inflicting upon you. If this is true the educating him will be fruitless because it is coming from the person trying to ruin his fun, YOU. I think you should email the radio show and offer to be a guest and have your husband on as well. That way you won't have to be a broken record you can have Dr. Harley do that for you lol.

M
M
I am trying to live up to me wife's EPs, but I believe they are excessive considering how long ago these things happened.

That is some very interesting logic. The purpose of extraordinary precautions is to prevent an affair from happening in the FUTURE, it has nothing to do with the past. For example, if I get hit by a car playing chicken in 2003, will I be safe playing chicken in 2013 just because I have not been hit for a few years?

I do resent having to ask my wife to use my phone and check e-mail. My solution was to try giving me a phone that has no other function. That way I can use the phone without asking permission and she can check on-line to see all calls to and from the phone. That is unacceptable. One iis not supposed to negotiate EPs once established.

Why don't you brainstorm solutions with her? Keep in mind the main purpose is to protect her from another affair.

And do you really flirt? That should be a deal breaker. Flirting is a form of courting and is extremely disrespectful to your wife. It is also C.R.E.E.P.Y. puke when a married man flirts. Do you know what most women call you behind your back? DIRTY OLD MAN!!! yuck!! sick Only the most desperate of old broads find that appealing. Please stop doing that to YOURSELF and your wife.

Exposure 101

T
OP Offline
T
ROTFLMAO!!!!

With my H at age 70, yup Dirty Old Man! Thanks for lifting my spirits 😊

T
OP Offline
T
I'm not sure i understand about brainstorming solutions. Aren't EPs nonnegotiable? Anyway, for what it's worth, the original EP was to let me see his emails when he looked at them. This went to Hell in a hand basket. He would go into the kitchen and, with his back to me, look at his emails. After several days of this, and my requesting that he not look at his emails without me, and his disregarding my requests, I took it upon myself to change his PW. Now, he CAN'T check w/o my being right there with him. So, he behaved himself into the present circumstances that he hates. Oh WELL!!

M
M
TS, I removed this post, but will you allow me to email you a question? If so, please hit notify and send the mods your email address and ask them to send it to me. Thanks!

Last edited by MelodyLane; 08/27/13 06:14 PM.

Exposure 101

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 649 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation