Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 25 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 24 25
Pius #2754636 09/12/13 09:04 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by Pius
[ At one point she was very interested in fitness but it has been several years since then and she pretty much gave it up.

What about joining a health club in your new neighborhood and working out together? Or better yet, plan to create a gym in your new home and work out together? Working out together is a GREAT lovebank marriage booster.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

Pius #2754637 09/12/13 09:09 PM
B
B
Expect her to not say anything and so that's why you be prepared.

Examples....
Did you know that Barry White is finally getting his Star?
Did you know CrossFit is the big new work out craze? Maybe we should look into it together?
Did you know it's Friday the 13th???

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

BrainHurts #2754649 09/12/13 09:55 PM
S
S
How about getting a set of those little cards...conversation starters? If you don't have time you can do an internet search and find some great ideas for them. Ice breakers I think they call them.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Everthesame #2754688 09/13/13 06:13 AM
P
Pius Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Rocketqueen
Check out a part of this thread Here

3rd post Down by blind sighted and the following post for some ideas

Thanks - these are actually quite good. Like the "lighthearted questions"...Also the part about "cliche", "facts", "personal", etc...Lots of stuff to pour over there.

DDay - July 25, 2013
DDay #2 - January 27, 2014
DDay #3 - June 29, 2014
BS - Me, 39
WW - Her, 36
5 kids
Married 17 yrs.
BrainHurts #2754689 09/13/13 06:15 AM
P
Pius Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Expect her to not say anything and so that's why you be prepared.

Examples....
Did you know that Barry White is finally getting his Star?
Did you know CrossFit is the big new work out craze? Maybe we should look into it together?
Did you know it's Friday the 13th???

Yes, exactly, which is what I'm desperately trying to do now. The problem is, neither one of us is very into pop culture now. So it would be hard to talk about movies or music or things like that now. However some of the things in the other thread look promising.

Last edited by Pius; 09/13/13 06:16 AM.

DDay - July 25, 2013
DDay #3 - June 29, 2014
BS - Me, 39
WW - Her, 36
5 kids
Married 17 yrs.
MelodyLane #2754691 09/13/13 06:17 AM
P
Pius Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
[ At one point she was very interested in fitness but it has been several years since then and she pretty much gave it up.

What about joining a health club in your new neighborhood and working out together? Or better yet, plan to create a gym in your new home and work out together? Working out together is a GREAT lovebank marriage booster.

I was thinking of this also. We both used to be members of the local gym, and I recently renewed my membership. I've asked her if she would come and work out with me. She hasn't said "no" yet or ruled it out but she kind of equivocated. She is still so withdrawn and paralyzed now it is hard to get her to do anything. However getting her to do something would probably help her advance out of withdrawal, so it's kind of a catch-22.

DDay - July 25, 2013
DDay #3 - June 29, 2014
BS - Me, 39
WW - Her, 36
5 kids
Married 17 yrs.
MelodyLane #2754692 09/13/13 06:27 AM
P
Pius Offline OP
OP Offline
P
[)? If I do though I bet she would just say "nothing" or not answer...argh...I'm really going to have to think about this...This affair has been going on so long - and of course she hasn't talked to me barely at all while it was - that I have completely lost touch with her.

Why don't you tell her some funny stuff that is going on at work? What subjects is she interested in? If I have a customer that is interested in sports, I will pick up one little sports tidbit from the weekend and say something like "how bout them Dallas Cowboys?" And they will just start talking about sports. crazy They have no idea that I know nothing about sports but they think I do!!

And be sure and get a nice haircut, wear cologne and wear a nice shirt and pants. NO TENNIS SHOES!!

Not too much funny is going on at work, unfortunately. And I'm really not sure what she's interested in now. Both of us have just been so obsessed with our relationship disaster that that's all we seem to read about or think about. However I do think some of the "icebreaker" questions found in that other thread and some of the ones I've found on the internet might be fun.

As for tennis shoes, haha, that's all I ever wear! However maybe I'll make an exception this time and try to dress a little nice :-)

DDay - July 25, 2013
DDay #3 - June 29, 2014
BS - Me, 39
WW - Her, 36
5 kids
Married 17 yrs.
Pius #2754696 09/13/13 06:44 AM
M
M
[

As for tennis shoes, haha, that's all I ever wear! However maybe I'll make an exception this time and try to dress a little nice :-)

Don't dress like a dork!!! Wear a nice casual shirt, some jeans and some casual shoes.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2754698 09/13/13 06:55 AM
P
Pius Offline OP
OP Offline
P
[

Don't dress like a dork!!! Wear a nice casual shirt, some jeans and some casual shoes.

LOL but I am a dork :-)

DDay - July 25, 2013
DDay #3 - June 29, 2014
BS - Me, 39
WW - Her, 36
5 kids
Married 17 yrs.
Pius #2754699 09/13/13 07:02 AM
M
M
[

LOL but I am a dork :-)

sigh

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2754704 09/13/13 07:53 AM
M
M
You aren't sure what she's interested in now. So maybe now's a good time to ask her.

I've made this statement to my wife a few times so that she knows I'm open to making things come true for her.

You know hon we sure do get bogged down working our jobs, raising these kids and maintaining the home. If we didn't have all that responsibility and you could do anything you wanted what would that be?

You notice I didn�t exclude myself from the �what would that be�. These statements work well in setting the stage to talk about RC things her and I could do together.

I would definitely take advantage of the gym thing. Just make sure you do it together.

And yes tonight dress up. Look sharp. Smell good. Talk about healthy things like exercise and eating right. Try to eat something healthy tonight.

Me: 57 Her: 54
M: 31 years
Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
MrAlias #2754705 09/13/13 08:10 AM
P
Pius Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by MrAlias
You aren't sure what she's interested in now. So maybe now's a good time to ask her.

I've made this statement to my wife a few times so that she knows I'm open to making things come true for her.

You know hon we sure do get bogged down working our jobs, raising these kids and maintaining the home. If we didn't have all that responsibility and you could do anything you wanted what would that be?

You notice I didn�t exclude myself from the �what would that be�. These statements work well in setting the stage to talk about RC things her and I could do together.

I would definitely take advantage of the gym thing. Just make sure you do it together.

And yes tonight dress up. Look sharp. Smell good. Talk about healthy things like exercise and eating right. Try to eat something healthy tonight.

Good advice. Yes my first thought was to simply come out and ask what she's interested in. However I'm afraid she'll give me a non-answer of some sort. Still worth a try though. I will probably ask that before I go into the other conversation starters that have been suggested by others.

DDay - July 25, 2013
DDay #3 - June 29, 2014
BS - Me, 39
WW - Her, 36
5 kids
Married 17 yrs.
Pius #2754807 09/13/13 05:00 PM
B
B
Have fun and let us know how it goes.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

BrainHurts #2754820 09/13/13 07:18 PM
P
Pius Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Argh, okay well we got back a little while ago. It was pretty disappointing. In the car I asked if she finished SAA, and she said she did. But she was very skeptical about the Policy of Joint Agreement. She said maybe for major things it would work but she didn't see the need to use it for smaller things. She also thought the amount of UA time suggested was just unrealistic, and she wasn't convinced that meeting each others' needs would produce a feeling of love.

When we got there I tried to engage her in the conversation points I prepared earlier, but she just came out and said she didn't want to talk. She was on the verge of tears the whole time. She said "I'm not ready". I also brought up the gym thing - the idea of us going together, and she said she didn't want to do that. I asked if there was any other thing she'd like to do together and she couldn't think of anything. I asked her what her interests were and she wasn't able to tell me. Basically she doesn't want to talk to me, and she doesn't want to do anything. She is depressed and completely withdrawn. However it seems to me that she will talk to other people, just not me. At least I think she will go out with me again next week, even though it was a pretty miserable date. Worse, I started out really upbeat and talkative, but her negativity spread to me and by the time we drove home I was pretty silent and sullen myself.

DDay - July 25, 2013
DDay #3 - June 29, 2014
BS - Me, 39
WW - Her, 36
5 kids
Married 17 yrs.
Pius #2754827 09/13/13 07:40 PM
M
M
It will get better once you move, so hang in there. Are you looking at houses? That can be a great activity. You can go out to lunch and then go house shopping.

Do you think she is still seeing the OM?

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2754828 09/13/13 07:49 PM
P
Pius Offline OP
OP Offline
P
It will get better once you move, so hang in there. Are you looking at houses? That can be a great activity. You can go out to lunch and then go house shopping.

Do you think she is still seeing the OM?

We actually picked a house and put a contract on it contingent on the sale of our current house. We have potential buyers coming out to look on Saturday and Sunday.

I really don't think she is seeing POSOM, though I know not to trust my instincts. She really seems like she is making an effort to embrace Christianity, and the one time POSOM emailed her a week and a half ago, it was not a particularly friendly email and she just responded "Thank you" to it. On the one hand I think she should probably change her email address, but I like being able to monitor it especially knowing that POSOM may use it to contact her again. I want to know about it and exactly what was said if he does.

DDay - July 25, 2013
DDay #3 - June 29, 2014
BS - Me, 39
WW - Her, 36
5 kids
Married 17 yrs.
Pius #2754831 09/13/13 08:04 PM
M
M
Oh boy. Oh boy. None of that is convincing in the least. Especially the part about "embracing Christianity." Even the dumbest wayward knows how to arrange for fake emails to put a snooping BS off her trail. If I am a wayward, I am going to stage emails because that will be the most likely place you will look. That way, you don't look for my secret cell phone and you don't have any idea that loverboy is visiting me during the day.

What is to stop the OM from coming over every day? What is to stop her from going there?

Do you even have a keylogger on her computer? Or any other snooping devices in place? How are you keeping an eye on her?

Exposure 101

Pius #2754837 09/13/13 08:41 PM
M
M
I really don't think she is seeing POSOM, though I know not to trust my instincts.
Good for you. Don't trust your instincts - they are compromised right now.

She really seems like she is making an effort to embrace Christianity,
Why? Is this a requirement of yours?

On the one hand I think she should probably change her email address, but I like being able to monitor it especially knowing that POSOM may use it to contact her again. I want to know about it and exactly what was said if he does.
If you are truly interested in recovering your marriage and moving forward, you shouldn't want to hear from OM AT ALL. You should ABSOLUTELY require her to change her email. You don't want her to get ANY emails from OM - monitored by you, or not. He needs to go away now. Permanently. Cut off his ability to contact her.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

MelodyLane #2754850 09/13/13 09:33 PM
P
Pius Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Oh boy. Oh boy. None of that is convincing in the least. Especially the part about "embracing Christianity." Even the dumbest wayward knows how to arrange for fake emails to put a snooping BS off her trail. If I am a wayward, I am going to stage emails because that will be the most likely place you will look. That way, you don't look for my secret cell phone and you don't have any idea that loverboy is visiting me during the day.

What is to stop the OM from coming over every day? What is to stop her from going there?

Do you even have a keylogger on her computer? Or any other snooping devices in place? How are you keeping an eye on her?

No keylogger yet, but that is not a bad idea. I really don't think the email was staged because she was crying after she read it and she didn't tell me about it. I had to tell her I had seen it. She also deleted it after she read it.

Having said that, maybe maritalbliss is right and she should change her email. As the good Dr. Harley said in SAA, any contact at all by the POSOM sets the clock back to zero, which is the last thing I want. It is hard enough as it is to wait for this horrible withdrawal to pass.

DDay - July 25, 2013
DDay #3 - June 29, 2014
BS - Me, 39
WW - Her, 36
5 kids
Married 17 yrs.
Pius #2754852 09/13/13 09:44 PM
M
M
No keylogger yet, but that is not a bad idea. I really don't think the email was staged because she was crying after she read it and she didn't tell me about it. I had to tell her I had seen it. She also deleted it after she read it.

As long as she knows you are reading it, she can easily delete any email and you wouldn't know. She can also walk right over to his house and vice versa. How would you even know if he came over?

Exposure 101

Page 14 of 25 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 24 25

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 853 guests, and 82 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation