Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
M
You should also read Prisca's thread on "what to do with an angry husband." Her husband is not angry anymore and they have a happy, passionate marriage today. http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/u...flat&Number=2640607&#Post2640607

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
I would also play the radio clip for him so he can hear Dr Harley's suggestion that he get anger management training. If he wants to be a bully about that, he can call and bully Dr Harley instead of his wife and his kids.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
Mae_1 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by NeeraZycantel
Originally Posted by Mae_1
" I've always called you sweet names, touched you and complimented you. You don't reciprocate and Yesterday you called me abusive. I am struggling now. I dont have it in me. I don't want to talk about feelings with you any more because I thought I was doing good. Sure I swear a lot and I called you bitchy but never thought that was abuse. I'm sorry."

Wow that is about the most un-apologetic apology I have heard in a long time, and I ought to know, having given plenty of them. Sure he is frustrated because his efforts didn't seem to make much difference, but his account was apparently very deep in the red. He doesn't have a concept of how bad this hurts you. Have you been able to explain to him that if it feels abusive to you, then it IS abuse?

Thanks for your response. Yes I have explained that before to him. That what matters is how I feel. He has become better at validating my feelings throughout the marriage but still finds that a difficult concept to grasp.

M
Mae_1 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Melody Lane he does care a lot about me and kids but he doesn't "see" solutions to our problems. I also hesitate to be honest with him about how I feel but have been much better about this since coming here. I prefer peace at all costs so he is not really used to me making waves. I will approach him with these three things: love busters, radio clip and anger mgmt and see what he says.

Off to spend some time with him. Thank you for taking the time to help us.

M
M
Melody Lane he does care a lot about me and kids but he doesn't "see" solutions to our problems.

That is great that he does care. He can demonstrate he cares by stopping hurting you and the kids. A man who cares about his wife does not intentionally harm her after she has told him it hurts.

I also hesitate to be honest with him about how I feel but have been much better about this since coming here. I prefer peace at all costs so he is not really used to me making waves.

I sensed that a big part of the problem was conflict avoidance. Can you see that peace at any cost only invites war? Conflict avoidance only serves to kick the can down the road. Nothing ever gets solved. If you will force yourself to take a stand and never tolerate his bully behavior again, I predict he will train himself to stop it.

I will approach him with these three things: love busters, radio clip and anger mgmt and see what he says.

Good girl!! hug

N
N
"Thanks for your response. Yes I have explained that before to him. That what matters is how I feel. He has become better at validating my feelings throughout the marriage but still finds that a difficult concept to grasp. "

Dr Harley says that if he could, he would make spouses feel exactly what the OTHER one feels, when they do something. I think he called it an "empathy pill" or something. I think this concept may be a little harder for men in general to grasp, but overall human nature is to assume that others feel exactly the way we think they do.

Last edited by NeeraZycantel; 11/08/13 12:11 AM.

Me: 46
Wife: 46
Daughter 9
Son 8
M
Mae_1 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Ok he will listen to both my radio clip and the love busters segment if I read it. I also brought up anger mgmt and he is nervous about it but did not say no. Just that it might be hard to find the time. I told him a foundational concept in anger mgmt is that "no one makes you angry" and that he believes that people do, so he could benefit from it. I will research the classes in this area and hope to find a weekend one or something that is not a weekly commitment. It would be easier for him to go one or two times to a longer session as opposed to weekly. I feel empowered. Thank you.

M
M
Good job!! See? You can do this, Mae. The next step is to make a decision to never tolerate his anger. Did you read the link to Prisca's thread? I think that will be very helpful.

Exposure 101

M
Mae_1 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by NeeraZycantel
"Thanks for your response. Yes I have explained that before to him. That what matters is how I feel. He has become better at validating my feelings throughout the marriage but still finds that a difficult concept to grasp. "

Dr Harley says that if he could, he would make spouses feel exactly what the OTHER one feels, when they do something. I think he called it an "empathy pill" or something. I think this concept may be a little harder for men in general to grasp, but overall human nature is to assume that others feel exactly the way we think they do.

Yes I have heard Dr Harley speak about the empathy pill before and so wished it existed!

M
Mae_1 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Melody lane I think I have read that link but I will go back and read it again. I told my husband what you said- that my being sensitive is more reason to treat me with care. That makes a lot of sense to me. Thank-you:)

M
M
I will read him love busters if he lets me. Would be easier first step than requesting anger mgmt. right off the bat.

Mae, let him know you need him to do this. He is not motivated to do so now because you have set the bar very, very low. Communicate to him that you are not going to tolerate angry outbursts any more (either directed at you or at the children), and that this book and the radio show have the information on how to eliminate this.

YES, you need to tell him this, even if you only feel abused "every few years" - when a person has an angry outburst they are completely insane. What they might do cannot be predicted by anybody. Dr. Harley has seen women who have been maimed or crippled by husbands having angry outbursts who had never been physically violent before. It is abuse whether you feel it or not.

The simplest solution is for him to voluntarily go along with this procedure and eliminate his angry outbursts, simply from you telling him you need this and are not going to tolerate it any more. You must try that first, and then if he refuses, then you need to take steps to protect yourself and the children from his anger. We will work on that with you, but first approach him with the problem to see if he will just voluntarily solve it.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Ok he will listen to both my radio clip and the love busters segment if I read it. I also brought up anger mgmt and he is nervous about it but did not say no. Just that it might be hard to find the time.

He has to find the time, though. If he does not find the time, then you are going to have to set up a situation where you don't have any contact with him to protect you from the danger he poses.

Everybody has the same number of hours in the day. He will have to make keeping his family safe a number one priority - that will have to happen even if there is not time for other things.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Sure I swear a lot and I called you bitchy but never thought that was abuse.

Let him know you will never put up with this again as long as you live. He can call it "abuse," or he can call it a baloney sandwich, but whatever he wants to call it, he CAN'T do it to you.

H
H
I'm trying to understand for the sake of Mae and myself. I read this thread from the beginning but I haven't seen very much of the more experienced MB members talking about Mae working on her side of the fence? When Markos had is AO problem, I don't recall Prica's thread to be all about his anger, she had things to work on herself. I had a completely different experience in terms of the direction to take and my wife blow's up at me all the time.

E
E
Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't get pouty and I didn't get mad at him for getting mad as I sometimes do ( working on it). It's a relief to know I don't need to apologize. The more I think of it he was probably at the end of his rope with kids up too late etc. just looking forward to sitting down to relax and his mixed drink gets spilled.probably the straw that broke the camels back.

We are in a unique situation right now living in parents basement while we build a house. He is gone every evening and weekend working on it so I don't feel we can do the one- on-one time that is the foundation of marriage builders so I haven't really broached the program with DH. Just a comment here and there. When he is home ( after kids are in bed)we sit on the couch - him with gaming, me surfing the net. Hmm i guess we do have some time to work with.Fine with this arrangement until lately thinking I need more emotional intimacy with him.

His angry outbursts have lessened over the years.He doesn't get angry at me so much as the kids. If the oldest isn't listening he might use one hand to push her once in the right direction and he yells more than me. I usually call him on these things and let the kids know that it's not ok to yell or push or whatever. Since his little dtr has asked him not to yell he has done much better with AO's. His temper was a main reason I refused to allow spanking as a form of discipline.

His worst AO was last summer after vacation and I still get angry thinking about how vulnerable i felt. He was so irrational. Driving home getting more and more upset with traffic them our oldest barfed and he would not stop to get her cleaned up. I forced the issue and he had a tirade in the gas station parking lot. Throwing car seats on the pavement and yelling. He doesn't remember it really and thought about anger mgmt after. The worst part for me is that while kids were in the bathroom I tried to tell them calmly that daddy's mad but wasnt behaving right and my son ( who himself has a temper) said yes daddy can act like that cause he is mad.He said afterwards he felt much better after to which I responded " well I feel much worse"He did apologize eventually but it's frustrating that he doesn't really know how awful he was.
have you read the chapter in Lovebusters on Anger? It talks about this very thing. How cunning and deceitful anger is. He was actually extremely dangerous to all of you and you really should have called the police. If it happens again... do not hesitate. Throwing car seats and yelling IS considered Assault by police.
So, no, brainhurts he doesnt have a plan currently to address AO's. Maybe I can get him to listen to those radio links. I'm quite sure he doesn't consider it to be a problem right now.

My family loves him and feel we have a really open, honest way of communicating but I have trouble being vulnerable with him. I excused it away as " keeping the mystery alive" but I don't really give myself completely to him. Maybe have put up defenses to keep from wanting too much which would lead to conflict( which I hate).

I will go print out EN form now and see if he can find some time to complete it with me.

Mae... Hi :-) I am also learning a ton about anger right now. The reason you hate conflict so much is the fact that you are married to an angry person.
Again,I think you are downplaying a very dangerous situation you live in everyday. You are in danger Mae. Your kids are in danger.

Grudges are anger.
Silent treatments are anger
Being frustrated is anger.
Putting the health and safety of your kids at risk because you don't want to stop driving followed by an outburst to everyone: I would call that An AO as well.

The question to ask, do you feel punished by it. If the answer is ever yes... Angry Outburst alert.

If he won't listen to the radio show, or becomes reluctant with you reading to him-you are going to have to take drastic measures. That really is the only thing that sometimes gets them to realize what is at stake.

Dr. Harley would say to separate ALWAYS, every single time someone cannot get control of their anger until they can prove that they have taken anger management, and can protect you by never having one again.
I am not joking. As a woman who has been physically hit before, you don't seem to realize how serious your situation is.

If you can just focus on this one issue: His AO. This is the place to draw a line in the sand, face this conflict. Focus on anything else is wondering what color to paint the bathroom on the titanic.

Last edited by Elaina7; 11/08/13 04:59 PM.

BW-3 Kids
Sep:2014
Divorced

"I was not delivered unto this world in defeat, nor does failure course in my veins. I am not a sheep waiting to be prodded by my shepherd. I am a lion and I refuse to talk, to walk, to sleep with the sheep. I will hear not those who weep and complain, for their disease is contagious. Let them join the sheep. The slaughterhouse of failure is not my destiny.
I will persist until I succeed." Og Mandino
E
E
Originally Posted by HonestyLovebust
I'm trying to understand for the sake of Mae and myself. I read this thread from the beginning but I haven't seen very much of the more experienced MB members talking about Mae working on her side of the fence? When Markos had is AO problem, I don't recall Prica's thread to be all about his anger, she had things to work on herself. I had a completely different experience in terms of the direction to take and my wife blow's up at me all the time.

This one is easy. Dr. Harley says that when the health and safety of a woman and her children are at risk of assault or even worse.... that is as far as she needs to go for now. She and her kids are in danger and she doesn't seem to be able to grasp that.
She needs him to make her safe. Step one!

BW-3 Kids
Sep:2014
Divorced

"I was not delivered unto this world in defeat, nor does failure course in my veins. I am not a sheep waiting to be prodded by my shepherd. I am a lion and I refuse to talk, to walk, to sleep with the sheep. I will hear not those who weep and complain, for their disease is contagious. Let them join the sheep. The slaughterhouse of failure is not my destiny.
I will persist until I succeed." Og Mandino
N
N
HL that's why they were here for years before the real changes started. That's why I gave up on my M because the real changes didn't start. You can do this HL, you can turn this ship!

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
M
Mae_1 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by markos
I will read him love busters if he lets me. Would be easier first step than requesting anger mgmt. right off the bat.

Mae, let him know you need him to do this. He is not motivated to do so now because you have set the bar very, very low. Communicate to him that you are not going to tolerate angry outbursts any more (either directed at you or at the children), and that this book and the radio show have the information on how to eliminate this.

YES, you need to tell him this, even if you only feel abused "every few years" - when a person has an angry outburst they are completely insane. What they might do cannot be predicted by anybody. Dr. Harley has seen women who have been maimed or crippled by husbands having angry outbursts who had never been physically violent before. It is abuse whether you feel it or not.

The simplest solution is for him to voluntarily go along with this procedure and eliminate his angry outbursts, simply from you telling him you need this and are not going to tolerate it any more. You must try that first, and then if he refuses, then you need to take steps to protect yourself and the children from his anger. We will work on that with you, but first approach him with the problem to see if he will just voluntarily solve it.

Thanks Markos. Nice hearing your perspective. I will make time tonight to read the book. I also called an anger mgmt psychologist today and left a message. Is there anything I should ask in particular to make sure she teaches good principles?

I am surprised at the seriousness you view my situation but I suppose there is a reason my stomach clenches every time he gets angry. I thought it was just a response learned from childhood. I probably would have trouble viewing it as a problem (because he is better than my dad was) except for the vacation incident. He truly was insane and didn't remember it after.

I had a bit of an epiphany last night. I have stopped (usually) fighting with him so when he sent the abusive text to me I responded firmly but calmly three times to his responses. The thing is - without my anger fuelling the situation his responses sounded insane. Smoke and mirrors. Not sure exactly why that made me feel better but I think it's because I realized that his meanness was not my fault but his own problem.

M
Mae_1 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Elaina7
Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't get pouty and I didn't get mad at him for getting mad as I sometimes do ( working on it). It's a relief to know I don't need to apologize. The more I think of it he was probably at the end of his rope with kids up too late etc. just looking forward to sitting down to relax and his mixed drink gets spilled.probably the straw that broke the camels back.

We are in a unique situation right now living in parents basement while we build a house. He is gone every evening and weekend working on it so I don't feel we can do the one- on-one time that is the foundation of marriage builders so I haven't really broached the program with DH. Just a comment here and there. When he is home ( after kids are in bed)we sit on the couch - him with gaming, me surfing the net. Hmm i guess we do have some time to work with.Fine with this arrangement until lately thinking I need more emotional intimacy with him.

His angry outbursts have lessened over the years.He doesn't get angry at me so much as the kids. If the oldest isn't listening he might use one hand to push her once in the right direction and he yells more than me. I usually call him on these things and let the kids know that it's not ok to yell or push or whatever. Since his little dtr has asked him not to yell he has done much better with AO's. His temper was a main reason I refused to allow spanking as a form of discipline.

His worst AO was last summer after vacation and I still get angry thinking about how vulnerable i felt. He was so irrational. Driving home getting more and more upset with traffic them our oldest barfed and he would not stop to get her cleaned up. I forced the issue and he had a tirade in the gas station parking lot. Throwing car seats on the pavement and yelling. He doesn't remember it really and thought about anger mgmt after. The worst part for me is that while kids were in the bathroom I tried to tell them calmly that daddy's mad but wasnt behaving right and my son ( who himself has a temper) said yes daddy can act like that cause he is mad.He said afterwards he felt much better after to which I responded " well I feel much worse"He did apologize eventually but it's frustrating that he doesn't really know how awful he was.
have you read the chapter in Lovebusters on Anger? It talks about this very thing. How cunning and deceitful anger is. He was actually extremely dangerous to all of you and you really should have called the police. If it happens again... do not hesitate. Throwing car seats and yelling IS considered Assault by police.
So, no, brainhurts he doesnt have a plan currently to address AO's. Maybe I can get him to listen to those radio links. I'm quite sure he doesn't consider it to be a problem right now.

My family loves him and feel we have a really open, honest way of communicating but I have trouble being vulnerable with him. I excused it away as " keeping the mystery alive" but I don't really give myself completely to him. Maybe have put up defenses to keep from wanting too much which would lead to conflict( which I hate).

I will go print out EN form now and see if he can find some time to complete it with me.

Mae... Hi :-) I am also learning a ton about anger right now. The reason you hate conflict so much is the fact that you are married to an angry person.
Again,I think you are downplaying a very dangerous situation you live in everyday. You are in danger Mae. Your kids are in danger.

Grudges are anger.
Silent treatments are anger
Being frustrated is anger.
Putting the health and safety of your kids at risk because you don't want to stop driving followed by an outburst to everyone: I would call that An AO as well.

The question to ask, do you feel punished by it. If the answer is ever yes... Angry Outburst alert.

If he won't listen to the radio show, or becomes reluctant with you reading to him-you are going to have to take drastic measures. That really is the only thing that sometimes gets them to realize what is at stake.

Dr. Harley would say to separate ALWAYS, every single time someone cannot get control of their anger until they can prove that they have taken anger management, and can protect you by never having one again.
I am not joking. As a woman who has been physically hit before, you don't seem to realize how serious your situation is.

If you can just focus on this one issue: His AO. This is the place to draw a line in the sand, face this conflict. Focus on anything else is wondering what color to paint the bathroom on the titanic.

Thanks Elaina. I often have felt "punished" by him in his silent treatment. He has gotten so much better in the past two years but it is time to deal with it. Your posts help me realize the seriousness of the situation. I want the stomach clenching to end. He barrelled down the stars the other day because a kid was misbehaving only to talk to the child very calmly but the violent action of pounding down those stairs set us all on edge. Like I said I blame the response on my own upbringing but its good to get a perspective from all of you that his anger is the problem. Not my response.

M
M
Originally Posted by HonestyLovebust
I'm trying to understand for the sake of Mae and myself. I read this thread from the beginning but I haven't seen very much of the more experienced MB members talking about Mae working on her side of the fence?

Yes, because the first problem that has to be solved are his angry outbursts.

Exposure 101

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 649 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation