Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
J
Originally Posted by ak1
Originally Posted by Zhamila
only ONE was good at all of them. (He broke my heart, btw) crybaby

Did I miss this story or did you not tell it?

HA! It's over on the Online Dating thread. I called him "Dream Dude." But as Dr. Harley says, "There aren't tons of great male candidates, and even fewer are willing to be involved with a woman who already has children." Bingo. Way to go, marriage-failure-lady!

He looms largely in my mythic mind now...almost like Paul Bunyan! So I wander on...lonely, hopeless, bereft...sigh

(I'm being dramatic now)

"When you love someone, all your saved up wishes start coming out."
Elizabeth Bowen

(Changed my profile name, as it was appearing in Google searches. Yikes!)
J
J
Originally Posted by geroldmodel
A lot of feedback to think about, thank you all!

Way to go, Gerold! Open the sex talk, and everybody jumps on it!

.....NOT AN INNUENDO.....

"When you love someone, all your saved up wishes start coming out."
Elizabeth Bowen

(Changed my profile name, as it was appearing in Google searches. Yikes!)
M
M
Originally Posted by HomeSweetHome
It is so funny that you bring up this freeloader mentality. I am realizing that some guys go into a relationship with a women really strong, and this leaves the impression in the woman that she is meeting his needs, and the relationship is taking off, only to find out he really is a freeloader.

I had this recently. What was good about this situation was I spotted redflag a couple times, so I pressed for more time. Why wouldn't someone who seemed interested not want to give me his time? In all reality, he was a freeloader...he didn't want and had no desire to give me his time. In all reality he had no desire to ever meet my needs. I really don't know what he wanted from me...it was a confusing situation for a while. I finally got some clarity, but mostly I just have a great big lesson learned.

Better I learned this freeloader mentality now before I really do commit to the wrong kind of guy.

Great story, HSH! Can you please clarify what you mean by "time?" Do you mean, slow down the pace of the relationship, or spend more time together? Sorry...I'm a dolt today.

think

I wanted to spend more time with him. Sometimes in hindsight you can see the situation clearer. It is often best to move from one relationship to the other with care and caution.

I am naturally a buyer. I think I just have wife in me.

I
I
Originally Posted by Prisca
Narcissism, Machiavellian-ism, Psychopathy are common traits for a man that most women would find attractive, at least initially.
Dr. Harley completely disagrees with this.

Most women are not attracted to these things. These "bad boys" are very likely meeting some of the woman's important emotional needs. And women tend to put up with abusive behavior or lovebusting if their needs are being met -- women typically leave men for neglect, not abuse/lovebusters.

I agree, it's feelings-based. People who follow feelings only think short term instead of long term.

Some women date bad boys because they are offer so many cheap ENs right up front. Lots of insincere, cheap admiration, affection and compliments. Or flashing cash.

Some men date promiscuous women because similarly they get their top ENs in the cheapest, fastest way.

Just like fast food, it's not a good long term diet. The fake admiration from the bad boys won't last. Obviously premature sexual desire from women is clearly fake and doesn't last.

My boyfriend said so many other women he met on line were offering sex before he had even met them. Other women marvel at these stories, because it is clearly so unrealistic and unbelievable.

Many women also puzzle over why intelligent conversation and being slow and cautious doesn't get the same results as women who are 'up for it'. Actually the results they get are better, they just aren't as fast.

Originally Posted by FightTheFight
...and to the OP question: if dating men were great at meeting a woman's ENs, they'd have no problem getting a 2nd date, getting her to fall in love, and ultimately getting her to LONG FOR LOTS OF SEX! (after marriage, which offers women the security they really need to have great sex anyway).

But a man must be attractive to a women to get that first date before he even has a chance to start meeting ENs. Which is confusing for a man because what gets him the second date is almost entirely different from what gets him the second or third date.

Not really. We are all freeloaders on first dates. By the second or third we think more like renters.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

I
I
A However, I am having serious doubts EVERY human is able to reach these heights emotionally and/or physically.
And this is my concern exactly.

My first partner was unable to get there. while SF was fulfilling, it was a hard-to-earn price.
I did not have this problem again with two other partners later in life...
Negotiation was enthousiastic & effortlessly because these partners had SF on their EN list aswell.

Of course it's not impossible to get good SF in an uncommitted, renter's situation. It's just less likely to happen for a lot of women and less likely to provide permanent desire which grows stronger over time. This could have been the case with your first partner.

In the situations where you had good SF in renters relationship one of two things were happening. 1)Higher LB balances. You were meeting more of the woman's needs, less lovebusting and more time together or 2)She was performing it for short term effect to get her needs met back in a trading 'renters' agreement.

I am simply cautioning you to avoid making pre-exisiting desire a requirement because you need to find someone who specifically responds to you and your needs meeting.

They should also be genuine and not trying to impress every guy right off the starting block with the cheapest trick in the book.

I don't think two people who both have a high SF need necessarily make a good match anyway. Anyone can provide us with sex, if sex in general (rather than a unique attraction) is all we want. I know of a couple who did nothing with their time together except have sex because they both had a very high SF need. It got boring. They soon realised they were strangers, could be doing this with anybody and broke up.

You tend to need at least one person whose top needs are other things in order to keep the relationship romantic.

Dr Harley says if you are both passionately in love and meet his compatibilty requirements (energy etc) then you have nothing to fear.

M
M
Originally Posted by indiegirl
A However, I am having serious doubts EVERY human is able to reach these heights emotionally and/or physically.
And this is my concern exactly.

My first partner was unable to get there. while SF was fulfilling, it was a hard-to-earn price.
I did not have this problem again with two other partners later in life...
Negotiation was enthousiastic & effortlessly because these partners had SF on their EN list aswell.

Of course it's not impossible to get good SF in an uncommitted, renter's situation. It's just less likely to happen for a lot of women and less likely to provide permanent desire which grows stronger over time. This could have been the case with your first partner.

In the situations where you had good SF in renters relationship one of two things were happening. 1)Higher LB balances. You were meeting more of the woman's needs, less lovebusting and more time together or 2)She was performing it for short term effect to get her needs met back in a trading 'renters' agreement.

I am simply cautioning you to avoid making pre-exisiting desire a requirement because you need to find someone who specifically responds to you and your needs meeting.

They should also be genuine and not trying to impress every guy right off the starting block with the cheapest trick in the book.

I don't think two people who both have a high SF need necessarily make a good match anyway. Anyone can provide us with sex, if sex in general (rather than a unique attraction) is all we want. I know of a couple who did nothing with their time together except have sex because they both had a very high SF need. It got boring. They soon realised they were strangers, could be doing this with anybody and broke up.

You tend to need at least one person whose top needs are other things in order to keep the relationship romantic.

Dr Harley says if you are both passionately in love and meet his compatibilty requirements (energy etc) then you have nothing to fear.

I love your brilliance Indie...you never cease to amaze me by your insight into the logic. You should be an engineer smile

Renters: Fake It
Buyers: gets you the real deal

Which do you want?

F
F
...and to the OP question: if dating men were great at meeting a woman's ENs, they'd have no problem getting a 2nd date, getting her to fall in love, and ultimately getting her to LONG FOR LOTS OF SEX! (after marriage, which offers women the security they really need to have great sex anyway).
But a man must be attractive to a women to get that first date before he even has a chance to start meeting ENs. Which is confusing for a man because what gets him the second date is almost entirely different from what gets him the second or third date.

Would you please elaborate on this, FF?

I find men attractive who can meet the top 5 female ENs, and are marginally physically appealing to me. Among the 22 men I've dated in the past 6 months, only ONE was good at all of them. (He broke my heart, btw) crybaby

But perhaps I've missed your point, so would you mind to clarify? Thanks, Z

My point is that on average, PA is a top need for a man, so just knowing what a woman looks like tells him right away whether she is going to be able to meet one of his top needs or not. For women, on average, PA is much further down the list. Women tend to place things like Affection and IC high on their lists. It's much harder to know whether someone is going to be able to meet that need without trying them out first.

Men and women both don't pick dating partners at random. It seems to me they tend pick someone they are attracted to for reasons other than EN meeting with the idea that the other person has the potential to meet their "real" needs. Especially with online dating. How else can you explain so many that never progress beyond the first or second date?

As for the question on this thread. A lot of the responses from women seem to be along the lines of "Don't worry about the SF need meeting. It's guaranteed so long as her needs are being met." And in theory that is true. But do understand from a mans prospective, he is being asked to commit to a lifetime of exclusive need meeting in this area with someone who has not yet demonstrated an ability to meet said need. This is not true for any of the other ENs, and when you place it at the top of your list, it feels like a pretty big risk to say "Ah don't worry about it".

Can you imagine a woman with IC at the top of her list marrying a man who up till now has not met that need, but promises it won't be a problem after they are married? I know you're going to say it's not the same thing, but it sure feels like that to a lot of guys, and probably even more so to a man who was married previously and did not get that need met.

I don't really disagree with anything said in this thread in principle, and in fact I found it pretty enlightening to hear the prospectives of the women who responded. I take what they have to say at face value and Dr Harley backs up what they are saying. I think I can use that understanding in my marriage.

Me (42)
Her (43) - feuillecouleur

DS(11)
DD(7)

Married: June 24, 2000

Recovered
I
I
As for the question on this thread. A lot of the responses from women seem to be along the lines of "Don't worry about the SF need meeting. It's guaranteed so long as her needs are being met." .

No, Dr Harley also says you should ensure before marriage you pass the five most important compatibility tests. Energy is the likeliest thing to affect frequency of sex. Needs meeting takes care of the desire. RH should rule out any medical conditions.

But do understand from a mans prospective, he is being asked to commit to a lifetime of exclusive need meeting in this area with someone who has not yet demonstrated an ability to meet said need. .

There are other ways to demonstrate it though. Talking about it, for one thing. A man would also very likely notice a difference between a woman who was sexual, but waiting and one who thought of him as a brother who gave nice hugs. Think about it - it would be perfectly obvious.

Can you imagine a woman with IC at the top of her list marrying a man who up till now has not met that need, but promises it won't be a problem after they are married?

But IC is REQUIRED for the creation of love. Not just for women, but men too. You see it on the SAA forum every single day. Men who have fallen in love because they talked intimately with a co-worker. Dr Harley says: "We fall in love by talking, not with sex".

Conversation isn't inappropriate pre-marriage either. I talk to lots of people as a single woman. I don't sleep with them all!

A better male/female parallel to draw is the Financial Support need. That's a high need for women which is inappropriate pre-marriage. Like a woman who is sexual, but waiting, a man should demonstrate that he will provide financially for a woman - without actually doing it.

The woman who can provide good SF and the man who can provide good FS are equals in this case. Pre-marriage it benefits them both to wait and be certain before giving it all away.

Last edited by indiegirl; 11/15/13 11:23 AM.

I
I
To sum up, I DO think a woman should display a willingness to meet the SF need.

But HAVING sex is probably one of the easiest ways to fake a desire that isn't there.

It's quite easy to spot a woman in desire. Desire shows up before sex.

So obvious in fact, that having sex is just a distraction method used by women who aren't actually feeling it. They are obviously NOT in desire and need to cover that fact up.

M
M
FTF ... I think you should read up on Radical Honesty some. It is so vital to making everything stick.

I am a very very SF kind of gal. So much so I am studying books, doing yoga, researching something called tantric ... the whole nine yards. Any man I date will know this is a huge part of me (he can look at my bookshelves for one), and he will know this will be part of my marriage.

I have always stated I refuse to share my best stuff with someone who isn't going to stick around. In my opinion ... SF is uncharted territory between two people who can map out and find treasures in various ways. In my opinion this will only happen when I am SAFE to explore.

I would caution any man who takes the stance try it out before I buy kind of mentality. No matter how you spin it that is a renter mentality. A buyer is in it to adapt, change, make necessary adjustments.

I can promise you a woman will respond to this, and if she doesn't then you don't have a buyer, she will be renter at best.

ETA: Stop selling women short here. It is a myth that women are not into SF.

Women have given themselves the "easy" wrap as well. Which has been unfair to men because you really are missing out on some great SF. Indie described it perfectly. Men have been gaslighted into thinking they are good in bed, when in all reality the gal was likely faking.

This can be fixed, and honesty can rule the bedroom again! Y'all have the tools and knowledge to look for the gal who will likely not really enjoy you. This should help prevent future heartache and pain.

Last edited by HomeSweetHome; 11/15/13 12:17 PM.
F
F
Fascinating stuff. Thanks for the responses ladies!

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
I
I
Originally Posted by HomeSweetHome
I am a very very SF kind of gal. So much so I am studying books, doing yoga, researching something called tantric ... the whole nine yards. Any man I date will know this is a huge part of me (he can look at my bookshelves for one), and he will know this will be part of my marriage.

ETA: Stop selling women short here. It is a myth that women are not into SF.

I'm in complete agreement with HSH. SF is in my top 3 but a 'try before you buy' offer would leave me cold.

I went to an all girls party recently where I made the acquaintance of what I call 'third daters'. They would find it unimaginable to go longer than 3 dates without putting out. They were lecturing a more junior member on the importance of doing a sex act she didn't enjoy. They were all utterly joyless and I'd bet my savings not one has ever felt real pleasure.

I was actually the one in my marriage going without because my H had a low drive. Why? Low energy and low needs meeting. I was concerned about finding a better sexual match but Dr H is right - if you have the same energy and are passionately in love the very air will sizzle. You will just know.

Last edited by indiegirl; 11/15/13 01:55 PM.

I
I
Fascinating stuff. Thanks for the responses ladies!

You're very welcome!

Last edited by indiegirl; 11/15/13 01:57 PM.

M
M
Dr. Harley's Compatability Criterion

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi5068b_qa.html

Originally Posted by Choosing the Right One to Marry...Letter #2
While we are on the subject of compatibility, however, there are five criterion that I recommend to those who are looking for a marriage partner. The reason I have picked these five, which are usually not found in most tests of compatibility, is that incompatibility in any of these areas make the Policy of Joint Agreement particularly difficult to implement. As a psychologist, I save marriages by showing spouses how to change their behavior to create a fulfilling marriage. But the categories that I will share with you now are traits that even trained psychologists have great difficulty trying to change. And so when you date, look for compatibility in these areas.

1. Intelligence. You and he should be roughly equivalent in intelligence, within about 15 IQ points. Without having to take an IQ test, you can usually figure that out by comparing grades in school, although men are notorious underachievers in high school. College grades are a better measure of intelligence for both men and women. The quality of your conversation is another good indicator of compatible intelligence. Men who are stimulating to talk to are usually in your league intellectually. But if there is a large gap between you in IQ, both of you will tend to be bored by your conversation. The one with the highest IQ will find the conversation to be superficial, and the one with the lowest IQ won't be able to keep up. There is also a tendency of someone with a higher IQ to disrespect the judgments of the one with the lower IQ, and that's an absolute relationship killer. Respect is essential in marriage regardless of the quality of an opinion. If you both enjoy talking to each other for hours at a time, and you respect each other's ideas, you pass the test.

2. Energy. You should marry someone roughly equivalent to you in energy. If one of you lays around watching TV while the other scurries about and can't sit still, it's probably a bad match. The reason energy is an important determiner of compatibility is that so many of your lifestyle pre-dispositions will depend on your energy. Leisure time activities and sexual interest are particularly sensitive to the amount of energy you have. People high in energy enjoy activities that burn that energy, even after work, while those with low energy levels would find such activities to be exhausting. And regarding sex, the more energy a person has, the more sex he or she tends to need. Since leisure activities and sex are two of the best ways to deposit love units after marriage, incompatibility in these areas can make it very difficult for a couple to stay in love.

3. Social Interest. If one of you is socially outgoing and the other is an introvert, that difference can make the planning of social activities very difficult. The Policy of Joint Agreement dictates that you don't do anything unless you can both agree, and in marriages of extroverts to introverts, their area of mutual social comfort is very narrow. The extrovert will not be able to get to know as many people as he or she would like because the introvert hates meeting new people. And the introvert will be constantly challenged to tread into the terrifying waters of introductions. Yet, I am very much opposed to spouses going their separate ways after marriage (one goes to a party and the other stays home), so the social interest difference require very creative solutions to keep them together yet make their social lives happy for both of them.

4. Cultural Background. Culture determines a host of personal sensitivities. Take Christmas, for example. In the American culture, Christmas is usually a big deal for most people. But imagine growing up in a family where every year Christmas was celebrated with zeal, only to discover after marriage that you cannot celebrate Christmas at all. The Policy of Joint Agreement dictates that you don't do anything unless you can both enthusiastically agree and because the person you married comes from a family that finds Christmas offensive, you do not celebrate it. Even if your spouse were to give you permission to celebrate Christmas, his background will still make such a celebration very uncomfortable to him. From my perspective, The Policy of Joint Agreement would rule Christmas out until a way is found to celebrate it with mutual enthusiasm.

Cultural background does not only dictate sensitivities, but it also dictates certain skills in meeting emotional needs. In some cultures, outward displays of affection are discouraged, and yet you may need that from the person you married. To meet your emotional need, he must not only go against his cultural training, but he must learn to do something that he was never taught.

Sometimes when two people are in love, they feel they can overcome cultural barriers. But that's usually because their relationship has been rather brief. They have not yet had to wrestle with some of the conflicts that culture imposes on them. I counseled one couple who had fallen in love, yet one could only speak Spanish and the other could only speak English. Granted they could eventually learn each other's language, but with that would come a host of cultural differences that might be much more difficult to overcome. Time eventually proved to both of them that their relationship was not meant to be.

5. Values. Moral values usually dictate how we behave. The Policy of Joint Agreement and the Policy of Radical Honesty are moral values that I encourage all married couples to adopt because they create and sustain love. But even when these two important values are agreed to at the time of marriage, conflicts with other moral values can make the creation of a compatible lifestyle very difficult to achieve. Getting back to our Christmas example, it's a cultural difference that makes a spouse unskilled in knowing how to celebrate Christmas. But if you marry an Orthodox Jew, it's more than skill that will be a problem. He will probably be deeply offended by such a celebration. And that offense comes from his moral convictions, not just his cultural background. A discussion of values is always a good idea when on a date, because if you find your values to be very divergent, it will make it difficult for you to agree on a lifestyle that you enthusiastically share.

A question often asked in a compatibility test is "Would you be willing to give up your religion to please your spouse?" It's not really a fair question, because it usually doesn't come to that drastic measure. But the point is important, and I would rephrase the question a little differently. I would ask, "Do you have any beliefs that would prevent you from following the Policy of Joint Agreement?" That is actually more to the point. Is there some belief that is so important to you that you would be willing to let your spouse suffer rather that give it up? If so, you should be certain that your spouse shares the same belief.

The point in all of this is that wide differences in any of these five characteristics of people make it difficult, but not impossible, to create a compatible lifestyle. When dating, if you try to follow the Policy of Joint Agreement (never do anything without an enthusiastic agreement), you will be able to pick up on areas of incompatibility immediately. And if you find yourself fighting a difference in one of these characteristics, it's reasonable to come to the conclusion that it's not worth the effort to try to resolve it. That's when you break up and start in all over again with someone else.

F
F
Originally Posted by indiegirl
Its like these writers have never heard of having sex for fun. They probably never have.

Ok, one more inquiry. (This needs to be its own thread in a different section I think. Lots of good info here)

What do you mean by this statement? I thought having sex for the fun of it was more a male characteristic?

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
A
ak1 Offline
A
I think what our female MB friends are saying is that they really enjoy sex and desire it, but only after the right environment is in place. Specifically all of their needs met in a secure and committed relationship.

Those that aren't in that right environment are having sex out of duty to attract a man and thus don't really know anything about how much fun it can be.

Anyway, I also want to thank the women that contributed, this has been a very educational thread. Even though I knew these things in principle (following MB material and other reading I've done), it really hit home in a new way to hear it in a more dynamic and interactive way.

ak

F
F
I guess where I was confused is that these women who have sex on the second or third date are obviously aroused when the time comes. You can fake orgasms, but you can't fake arousal. (Granted, it's been a long time since I was in the dating game and I was much younger).

Last edited by FightTheFight; 11/15/13 07:43 PM.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
M
M
Yes you can fake arousal ... a woman who wants to manipulate a man into a relationship can morph into anything she wants. It's all fake, nothing but a lie, it's the oldest trick in the book... nothing about it is real. It's just an audition of complacency.

Unfortunately that is the norm .... you'll probably find majority of women will pretend for as long as necessary to secure that man. If competition is tough ... she knows what to do. Just like a guy spending thousands on women before marriage. I have some friendships like that .. These guys drop thousands just to secure a beautiful woman on their arm.

Remember settling for your short term gains will cost you in the long run. If you want a long marriage with all the SF you desire then make sure IC, RC, admiration, and affection are priorities (20+ hours weekly) and the relationship is free of Lovebusters. Thats it ... that's all that needs to be done to have wild and crazy and fun and exciting SF...!

Otherwise you really are setting yourself up for a relationship that won't be what you want or desire.

Last edited by HomeSweetHome; 11/15/13 08:20 PM.
B
B
Originally Posted by ak1
Specifically all of their needs met in a secure and committed relationship.

I am not sure that is the case these days. I know plenty of single women who are fine/happy/enjoy having sex in uncommitted relationships...depends on what a woman wants in her life. And these are women that aren't going to lie/fake their arousal or performance. If a guy doesn't do it for them, they are fine moving on too. Maybe that is traditionally more 'male' but it happens and I don't think it is in the minority either. Where a women is in life probably plays a big factor in this too IMO.

My two cents

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
M
M
I think that depends on where the woman is at BR ... woman who do not have the means to support themselves can't risk the consequences that comes from having a variety of partners.

I don't buy it either ... that a woman can remain emotionally unscathed by sleeping around. Maybe some woman can keep their emotions independent from the sex but ultimately I believe a woman will want more out of her partner.

I just dont believe a woman is being fully honest because it is human nature to want our needs met. Woman are wired for affection and IC, not just sex.

ETA ... I wouldn't want this example for my girls either.

Last edited by HomeSweetHome; 11/15/13 08:49 PM.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 425 guests, and 58 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation