Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
catwhit Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Originally Posted by catwhit
[

Food for thought, ML. Because I DON'T feel like we are recovering well. Taffy says he thinks we are doing fine, but I suspect that is because he feels fine himself. He says he is back in love w/ me again. Wish I could say the same....and he is frustrated it isn't happening for me yet...

The program doesn't work without the POUA. If he were in love, I seriously doubt he would be this resistant to the UA time. He sure doesn't hit me as a guy who is in love. He views it as a "sacrifice" because he enjoys almost everything more than being with you.

Again, I am sorry to be so forthright, but you are such a dear person, catwhit, and I hate to see you needlessly struggle. If you will strictly follow this program for a period of time, your husband will be ANXIOUS about spending time with you. He will not view it a sacrifice, but as something he can't get enough of.

Actually, I [/i] appreciate[i] the forthright-ness, ML. I am not here to be a lily-dipper.

Had the chat today with Taffy about complaints vs. criticism. I think he gets the concept... And also that I welcome his complaints, too...

And yes, I also suspect he is really not really in love with me. But he say he is, and I don't want to DJ him about that. Maybe he forgets the overwhelming feeling of being n love, or doesn't think it is achievable in our many-years-married state.

Dr. Harley says I should phrase my complaints, " if you were in love with me, I would expect you to behave like this... (Specific behaviour). I need to be better at this conversation.

Me: BW, 57 fWH: 63 (Taffy1) Serial cheater
Presently on the Recovery Road, in the Online program.
B
B
HappyBirthday catwit!!!

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

C
catwhit Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
HappyBirthday catwit!!!

Thanks, Brainy. I had a lovely day...

C
catwhit Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Taffy and I are heading off on a 2-week holiday to Colombia. This will be the first holiday since D-Days 1, where we will have time to completely focus on each other. No colleagues, no family, no friends. No business, no household tasks, no community commitments.

I am hoping that the resulting UA time will vault Taffy's account in my LB$ over the romantic love threshold. He has expressed quite a bit of frustration that it is taking this long (14 months past D-Day 2 at present.) Should make it MUCH easier for us to get in our UA time once we're home, too.

To that end, I asked Dr. Harley on the private forum, about how much UA time was reasonable to schedule for this holiday. His answer was illuminating, as usual. I will try to post it here, if I can figure out how to do that.

B
B
I didn't know this was your show or I would've posted it sooner.

Radio Clip of catwit and Taffy's Show
Segment #2
Segment #3
Segment #4

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

C
catwhit Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks, Brainy. You are a gem.

B
B
Thanks, Brainy. You are a gem.
Thanks and you're welcome, my friend. smile

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

C
catwhit Offline OP
OP Offline
C
A while back there was a post that listed great topics for Intimate Conversation. I can't locate it now, and I would like to use it for Taffy and me. Does anyone recall it, or have a link to it?

Thanks!!

E
E
I know what post you are talking about but I couldn't find it. I'll look again because I'm pretty sure I referred someone to it awhile ago! Lol

B
B
here is one that LWFH originally posted. I know that there are others, but I can't locate either.
Originally Posted by LongWayFromHome
Sometimes H and I need a little jump start in our conversation. These questions are part of a noncompetitive game we used to play with children just to get some talk going. The game came with very serious questions and religious questions as well, but they are in storage, so we only have these light-hearted ones, which work perfectly for what we want.

We have them printed out and pull it out every so often. We find a question and then we each answer it.

What do you like to daydream about?
When you are alone and no one can see you or hear you, what do you like to do?
Say something about TV.
Finish the sentence: "The best thing about today is�."
If you could change your age, what age would you rather be?
If you could live anyplace in the world, where would it be?
Tell about a time when you felt proud of yourself.
Where would you like to go on vacation if you could go anyplace in the world?
What do you like to do in your spare time?
Tell about a funny experience.
What is something you can do well?
If you had to move and could take only three things with you, what would you take?
What is your favorite song?
What kind of TV commercial would you like to make?
What kind of trophy would you like to win?
Talk about "goose bumps."
How do you look when you get angry?
What does America mean to you?
If you were a doctor, what ailment would you like to cure?
Name two famous people you would like to have for parents.
What TV or movie star would you like to invite to your birthday party?
Say something about policemen.
Share three things for which you are thankful.
Talk about one of your bad habits.
Describe your best friend.
If someone could give you anything in the world for your birthday, what would you like it to be?
What kind of people are the luckiest people in the world?
What do you like to do when you are alone?
What is your favorite party game?
What color do you think of when you think of happiness?
What kind of job do you want to have in 20 years?
What kind of store would you like to own and operate?
If you could take only 3 people with you on a trip around the world, whom would you take?
What would you do if you wanted to be a friend to someone who could not speak English?
Say something about love.
What would you like to do to become famous?
How would you change the world to make it better if you had enough power?
Say something about ghosts.
Talk about birthdays.
If you became president of the United States, what two things would you do?
If you could have been someone in history, whom would you have been?
Describe a good neighbor.
If someone were to write a book about you, what do you think they would call it?
If you received $5000 as a gift, how would you spend it?
Describe a good sport.
Say something about jokes.
Describe the ideal father.
If you could become invisible, where would you like to go?
What would you do if you had a "magic wand?"
If you were lost in the woods and it got dark, what would you do?
What really turns you off?
What is your favorite sport and why do you like it?
What would you do if you found $1000 in a vacant lot?
In what ways do you act like a child?
How would you describe yourself to someone who does not know you?
What part of a big parade would you like to be?
What is one of your hobbies?
What is your favorite room in your house? Why?
Describe the ideal mother.
What is your favorite food?
Talk about a time when you were very irritated.
Tell about something beautiful.
Tell what makes a happy family.

DDays - six months of them
THANK YOU God and Marriage Builders.
We never knew that it could be this good! smile
C
catwhit Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks, RQ and BlindSighted!

K
K
How was your vacation to Colombia? Did it kickstart your love banks as you had hoped?

C
catwhit Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi Kerala;

Had a GREAT vacation. Fun and flirtatious. And, I even had a glimmer of a romantic feeling for Taffy at one point.

Then we got home, and a few things went sideways. A week after getting home, we were heading to California for 10 days for Christmas with friends. Literally the minute before we got into the car, Taffy's back spasmed, and he spent the full 10 days in pain, then on prescription pain killers...

We got home from that, spent another week catching up at home, and then Taffy went into hospital for surgery. For the past two weeks, he's been home in bed, high on narcotics. So, UA time went to ZERO. Down went the love banks...

Now I have accompanied him to Denver for a 10-day business trip. This always feels like a sacrifice for me, because I have SO MUCH to get done at home, not in a hotel room.

We have scheduled 20 hours UA for this week. This will be a challenge to maintain, because we have some very good friends here who will want us to spend a lot of time with them (after Taffy's long work hours.) They don't really understand about the UA time, and are already pouting that we don't spend as much time with them as we used to. They know about the A's, but think I should have "gotten over it" by now. So, another test...

I would say our time together is "pleasant". Not wonderful, not that much fun. But pleasant. I think it is hard for Taffy to commit to even 15 hours of UA time, when it is just "pleasant". (He'd really rather be wrenching on his motos in the shop.) And then I feel guilty, griping about my cushy life.

But, I am hoping more UA time will fill the bill...Now if it could just be really FUN...

C
catwhit Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Update:

Wednesday will be two years since D-Day 1. Taffy and I are away from home at a conference for him. He is taking the day off on Wednesday, (his birthday), to spend it with me.

I am still stunned to see that when he told me this, I had no recollection that it was D-Day anniversary. None. Not even when he said he was wanting to just take care of me that day. Two years ago, I NEVER would have thought that I would be free from triggering so early. Of course, this is not to say I have forgotten about the A. But it no longer runs my life.

My message to others in recovery: The pain will recede, IF you follow the MB plan to the letter. No fudging, no shortcuts, no "but our situation is different..." s...

We are working our way through the online program, which we started 11.5 months ago. So recovery is not complete. I am not over the romantic love threshold yet, and it is a challenge for Taffy to be patient with me about this. But I say the program is the best chance we have for a wonderful, loving marriage.

It will get better.

Last edited by catwhit; 03/17/14 12:51 PM.

B
B
hurray Thanks for sharing, friend.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

C
catwhit Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Always good to hear from you, Brainy....

B
B
I am still stunned to see that when he told me this, I had no recollection that it was D-Day anniversary. None. Not even when he said he was wanting to just take care of me that day. Two years ago, I NEVER would have thought that I would be free from triggering so early. Of course, this is not to say I have forgotten about the A. But it no longer runs my life.
Wonderful to read this catwhit! It's an inspiration to read that life will someday return to a place where the A doesn't define us. I thank you for sharing your success with us. CONGRATS to you and Taffy!!

DDays - six months of them
THANK YOU God and Marriage Builders.
We never knew that it could be this good! smile
E
E
Hi Cat! I'm at 2 years past NC myself and also find that the pain is receding, (though I had one doozy of a nightmare last night!) Triggers are easier to deal with and some dates are not as important anymore.

Glad to hear that you two are moving forward. smile

As far as your romantic love threshold, do you think that you are in a self-protection mode and have put up an emotional wall? I wonder about this for myself and have thought of writing Dr Harley about it.

C
catwhit Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Rocketqueen
Hi Cat! I'm at 2 years past NC myself and also find that the pain is receding, (though I had one doozy of a nightmare last night!) Triggers are easier to deal with and some dates are not as important anymore.

Glad to hear that you two are moving forward. smile

As far as your romantic love threshold, do you think that you are in a self-protection mode and have put up an emotional wall? I wonder about this for myself and have thought of writing Dr Harley about it.

Hi RQ!

I also wondered about the possibility of self-protection. It seemed strange to me that I really had not progressed over the threshold even once in nearly 2 years.

But then, our actual NC day is just over a year ago now (the Dolly would try to contact Taffy every few months.)

And, because we had a 5-month FR, which REALLY eroded my trust of Taffy's new behaviours once he was out of the fog, I gave myself permission to take a little longer in the healing process.

I emailed Dr. Harley several months back, and he said to keep working on the $LB$ deposits and we would eventually get there. (The thread is under the heading "Desperate to Connect" on the private forum.)

In truth, we took a long time in working on eliminating LB's in the online program. It was necessary as we had some long-ingrained bad habits (DJ's for me, IB for Taffy.) However, now we are on the EN-meeting lessons, so I have faith that is the necessary ingredient for me. My task is to keep giving Taffy guidance to meeting my EN's while continuing to meet his.

I'm so pleased that you are finding the pain lessening. (Except for that nightmare... ouch!)
Hopefully, your new location and Kiss's new job will also remove some of the triggers.

C
catwhit Offline OP
OP Offline
C
RQ: Good section on today's radio show (March 18) with a wife who is not yet over the romantic love threshold...

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 623 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation