Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 56 of 67 1 2 54 55 56 57 58 66 67
markos #2805878 06/06/14 10:53 PM
P
P
Your reaction is discouraging honesty on her part, btw. She told you that contact had been broken, and instead of being grateful that she is taking steps to prevent it from ever happening again, you are judging her feelings. It is a very painful thing to be told you are not feeling the right way. If something like this ever happens again, she may be tempted to not be so honest.

Stop judging her. If she were curled up on the floor writhing in pain over it, it would not make you feel any better. If she were sobbing and begging, it would not make you feel any better long term. Actions are what will make you feel better, and she has taken those. Now is the time to stop dwelling on the pain of the recent offence and to start healing.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

M
M
Originally Posted by FightTheFight
Originally Posted by markos
Now I feel bad about what I was thinking. I'll bet FC feels terrible. frown

Come home with flowers. Tell her you love her and are glad she is your wife. Give her a specific reason or two why.

Already plan on it. smile

What two specific reasons did you give her? This was a suggestion to make admiration love bank deposits.

Remember - you don't feel like admiring her right now. But feelings follow actions, and if you will make these deposits, her feelings will come around, and then her actions will come around and she will make deposits, and your feelings will come around.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
markos #2805888 06/07/14 07:00 AM
F
OP Offline
F
Now I feel bad about what I was thinking. I'll bet FC feels terrible. frown

Come home with flowers. Tell her you love her and are glad she is your wife. Give her a specific reason or two why.

Already plan on it. smile

What two specific reasons did you give her? This was a suggestion to make admiration love bank deposits.

Remember - you don't feel like admiring her right now. But feelings follow actions, and if you will make these deposits, her feelings will come around, and then her actions will come around and she will make deposits, and your feelings will come around.

I told her she was pretty and a good mother to our children.

Me (42)
Her (43) - feuillecouleur

DS(11)
DD(7)

Married: June 24, 2000

Recovered
M
M

Good - I was worried you left that out. How are things today?

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
markos #2805930 06/07/14 02:39 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Today, we are just not talking about it. I apologized this morning.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
P
P
That's good. Don't discuss it again.
What are you doing to make love bank deposits?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

Prisca #2805945 06/07/14 10:31 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by Prisca
That's good. Don't discuss it again.
What are you doing to make love bank deposits?

Do you mean all of the time or just tonight? Tonight we went to a food festival uptown. It was a good time. I made sure to grab her hand and hold it as we were walking around. That's on her affection list.

We just had a good time walking around and talking about nothing and people watching.

When we got back home, my mother had locked us out of the house by accident, which caused FC to get irritated and then she went to change our sleeping daughters diaper and woke her up. So that means she has to lay with her until she goes to sleep. I offered to do it instead, but she wouldn't let me.

Last edited by FightTheFight; 06/07/14 10:36 PM.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
M
M
Sounds like a good start putting things back together again. Look for ways to make massive deposits tomorrow.

Back in 2010 I made a series of posts on this site at extremely odd hours while sitting up with a baby in my lap who wouldn't go back to sleep. smile Here's hoping neither one of you are up that late tonight.

C
C

FTF, you might learn more about the kind of admiring comments FC likes. I prefer really specific comments from Taffy.

For example, instead of "You're pretty" I'd like "Wow, you're eyes are really blue today."
Instead of "You're a good Mom", I'd like "Hon, you did a great job in planning DS's birthday event."

By being really specific, less general, in his admiration, Taffy is showing that he is really paying attention to me on an ongoing basis. And the comments seem more genuine. And he is training himself to really NOTICE me, and appreciate the little things. Which creates more admiration of me...

Which makes me feel more cherished...

Me: BW, 57 fWH: 63 (Taffy1) Serial cheater
Presently on the Recovery Road, in the Online program.
catwhit #2806120 06/09/14 08:47 AM
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by catwhit
FTF, you might learn more about the kind of admiring comments FC likes. I prefer really specific comments from Taffy.

For example, instead of "You're pretty" I'd like "Wow, you're eyes are really blue today."
Instead of "You're a good Mom", I'd like "Hon, you did a great job in planning DS's birthday event."

By being really specific, less general, in his admiration, Taffy is showing that he is really paying attention to me on an ongoing basis. And the comments seem more genuine. And he is training himself to really NOTICE me, and appreciate the little things. Which creates more admiration of me...

Which makes me feel more cherished...

That's a good suggestion and easy to do. Thanks.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
F
OP Offline
F
Things have settled down quite a bit now. We just haven't talked about the subject again. FC has been moving forward with the changes still though and asked me last night how to change her number.

We were going along pretty good and this just all blew up so fast. Talk about stepping into a minefield!

Last edited by FightTheFight; 06/09/14 08:53 AM.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
P
P
Those can be deadly to recovery if not handled with care.
Glad to hear things are settling down. Keep making deposits and avoiding love busters. And keep in mind this has set your recovery back a bit. It's going to take a little while to regain the ground you have lost.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

M
M
Things have settled down quite a bit now. We just haven't talked about the subject again. FC has been moving forward with the changes still though and asked me last night how to change her number.

That is all good to hear. She's addressing your complaint, and the fight has stopped = there's a lot of reason to be optimistc for the future.

markos #2806162 06/09/14 12:34 PM
F
OP Offline
F
After talking with our coach today I think we have hit on something. I make my W mad at me. I'm not sure how often, but she describes it as little things that she "brushes aside". I think if I can get her pointing these out to me every time it happens instead of "letting it go" I'll have a chance at bringing the walls down.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
P
P
Yes, she needs to complain more!

You need to be very careful how you respond when she does. If there is even a hint of irritation or judgement, she will shut down.

Markos and I have set it up where I can send him a complaint through email. Some couples use a notebook. I word it simply: "It bothered me when you ..." The only response he sends back is something along the lines of: "Thank you for letting me know." He may suggest what he will do differently (if needed), but what he DOESN'T do is debate it, or defend himself, or make a judgemental comment about how I feel.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

Prisca #2806335 06/10/14 08:08 AM
F
OP Offline
F
This morning at about 4AM I awoke to my W crying in the bed next to me. I said "What's wrong?" and went to hug her and she pulled away and jumped out of the bed and left the room. I waited a few minutes and went to find her. I asked her if she was OK and if she wanted to talk about what was bothering her and she said she just wanted to be alone, so I left and went back to bed. Later, when I woke up, I asked her if she was OK and she said she was fine now.

Do I just forget about it?

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
M
M
I wouldn't forget about it, but I would be very careful to avoid pressuring her or making her feel like you are demanding a response.

If it were me, I think I would write a note or a letter (probably an email in our marriage, but I'm not sure if you guys do stuff more electronically or on paper) something like this:

"Darling,

I love you more than anything in the world. I saw you crying last night, and I am worried that I am causing you unhappiness. I would love to know what was making you so upset. If it is something that I am doing or not doing, I want to know so that I can avoid causing you unhappiness. And if it is something that I am not the cause, I would still greatly appreciate the chance to be your partner in facing it and hopefully overcoming it.

You deserve the best in life, and I want to spend the rest of our lives making each other happy. I love you because you do so much for me, and if I can support you in whatever you are facing it would mean the world to me.

Love,
FtF"

M
M
This morning at about 4AM I awoke to my W crying in the bed next to me. I said "What's wrong?" and went to hug her and she pulled away and jumped out of the bed and left the room. I waited a few minutes and went to find her. I asked her if she was OK and if she wanted to talk about what was bothering her and she said she just wanted to be alone, so I left and went back to bed. Later, when I woke up, I asked her if she was OK and she said she was fine now.

Do I just forget about it?
I wouldn't.

The last time my wife did anything like that to me was when she was starting her affair. Something is up. You need to figure out what it is.

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
DS - 38, autistic, lives at home
DD - 37, married and on her own
DS - 32, still living with us
mrEureka #2806359 06/10/14 11:10 AM
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by mrEureka
I wouldn't.

The last time my wife did anything like that to me was when she was starting her affair. Something is up.

Me too, which is partly why it freaks me out so much. But I don't think that's what it is this time. If I had to guess, I would say it has something to do with not having friends she goes out with or maybe not having a job to go to.

I'll try the email and see what happens. Probably a better idea than verbal.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
markos #2806360 06/10/14 11:12 AM
M
M
Now, she might come back and say she is unhappy because she needs to go back to teaching, etc. - in which case I would answer by going back to how you will feel better about that after she is in love with you again. (That is what Dr. Harley said on your radio show if I remember right.)

But it might be something else entirely. It might be something you did or said yesterday that she felt was disrespectful. Solicit these complaints, and act on them promptly.

It might be that she is upset about your housing situation or other circumstances in life. I would be thinking about what things she might be unhappy about and what things could change or be sped up to get to a happier lifestyle for her sooner.

It might be that in the end, she is feeling lonely - not enough conversation, not enough admiration, not enough affection.

Page 56 of 67 1 2 54 55 56 57 58 66 67

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 369 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation