Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 59 of 67 1 2 57 58 59 60 61 66 67
markos #2813306 08/05/14 10:56 AM
M
M
You've probably already seen this article, but it might have some thoughts that you find helpful for this situation:

Should the Policy of Joint Agreement Be Violated When Trying to Meet Your Spouse's Emotional Needs?

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
markos #2813307 08/05/14 10:56 AM
P
P
And get to your doctor and talk to him about antidepressants.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

markos #2813324 08/05/14 12:23 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by markos
What I usually wanted to do was pitch a fit and demand reciprocation from Prisca. Of course we know that goes over like a lead balloon. All it does is make the problem worse.

But I'm not doing that. As far as I know you had some pretty serious issues to overcome namely an anger problem. I don't have that problem. In fact, I can't really think of anything for my wife to complain about that I either do or do not do? Can you?

And of course, once Prisca was finally on board and reciprocating, my enthusiasm for lots of things went way up.

I'd say that was a pretty big piece of the puzzle.

Me (42)
Her (43) - feuillecouleur

DS(11)
DD(7)

Married: June 24, 2000

Recovered
M
M
Originally Posted by FightTheFight
What I usually wanted to do was pitch a fit and demand reciprocation from Prisca. Of course we know that goes over like a lead balloon. All it does is make the problem worse.

But I'm not doing that. As far as I know you had some pretty serious issues to overcome namely an anger problem. I don't have that problem. In fact, I can't really think of anything for my wife to complain about that I either do or do not do? Can you?

I didn't say you were. But there were more steps to do than just not have an angry outburst:

I did find that I had to stop some activities - sometimes I would discover that I wasn't so enthusiastic about something I was doing as I thought I would be, and it was causing resentment. It became very important for me to avoid doing things that would cause resentment, or doing things in circumstances that would cause resentment. Ultimately I had to make sure that the things I was doing to make love bank deposits were sustainable. I had to learn to bring my Giver into play in ways that did not upset my Taker. I had to adjust over time and replace sacrificial activities with caring activities that did not cause me to feel resentful. And of course, once Prisca was finally on board and reciprocating, my enthusiasm for lots of things went way up.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
P
P
In fact, I can't really think of anything for my wife to complain about that I either do or do not do? Can you?
You have had trouble with disrespect, as well as coming across as demanding.

Your wife seems to have a high need for Admiration. Given that, disrespect is about the worst thing you could do to her.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

Prisca #2813328 08/05/14 12:29 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by Prisca
In fact, I can't really think of anything for my wife to complain about that I either do or do not do? Can you?

Your wife seems to have a high need for Admiration. Given that, disrespect is about the worst thing you could do to her.

But I've addressed those complaints and overcome that long ago.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
M
M

This is an area where I would recommend continuing to be over-vigilant. A wife in withdrawal will not let you know when you are coming across as disrespectful or demanding, or she may feel that her emotional reaction to something you say is a failing on her part and not mention it to you.

P
P

Is she supposed to get over it on your time scale?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

markos #2813331 08/05/14 12:34 PM
F
OP Offline
F
I do understand where you are coming from but I'm just telling you that if anybody is over-vigilant it's me.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
P
P
I'm sorry to hear that, FtF. My understanding was that you guys had finally been able to move out and get into a situation where Dr. Harley thought you could rebuild your relationship. I thought that was a great reason for optimism.

There is always one more thing. I don't plan on leaving any time soon. But I'm not going to be the one to constantly study ways to make her happier any more. It's been over a week since we were supposed to start the SF lesson. Not a peep. It's been two weeks now since she last posted on the forum.

This post can come across as very demanding and disrespectful. I would feel pressured and put down if I were your wife and read this.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

Prisca #2813333 08/05/14 12:35 PM
P
P
Will you visit your doctor?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

Prisca #2813334 08/05/14 12:36 PM
F
OP Offline
F

Get over what? Do you have any evidence that she is harboring resentments from something I have done to her or not done for her? Maybe she is, but she isn't saying anything about it.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
P
P

Get over what? Do you have any evidence that she is harboring resentments from something I have done to her or not done for her? Maybe she is, but she isn't saying anything about it.

Your disrespect and demands.

Last edited by Prisca; 08/05/14 12:43 PM.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

Prisca #2813336 08/05/14 12:43 PM
F
OP Offline
F
I'm sorry to hear that, FtF. My understanding was that you guys had finally been able to move out and get into a situation where Dr. Harley thought you could rebuild your relationship. I thought that was a great reason for optimism.

There is always one more thing. I don't plan on leaving any time soon. But I'm not going to be the one to constantly study ways to make her happier any more. It's been over a week since we were supposed to start the SF lesson. Not a peep. It's been two weeks now since she last posted on the forum.

This post can come across as very demanding and disrespectful. I would feel pressured and put down if I were your wife and read this.

Really? I don't see that I demanded anything at all. It's just a statement and there was surely no punishment explicit or implied because I didn't ask for anything in the first place.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
P
P

Really? I don't see that I demanded anything at all. It's just a statement and there was surely no punishment explicit or implied because I didn't ask for anything in the first place.

She has not started the SF lesson, she has not posted in 2 weeks, so you are therefore not going to study how to make her happy anymore. You are going to give up.

Sounds like punishment to me.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

Prisca #2813338 08/05/14 12:49 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Your disrespect and demands.

Do you have any evidence that she is harboring resentments from something I have done to her or not done for her? Maybe she is, but she isn't saying anything about it.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
P
P
Do you have any evidence that she is harboring resentments from something I have done to her or not done for her? Maybe she is, but she isn't saying anything about it.
Evidence:
1. You have been disrespectful and demanding
2. You continue to be
3. Your wife has a high need for Admiration, making these things more devastating than they would be to the average person.
4. Your wife is reluctant to have sex due to a sexual aversion

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

Prisca #2813342 08/05/14 12:57 PM
F
OP Offline
F
She has not started the SF lesson, she has not posted in 2 weeks, so you are therefore not going to study how to make her happy anymore. You are going to give up.

I can see how it could be interpreted that way.

Sounds like punishment to me.

I don't agree that me dropping the whole thing would feel like punishment to my wife.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
Prisca #2813343 08/05/14 12:59 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Evidence:
1. You have been disrespectful and demanding
2. You continue to be
3. Your wife has a high need for Admiration, making these things more devastating than they would be to the average person.
4. Your wife is reluctant to have sex due to a sexual aversion

1. My wife does not have a sexual aversion.

2. I disagree that I am disrespectful and demanding to my wife and that I continue to be.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
P
P
I don't agree that me dropping the whole thing would feel like punishment to my wife.
Another DJ. You don't know what she feels or thinks.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

Page 59 of 67 1 2 57 58 59 60 61 66 67

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 827 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation