Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 60 of 67 1 2 58 59 60 61 62 66 67
Prisca #2813345 08/05/14 01:03 PM
P
P
1. My wife does not have a sexual aversion.
The last I read from Dr. Harley, she did. Has she gone through the steps and overcome that, then?

Regardless, she still feels anxiety over the subject as evidenced by her posts a few weeks ago.

2. I disagree that I am disrespectful and demanding to my wife and that I continue to be.
You cannot be the judge of that.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

Prisca #2813346 08/05/14 01:11 PM
P
P
Why not get antidepressants a try? What have you got to lose?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

Prisca #2813348 08/05/14 01:12 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by Prisca
1. My wife does not have a sexual aversion.
The last I read from Dr. Harley, she did. Has she gone through the steps and overcome that, then?

1. Since then, he has said she does not have a true aversion.
2. No, she never followed through with it.

Regardless, she still feels anxiety over the subject as evidenced by her posts a few weeks ago.

She certainly feels anxiety over the issue.

2. I disagree that I am disrespectful and demanding to my wife and that I continue to be.
You cannot be the judge of that.

I'm not. My wife reports no demands or disrespect. Ask her.

Last edited by FightTheFight; 08/05/14 01:12 PM.

Me (42)
Her (43) - feuillecouleur

DS(11)
DD(7)

Married: June 24, 2000

Recovered
Prisca #2813350 08/05/14 01:15 PM
F
OP Offline
F

I am. I told FC last night that I was going to make an appointment and get prescribed an antidepressant. She said "It will be interesting to see how it works".

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
Prisca #2813351 08/05/14 01:15 PM
M
M

She posted here about her anxiety, then vanished. I imagine she is still dealing with that anxiety.

Before making any conclusions about whether she is or isn't going to do the SF lesson, I would definitely want to know if Kim (or Sandy?) has talked to her about it. They are the ones who are supposed to be working to motivate her through it and hold her accountable.

I know it feels hopeless right now, but if you can hold out until your coach is available again and get her to reach out to your wife, you have no idea what might result.

In the meantime, I would definitely eliminate any acts of care you are doing that cause you to feel resentful. These can be replaced with sustainable acts of care that are not sacrificial and do not cause you to feel resentful. I learned that along the path of recovery I had to weather several down times and I developed a repertoire of acts of care that did not feel resentful that I could perform any time, so I was always making love bank deposits without building resentment. I had to or we would not have made it.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Originally Posted by FightTheFight

I am. I told FC last night that I was going to make an appointment and get prescribed an antidepressant. She said "It will be interesting to see how it works".

That's a very good step to be taking.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
P
P
You cannot rely on her to report it. Women like her are very tight lipped about such things. Which is why I am pointing it out to you. What you are doing here today is demanding and disrespectful.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

P
P

That is very good to hear.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

Prisca #2813357 08/05/14 01:20 PM
M
M
You cannot rely on her to report it. Women like her are very tight lipped about such things. Which is why I am pointing it out to you. What you are doing here today is demanding and disrespectful.

I can guarantee you that when I went through this kind of thing with Prisca and took the stance you are taking, she felt I was being demanding, disrespectful, and punishing her.

And while I think Dr. Harley would not classify "not doing something" or "stopping something" as a love buster, he also always encouraged me to take Prisca's feelings about this seriously - when I would post to him he never validated my viewpoint that I wasn't being demanding, even though I might have technically been right. (It was very frustrating! smile )

markos #2813371 08/05/14 01:57 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Well, I still think you are trying to make this into something it isn't. FC isn't siting around saying "If my husband would stop love busting me I might feel more like meeting his needs."

The fact is she says just the opposite. "He is doing everything right, I just don't want to."

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
markos #2813647 08/06/14 09:15 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by markos
In the meantime, I would definitely eliminate any acts of care you are doing that cause you to feel resentful. These can be replaced with sustainable acts of care that are not sacrificial and do not cause you to feel resentful. I learned that along the path of recovery I had to weather several down times and I developed a repertoire of acts of care that did not feel resentful that I could perform any time, so I was always making love bank deposits without building resentment. I had to or we would not have made it.

I did take this advice and we came to an agreement about it. It worked out very well. Now when I do this thing, it is appreciated more because it is not my responsibility. Thank you for the suggestion.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
M
M
I'm glad to hear that. There comes a point in recovery where you have to move from short term sacrifice to long term sustainability. You can only go all out for so long. It is important to recognize when you are setting yourself up for resentment - because resentment will ultimately end your marriage.

markos #2813784 08/07/14 02:53 PM
F
OP Offline
F
I apologize to Prisca and Markos for being argumentative earlier this week. I was really in the dumper. It's like I'm going along and then fall into a hole sometimes. I do appreciate the help.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
B
B
I apologize to Prisca and Markos for being argumentative earlier this week. I was really in the dumper. It's like I'm going along and then fall into a hole sometimes. I do appreciate the help.
Glad you're back with us, friend.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

P
P
No problem, ftf. We've been there.

Were you able to get to your doctor?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

M
M

Dear friend FtF, I have been exactly where you were, and I recognized a lot of what you were saying from my own experiences! We are really pulling for you guys and praying for you as well.

I had a discussion with Kim in 2010 that in places was probably close to word for word what you were said above!

Last edited by markos; 08/07/14 02:59 PM.

M
M
At the end of 2012 I had a near complete breakdown that also sounded a lot like what you said above. In particular I focused to the point of obsession about some points from one of our lessons that Prisca had never acted on. I was ready, and I was hurting!

As low as I felt then, it's amazing that in 2013 we finally turned things around for good. Best year of our marriage, ever, and 2014 has been building on that.

Good times are ahead for you guys. Stay the course.

markos #2813795 08/07/14 03:10 PM
C
C
What about AD's, FtF?

Me: BW, 57 fWH: 63 (Taffy1) Serial cheater
Presently on the Recovery Road, in the Online program.
Prisca #2813801 08/07/14 03:42 PM
F
OP Offline
F
No problem, ftf. We've been there.

Were you able to get to your doctor?

Originally Posted by catwhit
What about AD's, FtF?

I've requested an appointment.

Last edited by FightTheFight; 08/07/14 03:43 PM.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
F
OP Offline
F
I've posted this to Dr Harley as well but though I would put it here for advice.

My wife does not like Dr Harley's suggestion at all that she must restore a romantic relationship with me before returning to work. It makes her angry.

The fact that she is not working and has to stay home with the kids all day is her only complaint. She wants us to have more income so that we can buy and do more things that require money. It's a two part issue. She is bored, does not like being home, and wants the money that a job would provide. In her estimation, there is no other job she could do that would earn enough money to offset the costs of daycare other than going back to teaching.

Her response to Dr Harley's advice is to say to me "So if I have sex with you three times a week, you'll let me get a job?" It's hostile.

I feel like I am stuck in the middle and can't win. On one hand, I have an expert telling me that this is the way it should be done or I am at high risk for another affair, and on the other hand, I have my wife telling me she is unhappy with that course of action and implying that it's the main problem.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
Page 60 of 67 1 2 58 59 60 61 62 66 67

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 827 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation