Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 34 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 33 34
MarieMab #2816188 08/21/14 09:44 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by MarieMab
I wrote a letter months ago long before I read SAA. I have been exposed. Anyone have anything for recovery??????

This is a piece of advice I often offer:
Start at the beginning of your thread and re-read each post. As you read, keep a to-do list of the suggestions that are offered to you and a second list of the questions that are asked of you. When you get done, work through the lists.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
MarieMab #2816189 08/21/14 09:53 PM
J
J
I have another question... If this site is supposed to help cheaters as well how is that accomplished if the cheater is just constantly slammed?

Recovery can be accomplished by following Dr. Harley's program.

markos #2816191 08/21/14 10:00 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by markos
I wrote a letter months ago long before I read SAA. I have been exposed. Anyone have anything for recovery??????

Start at the beginning of your thread and re-read each post. As you read, keep a to-do list of the suggestions that are offered to you and a second list of the questions that are asked of you. When you get done, work through the lists.

Next, some essential reading material:

How do Affairs Begin?

Anatomy of Adultery

chapter 13 of His Needs, Her Needs

And a video that is essential viewing from someone who can actually help you:
Infidelity: What Every Couple Should Know

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
markos #2816192 08/21/14 10:01 PM
M
M

Next, some essential reading material:

How do Affairs Begin?

Anatomy of Adultery

chapter 13 of His Needs, Her Needs

And a video that is essential viewing from someone who can actually help you:
Infidelity: What Every Couple Should Know

After that, the Basic Concepts:

Dr. Harley's Basic Concepts

When signing up for the board, everybody indicates that they have read the Basic Concepts. Did you?

Last edited by markos; 08/21/14 10:01 PM.

markos #2816194 08/21/14 10:02 PM
M
M
More essential reading: Dr. Harley's Q&A columns on infidelity:

steps to recovering from infidelity

MarieMab #2816195 08/21/14 10:05 PM
M
M
Anyone have anything for recovery??????

There, a ton of recovery resources have now been provided to you since this post. In addition to the recovery resources that were provided to you before this post. (I'd go back and pick those up, too.)

Also, don't overlook the free Marriage Builders Radio show. More than any other resource, this saved my marriage:

http://www.marriagebuilders.com//graphic/mbi4200_radio.html

Send Dr. Harley and his wife an email and they will answer it on the show. Going on the show is basically a free session with Dr. Harley and I highly recommend it. (Been on there twice myself.)

markos #2816199 08/21/14 10:13 PM
M
OP Offline
M
I did. I found the book extremely helpful. The problem is i read it two months after the exposure. We were already working to restore the marriage. My husband spent about 5 hours on one of the forums and decided to post the cheaterville bit. I was crushed. I know I deserved it and perhaps if it was during the exposure I would have expected it but months after it seemed like revenge. Anyway it doesn't matter I am confident that if we use christ's example we will be better than before....

MarieMab #2816201 08/21/14 10:17 PM
M
M
I did. I found the book extremely helpful. The problem is i read it two months after the exposure. We were already working to restore the marriage. My husband spent about 5 hours on one of the forums and decided to post the cheaterville bit. I was crushed. I know I deserved it and perhaps if it was during the exposure I would have expected it but months after it seemed like revenge. Anyway it doesn't matter I am confident that if we use christ's example we will be better than before....

Are you interested in using the resources offered here to help your recovery?

MarieMab #2816202 08/21/14 10:20 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks Markos you have been very helpful. I will read anything that was not in the book.

B
B
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Dr Harley discussed such exposure websites on his radio show and here is a thread discussing that show: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2782074&page=1

It was a great show! laugh
Did you listen to these clips from Dr. Harley?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

M
OP Offline
M
Not yet I have spent too much time on this forum but I will over the next few days.

MarieMab #2816205 08/21/14 10:24 PM
M
M
Here's a crucial resource:

The friends and enemies of good converstaion

Enemies of good conversation:
* Making demands - using conversation to get your way
* Being disrespectful - using conversation to force agreement to your way of thinking
* Expressing anger - using conversation to punish each other
* Dwelling on mistakes of the past or present

Can you see how these enemies of good conversation make a conversation unenjoyable for one or both spouses? In particular the rule against dwelling on mistakes of the past or present is one of Dr. Harley's major recommendations for marital recovery. Many a recovery has been sabotaged as a betrayed spouse continually brings up an affair over and over again, sometimes for years. Dr. Harley's recommendation is to provide all information about the affair and then to NEVER TALK ABOUT IT AGAIN (assuming of course that all information was in fact honestly given).

Can you see how agreeing to follow this rule with your husband would be beneficial for your recovery, and would benefit you, personally? I'm sure you do not want him to remind you of this - the biggest mistake of your life, and the most hurtful ever to him and your daughter - over and over again for the rest of your life. In return, of course, you would have to agree to stop dwelling on what you consider to be his mistake of further exposing your affair.

MarieMab #2816206 08/21/14 10:25 PM
M
M
Not yet I have spent too much time on this forum but I will over the next few days.

The radio show is hands down the best Marriage Builders resource. You could not possibly do better than to jumpstart your recovery by writing in to the show, and to start listening daily. It's like a marriage class, five days a week.

MarieMab #2816207 08/21/14 10:25 PM
M
M

I'm glad to see you answering questions. smile

MarieMab #2816208 08/21/14 10:27 PM
B
B
Good and if there are any that you would like me to dig up just let me know. Hearing things from Dr. Harley really helps to understand things clearly.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

MarieMab #2816210 08/21/14 10:30 PM
U
U
I have another question... If this site is supposed to help cheaters as well how is that accomplished if the cheater is just constantly slammed?

Good Marie you are still being sucked in! No I mean that, we are happy to have you still with us.

When you are in an affair, you enter into a sort of 'fog' as has been referenced by some posts on your thread. It is a fog of you trying to deceive your own mind into rationalizing your own behavior. Your mind in the fog will of course fight any course of action or advice that does not serve that goal, such as exposure, or advice that it was YOUR CHOICE to have an affair and that you are no victim.

Nobody is slamming you, the Marie that is a beautiful and strong woman of faith, and I'm sure a devoted and loving wife and mother. But we are ALL trying to get through to you, the Marie that is in the fog of entitlement and self centered cake eating. Because without lifting the fog, how will the real Marie emerge?

markos #2816211 08/21/14 10:31 PM
M
OP Offline
M
You are quite right Markos or Dr. Harley is....I was having a difficult time because i was holding on to bitterness of the past. I am trying my best to move forward. I won't bring up the cheaterville thing again.

MarieMab #2816212 08/21/14 10:31 PM
M
M
Thanks Markos you have been very helpful. I will read anything that was not in the book.

There's 29 articles in the Q&A section on infidelity that I linked:

Steps to Recover from Infidelity

On the radio show Dr. Harley is constantly commenting on situations that aren't directly addressed in the books.

Prisca #2816213 08/21/14 10:32 PM
M
M
Very important questions to answer and steps to take. These are straight out of Surviving an Affair. (Prisca is my wife, btw.)

Originally Posted by Prisca
Which of the following has been done? What is left to do?

Checklist for How Affairs Should End

_____The unfaithful spouse should reveal information about the affair to the betrayed spouse.

_____The unfaithful spouse should make a commitment to the betrayed spouse to never see or talk to the lover OP again.

_____The unfaithful spouse should write a letter to the lover OP ending the relationship and send it with the approval of the betrayed spouse.

_____The unfaithful spouse should take extraordinary precautions to guarantee total separation from the lover OP:

_____Block potential communication with the lover OP (change e-mail address and home and cell phone numbers, and close all social networking accounts; have voice messages and mail monitored by the betrayed spouse).

_____Account for time (betrayed spouse and wayward spouse give each other a twenty-four-hour daily schedule with locations and telephone numbers).

_____Account for money (betrayed spouse and wayward spouse give each other a complete account of all money spent).

_____Spend leisure time together.

_____Change jobs and relocate if necessary.

_____Avoid overnight separation.

_____Allow technical accountability.

_____ Expose affair to family members, clergy, and/or friends.

markos #2816214 08/21/14 10:34 PM
M
M
By the way, the radio show repeats every hour, so you can listen to each day's show at any time. It repeats hourly until the next day's show. That's 23 replays for most shows, and 72 hours worth of replays of Friday's show through the weekend. Plenty of time to tune in and your convenience and sit in marriage class with Dr. Harley.

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi4200_radio.html

Page 6 of 34 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 33 34

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,116 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation