Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
S
susiew Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Jedi_Knight
Susie,

I doubt the affair is over.
He told you earlier that it was, then you find him with the OW later.
Getting caught doesnt mean that it's over.

Have you read the book Surviving an Affair that you have?

The affair is over because SHE ended it. She sent him a txt msg and also to me and her husband. Telling him that she was done, to respect her decision to end the affair and not contact her again. YES, I read the book. I also know that while the affair was a big part of the downfall of this marriage, OTHER things need to change. You guys don't have a clue the things I have done, unknowingly but no less hurtful that have caused this situation to spiral the way it has. He has done hurtful things too, aside of the affair but I cannot change or control how he deals with this all. I can change and control what I do. I am getting myself healed, he can decide if he wants to join me when he is ready. THEN we can talk about EP's and POJA and Love busters and meeting emotional needs. If he never decides to join me, well, at least I know I can live with myself because as it is right now, I have not liked myself in years anyway, I have not been happy. I can't give to anyone else what I don't have, so I will learn to forgive myself, love myself and be happy with myself. I will pray that he chooses to do the same for himself and that we can meet somewhere in between and recover from it all.

susiew #2822981 10/11/14 04:03 PM
J
J
Susie,

The OW husband probably was standing over her shoulder as she sent the text message.
That is why Extraordinary Precautions are needed.

You should still ask him to write the NC letter that was posted to you earlier and mail it.

You will need to move out of the area if you want to recover your marriage.

I caution against your approach of "working on yourself." What you need to do is follow the program in Surviving an Affair and spend 20 hours a week together.

Can you do that?

S
susiew Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Susie,

The OW husband probably was standing over her shoulder as she sent the text message.
That is why Extraordinary Precautions are needed.

You should still ask him to write the NC letter that was posted to you earlier and mail it.

You will need to move out of the area if you want to recover your marriage.

I caution against your approach of "working on yourself." What you need to do is follow the program in Surviving an Affair and spend 20 hours a week together.

Can you do that?

I can't tell you whether he was or not but what difference would it make if I stood over my husband's shoulder and made him write that letter, if he doesn't really mean it or want to write it? The OW and husband are working on moving (her husband told me, he has put in a request at work). She has since changed cellphone number. She is giving him an account of her time and the money spent. She is ready to work on her marriage, they are taking the EP's. What other proof do I need from her?

Jedi, I cannot do what you are advising because it takes 2 and he is not there yet. My approach to force things has not worked in my favor, he has met me with resistance every step. What I can do is work on my issues that I know I have, not for him, not for this marriage but for myself. I need to find my peace to be able to give that peace. When/if he chooses to join me, then I can ask he writes the NC letter and take all the other EP's, and work on spending those 20hrs together, not a minute before. That is why I finally have moved to Plan B, we were not seeing eye to eye. I am giving him space. He did not ask for it, I told him to go. I needed my space.

The affair has to end by one of them putting a stop, she did. The rest of the plan takes HIM to be receptive and agree to work on recovery until he can WILLINGLY meet me there it is useless to try to force it. I am not giving up on my marriage, just yet, though.

susiew #2822985 10/11/14 04:56 PM
J
J
susie,

It sounds like OW husband is actually following Dr. Harley's program

J
J
Susie,

I fully support you being in Plan B.
I want to make sure you fully understand Plan B.
Have you written a Plan B letter?
Do you have an IM?

S
susiew Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I have not written the letter. I am working on it. I want to be able to write a letter that truly comes from my heart and not from my resentment. Plan B is to break all contact with WS. And to protect myself from the negativity. I figured, it is a good time to work on finding my peace and working on forgive myself for the things I have done. I have a friend that is going to filter communication. I have even blocked him from my cell, so I will not see any msgs or calls from him. We need to figure out visitation with the kids.

Susie,

I fully support you being in Plan B.
I want to make sure you fully understand Plan B.
Have you written a Plan B letter?
Do you have an IM?

S
susiew Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I bought them the book and mailed it to them. So perhaps that is what they are doing. Her Husband texted me about all they are doing.

susie,

It sounds like OW husband is actually following Dr. Harley's program

susiew #2822989 10/11/14 05:40 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by susiew
[

Ok, I see what you are saying I guess because in reading about emotional abuse, they mention lack of trust and having to know every thing the other does as "controlling" and emotionally abusive, I jumped at that EP and the accounting for money as borderline abusive. I agree that to ME it is important as my trust has been broken but it would only be OK if he agreed to provide this info (which also means, it is the ONLY way, we can consider working on recovery). Right now he will not agree to anything that seems to him as "controlling" or lack of trust, whether I have a reasons to not trust him or not.

And this should tell you that he is not remotely serious about recovery. Not trusting your spouse is not a sign of abuse on YOUR PART,it is a sign of untrustworthiness on HIS PART. He is untrustworthy. So you should explain to him that you do not trust him because he is untrustworthy. Trsut is EARNED, it is not an entitlement for wayward spouses.

Calling YOU 'controlling" for not trusting an untrustworthy person is a form of gas lighting that we typically see from way wards.

Through this situation, I have learned a lot about myself. We have inadvertently hurt each other deeply way before the affair was up and running. I guess we are not ready for recovery, we have issues within ourselves that need to be fixed before anything else can be fixed.

I seriously doubt that. Your biggest problem is your marriage and going off to "fix" yourselves is a needless distraction.

I am on Plan B. He is not staying at the house, we have not communicated in anyway. It is not because the affair is on going, the affair has truly ended. It is because we have lived in a cycle of emotional abuse that we need to get a grip of ourselves individually to climb out of the hole we fallen into, so that then we can work on saving the marriage and fixing it.

What do you mean when you say you are in "Plan B?" You have an IM? Have you sent him a letter? What has been done?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Let me give you an example. In a healthy marriage when one spouse does not trust the other, the solution is to create an environment where trust can be achieved. In a sick, dysfunctional marriage, that complaint is met with accusations of "insecurity," etc, which makes the problem WORSE and destroys the marriage. That is what seems to have happened in your case. You seem to believe there is something wrong with YOU because you don't trust your husband. But you would trust him if he behaved in a trustworthy manner.

Trust is EARNED. It is not an entitlement.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
susiew Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
[

Ok, I see what you are saying I guess because in reading about emotional abuse, they mention lack of trust and having to know every thing the other does as "controlling" and emotionally abusive, I jumped at that EP and the accounting for money as borderline abusive. I agree that to ME it is important as my trust has been broken but it would only be OK if he agreed to provide this info (which also means, it is the ONLY way, we can consider working on recovery). Right now he will not agree to anything that seems to him as "controlling" or lack of trust, whether I have a reasons to not trust him or not.

And this should tell you that he is not remotely serious about recovery. Not trusting your spouse is not a sign of abuse on YOUR PART,it is a sign of untrustworthiness on HIS PART. He is untrustworthy. So you should explain to him that you do not trust him because he is untrustworthy. Trsut is EARNED, it is not an entitlement for wayward spouses.

Calling YOU 'controlling" for not trusting an untrustworthy person is a form of gas lighting that we typically see from way wards.

[/color] He did not tell me not trusting him was controlling/ abusive. I read it somewhere that lack of trust could become abusive behavior. But, No, the control issue is not exclusively about trusting. There are other things. I know I have control issues, I even told Dr. Harley about that. He agreed that it seemed that my "controlling" issues could be keeping my husband at bay regardless of whether the affair was over or not.

Through this situation, I have learned a lot about myself. We have inadvertently hurt each other deeply way before the affair was up and running. I guess we are not ready for recovery, we have issues within ourselves that need to be fixed before anything else can be fixed.

I seriously doubt that. Your biggest problem is your marriage and going off to "fix" yourselves is a needless distraction.

[color:#000099]
I am fixing myself because I am not happy with who I have become. I cannot work on a marriage alone, and I know he is not committed to recovery, so I will do what I can do on my own which is working on myself. My control issues are REAL, whether I realized it or not. Now I know about it and I will make it better for MY own well being. Again I can only change myself and dictate MY actions, not his or anyone else's

I am on Plan B. He is not staying at the house, we have not communicated in anyway. It is not because the affair is on going, the affair has truly ended. It is because we have lived in a cycle of emotional abuse that we need to get a grip of ourselves individually to climb out of the hole we fallen into, so that then we can work on saving the marriage and fixing it.

What do you mean when you say you are in "Plan B?" You have an IM? Have you sent him a letter? What has been done?

[color:#000099][/color] Yes I have an IM. I am working on the letter. I want it to come from my heart and not filled with anger and resentment. I have changed the locks and I have blocked him from my cellphone.

susiew #2823018 10/11/14 10:30 PM
M
M
[
[color:#000099][/color] He did not tell me not trusting him was controlling/ abusive. I read it somewhere that lack of trust could become abusive behavior.

Hopefully you understand it is not abusive at all now. A lack of trust is an emotional reaction to untrustworthy people who have not EARNED your trust. Anyone who says that is "abusive" is silly.

i would put those "issues" aside for now because you have bigger fish to fry. Working on your issues will be a distraction from your marriage problems.

Exposure 101

susiew #2823020 10/11/14 10:31 PM
M
M
[Yes I have an IM. I am working on the letter. I want it to come from my heart and not filled with anger and resentment. I have changed the locks and I have blocked him from my cellphone.

Please use the format letter in Surviving an Affair and post it here so we can give you feedback.

Exposure 101

S
susiew Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I just got a call from my IM, my WH called her and asked her what he needed to do to be able to come back home and work on our marriage. I told her I'd get back to her about it.

#1 for me is, he eliminates his angry outbursts/ mind games and threats of "I'm leaving"
#2 write the NC letter?
#3 agree to follow the EP's?

Last edited by susiew; 10/12/14 03:20 PM.
susiew #2823130 10/12/14 05:49 PM
T
T
I just got a call from my IM, my WH called her and asked her what he needed to do to be able to come back home and work on our marriage. I told her I'd get back to her about it.

#1 for me is, he eliminates his angry outbursts/ mind games and threats of "I'm leaving"
#2 write the NC letter?

What are your EP's?

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11)
R
R
First....don't get your hopes up.

Tell IM that he knows what he must do.
There must be no further contact with OW and he would need to agree to extraordinary precautions to protect the marriage and children from further harm.

If he is up to seriously attempting to return to rebuild, he must show it in word and deed.

Then, if it seems he is willing to do the difficult work needed, you and he ought to get guidance from the Surviving An Affair book on how to rebuild. He will need to write a no contact letter to OW and lots more.

Again, he may not be ready to recover the marriage at this juncture. Do not feel too disheartened if he switches gears yet again and isn't willing.

A firm, strong woman is most attractive. Whether he wins you back or blows it, that is a fact.

S
susiew Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Tink007

#2 write the NC letter?

What are your EP's?

Block potential communication with the OW (change e-mail address, give me complete access to all social networking accounts; allow me to monitor voice messages and e-mail).

Account for time (I will call a few times a day and he should call me when he is on his way home, if there is traffic issues, etc. he should be willing to tell me where he is and who he is with at all times). I will be using a GPS phone tracker, so his phone must be on at all times.

Account for money (He should give me a copy of his work hours and let me see his pay stub, let me know what he has spent money on)

Spend leisure time together.

Avoid overnight separation.

susiew #2823154 10/12/14 08:49 PM
M
M
Here are the EP's

From Surviving an Affair, pg 66-67

The extraordinary precautions do more than end marriage-threatening affairs; they help a couple form the kind of relationship they always wanted.

These recommendations may seem rigid, unnecessarily confining, and even paranoid to those who have not been the victim of infidelity. But people like Sue and Jon, who have suffered unimaginable pain as a result of an affair that spun out of control, can easily see their value. For the inconvenience of following my advice, Sue would have spared herself and Jon the very worst experience of their lives.

Checklist for How Affairs Should End

_____The unfaithful spouse should reveal information about the affair to the betrayed spouse.

_____The unfaithful spouse should make a commitment to the betrayed spouse to never see or talk to the lover OP again.

_____The unfaithful spouse should write a letter to the lover OP ending the relationship and send it with the approval of the betrayed spouse.

_____The unfaithful spouse should take extraordinary precautions to guarantee total separation from the lover OP:

_____Block potential communication with the lover OP (change e-mail address and home and cell phone numbers, and close all social networking accounts; have voice messages and mail monitored by the betrayed spouse).

_____Account for time (betrayed spouse and wayward spouse give each other a twenty-four-hour daily schedule with locations and telephone numbers).

_____Account for money (betrayed spouse and wayward spouse give each other a complete account of all money spent).

_____Spend leisure time together.

_____Change jobs and relocate if necessary.

_____Avoid overnight separation.

_____Allow technical accountability.

_____ Expose affair to family members, clergy, and/or friends.

Exposure 101

S
susiew Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by reading
First....don't get your hopes up.

Tell IM that he knows what he must do.
There must be no further contact with OW and he would need to agree to extraordinary precautions to protect the marriage and children from further harm.

If he is up to seriously attempting to return to rebuild, he must show it in word and deed.

Then, if it seems he is willing to do the difficult work needed, you and he ought to get guidance from the Surviving An Affair book on how to rebuild. He will need to write a no contact letter to OW and lots more.

Again, he may not be ready to recover the marriage at this juncture. Do not feel too disheartened if he switches gears yet again and isn't willing.

A firm, strong woman is most attractive. Whether he wins you back or blows it, that is a fact.

I am not getting my hopes up yet. He wants to know what else, he needs to do since the affair has ended and there is No contact with OW. This is a fact as her husband has taken EP, including a text from her telling my husband that she is working on her marriage and to no contact her again. They are moving and she has changed cell phones, has a gps in her truck and is giving him 24 hr account of her whereabouts, etc. I figured the list from the book but was wondering if anything else.

Some of these things have already been done, like the revealing about the affair and exposing. And I figured, the rest of the list would be part of the conditions to allow him to come back along with the end of the threats and mind games... So basically, should I send her this list, so she can give it to him?

J
J
Here are the EP's

The extraordinary precautions do more than end marriage-threatening affairs; they help a couple form the kind of relationship they always wanted.

These recommendations may seem rigid, unnecessarily confining, and even paranoid to those who have not been the victim of infidelity. But people like Sue and Jon, who have suffered unimaginable pain as a result of an affair that spun out of control, can easily see their value. For the inconvenience of following my advice, Sue would have spared herself and Jon the very worst experience of their lives.

_____The unfaithful spouse should reveal information about the affair to the betrayed spouse.

_____The unfaithful spouse should make a commitment to the betrayed spouse to never see or talk to the lover OP again.

_____The unfaithful spouse should write a letter to the lover OP ending the relationship and send it with the approval of the betrayed spouse.

_____The unfaithful spouse should take extraordinary precautions to guarantee total separation from the lover OP:

_____Block potential communication with the lover OP (change e-mail address and home and cell phone numbers, and close all social networking accounts; have voice messages and mail monitored by the betrayed spouse).

_____Account for time (betrayed spouse and wayward spouse give each other a twenty-four-hour daily schedule with locations and telephone numbers).

_____Account for money (betrayed spouse and wayward spouse give each other a complete account of all money spent).

Yes, send your IM this list.

S
susiew Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Here are the EP's

Yes, send your IM this list.

I sent the list in an email that she forwarded to him. He responded, that he is willing to do all of it, including moving if we HAVE to or if I want to. That he wants his family back. He told her he has an appointment for individual counseling on Wednesday and is also willing to go to marriage counseling, that I did not mention. I still didn't tell her to tell him he can come back.

Do you think I should let him come back? How do I know it is not a ploy to get back in the house?

Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 53 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation