Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2827320 11/07/14 12:24 PM
C
OP Offline
C
I watched Dr. Harley's YouTube video, in which he declares that the pain of infidelity is worse than physical abuse, losing a child, or even being assaulted. My dear devoted husband, whose two ex-wives were both unfaithful, offered me a unique male perspective. He told me it would have been less painful for him to endure a physical beating than live with the knowledge of being betrayed by the one he loved. I wonder if this rings true with anyone else.

Every man dies. Not every man truly lives.
A
A

Last edited by Alada; 11/07/14 05:00 PM.

FBW 36 (me)
DH 35
DD6,DD4,DS1
On Recovery
F
F
Originally Posted by CelticMuse
I watched Dr. Harley's YouTube video, in which he declares that the pain of infidelity is worse than physical abuse, losing a child, or even being assaulted.

I just want to point out that Dr Harley didn't just declare that out of thin air. It's based on feedback he has received from clients of his who have experienced both. Much more compelling when presented that way.

Me (42)
Her (43) - feuillecouleur

DS(11)
DD(7)

Married: June 24, 2000

Recovered
L
L
I've never been beaten nor have I lost a child; however, my very beloved father just passed away in August, and as wrenchingly painful as that was to me, my H's infidelity was far more painful. I never would have thought this could be possible until I lived through it myself.

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Recovered thanks to Marriage Builders
M
M
Originally Posted by CelticMuse
He told me it would have been less painful for him to endure a physical beating than live with the knowledge of being betrayed by the one he loved. I wonder if this rings true with anyone else.

I'm sure it does - I've heard Dr. Harley say that many people have told him so in almost exactly those words!

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
markos #2827410 11/07/14 11:13 PM
H
H
I asked this of people who had similar experiences - one woman stated that being raped was overall less painful and traumatic than her husband cheating.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
markos #2827439 11/08/14 10:36 AM
M
M
From "Defending Traditional Marriage" pg 143:

An affair is devastating to a betrayed spouse. It�s one of the most painful experiences that he or she could ever endure. In fact, most betrayed spouses cannot think of a single tragedy that is worse for them than the affair. Consider these examples (names have been changed to protect their identity)

* Nancy's father was murdered, her mother died of a very aggressive cancer in the same year. Both were very close to Nancy, and their sudden deaths were devastating to her. But she reported that the pain she suffered from her husband's affair was far more devastating.

* Cindy had been sexually molested by her father in her early teens. Yet her husband's one-year affair with a woman he met while away on business created far more trauma for her than her father's irresponsible behavior.

* Julie was raped by a stranger when she attended college. She told us that the rape paled in comparison to her struggle with her husband's two year affair with a female co worker.

* Robin was gang raped when she was twenty three. She reported that her husband�s one year affair with a woman he met at a local bar was much more difficult to overcome than the physical and emotional damage from the rape.

* Chad's six year old son died in a backyard accident. He said the pain he suffered from his wife's affair with a neighbor was far greater than the pain from his son's tragic death.

* Sylvia's younger sister was raped and murdered by a stranger when Sylvia was twenty one. But her husband's five month affair with a co-worker caused her to suffer more than the brutal death of her younger sister, whom she cared for deeply.

These are just a few of the testimonials that we have recorded when counseling victims of infidelity at the Marriage Builders Counseling Center. Scores of others have told me the same thing. A spouse's affair is the just about the worst experience in anyone's life.

Dr Harley also discusses it here:

Originally Posted by Dr Harley
After having counseled thousands of couples with hundreds of marital conflicts, I am completely convinced that a spouse's unfaithfulness is the most painful experience that can be inflicted in marriage. Those I've counseled who have
had the tragic misfortune of having experienced rape, physical abuse, sexual abuse of their children, and infidelity have consistently reported to me that their spouse's unfaithfulness was their very worst experience
. To be convinced of the devastating impact of infidelity, you only need to go through it once.
How to Survive Infidelity

Some of Dr Harley's posts to members on the weekend forum:

written to a WH:
Since you've had an affair, I would imagine that your wife is very emotionally defensive about the subject. It's the worst experience of her life -- worse than the loss of her son five years ago. Can you imagine anything being that bad? Well, you did it to her, and she is suffering as a result. It's all she can do to remain rational. If she were to express herself emotionally at this point, she would probably be expressing deep feelings of hopelessness and catastrophic loss. By trying to be rational, she is able to focus on the practical side of the issue.
here

"We regard infidelity as the worst offense in marriage. More damaging than physical abuse. And when a couple goes through a period of time when their relationship is broken, and they are not meeting each other's emotional needs, infidelity is very common. Granted, we can even patch these marriages together when the incentive to reconcile (children) is present. But it would be much easier and much less painful if you and your husband never had to go through it.
here

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

L
L
Thanks, ML, for posting those quotes. Dr. Harley is the first person ever to really explain the pain of an affair so adequately.

When we attended MC after my H's first affair, our counselor seemed to sympathize but she was more interested in remaining neutral. No one at all, not the pastor nor my parents nor my H's parents, NO ONE, ever acknowledged that it was a deeply painful experience for me, indeed the most painful in my life. I am still stunned that our MC never addressed EPs or explained that we needed to eliminate the conditions of the affair (travel.)

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Recovered thanks to Marriage Builders
A
A
Yes, thank you for these quotes. It seems so obvious now. We used to refer to this as a "BGO", brilliant glimpse of the obvious.

AM

BW - 70
WH - 65
M - 35 years
D-day - 17 Apr 08
H broke contact 11/1/09
Back in love after the worst thing that every happened to us.
C
C
Originally Posted by LongWayFromHome
I've never been beaten nor have I lost a child; however, my very beloved father just passed away in August, and as wrenchingly painful as that was to me, my H's infidelity was far more painful. I never would have thought this could be possible until I lived through it myself.

Long Way:

I am very sorry for your loss.

Me: BW, 57 fWH: 63 (Taffy1) Serial cheater
Presently on the Recovery Road, in the Online program.
C
C
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand
I asked this of people who had similar experiences - one woman stated that being raped was overall less painful and traumatic than her husband cheating.

Yes, certainly true for me...

And MUCH worse, if there is an FR.

Me: BW, 57 fWH: 63 (Taffy1) Serial cheater
Presently on the Recovery Road, in the Online program.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,084 guests, and 80 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation