Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
M
Originally Posted by LongMarriedGuy
I have only had a brief conversation with the OM to stop calling my home a couple of months ago and he hung up on me in the process. He has refrained from calling my home, however, the two pair continues contact via text and calls to my WW's cell phone. I have not contacted anyone else associated with the OM to-date, as I believe the folks on that side are enablers in keeping the affair going and almost see it as a badge of honor for the OM.

I would contact his father personally and have a discussion with him. Sure, he might endorse adultery, but you won't know until you speak to him.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

L
OP Offline
L
I only have an address for where the Dad lives and no phone number. Since I believe the OM also lives there, I'm not inclined to make a visit there. In addition, the neighborhood there is a bit on the rough side.

M
M
I only have an address for where the Dad lives and no phone number. Since I believe the OM also lives there, I'm not inclined to make a visit there. In addition, the neighborhood there is a bit on the rough side.

Can you go and take a big friend?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

L
OP Offline
L
Thanks for the thought, but I'm not sure if the reward will outweigh the risk in this case.

M
M
Thanks for the thought, but I'm not sure if the reward will outweigh the risk in this case.

But, you don't know that until you try. We have had many cases where notifying a parent spelled the end of the affair or caused great conflict in it. You can't afford to miss exposure to the OM's parent. That is a KEY exposure target. Don't talk yourself out of these steps with unknown hypotheticals. Sure, it may amount to nothing, but it may also reap great rewards. You just don't' know..

Exposure 101

N
N
Please don't skip exposure targets because you don't think they'll work. That's not the point. The point is to try everything in the hopes that something might work. I skipped the cheaterville suggestion early on for precisely that reason: I didn't think it would work. Now I've done it, and it had an impact, but I'm afraid I might have been too late. If you want to save your marriage, do everything. Don't have regrets later.

Remarried 7/16
Thanks MB!
L
OP Offline
L
Thanks for providing greater clarity to your suggestions. I will try to see if I can contact the father. I did contact a prior associate of the OM today and was told that she had contracted with him to perform some home repairs and paid him for the materials upfront. The OM never performed the repairs nor refunded the upfront money, so she took him to court and won a judgement against him. She also stated that he was a drug user during that time frame.

W
W
Have you tried sitting your wife down and asking her all your questions? If you can remain cool and calm, she won't feel threatened. Try to find out legnth of affair, what she felt was missing in the marriage, etc. You need to know! If the OM is a loser (and it sounds like he is), she may come out of the fog sooner than later. It bothers me that this is her 2nd affair. Why?

L
OP Offline
L
I have tried talking to WW, however, she is very defensive and threatening divorce while maintaining her affair, so she is very hesitant to make self-incriminating statements. She feels that I have not fulfilled her emotional needs. Unfortunately, she has not fulfilled my needs either and I have worked very hard for many years to support our household as the primary breadwinner. I'm really trying to rectify this issue as I close in on retirement, but find it virtually impossible to do while the affair continues.

B
B
I have only had a brief conversation with the OM to stop calling my home a couple of months ago and he hung up on me in the process. He has refrained from calling my home, however, the pair continue contact via text and calls to my WW's cell phone. I have not contacted anyone else associated with the OM to-date, as I believe the folks on that side are enablers in keeping the affair going and almost see it as a badge of honor for the OM.
Does your WW pay her own cell bill?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

J
J
LMG,
I too am worried that is not your wife's first rodeo. But I also sense that neither of you have met each other's emotional needs during the long course of your marriage. If you both learned to do this--and she learns to put up boundaries around men--you could have a happy marriage.

Your wife found someone who is meeting those needs, and she is not going to give that up easily. It's wrong, but that is what you are facing.

Someone close to your wife needs to let her know that she is headed down a path of destruction. Her best option is to end contact for life with this loser and go through counseling with a someone who takes Dr. Harley's approach. Steve Harley is a real option for you. I wonder if you might be able to hire Steve, do a session with him and then get your wife to speak with him at another time. I've heard that he is very persuasive.

But first things, first. Kill the affair.

L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
I have only had a brief conversation with the OM to stop calling my home a couple of months ago and he hung up on me in the process. He has refrained from calling my home, however, the pair continue contact via text and calls to my WW's cell phone. I have not contacted anyone else associated with the OM to-date, as I believe the folks on that side are enablers in keeping the affair going and almost see it as a badge of honor for the OM.
Does your WW pay her own cell bill?

No, I pay our joint cell phone bill, in addition to almost every other household bill. I currently continue to pay it, so that I can keep an eye on usage, now that I'm aware of the affair. For years, I had no access to the cell bills/usage records, since WW was the cell plan originator. I just paid the bill since my phone was included on the plan. After the affair was discovered this summer, I insisted that I be granted full access to the see the bills/usage report data, which has been granted. WW recently started working again, which was one of the needs that were not being met for me, however, I believe WW is working towards gaining the financial resources to divorce in time, while maintaining her affair.

L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by Justthe3ofus
LMG,
I too am worried that is not your wife's first rodeo. But I also sense that neither of you have met each other's emotional needs during the long course of your marriage. If you both learned to do this--and she learns to put up boundaries around men--you could have a happy marriage.

Your wife found someone who is meeting those needs, and she is not going to give that up easily. It's wrong, but that is what you are facing.

Someone close to your wife needs to let her know that she is headed down a path of destruction. Her best option is to end contact for life with this loser and go through counseling with a someone who takes Dr. Harley's approach. Steve Harley is a real option for you. I wonder if you might be able to hire Steve, do a session with him and then get your wife to speak with him at another time. I've heard that he is very persuasive.

But first things, first. Kill the affair.

I have let all of WW's family know of the affair and many have spoken with her on multiple occasions to end it. Unfortunately, the one sibling closest to her passed away earlier this year, so she grew even more wayward after that. I'd really like to have sessions with someone who embraces Dr. Harley's approach locally in my area with the two of us. Does anyone have a city/state list of these resources?

As you mentioned, I'm now working very hard to terminate the affair.

B
B
Listen to the clips in here. There's a clip at the end on how to find a good counselor.

Beware of Bad Counselors

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

B
B
Since you're the primary bread winner have you cut all avenues that she is using to facilitate her affair?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

G
G
I suggest calling MB coaching center and set up an appointment with Steve Harley. The MB coaching is just as well received and more workable than local resources.

If you are in a financial hardship, email the Harley's at MB Radio and speak to Dr Harley. These resources will be much more concise and save you time and resources in the long haul.

Also, I hope you are monitoring your health. I hope you are getting tested for STD's. Also suggest your wife do the same. She is at significant risk for a number of blood borne pathogens including Hepatitis and Aides.

It appears your wife is cake walking. You are keeping a roof over her head, keeping her in food, clothing, sundries beyond her own means. This OM is providing seeming intimate support and B*&@* S^#!(. Before she gains more momentum, it seems your going to need to indicate she'll need to leave by a certain deadline if she has not ended the affair. You can plan A from afar but you can no longer support her affair. Don't threaten, just do it.

This would place more stress on herself and the OM. Under additional stressors you might start looking like the better option.

BW 58
WH 61
married 35 years
2 adult children
2 grandchildren

"Love anything and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact, you must give your heart to no one...It will not be broken, it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable...The only place outside of Heaven where you can be perfectly safe from dangers and perturbations of love is Hell" c.s. lewis
L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Since you're the primary bread winner have you cut all avenues that she is using to facilitate her affair?

I've cut down on the bulk of the avenues. The cell phone is the current path that is tedious. Since WW has it in her name and I'm tied to it, if I cut off the funding for it, I loose access to monitoring and WW will likely just get a prepaid phone that I will know nothing about.

L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by graceful2b
I suggest calling MB coaching center and set up an appointment with Steve Harley. The MB coaching is just as well received and more workable than local resources.

If you are in a financial hardship, email the Harley's at MB Radio and speak to Dr Harley. These resources will be much more concise and save you time and resources in the long haul.

Also, I hope you are monitoring your health. I hope you are getting tested for STD's. Also suggest your wife do the same. She is at significant risk for a number of blood borne pathogens including Hepatitis and Aides.

It appears your wife is cake walking. You are keeping a roof over her head, keeping her in food, clothing, sundries beyond her own means. This OM is providing seeming intimate support and B*&@* S^#!(. Before she gains more momentum, it seems your going to need to indicate she'll need to leave by a certain deadline if she has not ended the affair. You can plan A from afar but you can no longer support her affair. Don't threaten, just do it.

This would place more stress on herself and the OM. Under additional stressors you might start looking like the better option.

Yes, absolutely WW is cake walking. I've been cutting off as much support as I can to WW. I must take care in setting arbitrary deadlines, as we jointly own the house, so I can't legally demand that she leave.

U
U

Dr Harley would not suggest a man in Plan A ask his WW to leave the marital home. It is much more difficult to Plan A from afar than it is when you are together. There is sometimes a fine line between supporting the A and Plan A, meaning you do not want to support the affair and do want to have boundaries, but you also want to show amazing care to your wife to 'win her back' and be the better option, and sometimes one can seem like a contradiction to the other. Many posters currently posting here are having to walk this line and can give you great advice on this.

Also, you can email Dr Harley himself and ask about your specific situation and how to proceed.

L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by unwritten

Dr Harley would not suggest a man in Plan A ask his WW to leave the marital home. It is much more difficult to Plan A from afar than it is when you are together. There is sometimes a fine line between supporting the A and Plan A, meaning you do not want to support the affair and do want to have boundaries, but you also want to show amazing care to your wife to 'win her back' and be the better option, and sometimes one can seem like a contradiction to the other. Many posters currently posting here are having to walk this line and can give you great advice on this.

Also, you can email Dr Harley himself and ask about your specific situation and how to proceed.

This is exactly the position that I'm currently in. WW is cake walking me and is being emotionally supported and coached by the OM. I'm trying to win her back without running her off and set some affair boundaries, in addition to staying legal, which is a very fine line. I will e-mail Dr. Harley for additional guidance. Do you happen to have his e-mail address that you can share?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 697 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation