Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
H
OP Offline
H
She says alot of the same things that this site says. She has even mentioned moving but of course I shot that down and she dosent dwell on it. Instead she helps us learn to put the boundaries in place and helps us recognize Where we have trouble putting the boundaries.
She has opened my eyes alot on things.

I
I
Originally Posted by HeartBrokenlost
My husband and I are not the type to follow one thing word for word. We do our research and do many things and take a little bit from each thing, then create a path that works for us. Just because it worked for you dosent mean it's right and will work for us.. I know myself better than anyone and moving is absolutely the wrong thing for me. I will not live with hate in my heart. I am a very forgiving person and I will forgive ow one day. I will not allow her actions to control the way I feel.

Pull the other one.

We've been Betrayed too. We know how you feel about her.

She's taken as much from you as she's ever going to get!

She's not taking your turf away from you too!

We all felt that way. But don't paint this as forgiving the unrepentant whore who is still gunning for you when it's actually a stubborn and senseless defense of the territory you feel she invaded.

You'll go down in flames rather than retreat strategically.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

M
M

The person who only has experience wrecking marriages and has no education or experience saving marriages says:

Originally Posted by Heartborkenlost
"My husband and I are not the type to follow one thing word for word. We do our research and do many things and take a little bit from each thing, then create a path that works for us."

A clinical psychologist, with 40 years experience, author of Surviving of An Affair who has saved thousands of marriages says:
Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley
"In spite of career sacrifices, friendships, and issues relating to children's schooling, I am adamant in recommending that there be no contact with a former lover for life. For many, that means a move to another state. But to do otherwise fails to recognize the nature of addiction and its cure." here

"The plan I recommend for recovery after an affair is very specific. That's because I've found that even small deviations from that plan are usually disastrous. " here

Who is the most likely to "create a path" that will work for you? think

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

F
F
Fight the fight I am NOT moving! There is absolutely nothing anyone can say to me to make me move. I know myself better than anyone and is moving is wrong! You can not choose the same path that everyone else chose And expect the same outcome.

Then what is your MC's plan for dealing with the infidelity? What boundaries?

Me (42)
Her (43) - feuillecouleur

DS(11)
DD(7)

Married: June 24, 2000

Recovered
B
B
I am a very forgiving person and I will forgive ow one day.

Is forgiving OW a topic of discussion with the MC?

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
M
M
She says alot of the same things that this site says. She has even mentioned moving but of course I shot that down and she dosent dwell on it. Instead she helps us learn to put the boundaries in place and helps us recognize Where we have trouble putting the boundaries.
She has opened my eyes alot on things.

This is like "setting boundaries" for drunk driving. This is why Dr. Harley keeps issues like this on the front burner and will not move on to step two until you have completed step one. It just gives you the illusion that you are saving your marriage.

It is a good way to keep you coming and paying her for her services, but it won't save your marriage.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

H
OP Offline
H
I called her a whore in the beginning I no longer have that feeling and I call her by name now. I am sorry if you guys still have the hate in your heart because that dosent do anything but hurt you not the other person. You can not go on thinking because this path you chose to take helped you, so it will help everyone else. What exactly is the percentage rate of success with mb? I'm sure it's not 100% I'm sure it's low just like the rest. They all pretty much do the same thing.

F
F
What exactly is the percentage rate of success with mb? I'm sure it's not 100% I'm sure it's low just like the rest. They all pretty much do the same thing.

Hope it's OK to bring this up from the weekend forum. But I've actually seen this answered.

Originally Posted by AmorMovesMe
Dear Dr. Harley:

1. The success rate of traditional marital therapy is less than 25%. correct?

2. What is the success rate of MB? 70% to 80%? Does that success rate vary whether infidelity is involved or not?

3. Another marital therapist stated that roughly 1/3 of first marriages end in divorce, roughly 2/3 of second marriages end in divorce, and roughly 90% or third marriages. Is this correct?

4. Infidelity affects about 55% of marriages. Correct?

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
1. Correct. But there is a big difference between, "helplful" and "success." Very few report that the therapy actually solved their problem. About 25% report that it was merely helpful.

2. The success rate of MB is 100% of those where both spouses follow our program. Our program is to eliminate Love Busters, meet each other's top five emotional needs, and make all decisions with joint enthusiastic agreement. When a couples does that, they are in love and happily married. Joyce and I along with about 20% of all marrages follow those rules.

3. That sounds about right, but I have not seen any studies on that topic. If you know of a reference, let me know.

4. I would bump it up to 60%, but it's close.

Me (42)
Her (43) - feuillecouleur

DS(11)
DD(7)

Married: June 24, 2000

Recovered
M
M
I called her a whore in the beginning I no longer have that feeling and I call her by name now. I am sorry if you guys still have the hate in your heart because that dosent do anything but hurt you not the other person. You can not go on thinking because this path you chose to take helped you, so it will help everyone else. What exactly is the percentage rate of success with mb? I'm sure it's not 100% I'm sure it's low just like the rest. They all pretty much do the same thing.

That is silly. You don't have to "forgive" someone to release hate.

Nor do you know the "path" for recovery. You have not recovered your marriage and we have. You are the fat person who is lecturing the thin, healthy people about how to recover a marriage.

What exactly is the percentage rate of success with mb? I'm sure it's not 100% I'm sure it's low just like the rest.

What is your percentage? Wouldn't it be 0%?

Exposure 101

I
I
I called her a whore in the beginning I no longer have that feeling and I call her by name now. I am sorry if you guys still have the hate in your heart because that dosent do anything but hurt you not the other person.

That's a pretty big assumption you're making.

I don't call the OW in my situation that name because I have no idea what she is up to these days. She may be a fully remorseful missionary.

If she is, it's because I did everything in my power to slay the evil that existed. I did not continue the turf war which would be an enormous temptation and red flag of challenge to any OW.

I am incredibly happy and free of resentment. Read my thread before you judge me.

Last edited by indiegirl; 01/08/15 01:53 PM.

M
M
I am adding an article about the success rate of Marriage Builders, however, I don't believe that means anything to you because you are opting for your own plan and you have a ZERO percent success rate.

Effective Marriage Counseling:

When I found that the model I've developed had helped over 90% of those I was counseling, I gave up my career as a college professor and started counseling full-time. At the time, I didn't assume that it would save all of the marriages it seemed to help, because I felt there were factors beyond a couple's control. But after 35 years of experience with this model, I'm not convinced that it works with 100% of couples who follow it. I've yet to witness one couple out of the tens of thousands I've seen, that did not experience a healthy and happy marriage by following this model. Personally, I feel it's the only answer to the question, how can a couple have a great marriage for life?

But it's very difficult to prove that one model of marital satisfaction is superior to another. The ultimate test is to randomly assign couples to various models and to measure their marital satisfaction after the provisions of each model have been implemented.

The training of therapists is a huge problem: How can we be sure that the therapist assigned to each model was properly trained? And there's also the problem of representation and random assignment: Does the group of volunteer couples represent the population at large? And is the assignment to treatment groups really random? There's also the ethical problem of assigning couples to a control group where they receive no effective treatment. When they divorce, does the researcher bear any responsibility? Finally, if someone who has a stake in the outcome does the research, it usually shows that their approach is best. Shouldn't studies of alternative models of marital satisfaction be conducted by those neutral to the outcome?

My own personal experience led me to the model I've been using for the past 35 years. But that's not proof of it's superiority over other models. What I need is objective studies conducted by those who have no bias that compare this model to others. That's hard to find even among those who have published hundreds of articles on martial therapy.

But I can direct you to three studies that support my enthusiasm. They all deal with my book, His Needs, Her Needs, the popular application of my model, and the effect it has on couples that read it.

The readers of Marriage Partnership Magazine were asked which self-help book on marriage helped their marriages the most. In that survey, His Needs, Her Needs came out on top. I didn't know that the survey was even being conducted, so when I called the editor after the results came in, I was curious to know more. He told me that it not only was the top choice, but it was far ahead of second place (Ron R. Lee. Best Books for a Better Marriage: Reader's Survey . Marriage Partnership Magazine, Spring 1998).

In a national survey that I sponsored, people were asked if any self-help book on marriage solved their marital problems. Out of 57 books that were read, only three were reported to have actually solved marital problems. The three were the Bible, James Dobson's Love for a Lifetime, and His Needs, Her Needs (Lynn Hanacek Gravel. Americans and Marriage: National Survey of US Adults. Barna Research Group, 2001).

Finally, five out of six couples that read His Needs Her Needs were found to experience significant improvement in marital satisfaction (Julie D. Braswell. The Impact of Reading a Self-Help Book on the Topic of Gender Differences on One's Perceived Quality of Marriage. Doctoral Dissertation, 1998, Azusa Pacific University.

Granted, these findings are not conclusive evidence that the model I use is superior to every other model of marital satisfaction. But when you find one that works for every couple that actually follows it, you have to be impressed. And coming as I did from almost zero effectiveness to almost complete success, I can't begin to tell you how convinced I am that it's the solution to a very difficult problem we face in our society.

Exposure 101

I
I
The name most certainly applies in your case though. She's not repentant at all.

M
M
HBL, if you are not going to use the Marriage Builders program, then why are you here wasting our time? Do you need our approval? I don't think you do. Just reject our advice and move on. There is no need to stay here and try to convince us. You don't need our approval.

Exposure 101

H
OP Offline
H
I am trying to delete my profile. I don't know how.

I
I
Just stop posting and it will sink.

B
B
I I am sorry if you guys still have the hate in your heart because that dosent do anything but hurt you not the other person.

WOW and thank you for the insult of what I must have in my heart when offering you help.

You can not go on thinking because this path you chose to take helped you, so it will help everyone else.

I am leaving this thread since you are so rude and adamant that your plan is the way to go. Go luck to you and your serial cheater husband.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
M
M
You can not go on thinking because this path you chose to take helped you, so it will help everyone else.

Is it okay if we go on thinking that 100% of the marriages we've seen here that deviated from this route failed? Or do you need to tell us what to think about our own experiences?

What exactly is the percentage rate of success with mb? I'm sure it's not 100% I'm sure it's low just like the rest.

100% of marriages I've seen here where a spouse maintained any sort of contact with a former affair partner failed.

They all pretty much do the same thing.

Not at all. One important difference between Marriage Builders and other programs is that MB creates or restores the feeling of romantic love. Most other counselors and programs teach that that feeling of being in love fades over time and you can't get it back.

Romantic Love: Is it a Realistic Goal for Marital Therapy?

There are a lot of other differences. Most programs teach some sort of stages of marriage where eventually you learn to lower your expectations and coexist independently, whereas Marriage Builders teaches you how to meet each other's expectations and be united and interdependent.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
I am trying to delete my profile. I don't know how.

Why would a site allow that? Most message boards I've been on don't allow you to go delete important pieces of board history like that.

For example, Slashdot, which has been around since 1997, has this in its FAQ

http://slashdot.org/faq/index.shtml

How can I delete my account?

You can't. But don't sweat it; the unused accounts don't hurt anything.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
B
B
My husband and I are not the type to follow one thing word for word. We do our research and do many things and take a little bit from each thing, then create a path that works for us. Just because it worked for you dosent mean it's right and will work for us.. I know myself better than anyone and moving is absolutely the wrong thing for me. I will not live with hate in my heart. I am a very forgiving person and I will forgive ow one day. I will not allow her actions to control the way I feel.
Please read Cutting Corners and the MB Program

Since you like to "research", did you read the false recovery thread?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

M
M
I know myself better than anyone and moving is absolutely the wrong thing for me. I will not live with hate in my heart.

I don't see what "hate in your heart" has to do with moving.

I also don't believe you can read minds and tell what is in people's hearts.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 497 guests, and 42 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation