Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
F
OP Offline
F
So as a purely academic discussion, I was thinking about the thought process of a counselor who has advised another poster that she needed to "release the hate from her heart" and forgive the other woman who also happens to live in the same neighborhood.

Of course there is the advice here given by Dr Harley to eliminate contact with an affair partner for life which of course is pretty much impossible due to the proximity.

But there was another thread of persuasion that revolved around the idea that the BW herself would be triggered by the mere presence / seeing / hearing about the OW.

So I went looking for what this possible advice could be and I found a series of articles based around the idea of "A Process To Find Healing For Personal Trigger Points". I believe this is along the lines of what was being advised to this particular poster by her counselor and was wondering why that actually wouldn't work?

The final step in the process described was :

�Forgive the other participant(s)
�Forgive yourself for your original role in your pain
�Forgive yourself for perpetuating your pain

One quote was this:

"
Every moment that you do not forgive them for what they did is a moment where you allow them to hold power over you. You do not have to begin to like them, you do not have to invite them back into your life.

But for you, and for you only, it is important to let them know that you understand that the only reason they did the thing they did was because they were in great pain of their own. Let them know that you understand that they have work to do on forgiving themselves so that they can one day be free of the pain that caused them to harm you."

If a person really bought into that idea and believed it, would that really allow them not to trigger over something like, say an OW living in the same neighborhood?

Is the psychology of that just fundamentally flawed somehow?

I'd post a link to the article but not sure that's allowed.

Anyway, just an academic exercise if someone has the time and wants to comment.

Last edited by FightTheFight; 01/09/15 02:26 PM.

Me (42)
Her (43) - feuillecouleur

DS(11)
DD(7)

Married: June 24, 2000

Recovered
A
A
I sent an email a while ago to Dr H asking about forgiving the OW. Dr Harley's response was awesome as always. I don't have the link, maybe someone can put it up for you. I sent the email on 9/19 and I think the email was responded the following week.

Basically what Dr. Harley said is that you forgive someone you wish to restore a relationship with. In this case you are better off with NC to OW, so there is no need to forgive. Sure you have to let go off your hurt but that is only achieved by just compensation.

FBW 36 (me)
DH 35
DD6,DD4,DS1
On Recovery
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by Alada
Basically what Dr. Harley said is that you forgive someone you wish to restore a relationship with. In this case you are better off with NC to OW, so there is no need to forgive.

I do understand the idea of no contact. I'm purposely ignoring the no contact provision as it's non-debatable in my book.

But suppose the person just decided to "forgive" the person in their own heart without contacting them? Could one really get to the place where they were not affected emotionally by the proximity of the OW?

Asked another way, I've always heard to just avoid triggers in the first place. I guess it never occurred to me that people might be advised to "get over" them.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
B
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

M
M
Originally Posted by FightTheFight
[But suppose the person just decided to "forgive" the person in their own heart without contacting them? Could one really get to the place where they were not affected emotionally by the proximity of the OW?

Asked another way, I've always heard to just avoid triggers in the first place. I guess it never occurred to me that people might be advised to "get over" them.

This premise misses the whole dynamic of an affair. That would be like telling an alcoholic to just "get over" his alcohol addiction and keep drinking. An affair is an addiction just the same as alcohol. So seeing the OW every day is the same as having a drink. Living in the same neighborhood is the equivalence of going into the bar every day, so the affair is top of mind at all times. That is the greatest problem with living right by an OP.

As far as the BS experience, it would be like living next to your rapist. Every day you would be reminded of your rape. Adultery is a greater crime, of course, so the reminder would be worse. All the fake "forgiveness" will not wipe out one's bad memories.

And in the case of an affair, "forgiveness" is not appropriate or necessary. It is just a silly, feel good step that is harmful to recovery. The purpose of "forgiveness" is reconciliation and obviously one should not continue reconcile with the OP. The OP should be removed from the marriage completely. One does not have to go through a fake forgiveness in order to release "hate" from their heart.

The issue here is not "forgiveness" but a matter of staying in the environment that led to the affair. Obviously, an alcoholic cannot continue to drink and hang out in the bar and expect to sober up. Neither can an adulterer withdraw living next to his girlfriend.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
[But suppose the person just decided to "forgive" the person in their own heart without contacting them?

I don't think doing a fake, one-way "forgiveness" will erase feelings of tragedy and sorrow brought on the presence of a rapist. I can chant "I forgive, I forgive, I forgive, I forgive" and that will never erase my bad feelings about my XH. What erased my bad feelings was removing him from my life.

But chanting "I forgive, I forgive, I forgive, I forgive" is not a magical recipe to wipe out feelings of tragedy and sorrow.

Do we imagine that saying "I forgive, I forgive, I forgive, I forgive" has magical properties?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

B
B
But for you, and for you only, it is important to let them know that you understand that the only reason they did the thing they did was because they were in great pain of their own. Let them know that you understand that they have work to do on forgiving themselves so that they can one day be free of the pain that caused them to harm you."

Agree with all that Mel posted but wanted to touch on this^^^. This is just crap IMO. You don't know if the other person harmed you because "they were in great pain of their own." Some people are are just messed up, selfish and don't care...their supposed pain has nothing to do with it. And even if they were in some sort of pain, depending on the severity of the hurt/damage they inflicted, I wouldn't care about their pain. It would be an excuse.

This makes the assumption that all people are decent. Some aren't.

Last edited by black_raven; 01/09/15 08:55 PM.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
M
M
]
But for you, and for you only, it is important to let them know that you understand that the only reason they did the thing they did was because they were in great pain of their own.

This is a psychobabble illusion that enablers concoct to make it easier to accept the unacceptable. Misplaced compassion gives power to evil.

Exposure 101

I
I
The OP should become a distant memory if you heal properly.

Im always highly suspicious of the advice to forge a forgiving relationship with a stranger.

Now in my case, she was a good friend, but obviously she is a stranger today.

I don't give any more thought to her sins (which I hope are over) than I do the sins of many other strangers in the world. Indeed any dwelling WOULD keep hate alive.

It's crazy to suggest the victim has any responsibility. It's the sinners responibilty to find forgiveness.

The web is alive with this kind of victim blaming hokum and it is repulsive.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

F
OP Offline
F

Originally Posted by indiegirl
The OP should become a distant memory if you heal properly.

Im always highly suspicious of the advice to forge a forgiving relationship with a stranger.

Now in my case, she was a good friend, but obviously she is a stranger today.

Well I should point out that in this case the OW was a best friend as well.

Last edited by FightTheFight; 01/10/15 09:06 AM. Reason: Added quote

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
This premise misses the whole dynamic of an affair. That would be like telling an alcoholic to just "get over" his alcohol addiction and keep drinking. An affair is an addiction just the same as alcohol. So seeing the OW every day is the same as having a drink. Living in the same neighborhood is the equivalence of going into the bar every day, so the affair is top of mind at all times. That is the greatest problem with living right by an OP.

In the case we are talking about, the WH is a serial cheat. He is out trolling for trouble. What happens is he trash talks his W to other women (and everybody else apparently) and uses that as an "in" with these other women. I don't think it really matters who actually which makes me wonder if this particular woman even matters at all as far as he is concerned.

Originally Posted by MelodyLane
far as the BS experience, it would be like living next to your rapist. Every day you would be reminded of your rape. Adultery is a greater crime, of course, so the reminder would be worse. All the fake "forgiveness" will not wipe out one's bad memories.

This is the part that I was wondering about in this thread. People convince themselves of all sorts of stuff. I'm just wondering if they actually truly believe it if it works just because of that. There is all sorts of examples out there of that kind of thing. Waco Texas comes to mind.

Last edited by FightTheFight; 01/10/15 09:14 AM.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
F
OP Offline
F
Would it be OK to post the link to the article I'm talking about? I don't mean for it to be authoritative. It just sounds so good when laid out like that and wanted to examine it.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
F
OP Offline
F
Nevermind. I haven't been modded yet so if this is against the TOS I apologize.

Healing from Emotional Triggers

Last edited by FightTheFight; 01/10/15 09:34 AM.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
I
I
]
Originally Posted by Pepperband
Firstly- we suffered no FR. That is critical, IMO.
Secondly- Mr Pep stopped his EA/PA on the day of discovery and went to the OWH in person to confess & apologize (with me by his side).
Thirdly- Mr Pep immediately stopped drinking and started going to AA (still goes, 16.5 years later)

These circumstances made it possible for me to even consider recovery. I had less to resent than many on this forum. Of this, I am fully aware & grateful.

So, you cannot really "compare" recovery timelines with mine.

I will answer your question like this:

Imagine your resentment is a mountain. The size of your mountain is bigger than mine was. Yes? With me so far?

How do you make that mountain go away? It's a damn mountain, after all !
You make it "disappear" from your reality by walking away. It gets smaller with every step, but it might not seem like it is any smaller for quite awhile, because it is such a large mountain.

Eventually, you will notice, when you look behind you, the mountain appears smaller as it lowers on the horizon.

One day, you won't be able to see it.
You know it is there, but instead of choosing to walk towards it to see it again, you keep walking away.

I hope this visual helps.

Your time line will depend on how big your mountain is, and how much you walk in the opposite direction.

Of course, if your spouse piles more resentments on the mountain, it grows.

I
I
You walk away! Forgiveness involves walking TOWARDS.

I
I
Dear darling Pep's wisdom got me out of resentment's shadow. To her mountain analogy a few years back I posted
Originally Posted by indiegirl
I haven't suffered as much as some people, but I do know what BS pain feels like and I could NEVER have imagined it.

If I thought about it at all, I assumed a Betrayed Version of Me, (BVoM) would be a sort of Beyonce video, throwing his bags out the door and assuring him I could 'get another you in a minute'

Then kicking back with friends and laughing his lying [censored].

Then I would come back with a bump to 'reality' and realise my H would NEVER do that to me and I didn't really have to worry about it.

I had no idea that the real BVoM would take nearly a year to limp away from pain that felt PHYSICAL. Like a rusty knife in the gut. I'd had no idea that emotional pain could manifest physically. That it would make me cry out like a wounded thing.

So I'm not sure how a wayward could know that.

Nevertheless they DO KNOW it will hurt. And consider it worth the price of getting what thay want.

I'm a year out and I can honestly say I'm not resentful.

I can still see the mountain, but it doesn't loom. I am not in its shadow.

I don't hate and resent my H. I hope he becomes a good person on his own, after I move on.

Instead of resentment, I am moved to pity for the day he sees the mountain he created is casting a shadow so dark that nothing grows in his life.

I wonder how he will free himself from that darkness. But I have.

Originally Posted by Pepperband
And this is why YOU, Indiana Jones, are a MB success story !!!!!
hurray

I don't miss thinking about the inner workings of OWs heart at all (would you bother for a house burglar? Or just move to a safer neighbourhood?)

But I do miss Pep and her wealth of experience.

F
OP Offline
F
Haha. I just got some insight into your user name. It just so happens we are watching Raiders of the Lost Ark this morning. smile

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
S
S
Would it be OK to post the link to the article I'm talking about? I don't mean for it to be authoritative. It just sounds so good when laid out like that and wanted to examine it.
FTF, is this really the article you were talking about? It talks about "deep healing" - is it the one you intended? Is it meant to be read in conjunction with other articles? It does not mention the things you have raised here.

I think the one linked is terrible! It is the usual psychobabble about deep introspection, and the advice comes without any reason for why it is being suggested.

"From here you begin to repeat the process of asking how do I feel and why do I feel that way, about every emotion, reason, and new trigger that comes up as an answer.

This seems like a lot of work, and it is at first, but eventually you get really efficient at it and no longer even need to make note of every step. You also may eventually find that there are a lot less common denominators than you even realized. You might be triggered 50 ways by the same fundamental open wound.

A lot of people like to write a classic web, or flow chart, or write a journal or just take point form notes to complete this process. You can do whatever method works for you as long as you allow this process to take as much natural time as it needs. You might spend months pondering why you have a certain reaction. Or you might find that several answers come at once like falling dominoes. Allow the process to take the time it needs and allow yourself to stop and take a break from it if you become overwhelmed."

You're not seriously suggesting that this has any role to play I recovery from an affair, are you, FTF? People need to think about why they are triggered when they bump into someone with OP's name? They need to write a flow chart of complete a journal to get to the the root of the trigger? Seriously?

FTF, I know you know better than this! Why would you recommend this nonsense - from a "spiritual seeker" and stand-up comedian?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
F
OP Offline
F
I certainly don't endorse the article. And I did zero research on the author. It was just at the top of the Google search I did. But it seemed to be in line with the type of advice being offered to the poster in question. Please don't think I believe this stuff. Recommended? Hardly.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
S
S
I certainly don't endorse the article. And I did zero research on the author. It was just at the top of the Google search I did. But it seemed to be in line with the type of advice being offered to the poster in question. Please don't think I believe this stuff. Recommended? Hardly.
This part (underlined) I just don't see. I don't see any similarity between the advice anywhere on this forum and that article, which is what made me ask whether you linked the correct one.

By discussing it and saying that it was similar to advice offered to a poster here, it sounded as if you were saying you were pleasantly surprised - but I apologise if I've misrepresented your position.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,139 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation