Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
S
These points:

Originally Posted by FightTheFight
The final step in the process described was :

�Forgive the other participant(s)
�Forgive yourself for your original role in your pain
�Forgive yourself for perpetuating your pain

One quote was this:

"
Every moment that you do not forgive them for what they did is a moment where you allow them to hold power over you. You do not have to begin to like them, you do not have to invite them back into your life.

But for you, and for you only, it is important to let them know that you understand that the only reason they did the thing they did was because they were in great pain of their own. Let them know that you understand that they have work to do on forgiving themselves so that they can one day be free of the pain that caused them to harm you."
...did not appear in the article you linked, so I am still puzzled about that.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by SugarCane
This part (underlined) I just don't see. I don't see any similarity between the advice anywhere on this forum and that article, which is what made me ask whether you linked the correct one.

By discussing it and saying that it was similar to advice offered to a poster here, it sounded as if you were saying you were pleasantly surprised - but I apologise if I've misrepresented your position.

Oh I see the confusion. I didn't mean advice offered here. I meant advice offered by their MC.

Me (42)
Her (43) - feuillecouleur

DS(11)
DD(7)

Married: June 24, 2000

Recovered
M
M
In the case we are talking about, the WH is a serial cheat. He is out trolling for trouble. What happens is he trash talks his W to other women (and everybody else apparently) and uses that as an "in" with these other women. I don't think it really matters who actually which makes me wonder if this particular woman even matters at all as far as he is concerned.

So we already know that he is tempted when around this woman, so that is the first thing that should be removed from his life. If I am an alcoholic who is tempted by gin and marijuana, I should avoid those things.

Originally Posted by Melodylane
far as the BS experience, it would be like living next to your rapist. Every day you would be reminded of your rape. Adultery is a greater crime, of course, so the reminder would be worse. All the fake "forgiveness" will not wipe out one's bad memories.

This is the part that I was wondering about in this thread. People convince themselves of all sorts of stuff. I'm just wondering if they actually truly believe it if it works just because of that. There is all sorts of examples out there of that kind of thing. Waco Texas comes to mind. [/quote]

I don't think Dr Harley has any motive to "convince" himself of anything. His advice is based on clinical experience. This was also the conclusion of studies cited in "One Nation under Therapy."

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
FTF, I can see where you are going here. Either you are trying to get our help in fighting the nonsense coming from HeartLost's "marriage counselor" or you agree with her, I am not sure which. The bottom line is that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. I predict she will have to hit bottom in order to get it.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
FTF, I can see where you are going here. Either you are trying to get our help in fighting the nonsense coming from HeartLost's "marriage counselor" or you agree with her, I am not sure which. The bottom line is that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. I predict she will have to hit bottom in order to get it.

You're on to me. wink I certainly don't agree with the article cited or the advice being spouted by this councelor. And I have no professional training myself of course. So I defer to the expert. I admit I'm a Dr Harley fan boy. smile I just want to be able to argue these points from a place of strength. I really do enjoy talking about and refining my own knowledge regarding marital relationships.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
F
OP Offline
F
.The bottom line is that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. I predict she will have to hit bottom in order to get it.

My persistence makes me very good at my professional career. I'll admit it sometimes gets me I to trouble otherwise. wink

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
M
M

You're on to me. wink I certainly don't agree with the article cited or the advice being spouted by this councelor. And I have no professional training myself of course. So I defer to the expert. I admit I'm a Dr Harley fan boy. smile I just want to be able to argue these points from a place of strength. I really do enjoy talking about and refining my own knowledge regarding marital relationships.

Gotcha! Did you read my explanation about the addiction aspect? This is what the MC is missing. The MC doesn't understand the addiction aspect of affairs and also has a strange view about forgiveness versus forgetting.

Like i said above, I can chant "I forgive....." over and over again, it won't erase an addiction and it won't erase the memory of the tragedy of the past. I wonder if the MC would recommend this method to rape victims and suggest they maintain contact with their rapist? That not only keeps the tragedy top of mind, but invites more rapes. That is what this couple is doing.

Exposure 101

F
OP Offline
F
Well I certainly understand the rape analogy. But I do struggle with defending the addiction aspect of it. There was very little connection with this woman in particular. As a BS, I can certainly see how in time the triggers associated with even driving by her street are enough of a reason to get out of town. But I fail at convincing that this woman in particular is a threat.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
M
M
Well I certainly understand the rape analogy. But I do struggle with defending the addiction aspect of it. There was very little connection with this woman in particular. As a BS, I can certainly see how in time the triggers associated with even driving by her street are enough of a reason to get out of town. But I fail at convincing that this woman in particular is a threat.

The addiction aspect applies to the WS, not the BS.

Exposure 101

F
OP Offline
F

The addiction aspect applies to the WS, not the BS.

I understand that part. I'm just not personally convinced he's necessarily addicted to this woman in particular. This is a guy out trolling. I get the impression she's just one of many.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
M
M
[

I understand that part. I'm just not personally convinced he's necessarily addicted to this woman in particular. This is a guy out trolling. I get the impression she's just one of many.

The key thing to remember is that this affair with this woman has almost destroyed his marriage. Splitting hairs about the depth of his feelings does not remove the temptation that led to the affair in the first place. That is a very dangerous risk to take. Instead of minimizing and ignoring the risk, the safest path is to REMOVE the risk.

Exposure 101

M
M
[

That doesn't mean that previous OP's are not a risk, it just means that a more global approach is necessary for recovery.

i am concerned that you are telling this poor BS that "you are not convinced" that this woman in particular is a risk. That is probably why she doesnt see the risk herself. Your powers of persuasion are not being used in her best interest.

Are you telling her you are not convinced this OW is a threat to her marriage? Is that why she is so averse to taking Dr. Harley's advice?

Exposure 101

M
M
]
i am concerned that you are telling this poor BS that "you are not convinced" that this woman in particular is a risk. That is probably why she doesnt see the risk herself. Your powers of persuasion are not being used in her best interest.

Are you telling her you are not convinced this OW is a threat to her marriage? Is that why she is so averse to taking Dr. Harley's advice?

Is this why we are having to spend our free time having this discussion? Because you don't believe Dr. Harley?

Exposure 101

F
OP Offline
F
No I've removed myself from giving advice once again until I'm asked again when all this blows up. I figure it will take about a year or so. Maybe less maybe more.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
F
OP Offline
F
I will say that I'm totally flabbergasted by the response of this BS though. She is pretty consistent in her position that she is not bothered at all by the OW. Just today, as predicted, another neighbor mentioned the OW in conversation and she said she wasn't the slightest bit affected by it. I think it bothered me more than anyone present to be honest.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
M
M
I will say that I'm totally flabbergasted by the response of this BS though. She is pretty consistent in her position that she is not bothered at all by the OW. Just today, as predicted, another neighbor mentioned the OW in conversation and she said she wasn't the slightest bit affected by it. I think it bothered me more than anyone present to be honest.

It doesn't flabbergast me at all. She will say or do anything to justify not moving. So sad to see where she is headed. frown

Exposure 101

M
M
If her husband is a serial cheater, how much sense does it make to live next door to a woman who will cheat with him? That is like the alcoholic sitting in the bar all day tempting fate. Sure, the alcoholic can go find alcohol anywhere, anytime, but if the opportunity is sitting right before him every day he will be more likely to drink again.

Exposure 101

F
OP Offline
F
I know. I guess we'll see what happens in this particular situation. I know what's likely. frown

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
C
C
Even though veteran posters here (Mel, Glove Oil, Sugar Cane) explained to me about the nature of my fWH's addiction, I did not get it. I had zero experience with any kind of addiction, too. And, that my fWH could lie to my face for 5 months during our FR, was incomprehensible to me.
I think it is fairly easy for a BS to deny to themselves that their WS is not acting sanely. Especially when BS's are under the extreme stress of newly discovered A's.
Not excusing this poster, just saying she doesn't see it. She believes her (lying, cheating, gaslighting) WH that he has no feelings for this OW.

Me: BW, 57 fWH: 63 (Taffy1) Serial cheater
Presently on the Recovery Road, in the Online program.
H
H
My husband is far from and serial cheater, he also is not out here trolling. He has not had sex with any other women the 15 years we have been together. How I know is because we have lived together for 15 years and worked together, same schedule for most of them years. We have never gone out separate. We don't and have never been a party couple. When I busted the affair the husband of the other women even said " I know my wife is the one who approach your husband". I already knew that because he's never approached women. He didn't even approach me when we first got together. It didn't matter to me though who approached who because it doesn't hurt any less. You guys are more than welcome to continue and bash my husband because I will not move. You guys are absolutely nothing to me and do not know us personally. You can try and predict the future all you would like. I thank God I don't know any of you guys in real life! I do know fight the fight and I am actually extremely upset that he would even get on here and try and make my husband out to be something he absolutely is not. My god, he had an affair and is extremely remorseful and knows that if it happens again that he will lose his family. I will not try again. He will even loose his job because they say "if your wife can't trust you then how in the hell are we supposed to trust you running our business". there has been many many people there loose their job over an affair. They don't allow it. And if you know my husband there is only 2 things that would hurt him the most and that would be to loose his family and his job that he absolutely loves.

Last edited by HeartBrokenlost; 01/11/15 12:01 AM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 914 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation