Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2845035 02/26/15 01:54 PM
G
OP Offline
G
I'm looking for advice in avoiding love busters in my marriage. I have a list of the things my wife finds annoying and would love some input.

1. Probably the biggest thing is when I don't like something or we disagree I roll my eyes. This has been an annoying habit I have had for years.
2. She has told me that we don't do enough fun things together and we stay in the house to much.
3. Our conversation is lacking and would love some advice on that.
4. I come off as judgmental sometimes without knowing.
5. I need to be more open with my feelings

Would love any advice or suggestions, thanks!

M
M
Hi Ghen!! I would start by reading the book Lovebusters. [you can download it to your computer. Most people don't even realize when they make lovebusters so it will be a real eye opener for you. It sounds like you are aware of some of your lovebusters so that is a good start.

Another great resource is the MB radio show which plays all the time. It is live once a day, but you can download the app [its free] and listen anytime on your phone or an ipad. I listen to it on my way home from the office every day.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

P
P
1. Probably the biggest thing is when I don't like something or we disagree I roll my eyes. This has been an annoying habit I have had for years.
This is also a disrespectful judgement.

2. She has told me that we don't do enough fun things together and we stay in the house to much.
This is a big complaint for a lot of wives. Read up on Undivided Attention (UA) time. This program requires that you take your wife out on dates 4 times a week, for a minimum of 15 hours total. You'll probably want more time than that to start.

Investigate your wife. Ask her questions to learn more about her, questions about her past, what's going on today, and what'd she'd like to do in the future.

Disrespectful Judgements are very tricky to notice in ourselves. Get the book Lovebusters and read through the Disrespectful Judgement chapter. Also start listening to the radio show. Try to figure out when another couple is being disrespectful to each other -- it is often easier to notice in other people before we can start noticing in ourselves.

Get in the habit of using phrases like "How would you feel about ..."

5. I need to be more open with my feelings
Women typically need Openness and Honesty from their husbands. She'll feel neglected if you do not share your thoughts and feelings with her. Read the Openness and Honesty chapter in His Needs, Her Needs.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

M
M
Originally Posted by Ghen1221

Ask her to keep a written list of things you say that she feels are judgmental or disrespectful, and to give you that list once a day. Don't have a conversation with her about the list until you've posted it here and discussed it with us and understand why she feels you were judgmental or disrespectful.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M

Dr. Harley recommends that you sit down together as a couple every Sunday afternoon and plan fifteen hours of fun things to do together in the coming week, outside of the house.

Dr. Harley also says it's very important to get out of the house, because most husbands when they stay home will give some of their attention to things that need doing around the house and will thus take some of that attention away from their wife.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M

Get the book His Needs Her Needs and read the chapter on conversation. Dr. Harley lists four friends of good conversation for you to practice, and four enemies of good conversation for you to avoid (AT ALL COSTS). You can read a bit about these here:

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi5056_qa.html

I suggest reading through the four friends and enemies daily to keep yourself reminded of them. Spend fifteen hours a week together and during that time practice engaging in the four friends and avoiding the four enemies.

G
OP Offline
G
Thanks for all the advice! I just got his needs her needs and plan on picking up a few other of his books this week.

I
I
Getting out of the house as Dr H recommends (women by far need this the most) will create natural opportunities for conversation.

Then you can be more open about your feelings by telling her about your childhood, your daily interactions and your hopes and dreams for the future.

What kinds of things might she enjoy doing?

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

B
B

Keep eye contact with her or keep looking at what is directly in front of you so that you don't let your eyes roll. You need to be mindful of this and make it a habit with everyone you speak to not just your wife.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
C
C
A great way to get in the habit of being open and honest is to tell you wife two things that happened to you that day, and how you felt about them. To start, make them about things not specifically in your relationship. Maybe an event at work, or that you read online. This will get you in the habit of opening up to your wife, about what your life is like, and how you relate to things.

And practice keeping eye contact (with a pleasant expression on your face, not a staring, scary face!) Spouses can very easily get in the habit of looking elsewhere, which allows distractions to interfere. Even if you aren't distracted while talking to your wife, she will feel that you are....

Me: BW, 57 fWH: 63 (Taffy1) Serial cheater
Presently on the Recovery Road, in the Online program.
G
OP Offline
G
Thanks for all the great ideas!

Thanks catwhit, that does seem like a good place to start talking more and opening up. I usually keep good eye contact but I could definitely do better to let her know she has my undevided attention.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 653 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation