Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
A
A
At least now you can deal with the real issues. Go check out the Surviving An Affair forum. There are many threads to give you hope!

L
L
Originally Posted by Texan44
I am completely devastated. I hacked my wife's iMessage and routed it to my iPad and she has indeed been having a long distance EA. Some guy she met on a plane last time she went to visit her mom. 10 years younger. Nothing physical has happened because he is 2000 miles away. I told her she didn't have to leave the house but if she stayed she had to break it off right now in front of me, delete his info, and block the number from the phone. She complied but then told me she was going to shut down so we will both be miserable and depressed. She is downstairs crying. I don't even know what to feel. I still want to save our marriage but I don't think she even cares at this point. I feel empty. She says she doesn't think she is meant to be married. Everything I saw as hope was an absolute lie to keep me in the dark on her part.

I'm so sorry, Texan. You have done the right thing by snooping and discovering crucial information you needed to move forward. When you say she broke it off, does that mean she wrote a No Contact letter? No Contact Letters

Here's what needs to happen:

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley, Surviving an Affair
From Surviving an Affair, pg 66-67

The extraordinary precautions do more than end marriage-threatening affairs; they help a couple form the kind of relationship they always wanted.

These recommendations may seem rigid, unnecessarily confining, and even paranoid to those who have not been the victim of infidelity. But people like Sue and Jon, who have suffered unimaginable pain as a result of an affair that spun out of control, can easily see their value. For the inconvenience of following my advice, Sue would have spared herself and Jon the very worst experience of their lives.

Checklist for How Affairs Should End

_____The unfaithful spouse should reveal information about the affair to the betrayed spouse.

_____The unfaithful spouse should make a commitment to the betrayed spouse to never see or talk to the lover OP again.

_____The unfaithful spouse should write a letter to the lover OP ending the relationship and send it with the approval of the betrayed spouse.

_____The unfaithful spouse should take extraordinary precautions to guarantee total separation from the lover OP:

_____Block potential communication with the lover OP (change e-mail address and home and cell phone numbers, and close all social networking accounts; have voice messages and mail monitored by the betrayed spouse).

_____Account for time (betrayed spouse and wayward spouse give each other a twenty-four-hour daily schedule with locations and telephone numbers).

_____Account for money (betrayed spouse and wayward spouse give each other a complete account of all money spent).

_____Spend leisure time together.

_____Change jobs and relocate if necessary.

_____Avoid overnight separation.

_____Allow technical accountability.

_____ Expose affair to family members, clergy, and/or friends.

Go to the top thread of the Surviving an Affair forum and start reading. You are in Plan A. As a man in Plan A, make sure you have eliminated ALL love busters. Don't threaten to kick her out of the house and don't move out yourself. Stay put and try meeting any of her emotional needs she allows.

She's going to be depressed and withdrawn and angry. She will feel better if she can get to a doctor for ADs. Be very patient and kind through this time.

Also, Dr. Harley would tell you that you don't HAVE to save your marriage and that he would completely understand if you sought a divorce instead of trying to recover after infidelity. Howver, if you want to save your marriage, MB is the way to go. If you follow this plan and can eventually invite your wife to join you, your marriage will recover and be great - much better than before.

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Recovered thanks to Marriage Builders
W
W
Im so sorry Texan44. Im glad you know now, but sorry it had to happen like that. please follow the plan here. You CAN recover your marriage. She's saying the same exact things every other wayward says. I promise you, that.

BW-27
FWH-31
DS-6
Married several years
D-Day- 11/22/13
Plan A+Exposure
NC+Beginning of Recovery-04/2014

In Recovery and happier and more in love than ever
M
M
Texan, I'm sorry this has happened, but I am glad you have found out the truth.

Be sure not to order your wife around during this time. Just tell her honestly how much her affair hurts you and let her know that any continued contact with the OM or repeat of the circumstances that led to her affair will be unbearably painful to you.

Quietly and simply inform her family, your family, and anybody else important in her life about the affair. Also, reveal the affair to the OMs wife and family (track them down if necessary). Then, contact the OM and demand that he never see or talk to your wife again.

Meanwhile, I suggest you watch this video, with your wife if she will watch it with you, and get ahold of the book Surviving an Affair.

Infidelity: What Every Couple Should Know

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
And Texan, whatever you do, do not fight with her. Do not become demanding, disrespectful, or angry toward her. If you don't want to stay married to her any more, that is fine, but for your sake, don't fight with her about it. If you decide that is what you want, just see an attorney, arrange a quick divorce, and don't see or talk to her any more.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
R
R
I am completely devastated. I hacked my wife's iMessage and routed it to my iPad and she has indeed been having a long distance EA. Some guy she met on a plane last time she went to visit her mom. 10 years younger. Nothing physical has happened because he is 2000 miles away. I told her she didn't have to leave the house but if she stayed she had to break it off right now in front of me, delete his info, and block the number from the phone. She complied but then told me she was going to shut down so we will both be miserable and depressed. She is downstairs crying. I don't even know what to feel. I still want to save our marriage but I don't think she even cares at this point. I feel empty. She says she doesn't think she is meant to be married. Everything I saw as hope was an absolute lie to keep me in the dark on her part.

Texan, I am so sorry. There are so many people here that know exactly what you are going through. If you go back and read the first few replies to your original post, you will see that all the signs were there. When the members of this forum read a story like yours, they instantly see the red flags. Your wife was so disconnected, that it was plain to see her emotional needs were being met by another man.

The good news is the good members of this forum have helped many BS�s recover their marriages, and turn them into marriages that you never thought could be possible. Please listen to what they advise you to do, especially a full and complete exposure, on both sides. Looking back to last summer, I think I could have potentially lost everything if I had not exposed my wife�s affair. Do not cut corners, and think your situation is unique and different. All affairs are the same, and they thrive on addiction. Without full exposure, your wife will be right back at it.

B
B
Is the OM married? When will you be exposing?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

P
P
So sorry to hear this, Texan frown
But I'm not surprised. She seemed wayward to me.

Don't disappear -- stick around. We can help you. Many here have been there, and have followed this program to achieve wonderfully recovered marriages.

And others have followed this program to achieve wonderful self-recoveries without their waywards.

Either way, we can help.

Either way you choose, you need to read this link:
Exposure 101

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

P
P
And listen to markos. Don't order your wife around. I know it feels natural and right, but you can't afford any lovebusters at this point.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

T
Texan44 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
We talked until 4 in the morning. I told her that I still have not completely given up, but I cannot right now get around the infidelity. She showed me the note she wrote the guy. Something like "My husband now knows we have been talking and under these circumstances we can't continue talking. I am so sorry." The showed me deleting his history, contact info, etc. She has promised me that she will not contact him again, and will show me and delete any further messages the guy sends. As of yet the only message I saw him send was "wait, what?" then nothing. I have told her that unless she can commit to therapy and a real plan we cannot continue. I just can't relive cheating again. She told me over the course of the night that it had been many more times than the 1 she ever told me about, which was my fear. I still love her but she needs serious help. I am so sad and yet I am relieved that this was revealed. I didn't order, I gave her choices and although I know she felt pressured she chose to break it off. At this point the little hope I still feel is the source of most of my pain.

I know that she is hurt, in pain, shocked, depressed, all of the above. I am too. Just trying to keep it together for my son. We have both agreed that it is too early to have any talks with him or my oldest. I will try my best to be there for her needs and not bust up what is left.

Last edited by Texan44; 02/27/15 03:49 PM.
B
B
Is the OM married?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

B
B
I just can't relive cheating again. She told me over the course of the night that it had been many more times than the 1 she ever told me about, which was my fear.

What do you mean by this^^^^? Another affair or she admitted to a PA with this guy (had sex with him more than once)?

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
B
B
We have both agreed that it is too early to have any talks with him or my oldest.

This is a grave mistake. Your boys are not stupid and will notice things are not right in your house. Please tell them what is going on before you make them confused and more worried.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
P
P
Have you exposed this affair to friends and family? It also needs to be exposed to any children 4 and older. Did you read the exposure link I gave you?

Get Surviving An Affair (SAA) ASAP. You can buy it and download it off of amazon. Start reading it.

LongWayFromHome gave you the checklist you will need from SAA. Start going down the list.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

I
I
We talked until 4 in the morning. I told her that I still have not completely given up, but I cannot right now get around the infidelity. She showed me the note she wrote the guy. Something like "My husband now knows we have been talking and under these circumstances we can't continue talking. I am so sorry."

Good grief that's a clear message that she is going to 'manage' you before resuming.

I know that she is hurt, in pain, shocked, depressed,

ALL cheaters do. It's an addiction and a miserable, irrational state.

Just trying to keep it together for my son. We have both agreed that it is too early to have any talks with him or my oldest. I will try my best to be there for her needs and not bust up what is left.

PLEASE do not lie to them and allow them to blame themselves for the now unmistakable tension in your home.

You have no idea what they have seen over the years and you all need to know what's going on as you wrench her free.

Facing her children may be the only thing able to save her.

Never seen it done without that step.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

L
L
We talked until 4 in the morning. I told her that I still have not completely given up, but I cannot right now get around the infidelity. She showed me the note she wrote the guy. Something like "My husband now knows we have been talking and under these circumstances we can't continue talking. I am so sorry." The showed me deleting his history, contact info, etc. She has promised me that she will not contact him again, and will show me and delete any further messages the guy sends. As of yet the only message I saw him send was "wait, what?" then nothing. I have told her that unless she can commit to therapy and a real plan we cannot continue. I just can't relive cheating again. She told me over the course of the night that it had been many more times than the 1 she ever told me about, which was my fear. I still love her but she needs serious help. I am so sad and yet I am relieved that this was revealed. I didn't order, I gave her choices and although I know she felt pressured she chose to break it off. At this point the little hope I still feel is the source of most of my pain.

I know that she is hurt, in pain, shocked, depressed, all of the above. I am too. Just trying to keep it together for my son. We have both agreed that it is too early to have any talks with him or my oldest. I will try my best to be there for her needs and not bust up what is left.

Your wife has poor boundaries around men, and that's why she has affairs. It's a bit rarer for a person to actually go and SEEK affairs. If she's actually trolling for affairs, she would have to drastically change her lifestyle to make affairs virtually impossible. However, most affairs happen because a spouse has poor boundaries and allows another person to meet their emotional needs. She doesn't need therapy for this. She needs to institute Extraordinary Precautions for the rest of her life. And so do you.

You should sit down with your children as soon as possible, without your wife, and tell them what's been going on. You don't have to go into gory details. Just tell them that you have just discovered that their mother has been having affairs but that they will be okay and cared for, that you love them.

Your wife must disclose to you the people with whom she had affairs: who they were, where she met them, the nature of the affair. She needs to eliminate every condition of the affairs.

Exposure is very important now. Your close friends and family and clergy should all know so they can hold her accountable and to support you in what will turn out to be one of the most painful and difficult times in your life.

Definitely find out as much as you can about this OM, and any others, and expose to his family and friends, ESPECIALLY to his spouse, if married.

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Recovered thanks to Marriage Builders
T
Texan44 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Is the OM married?
No. At least she says no.

P
P
You need to find out and not just take her word for it.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

T
Texan44 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by black_raven
I just can't relive cheating again. She told me over the course of the night that it had been many more times than the 1 she ever told me about, which was my fear.

What do you mean by this^^^^? Another affair or she admitted to a PA with this guy (had sex with him more than once)?

I mean that 6 or 7 years ago she came to me and confessed to an affair. It put our marriage in serious harm and through some counseling we were able to decide to try to move past it. Through time, prayer, and lots of patience and love we got back on track. It was an online EA that culminated in 1 night physical affair(guy lived in England). This is the only one she ever told me about but last night admitted to more before the one I knew about (didn't give me a number) and 1 between that and now that she said lasted a month. This floored me. This last one was purely EA and only 1 month (until last nights confrontation)

M
M
Texan, it is great that you have the truth out in the open. Your situation demonstrates what happens when couples don't affair proof their marriages after an affair, they experience more affairs in the future. I can't count the couples who have come back on this forum after ignoring the basic steps for recovery with repeat affairs. But you don't have to be like that if you follow these steps.

From Surviving an Affair, pg 66-67

The extraordinary precautions do more than end marriage-threatening affairs; they help a couple form the kind of relationship they always wanted.

These recommendations may seem rigid, unnecessarily confining, and even paranoid to those who have not been the victim of infidelity. But people like Sue and Jon, who have suffered unimaginable pain as a result of an affair that spun out of control, can easily see their value. For the inconvenience of following my advice, Sue would have spared herself and Jon the very worst experience of their lives.

Checklist for How Affairs Should End

_____The unfaithful spouse should reveal information about the affair to the betrayed spouse.

_____The unfaithful spouse should make a commitment to the betrayed spouse to never see or talk to the lover OP again.

_____The unfaithful spouse should write a letter to the lover OP ending the relationship and send it with the approval of the betrayed spouse.

_____The unfaithful spouse should take extraordinary precautions to guarantee total separation from the lover OP:

_____Block potential communication with the lover OP (change e-mail address and home and cell phone numbers, and close all social networking accounts; have voice messages and mail monitored by the betrayed spouse).

_____Account for time (betrayed spouse and wayward spouse give each other a twenty-four-hour daily schedule with locations and telephone numbers).

_____Account for money (betrayed spouse and wayward spouse give each other a complete account of all money spent).

_____Spend leisure time together.

_____Change jobs and relocate if necessary.

_____Avoid overnight separation.

_____Allow technical accountability.

_____ Expose affair to family members, clergy, and/or friends.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 369 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation