Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
M
M
Originally Posted by Texan44
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Is the OM married?
No. At least she says no.

You need to find out - on your own - who he is and if he is married. The affair should be exposed to his spouse and his family. Does he have a Facebook account?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

P
P
Your marriage has never recovered from her previous affairs. Extraordinary Precautions were never put into place, and Just Compensation was never received.

You could still recover your marriage if you want to, by using this program and following the checklist. Your marriage could become affair-proof and deeply romantic and fulfilling for both of you.

Do you want to recover at this point? Or do you want divorce?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

P
P
How old are your children?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

B
B
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Is the OM married?

You need to find out - on your own - who he is and if he is married. The affair should be exposed to his spouse and his family. Does he have a Facebook account?
Exactly. You need to be finding this guy's family and expose him.

You've never exposed any of your WW's past affairs and so do the right thing this time.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

M
M
]
Just trying to keep it together for my son. We have both agreed that it is too early to have any talks with him or my oldest. I will try my best to be there for her needs and not bust up what is left.

i would start here by exposing the affair to any children over age 4. Your children should not be given false explanations for the source of tension in their home. That only confuses them and teaches them that lying is acceptable.

Dr. Harley on telling the children:

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley
The same can be said about telling children about an affair. My experience with the positive outcomes of hundreds of families where an affair has been exposed to children has led me to encourage a betrayed spouse not to fear such exposure. In fact, to mislead children, giving other false explanations as to why their parents are not getting along, causes children to be very confused. When they finally discover the truth, it sets an example to children that dishonesty is sometimes acceptable, making them the judge of when that might occur.

An affair is an attack on children as well as the betrayed spouse. And it's true that children are deeply affected by this form of irresponsible behavior. But it's the act of infidelity that causes children to suffer, not the exposure of it. Facts point us toward solutions. Illusion leads us astray. That's true for children as well as adults.
here

Q: So, you do suggest telling our 10 year old son? Is this more than he can handle? He never saw any real unhappiness as my husband and I had a very low conflict marriage. I have been protecting our son from this truth. He still has hope that his dad is going to come home.
A: As for your son, the truth will come out eventually, even if you get back together again. And your son won't be emotionally crippled if he hears the truth. It's lies and deception that cripple children. He should know that your husband is choosing his lover over his son's mother. It's a fact. He's willing to ruin a family unit all for what.

When I first started recommending openness about an affair, I wasn't sure what would happen. But I did it because I knew it was the right thing to do. Now I know that for most couples it marks the beginning of recovery.

The reason that children should know about an affair is that exposing it to the light of day (letting everyone know), helps give the unfaithful spouse a dose of reality. An affair thrives on illusion, and whatever a betrayed spouse can do to eliminate the illusion is justifiable. Mold doesn't grow well in sunlight.
here

Q. How honest should I be about the A? (they are 7 and under)

A. Tell your children as much as you can about their father's affair, and how it affects you. There are some counselors and lawyers that strongly disagree with me on this issue, but I have maintained that position for over 35 years without any evidence that children are hurt by it. They're hurt by the affair, not by accurate information regarding the affair. Just make sure that you don't combine accurate information with disrespectful judgments. For example, you can say that the OW has taken their father away from you, but you should not say that she is home-wrecker (or worse).
here

My basic approach to life is that radical honesty is valuable on many different dimensions. It keeps us out of trouble, it helps others understand us, and it helps others avoid the same mistakes we have made. Letting your children know the details of your husband's affair would help them in all three areas.

The more your children know about your husband's affair, the more careful he will be to avoid them in the future.

The more your children know about his affair, the more they will understand what you are going through in your recovery (by the way, you are doing very well -- keep up the good work!).

Being radically honest about your husband's affair with your children would also help them avoid affairs themselves. How it happened and how could it have been prevented is a great object lesson for children. I learned that I was vulnerable for an affair when I learned about my grandfather's affairs. The extraordinary precautions I've taken were directly related to what I learned about him.

It's the approach I've always taken, and while it's difficult, especially for the WS, there's much more upside to it than downside.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

L
L
Originally Posted by black_raven
I just can't relive cheating again. She told me over the course of the night that it had been many more times than the 1 she ever told me about, which was my fear.

What do you mean by this^^^^? Another affair or she admitted to a PA with this guy (had sex with him more than once)?

I mean that 6 or 7 years ago she came to me and confessed to an affair. It put our marriage in serious harm and through some counseling we were able to decide to try to move past it. Through time, prayer, and lots of patience and love we got back on track. It was an online EA that culminated in 1 night physical affair(guy lived in England). This is the only one she ever told me about but last night admitted to more before the one I knew about (didn't give me a number) and 1 between that and now that she said lasted a month. This floored me. This last one was purely EA and only 1 month (until last nights confrontation)

Are you going to follow the Exact Precise steps now, or try to piecemeal a recovery plan between you and your serial affair Wayward Wife?

Following precisely means that YOU find out on your own about the OM and see if he is married and expose to his wife.

Also, YOU, by yourself inform your children.

Or Not.....

You can keep going through this over and over again, or choose to divorce her.

LTL

G
G
Texas,

Given the amount of lying your WW has done, she needs to take a polygraph to prove you have the complete story.

Get tested for STDs, you may need to DNA test your children as well.

God Bless
Gamma

T
Texan44 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I told her that I can't get past the infidelity. I can't trust her. She isn't trustworthy. I still care for her very much but She still says she can't guarantee this sort of thing won't happen again. I don't know what drives this behavior but it is so destructive. I know she feels guilt, shame, hurt. I feel sad. Our children are 10 and 22. my parents don't want me to give up. I don't know if it is possible to move forward.

I truly don't understand how she can do this.

I still have her iMessages routed through the iPad. She told her brother earlier that we are getting divorced. She forgot it was still on maybe. We never made a final decision together, that's for sure. I feel sad for her because this sort of issue will not lead her to a good life.

Last edited by Texan44; 02/27/15 09:53 PM.
T
Texan44 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by markos
Texan, I'm sorry this has happened, but I am glad you have found out the truth.

Be sure not to order your wife around during this time. Just tell her honestly how much her affair hurts you and let her know that any continued contact with the OM or repeat of the circumstances that led to her affair will be unbearably painful to you.

That is exactly how I put it. I told her I am still willing to stay together and try to save our marriage but that I could not under any circumstances let this EA go on. It would be torturous and unbearable. I told her if she chose to stay it all has to end right now. The problem is I can't trust my wife.

Last edited by Texan44; 02/27/15 10:16 PM.
M
M
Originally Posted by markos
Texan, I'm sorry this has happened, but I am glad you have found out the truth.

Be sure not to order your wife around during this time. Just tell her honestly how much her affair hurts you and let her know that any continued contact with the OM or repeat of the circumstances that led to her affair will be unbearably painful to you.

That is exactly how I put it. I told her I am still willing to stay together and try to save our marriage but that I could not under any circumstances let this EA go on. It would be torturous and unbearable. I told her if she chose to stay it all has to end right now. The problem is I can't trust my wife.

Texan, Dr. Harley would say that there are some circumstances under which nobody should be trusted, and some circumstances under which anybody can be trusted. The feeling of trust, and the feeling of being in love, are both restored by following this program. Each of you can take actions this program recommends that will affect the feelings of the other.

At this point there is no rational reason to trust, but that can be fixed later on. It is not necessary for now, and in fact you certainly shouldn't trust right now.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
I told her that I can't get past the infidelity. I can't trust her. She isn't trustworthy. I still care for her very much but She still says she can't guarantee this sort of thing won't happen again. I don't know what drives this behavior but it is so destructive. I know she feels guilt, shame, hurt. I feel sad. Our children are 10 and 22. my parents don't want me to give up. I don't know if it is possible to move forward.

I truly don't understand how she can do this.

I still have her iMessages routed through the iPad. She told her brother earlier that we are getting divorced. She forgot it was still on maybe. We never made a final decision together, that's for sure. I feel sad for her because this sort of issue will not lead her to a good life.

Texan, i am confused. Are you reading our posts? We have completely recovered our marriages from affairs and are trying to show you what you do.

Are you not reading our posts?

Exposure 101

M
M
Texan, it is great that you have the truth out in the open. Your situation demonstrates what happens when couples don't affair proof their marriages after an affair, they experience more affairs in the future. I can't count the couples who have come back on this forum after ignoring the basic steps for recovery with repeat affairs. But you don't have to be like that if you follow these steps.

From Surviving an Affair, pg 66-67

The extraordinary precautions do more than end marriage-threatening affairs; they help a couple form the kind of relationship they always wanted.

These recommendations may seem rigid, unnecessarily confining, and even paranoid to those who have not been the victim of infidelity. But people like Sue and Jon, who have suffered unimaginable pain as a result of an affair that spun out of control, can easily see their value. For the inconvenience of following my advice, Sue would have spared herself and Jon the very worst experience of their lives.

Checklist for How Affairs Should End

_____The unfaithful spouse should reveal information about the affair to the betrayed spouse.

_____The unfaithful spouse should make a commitment to the betrayed spouse to never see or talk to the lover OP again.

_____The unfaithful spouse should write a letter to the lover OP ending the relationship and send it with the approval of the betrayed spouse.

_____The unfaithful spouse should take extraordinary precautions to guarantee total separation from the lover OP:

_____Block potential communication with the lover OP (change e-mail address and home and cell phone numbers, and close all social networking accounts; have voice messages and mail monitored by the betrayed spouse).

_____Account for time (betrayed spouse and wayward spouse give each other a twenty-four-hour daily schedule with locations and telephone numbers).

_____Account for money (betrayed spouse and wayward spouse give each other a complete account of all money spent).

_____Spend leisure time together.

_____Change jobs and relocate if necessary.

_____Avoid overnight separation.

_____Allow technical accountability.

_____ Expose affair to family members, clergy, and/or friends.

Exposure 101

M
M
Is the OM married?

Exposure 101

M
M
]
Just trying to keep it together for my son. We have both agreed that it is too early to have any talks with him or my oldest. I will try my best to be there for her needs and not bust up what is left.

i would start here by exposing the affair to any children over age 4. Your children should not be given false explanations for the source of tension in their home. That only confuses them and teaches them that lying is acceptable.

Dr. Harley on telling the children:

The same can be said about telling children about an affair. My experience with the positive outcomes of hundreds of families where an affair has been exposed to children has led me to encourage a betrayed spouse not to fear such exposure. In fact, to mislead children, giving other false explanations as to why their parents are not getting along, causes children to be very confused. When they finally discover the truth, it sets an example to children that dishonesty is sometimes acceptable, making them the judge of when that might occur.

An affair is an attack on children as well as the betrayed spouse. And it's true that children are deeply affected by this form of irresponsible behavior. But it's the act of infidelity that causes children to suffer, not the exposure of it. Facts point us toward solutions. Illusion leads us astray. That's true for children as well as adults.
here

Q: So, you do suggest telling our 10 year old son? Is this more than he can handle? He never saw any real unhappiness as my husband and I had a very low conflict marriage. I have been protecting our son from this truth. He still has hope that his dad is going to come home.
A: As for your son, the truth will come out eventually, even if you get back together again. And your son won't be emotionally crippled if he hears the truth. It's lies and deception that cripple children. He should know that your husband is choosing his lover over his son's mother. It's a fact. He's willing to ruin a family unit all for what.

When I first started recommending openness about an affair, I wasn't sure what would happen. But I did it because I knew it was the right thing to do. Now I know that for most couples it marks the beginning of recovery.

The reason that children should know about an affair is that exposing it to the light of day (letting everyone know), helps give the unfaithful spouse a dose of reality. An affair thrives on illusion, and whatever a betrayed spouse can do to eliminate the illusion is justifiable. Mold doesn't grow well in sunlight.
here

Q. How honest should I be about the A? (they are 7 and under)

A. Tell your children as much as you can about their father's affair, and how it affects you. There are some counselors and lawyers that strongly disagree with me on this issue, but I have maintained that position for over 35 years without any evidence that children are hurt by it. They're hurt by the affair, not by accurate information regarding the affair. Just make sure that you don't combine accurate information with disrespectful judgments. For example, you can say that the OW has taken their father away from you, but you should not say that she is home-wrecker (or worse).
here

My basic approach to life is that radical honesty is valuable on many different dimensions. It keeps us out of trouble, it helps others understand us, and it helps others avoid the same mistakes we have made. Letting your children know the details of your husband's affair would help them in all three areas.

The more your children know about your husband's affair, the more careful he will be to avoid them in the future.

The more your children know about his affair, the more they will understand what you are going through in your recovery (by the way, you are doing very well -- keep up the good work!).

Being radically honest about your husband's affair with your children would also help them avoid affairs themselves. How it happened and how could it have been prevented is a great object lesson for children. I learned that I was vulnerable for an affair when I learned about my grandfather's affairs. The extraordinary precautions I've taken were directly related to what I learned about him.

It's the approach I've always taken, and while it's difficult, especially for the WS, there's much more upside to it than downside.

Exposure 101

M
M
I told her that I can't get past the infidelity. I can't trust her. She isn't trustworthy.

There is no reason to try to beat this point into her; of course you can't and shouldn't trust her right now.

I still care for her very much but She still says she can't guarantee this sort of thing won't happen again.

If she will follow the steps from Dr. Harley that were laid out in an earlier post on your thread today, it will guarantee that this can never happen again. You need to get your wife to take those steps, and in return you need to take steps to get your wife to fall in love with you.

I don't know if it is possible to move forward.

Infidelity is the most painful experience one human being can inflict on another, but those who have followed the Marriage Builders program have been able to move forward after an affair.

Texan, you need to:
* Go through the extraordinary precautions that were listed out above
* View the video from Dr. Harley on infidelity
* Get the book Surviving an Affair and start working through it.

All of these things need to be done ASAP.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M

We are taking valuable time out of our own lives to help you and we would appreciate a response to our posts.

Exposure 101

M
M
Texan, do not sit in paralysis moaning that you don't understand how she could do this and don't know what drives this behavior. We here are all very studied in affairs and will tell you exactly how and why it happens AND HOW TO PREVENT IT. Then you will know the answer, and if you continue to say you don't understand we will be able to remind you that you do and what caused it and how to make sure it never happens again.

Here is how affairs start:

How do Affairs Begin?

Anatomy of Adultery

chapter 13 of His Needs, Her Needs

Please view the video from Dr. Harley ASAP:

Infidelity: What Every Couple Should Know

M
M
Just trying to keep it together for my son. We have both agreed that it is too early to have any talks with him or my oldest.

NONONONONO!!!!!

QUIT making agreements with her, unless it is something that this recovery program recommends the two of you agree to.

This is a terrible thing to agree to.

Go violate that agreement RIGHT NOW, just the same as she violated her agreement with you, and TELL both of your children exactly what she has done.

GO TELL YOUR CHILDREN.

Do not come back with an excuse as to why you will not do this, or we will let you know exactly why you cannot hope to recover.

T
Texan44 Offline OP
OP Offline
T

This is some young guy my wife met on a plane. He lives in a different country. I wouldn't begin to know how to track down any info.

M
M

This is some young guy my wife met on a plane. He lives in a different country. I wouldn't begin to know how to track down any info.

You need to figure this out. Find out his name, marital status, everything. Do you have his name?

Exposure 101

Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 369 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation