Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 46 of 66 1 2 44 45 46 47 48 65 66
M
M
Originally Posted by jkwpurple
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
And if I put everything on the petition, does that just push him further away?

Don't understand what this means. What do you mean by everything?

Well, she said I could put every detail of everything thing that has happened - the affair is what I took her to mean - or I could just put that we separated on such and such date, and he is supposed to give me this amount of money, but hey it's not quite happening so let's work this out.

Is it to your advantage to put in something about the affair?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
in other words, do you live in a fault state where adultery is taken into account?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by luna_alpha
Hiding the affair seems like a bad idea. You are doing nothing wrong by putting down the truth.

My understanding is that my state is a no fault state, so I guess I don't have to give a reason. The affair would fall under "irreconcilable differences" and I can choose to put it in or not and it doesn't change anything legally.

Me BW
Married 18 years before D-day
Kiddos - 15, 13, 6, 1
D-day - 10/14/14 Plan B - 11/30/14
G
OP Offline
G
She also said that if I want to notify WH that I'm filing I should go ahead and do that, because there are lawyers who check for new divorce files daily and contact them to offer to represent them. So if I don't want him to find out from some random person I should go ahead and have my tell him. I am inclined o let him find out however he finds out, from a random person or eventually certified letter from my attorney. Advice?

When you file, we can have your sister send him a message giving him a heads up and telling him that you do not want a divorce but am only filing to protect yourself financially. You can let him know also that you would be willing to reconcile if he ended his affair and committed to a program designed to restore the love in your marriage. I will help you write it.

This makes good sense to me.

Me BW
Kiddos - 15, 13, 6, 1
G
OP Offline
G
in other words, do you live in a fault state where adultery is taken into account?

What the lawyer actually said was that it's a "quasi no fault state" where the adultery only has potential bearing on spousal support (alimony) but that is the last thing that happens in the finalization of the divorce, and I think we can bring it in later if needed. I will double check that point. It wouldn't affect this initial hearing to get support in place for the time being.

Me BW
Kiddos - 15, 13, 6, 1
M
M

What the lawyer actually said was that it's a "quasi no fault state" where the adultery only has potential bearing on spousal support (alimony) but that is the last thing that happens in the finalization of the divorce, and I think we can bring it in later if needed. I will double check that point. It wouldn't affect this initial hearing to get support in place for the time being.

I would bring it in now since you have no reason not to. It is just a statement of the truth. It is not being "dirty." If it has baring on alimony [and it does in many states] you should bring it up. No reason not to!

Exposure 101

G
OP Offline
G

I would bring it in now since you have no reason not to. It is just a statement of the truth. It is not being "dirty." If it has baring on alimony [and it does in many states] you should bring it up. No reason not to!

I was just reading up on divorce law, and my state is not a true no fault only state. So yes, it can affect the outcome. And I don't see it as playing dirty either. Just not being extra nice, which I have no reason to be.

She said some people really want every detail of every wrongdoing listed, and I have to decide how I want to file.

I am planning to get the papers to her by the end of the week or beginning of next, so she will be able to file next week.

Me BW
Kiddos - 15, 13, 6, 1
G
OP Offline
G
My dad wants me to list adultery and abandonment as fault reasons. Since I did not kick him out, he chose to leave.

Me BW
Kiddos - 15, 13, 6, 1
M
M
[

I was just reading up on divorce law, and my state is not a true no fault only state. So yes, it can affect the outcome. And I don't see it as playing dirty either. Just not being extra nice, which I have no reason to be.

Texas is this way too. It is no fault but adultery is taken into account when determining alimony, child support, property division, etc.

She said some people really want every detail of every wrongdoing listed, and I have to decide how I want to file.

I don't see the point in that, do you? I would only mention that separation was initiated due to his adultery and keep the rest of it very light.

I am planning to get the papers to her by the end of the week or beginning of next, so she will be able to file next week.

yeah!! I will be thinking about a good letter to send him in the meantime. Be thinking of what you want to say.

Exposure 101

M
M
My dad wants me to list adultery and abandonment as fault reasons. Since I did not kick him out, he chose to leave.

I agree!!

Exposure 101

M
M
[And I don't see it as playing dirty either. Just not being extra nice, which I have no reason to be.

I don't think it's "nice" to cover up adultery and abandonment. I consider that enabling, the opposite of nice. And enabling is not in your husband's best interest. It is not in anyone's best interest!

Exposure 101

G
OP Offline
G

I don't see the point in that, do you? I would only mention that separation was initiated due to his adultery and keep the rest of it very light.

I don't. I am in the middle of this, though, and you guys have advised me to do some things that I didn't get before and didn't understand until later. I'm just too emotional. I'm trying to be rational but the only way I can really do that right now is to seek advice from trusted sources. I know I'm not thinking straight.

yeah!! I will be thinking about a good letter to send him in the meantime. Be thinking of what you want to say.

I'll be honest. What I want to say to him right now is a whole bunch of cuss words. I'm going to need some help.

Me BW
Kiddos - 15, 13, 6, 1
G
OP Offline
G
[And I don't see it as playing dirty either. Just not being extra nice, which I have no reason to be.

I don't think it's "nice" to cover up adultery and abandonment. I consider that enabling, the opposite of nice. And enabling is not in your husband's best interest. It is not in anyone's best interest!

You're absolutely right, it's more being a doormat. Just giving him whatever he wants. That's not being nice.

Me BW
Kiddos - 15, 13, 6, 1
B
B
I live in a fault state but the two attorneys I had consults with told me a person should always bring up fault (if possible - even in a no fault) in the initial petition. The lawyer I retained said that bringing up fault later tends to look like you're now worried about losing your case and want to slingmud...that is what he has observed. He didn't need to convince me but it was helpful to hear that. I can see how it could come across that way.

Plus you will have it in there so if your WH tries to re-write history or lie to your children re: the reason you filed, it is there in black and white.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by black_raven
I live in a fault state but the two attorneys I had consults with told me a person should always bring up fault (if possible even in a no fault) in the initial petition. The lawyer I retained said that bringing up fault later tends to look like you're now worried about losing your case and want to slinging mud...that is what he has observed. He didn't need to convince me but it was helpful to here that. I can see how it could come across that way.

Plus you will have it in there so if your WH tries to re-write history or lie to your children re: the reason you filed, it is there in black and white.

Excellent points.

Me BW
Kiddos - 15, 13, 6, 1
G
OP Offline
G
In thinking about this, I guess including "everything" and coming out "guns blazing" would be listing every detail - like every time he didn't come when he said and the time he took the baby for 4 1/2 hours and brought her home in the same diaper she was wearing when he picked her up. I have all this stuff written down, but do I need to list it out for the court?

Me BW
Kiddos - 15, 13, 6, 1
G
OP Offline
G

Never mind - you already answered that.

Me BW
Kiddos - 15, 13, 6, 1
B
B
In thinking about this, I guess including "everything" and coming out "guns blazing" would be listing every detail - like every time he didn't come when he said and the time he took the baby for 4 1/2 hours and brought her home in the same diaper she was wearing when he picked her up. I have all this stuff written down, but do I need to list it out for the court?

That level of detail is not needed in the Original Petition. It shouldn't be a book. Cite the fault and if you are able to maybe include OW's name as the AP in the Petition and not just the decree. That way she can be identified and specifically named as someone who you do not want having contact with your children...if you are asking for that in Orders.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
G
OP Offline
G

That level of detail is not needed in the Original Petition. It shouldn't be a book. Cite the fault and if you are able to maybe include OW's name as the AP in the Petition and not just the decree. That way she can be identified and specifically named as someone who you do not want having contact with your children...if you are asking for that in Orders.

That hadn't occurred to me to ask - will the court really grant that?

Me BW
Kiddos - 15, 13, 6, 1
B
B

That hadn't occurred to me to ask - will the court really grant that?

In my state it is part of a Standard Order during the D process to order both parents not to have overnights with someone of the opposite sex who is not a family member and/or someone who is in a romantic relationship with the parent. I didn't have to request that order...it is automatic where I live. If your state/county doesn't do that then yes you can ask. The worst they can say is no and deny it. However, part of the "best interest of the child" during the D process is not having new bfs/gfs or random sex partners around when the children are present. You can still ask for it post-D too but during the D process, a parent would look sleazy to insist they have overnight guests around their kids so ask.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Page 46 of 66 1 2 44 45 46 47 48 65 66

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 122 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation