Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
B
Originally Posted by markos
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Originally Posted by Schlag
So how do I fix myself?

How do I enter into another relationship someday without screwing up someone else's life?

Start doing the stuff that Marriage Builders says to do. You could have done this all along. You are not broken.
And start listening to the radio show every day. Make it a priority.

(I'm surprised I beat markos to the punch on this advice. After all it's in his signature).

No, I posted it to him on his last thread the last time he showed up. Does that mean I beat you to it? laugh
Dang it, yup!!

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

M
M
My post to you at the very end of your last thread says it all. There's no need for me to repeat it for you, I think. If you won't expend the effort to go find that post, read it, and do what it says, nobody here can help you in any way.

I don't know if you religious or not, but even if you are not this quotation from the book of James in the Bible might be of interest to you:

"Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like."

You can look in the mirror and see the mess and clean it up, or you can look in the mirror and run away.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Schlag, I am truly sorry that you are going through the pain of a revenge affair, and I am truly sorry for what you, your wife, and your kids are going through.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
D
D
Schlag, There's your problem.

...I will do Amy's will for the next 6 months...
Yep, the ole ball and chain. 6 months and maybe you can save your bad guy image. This has nothing to do with her.

...leave her alone, fulfill my duties to God as a husband until the day I am not... Then I can go back to me scummy habits in secret. TeeHee.
God is convenient.

...be there for the kids, and support her in any way I can. Yeah, because just like Amy, they won't catch on to my cruddy, selfish secrets. What they don't know won't hurt them just like it didn't hurt Amy.

Schlag, you minimize your behaviors. With each little looksee, checksee, told her that you didn't want her and wanted someone different. But now you magically don't? Of couse she doesn't believe your back-pedaling words more than your destructive habits.

Think of the kid who bullies away until someone decides to "teach him a lesson." You would think that the kid would learn to stop hurting. Nope. He feels entitled. When the principle calls him in he points at the other guy and cries foul.

And the kid wonders why no one wants to hang out with him.

Your wife thought , again, that she could have a happy family. You raised her hopes only to make her out for a fool.

I don't think it's okay. But can you hear her now?

S
Schlag Offline OP
OP Offline
S
My post to you at the very end of your last thread says it all. There's no need for me to repeat it for you, I think. If you won't expend the effort to go find that post, read it, and do what it says, nobody here can help you in any way.

I don't know if you religious or not, but even if you are not this quotation from the book of James in the Bible might be of interest to you:

"Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like."

You can look in the mirror and see the mess and clean it up, or you can look in the mirror and run away.

Markos, you're right of course. And yes, I am deeply religious. And I am the man who forgets his face. It's all too easy for me to do because I can pretty much only hyperfocus on one thing at a time in life. Otherwise I'm just trying to keep all the plates spinning. I am so sick that I didn't do what you said. I went to counseling with Amy. I focused on my faith. We dealt with money problems and kid problems and medical problems and Amy started full time school. We (I) did everything BUT that which would have saved us.

When we were first divorced and dating again I was focused on MB principles and letting everything else slide, life was magical. But I could never be consistent. It's the story of my life, really. I've been a failure in anything that requires consistent disciplined effort for a long period of time. I've been a spectacular success in short and medium term efforts like schools and projects and things like that. Winning Amy back. The first time, anyway.

Schlag, I am truly sorry that you are going through the pain of a revenge affair, and I am truly sorry for what you, your wife, and your kids are going through.

I appreciate your kind words more than you know. Believe it or not it's not a revenge affair. When she closed the door on her heart to me and opened it up to others, he was right there every day just like always. A good guy who now had the opportunity to be there for her emotionally and distracted her from the pain of the end of our marriage. It may be an affair technically but it isn't revenge. And she is really really happy to be with someone who doesn't have a million triggers and pain in the butt EPs and anxiety all the time. She tells me it isn't revenge but did make a comment about how justice was finally being served or something like that. But it wasn't her goal going in to it.

You're not broken.
Thanks. Amy and everyone that loves her tell me I am. I guess I just figured it must be true.

S
Schlag Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by DidntQuit
Schlag, There's your problem.

...I will do Amy's will for the next 6 months...
Yep, the ole ball and chain. 6 months and maybe you can save your bad guy image. This has nothing to do with her.
There's no saving anything with Amy. It's not possible.

...leave her alone, fulfill my duties to God as a husband until the day I am not... Then I can go back to me scummy habits in secret. TeeHee.
God is convenient.

Temptation will be present whether married or not. I struggle against it either way.

...be there for the kids, and support her in any way I can. Yeah, because just like Amy, they won't catch on to my cruddy, selfish secrets. What they don't know won't hurt them just like it didn't hurt Amy.
No, it hurts them because the more I fall into sin and selfishness the more angry I become at myself and those around me. Even if they don't see what I do directly, it has a direct effect on them and I know that.

Originally Posted by DidntQuit
Your wife thought , again, that she could have a happy family. You raised her hopes only to make her out for a fool.

I don't think it's okay. But can you hear her now?
Yup. Sure can.

Last edited by Schlag; 03/10/15 11:36 AM.
B
B
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
And how to get through the next 6 months? Move out.

Continuing to live together is unhealthy for everyone. Don't pick easy. Spare everyone a lot more grief.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
S
Schlag Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by black_raven

Continuing to live together is unhealthy for everyone. Don't pick easy. Spare everyone a lot more grief.

Believe me, it would be a lot easier for me to move out. I'm choosing the harder path for me. Especially since I have to watch her move on with her life and be with someone else. We have agreed on boundaries and schedules and are working it out. There's certainly no way I could move out. I guess Amy could move out if she wanted to. She's gone a lot more than I am. But as long as I leave her alone and don't try to change her mind or make comments about what she's doing we're fine.

P
P
I can't for the life of me imagine why you can't move out. Sounds like excuses.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

A
A
Bit of a martyr complex going on here, will either of you, for once, think about how the children will feel while they witness this?

M
M

U
U
Originally Posted by alis
Bit of a martyr complex going on here, will either of you, for once, think about how the children will feel while they witness this?

x2

There is absolutely NO consideration for what your lifestyle is teaching your kids here. None. You are both living very selfish lifestyles that are harming your children immensely.

B
B

Believe me, it would be a lot easier for me to move out. I'm choosing the harder path for me. Especially since I have to watch her move on with her life and be with someone else. We have agreed on boundaries and schedules and are working it out. There's certainly no way I could move out. I guess Amy could move out if she wanted to. She's gone a lot more than I am. But as long as I leave her alone and don't try to change her mind or make comments about what she's doing we're fine.

This is a cop out...which is your usual spin. You are simply lazy and want to hang around/on.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
B
B
Originally Posted by unwritten

x2

There is absolutely NO consideration for what your lifestyle is teaching your kids here. None. You are both living very selfish lifestyles that are harming your children immensely.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

S
Schlag Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Prisca
I can't for the life of me imagine why you can't move out. Sounds like excuses.

Partly financial reasons. Southern CA, single income family of 6. We were barely scraping by before filing. But mostly logistical reasons. See below.

Why is it unhealthy? If I leave after the kids are in bed and go sleep in a room somewhere and then show up before they wake up to make their lunches and feed them breakfast and get them ready for school, what's the difference - I won't have to watch my wife leave looking hot for someone else? And she leaves a lot - another reason why it would be senseless to move out. I have to be there anyway to watch the kids whenever she wants to leave.

Witness what? They seem to be pretty excited to have this fun new guy in their life. And we fight less than we did before filing. She is going to have him around the kids on the weekends whether I sleep there or not.

This is a cop out...which is your usual spin. You are simply lazy and want to hang around/on.
Six months ago I changed my work hours (with great difficulty and a special waiver, mind you) so that I could get up every day and make the kids' lunches and feed them breakfast and get them ready for school and take them to their schools by 8:30. This is not a trivial matter when the kids are 11/9/6/3. I get to work at 9 and work until 6:15 pm, pick up the 6 yr old from gymnastics 3 nights a week, getting home just in time to feed them dinner and put them to bed. Rinse, repeat. I do ALL the laundry. I do ALL the home maintenance / yardwork. I do ALL finance management. I do ALL the management of our 9 yr old son's type 1 diabetes that was diagnosed 2 months ago. I do 80% of the cleaning. I do 100% of the meal planning and grocery buying. When the kids get sick at school, it's MY problem. It has been this way for 6 months and will be this way for 6 more. Lazy? Really? It would delight the "Taker" in me to leave and watch Amy try to survive.

M
M
Spinning, spinnin, spinnin, keep them doggies spinning, RAWHIIIIIDE!! crazy

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
[qSix months ago I changed my work hours (with great difficulty and a special waiver, mind you) so that I could get up every day and make the kids' lunches and feed them breakfast and get them ready for school and take them to their schools by 8:30.

You won't get a father of the year award for destroying their family and placing craigslist hoe trolling and slapping the ole salami before their best interest. What a load of crap!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M

I
I
Witness what? They seem to be pretty excited to have this fun new guy in their life. And we fight less than we did before filing. She is going to have him around the kids on the weekends whether I sleep there or not.

This just sums it up for me. You seem to think that if the kids are not exposed to actual fighting - they are not seeing anything weird.

You don't think so? It creeps me out that they are 'excited' by their mother's lover. That their dad trolls the web in secret but presents this picture of domestic super dad. Their getting excited about their mother's close guy friend is odd - you must have both done a number on them to get that delusional point. Not to mention the fact that their parents are not in love, lying to them, not a team - and this is presented as a normal picture.

If you persuade your kids to copy the outer picture - then they automatically inherit the inner picture too. If pretending, lying and OS friends become their normality then affairs will too. They can't be sold on the pretence that covers up this behaviour without teaching them how to have affairs. If OS friendships and lying are in their future, then affairs are too.

So what that they don't see fighting? Aside form the act no child ever should - what they are seeing is way creepier and more easily imprinted on them.

I cannot believe how much emphasis you are placing on domestic duties when the real basics are being ignored.

You betrayed your family - who cares how many grocery runs you did?

Last edited by indiegirl; 03/11/15 04:30 AM.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

I
I
Six months ago I changed my work hours (with great difficulty and a special waiver, mind you) so that I could get up every day and make the kids' lunches and feed them breakfast and get them ready for school and take them to their schools by 8:30. This is not a trivial matter when the kids are 11/9/6/3.

It's absolutely a trivial matter. How you can seriously try to take credit for how the kids are fed when affairs are going on.....

You knew with your very first affair that the kids risked only being cared for by one parent. You knew the risk of splitting up their family.

There are many betrayed parents who have done far more than this who never did a thing to deserve being left alone.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 611 guests, and 47 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation