Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 18 19
M
M
Originally Posted by typicalman
I need to know how to tell my wife that she can't go. Legally, what can I do? We are usually going to also see her family.. so it's not a trip purely to visit the OM. We just happen to be in the same town and she says "I'm going out tonight" I would love it if there is some way to forbid her from going and seeing her friends whom are toxic.. how do I do that? This is why I am on the forum.

You can start by stopping being such an enabler. I would love to see you act like you CARE and strenuously object to her toxic, marriage wrecking behavior.

Does her family endorse infidelity as you do?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

I
I
Originally Posted by indiegirl
I need to know how to tell my wife that she can't go. Legally, what can I do? We are usually going to also see her family.. so it's not a trip purely to visit the OM. We just happen to be in the same town and she says "I'm going out tonight" I would love it if there is some way to forbid her from going and seeing her friends whom are toxic.. how do I do that? This is why I am on the forum.

I'd very much recommend full on snooping. You'd also get lots of dirt on the enabling friends.

Can you read the exposure thread in Melody Lanes signature? You need supportive exposure targets to help you drive home to her how skanky her behaviour is.

You can also expose OM to family, friends, and expose him online so his name is trashed in a Google search. Completely legal to tell the truth.

You should see what your legal options are with your local laws, ie restraining orders, alienation of affection, being named in any divorce he contributed to.

Who is this guy? Is he married, what's his line of work?

Not married, self employed.. it's hard to make a good legal case because they have barely talked in months.. and all I do have is a couple weeks worth of texts with an "I love you", "I'm always there for you", "I miss you".. that sort of thing.. after that, the communications were all just normal.. Hi.. how are ya.. kind of stuff.

if he's self employed can you let his customers know?

m.. That makes the exposure so difficult. When I show people what I do have, there is no argument that it was inappropriate but that part of it seems to have completely stopped.

I think that the main issue that my wife possibly had was that if I cut her off from this individual, I would be cutting her off from other friends as well.

How do I step up the plan A so that she will want this relationship and all this other nonesense with the friends will not mean so much to her... ?

most reasonable people would be horrified by this on going contact with the AP. After an offer of forgiveness, it's all she needs to do! It doesn't need to be sexy to be stopped, it just needs to stop. Will anyone tell her she is being horrifically immoral by trying to keep him?

I think that the main issue that my wife possibly had was that if I cut her off from this individual, I would be cutting her off from other friends as well.

How do I step up the plan A so that she will want this relationship and all this other nonesense with the friends will not mean so much to her... ?

The real attraction of these friends is they support her alley cat choices. Run off the A and she will have little use for them.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

I
I
Wifedivorcing did one of the best confrontations.

Originally Posted by wifedivorcing
I confronted him. He was nervous and he called the police. I asked him his intentions. And he wouldn't answer. I told him I love my wife and my family. I told him to leave her alone. Dont text, call or see her. I told him he ruined his marriage 8 years ago cheating. I told him I have evidence as I pointed my flash drive at him. I also told him I have his DNA. He was concerned with that. He then said if I only new my wife and he said from what he's told she has every reason for leaving me... I told him instead of messing around with my wife pay attention to your son...that one got him. That's when he told me to leave and called the cops. I told him what are trying to get have of my homes equity b/c you have nothing. I hit a nerve he said what do you mean I have nothing. I repeated it you have nothing. I then said I will fight for her like a pit bull on steroids. He said he is going to sue me for fb post liable. he also said he knows my weakness so I better watch. Out. I told this fight isn't over with...

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

A
A
Regarding the comments about "not much contact recently":

You are probably being gaslighted by your wife and her enablers about this, so maybe you feel like there is a line they haven't crossed.

But for any reasonable person looking at this from the outside, the only proper response from your wife after you exposed their affair was to DROP THIS GUY like a bad habit. ANYTHING else is crossing a BIG line. ANY further contact is NOT OK. Anybody who tells you anything otherwise is an idiot and is NOT worth your time trying to convince.

You need to draw a line in the sand here. Your OM is extremely vulnerable because he is self employed. He has customers he cannot afford to lose and you can make the cost of pursuing your wife completely unaffordable for him if you want to fight this battle. If you spoil his credibility with his customers, you ruin the viability of his business.

You've asked a few times about what you can and cannot tell your wife to do, and you are missing the point to be focusing on what you can SAY to her. She's an adult, she can do what she wants and I doubt anything you say to her at this point is going to stop her from continuing her affair.

BUT you can take actions that will make the consequences of her choices greater than she is willing to accept. That is what exposure will do.

Don't worry about what to say to her. Focus on what you're going to do to make this affair completely intolerable for her. Expose and make her OM regret ever having anything to do with her.

Happily remarried to wonderful woman who I found using the guidelines in "Buyers, Renters, Freeloaders"
2 baby boys, working on #3 and couldn't ask for anything more.

When my ex's affair happened: BH 28, Ex-WW:29
Married: 7 years
Together: 8 years
D-day: 10/5/2014
D filed: 1/22/2015
D Final: 6/4/2015

My story
T
OP Offline
T
Thank you for all the feedback on exposure. The main issue that I am facing right now is dealing with her constant abuse. It's tearing me up every day. I don't want to come home and see her because she is so unpleasant and miserable. She berates and disrespects me in front of the children often. I don't know how to survive this and how long to expect to live this way.

A
A
You need to get on antidepressants if you feel that way.

See your doctor, explain your situation and ask to be prescribed antidepressants. This is what Dr. Harley recommends.

Your reaction to this is pretty normal. This is a very hard circumstance to be in. I wasn't eating or sleeping very well when I was in your spot (close to Dday), it's very taxing.

Happily remarried to wonderful woman who I found using the guidelines in "Buyers, Renters, Freeloaders"

My story
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by axslinger85
Regarding the comments about "not much contact recently":

You are probably being gaslighted by your wife and her enablers about this, so maybe you feel like there is a line they haven't crossed.

But for any reasonable person looking at this from the outside, the only proper response from your wife after you exposed their affair was to DROP THIS GUY like a bad habit. ANYTHING else is crossing a BIG line. ANY further contact is NOT OK. Anybody who tells you anything otherwise is an idiot and is NOT worth your time trying to convince.

You need to draw a line in the sand here. Your OM is extremely vulnerable because he is self employed. He has customers he cannot afford to lose and you can make the cost of pursuing your wife completely unaffordable for him if you want to fight this battle. If you spoil his credibility with his customers, you ruin the viability of his business.

You've asked a few times about what you can and cannot tell your wife to do, and you are missing the point to be focusing on what you can SAY to her. She's an adult, she can do what she wants and I doubt anything you say to her at this point is going to stop her from continuing her affair.

BUT you can take actions that will make the consequences of her choices greater than she is willing to accept. That is what exposure will do.

Don't worry about what to say to her. Focus on what you're going to do to make this affair completely intolerable for her. Expose and make her OM regret ever having anything to do with her.

I feel strongly that I need undeniable proof that this is still going on. I don't see it. I think that she is thinking about leaving and taking the kids.

M
M
No, you don't need undeniable prOof that it is going on today. That is not relevant. An affair that has ended should be exposed anyway so it doesn't resume. As long as you keep it a secret, they are free to carry on. And you would pRobably go with her!

Did you read about exposure? Did you read Dr Harley's article about exposure?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

A
A
I feel strongly that I need undeniable proof that this is still going on. I don't see it. I think that she is thinking about leaving and taking the kids.

It is important that you have an strong case with good evidence before you expose, and to be honest I haven't read enough of this thread to know what you do and do not have already. I understand from an earlier post that you have text messages confirming their relationship, but they've slowed down, right?

Understand that for some, there is no convincing. People either connect the dots or they don't (usually because they are in denial).

I had phone communications between my WW and her AP as well as GPS data showing her at his location for days at a time after she moved out and some in her family STILL gave her the benefit of the doubt. I even had one person ask me "what if she's staying the night there but isn't sleeping with him?" crazy

They desperately wanted anything they could find to believe it wasn't a physical affair because they were in denial. You are going to have people around you like that also.

Snoop with every opportunity you can get, do NOT tell your wife you are doing so, and show us your evidence. You already know what the truth is and we can give you an objective opinion of how solid your case is.

Once you have that, you have to run with it and let the cards fall where they may. You've entered very murky waters here and you are going to find out in short order who you can trust in your social circle and who you cannot. Every exposure is like this.

If you think your wife is seriously close to leaving, you need to focus on getting snooping set up before she's out the door, because that task gets much harder once she's out of the house.

My story
M
M
Dr Bill Harley, clinical psychologist and author of Surviving an Affair

"What about exposure of an affair that took place years earlier and is now ended but recently revealed? I feel that the children, close relatives, close friends, and the lovers spouse should be informed. Granted, it's embarrassing to admit an affair, but publicly admitting failure is usually the first step toward redemption.

As you probably already know, I'm a strong advocate of honesty and openness in marriage. I call it transparency -- letting your spouse know everything about you, especially your faults. But should that level of openness carry into the public arena? I believe that it should in cases of extreme irresponsibility, and that certainly includes infidelity. When you have done something very hurtful to someone else, others should know about it. Such exposure helps prevent a recurrence of the offense. Your closest friends and relatives will be keeping an eye on you -- holding you accountable."

Exposure 101

M
M
He has prooF of the affair. His pRoof is not RECENT, which is irrelevant.

Exposure 101

M
M
Here is your evidence:

:

". and all I do have is a couple weeks worth of texts with an "I love you", "I'm always there for you", "I miss you".. that sort of thing.. after that, the communications were all just normal.. Hi.. how are ya.. kind of stuff."

Exposure 101

A
A
MelodyLane is the most experienced poster here regarding exposure, she has helped literally thousands of other posters through this part of the process.

Without exposure you have nothing keeping your wife and her affair partner from getting back together. And since she knows you are snooping, the affair may simply be happening via other avenues of communication.

I saw an earlier comment about her friends. You probably have it backwards. It's likely that she is friends with these people because THEY SUPPORT the affair, not vice-versa. This is not uncommon either.

You need to kill the affair before she will ditch those friends. I'm willing to bet she has people close to her (like her family!) who she cares more about than her trashy friends who are encouraging her to cheat on her husband. You need to focus like a laser on the people around her who support your marriage, and anyone who supports the affair needs to be OUT of the picture. They cannot stay.

I'm going to bet these probably are relatively new friends, right? That's usually how that works. Your wife has probably just recruited cheerleaders to help her ease her conscience.

My story
T
OP Offline
T
There is no evidence that it is ongoing.. .I have looked pretty hard. Exposure will help long term... but for the short term she is so terribly abusive that I'm completely miserable. I'm afraid every day that she is going to take the kids and move away.. I know she is looking for apartments and houses in this town 1000's of miles away, but logic tells me that it is a fantasy and not reality that she could leave with no financial support. How can I survive this abuse... if I could figure that out, I could probably focus on other things. It's getting so bad that I can't even think straight.

M
M
[
There is no evidence that it is ongoing.. .I have looked pretty hard. Exposure will help long term...

That is good. You should expose the affair NOW and make sure he is run off and the affair is killed. Part of her bitterness comes from lingering feelings about the OM.

Exposure will help wake her up and may motivate her to try and change. I would also let her know that you won't put up with her abuse for long. I would certainly never reward her or go along with her destructive ideas.

Does she have access to your money or large lines of credit? If so, I would move your money.

Exposure 101

A
A
On the texts:

Married adults don't text ANY of these phrases to people of the opposite sex, outside of their immediate family:

"I love you", "I'm always there for you", "I miss you"

None of this is OK. This and your gut feeling is enough to convince any reasonable person as to what is happening. You are her husband and this PLUS the texts are plenty enough to ask other people for help with getting your wife to abandon this relationship and focus on your marriage. Your wife's reaction is incredibly damning as to what her intentions are, and most people will instinctively understand that.

Just imagine your wife going to your father in law with texts like the ones you are describing between you and another woman and the same types of concerns about the relationship, meanwhile you are distancing yourself and asking for a divorce. Do you have any doubt as to what conclusions people would draw about that?

My story
A
A
There is no evidence that it is ongoing.. .I have looked pretty hard. Exposure will help long term... but for the short term she is so terribly abusive that I'm completely miserable. I'm afraid every day that she is going to take the kids and move away.. I know she is looking for apartments and houses in this town 1000's of miles away, but logic tells me that it is a fantasy and not reality that she could leave with no financial support. How can I survive this abuse... if I could figure that out, I could probably focus on other things. It's getting so bad that I can't even think straight.

Sounds like you've got a good handle on how feasible it would be for her to leave.

When can you get into a Dr. to talk about getting ADs?

My story
T
OP Offline
T

Sounds like you've got a good handle on how feasible it would be for her to leave.

When can you get into a Dr. to talk about getting ADs?

I can go get the AD's in the next week I think. Any advice as to what to say or do about the abuse if anything? When I ask her to stop she keeps "gaslighting" me; saying it's not her being disrespectful, it's me.

T
OP Offline
T
On the texts:

Married adults don't text ANY of these phrases to people of the opposite sex, outside of their immediate family:

"I love you", "I'm always there for you", "I miss you"

None of this is OK. This and your gut feeling is enough to convince any reasonable person as to what is happening. You are her husband and this PLUS the texts are plenty enough to ask other people for help with getting your wife to abandon this relationship and focus on your marriage. Your wife's reaction is incredibly damning as to what her intentions are, and most people will instinctively understand that.

Just imagine your wife going to your father in law with texts like the ones you are describing between you and another woman and the same types of concerns about the relationship, meanwhile you are distancing yourself and asking for a divorce. Do you have any doubt as to what conclusions people would draw about that?

Its possible that they talked this way before we were married because she has had this friend since they were little kids. Not that it's right to continue once you are married. I hear her talk similarly to her female friends. Under no circumstances do I think this is OK... but her mind is not right either. Something is wrong with her... or, her "taker" is so much control she can do whatever she wants without regard for me.

U
U
There is no evidence that it is ongoing.. .I have looked pretty hard.

What have you done to look pretty hard? Have you put a VAR in her vehicle? Have you put spyware on her phone or computer?

It is clear that once she found out that you were snooping she took this affair underground. You are only finding a few phone records because the rest are on a different phone, or under a different number. Are you SURE the number that is in her phone for the old high school girlfriend is REALLY the high school girlfriend and not actually the OM under a girl's name??? That is a very classic and easy wayward workaround to hide phone calls. If not under a different name, then a different phone. Purchasing a burner phone is very very easy. You have mentioned many times that he is long distance so therefore easy to track. Maybe that was the case in the era of landlines, but in today's world, not really.

You need to take this more seriously and stop underestimating the power of the addiction and the many MANY avenues to hide that addiction when the need arises, and it has.

Page 5 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 153 guests, and 130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ardent Center, Lost@1969, Jmoor9090, Confused1980, Bibbyryan860
71,843 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation