Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
SugarCane #2851471 04/22/15 11:50 PM
N
N
What he said to you about shut your [blank] mouth was appalling. I think I would have packed his bags and sent him away to think about it. Is that MB condoned?

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
SugarCane #2851484 04/23/15 08:14 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by SugarCane
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
I would go to him with this proposal. Tell him he has 2 options:

1. never drink again. Go to at least 5 AA meetings a week, starting today. Get a sponsor within one week.

2. move out

Let him make the choice.
Why didn't you make him take one or other of these choices, as ML recommended? Why have you allowed him to choose an online option? Have you any idea whether that is as effective as AA attendance?

Yes, there is research on it showing that it is as or more effective than AA.

NewEveryDay #2851485 04/23/15 08:15 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by NewEveryDay
What he said to you about shut your [blank] mouth was appalling. I think I would have packed his bags and sent him away to think about it. Is that MB condoned?

I know, it was bad. But if I told him to pack his bags he would laugh in my face and not leave. I tried that once before when his language was that rude. How to you kick someone out of the house when they refuse to leave and it is legally their house too?

MichiganMom #2851496 04/23/15 09:32 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by MichiganMom

I know, it was bad. But if I told him to pack his bags he would laugh in my face and not leave. I tried that once before when his language was that rude. How to you kick someone out of the house when they refuse to leave and it is legally their house too?

You have several options. You could file for separation and get him legally removed or you could move out yourself. But you shouldn't continue to live with an abusive alcoholic. Are you getting ready to deliver a baby?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

MichiganMom #2851513 04/23/15 10:57 AM
L
L
Originally Posted by MichiganMom

My XH refused to leave. If they refuse to leave it tells you something about them doesn't it?

Mine thought he could come and go as he chose, helping himself to anything he wanted as the divorce process ground through (took 6 years). In the end I installed a hidden burglar alarm connected to the police station and changed the tumbler in the door lock. I did the alarm so that he could not get a locksmith to open the door for him when I was out and then lock me out.

When he next arrived I met him outside and said he was not welcome. He refused to leave and so I called the police and said I had a trespasser. He promptly called them too and told them I was armed so that his call got priority over mine. They were fantastic when they arrived. They took two seconds to see that I was not waiving a gun, took him aside and said he needed to go through the court if he wanted access.

He lost that action, appealed and it is still grinding through the appeals court.

I should have done that at the outset. My lawyer sort of told me to do that but could not quite advise it as it is not strictly legal but I would have saved myself a huge amount of stress if I had done it that way. Just do it, there is no downside for you.

3 adult children
Divorced - he was a serial adulterer
Now remarried, thank you MB
(formerly lied_to_again)
living_well #2851525 04/23/15 11:57 AM
I
I
Going by that conversation, you seem to think you can educate your husband on right and wrong 'we should find a middle ground' etc. That's disrespectful, but of course it pales in comparison to his disrespect.

His dismissiveness and abuse are deal breakers

Don't educate him, just don't tolerate it. You must separate because these conversations don't work.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (Blackhawk), 1,065 guests, and 80 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation