Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 58 of 74 1 2 56 57 58 59 60 73 74
R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Sunnytimes
Originally Posted by Remark
But, I did explain that playing softball with them against [ogre] JD2D's wishes was IB (after I had schooled them on IB) and a bad thing for our marriage.

Sigh.

You are pitting them against her.... as if she was too self centered to want them and you to have great times playing softball together.

Originally Posted by markos
We have seen you follow this pattern repeatedly: you want to do something, your wife is not enthusiastic, and you express JUDGMENT of her for not feeling enthusiastic. You do this by talking about how right the thing is you want, or how special it is, or how it's the right thing to do by God, or the right thing to do for your children, or whatever else. You also JUDGE her reaction and say people ought to be able to what you want to do without it being a big "ordeal." You also let other people know when she is reluctant rather than protecting her and keeping her opinions private between the two of you, allowing them to form a judgmental opinion of her as well.

^^this^^

OK, same question. How do I communicate the concept of IB to them and the fact that i was wrong to do it without 'pitting them against JD2D?

A
A
Make it about your actions, the things you did. Don't make about her thoughts or feels. Your disrespect, your lack of conideration.

M
M
OK, same question. How do I communicate the concept of IB to them and the fact that i was wrong to do it without 'pitting them against JD2D?

By never letting them know she's the reason you're not going to do something. Quit showing them the seam between the two of you, when you are supposed to be ONE. That's a horrible violation, IMO.

Your kids are grown and will need to figure a lot of this out for themselves. Rather than violating your wife in order to teach them, just lead by example. When someone asks you something, you say "let me get back to you on that." Don't tell them that the reason you can't answer yet ie because you need to talk to your wife.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
I
I
Mmmm. I agree. You're just starting to think in terms of 'If JD2D doesn't like it then I don't do it' but when you communicate this to others it really sounds like 'JD2D won't let me' so there is a real need for privacy there.

You need to absorb the wisdom of deciding that PoJA is the best option for YOU and take ownership of that decision. So you don't say JD2D thinks it's a bad idea, you need to say *you* think it is.

I don't think it's a good idea to do that. A more fun thing to do would be..(insert PoJAd decision).

If there's no PoJA decision tell them you'll get back to them.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by apples123
Make it about your actions, the things you did. Don't make about her thoughts or feels. Your disrespect, your lack of conideration.
Excellent! Thanks, Apples
I need to remember that!!!

R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R

By never letting them know she's the reason you're not going to do something. Quit showing them the seam between the two of you, when you are supposed to be ONE. That's a horrible violation, IMO.

Your kids are grown and will need to figure a lot of this out for themselves. Rather than violating your wife in order to teach them, just lead by example. When someone asks you something, you say "let me get back to you on that." Don't tell them that the reason you can't answer yet ie because you need to talk to your wife.

Markos,

Good advice. I understand. "Let me get back to you" is subtly so much better, than "let me talk with JD2D"!!

Thanks,
Remark

R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by indiegirl
Mmmm. I agree. You're just starting to think in terms of 'If JD2D doesn't like it then I don't do it' but when you communicate this to others it really sounds like 'JD2D won't let me' so there is a real need for privacy there.

You need to absorb the wisdom of deciding that PoJA is the best option for YOU and take ownership of that decision. So you don't say JD2D thinks it's a bad idea, you need to say *you* think it is.

I don't think it's a good idea to do that. A more fun thing to do would be..(insert PoJAd decision).

If there's no PoJA decision tell them you'll get back to them.
Thanks, Indie,

Believe me, I believe in PoJA. Internalizing it and employing it with "Let me get back with you" is so much better than my efforts PoJA to date.

Thanks,
Remark

M
M
Remark, I'm a little concerned about all the talk about teaching your children. Don't teach them at your wife's expense. Don't tell them anything they might be judgmental toward your wife about. And if they do say something judgmental about her, defend her.

Your children are grown and can figure out their own marriages by themselves.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Remark, I'm a little concerned about all the talk about teaching your children. Don't teach them at your wife's expense. Don't tell them anything they might be judgmental toward your wife about. And if they do say something judgmental about her, defend her.

Your children are grown and can figure out their own marriages by themselves.
Markos,
I agree with you re: adult children; impact. I've learned much ion recent posts of how I should respond with"let me get to you" rather than "let ask JD2D" which makes the ogre more often than not.

Thanks for your wise counsel.
Remark

S
S
Remark,

I thought about you this weekend, and your difficult situation. I hope that this weekend contributed in some way, a pebble tossed in the stream building towards a bridge.

I do really hope and pray that your separation is the beginning of a new relationship with your wife.

Once the day-to-day dings are removed and all of your time is pleasant UA/dating, it is my hope that the two of you are able to restore your love.

After my xH refused to move out to save our marriage, my eyes were opened to "if he were out", then x, y and z LBs wouldn't have happened that day, further confirming my hopeless future with him. Once he moved out, it was easy to put those incidental LBs out of my mind because they weren't happening anymore.

As posters have pointed out on my thread in the dating section, now that we are separated I am at a high risk of building my regard back for him, in the absence of continued LBs on his part.

My xH was not a very nice man - and it didn't really bother him that he wasn't. I can swear on a STACK of Bibles that I will never fall in love with him again [a figure of speech of course; we are not actually permitted by the Bible to do this].

However, he has been nice and we have shared cordial family times and I can say that IF I WAS TRYING TO BE, I could be be back in love with him again, given the distance from the daily LBs. This is after 18 months of separation, and with him being pretty mean at times during the separation even.

[I am taking steps of a better Plan B to prevent this from ever happening, and the posters on my thread have been kind to forsee/warn me about this. In my case, my xH had NO desire to try MB or change his behavior; you do!]

The separation isn't the trauma that it first seems to be. It's a good thing. Embrace it and use it to rebuild your marriage.

All of the best to you, Remark.

Sunnytimes.

Are you living in a covenant with death? With bitterness in your marriage? Read Isaiah 28. The bed will not be long enough or the covers wide enough for you to ever find comfort in that life. In Isaiah 28, God tells you to take a stick and beat these conditions out of your life.

Isaiah 28:29 "This [command] also cometh forth from the Lord of hosts, which is wonderful in counsel, and excellent in working."
R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Sunnytimes
Remark,

I thought about you this weekend, and your difficult situation. I hope that this weekend contributed in some way, a pebble tossed in the stream building towards a bridge.

I do really hope and pray that your separation is the beginning of a new relationship with your wife.

Once the day-to-day dings are removed and all of your time is pleasant UA/dating, it is my hope that the two of you are able to restore your love.

After my xH refused to move out to save our marriage, my eyes were opened to "if he were out", then x, y and z LBs wouldn't have happened that day, further confirming my hopeless future with him. Once he moved out, it was easy to put those incidental LBs out of my mind because they weren't happening anymore.

As posters have pointed out on my thread in the dating section, now that we are separated I am at a high risk of building my regard back for him, in the absence of continued LBs on his part.

My xH was not a very nice man - and it didn't really bother him that he wasn't. I can swear on a STACK of Bibles that I will never fall in love with him again [a figure of speech of course; we are not actually permitted by the Bible to do this].

However, he has been nice and we have shared cordial family times and I can say that IF I WAS TRYING TO BE, I could be be back in love with him again, given the distance from the daily LBs. This is after 18 months of separation, and with him being pretty mean at times during the separation even.

[I am taking steps of a better Plan B to prevent this from ever happening, and the posters on my thread have been kind to forsee/warn me about this. In my case, my xH had NO desire to try MB or change his behavior; you do!]

The separation isn't the trauma that it first seems to be. It's a good thing. Embrace it and use it to rebuild your marriage.

All of the best to you, Remark.

Sunnytimes.

Thanks for your prayers, Sunny.

I pray the same for JD2D and me. And, I hope I wasn't as bad to JD2D as your ex was to you, though I know I made a million mistakes.

I will pray for you and yours as well.

Thanks and blessings,
Remark

H
H
Remark,

just reminding you that you were going to post about your progress every day.
What did you do to make your wife fall back in love with you in the last 2 days?

me, DH
all the children
R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
happyhart,

OK, I will get back to that. Yesterday, I got an internet connection!!!! So, until yesterday, I was "out of commission" as far as internet connectivity and posting, except from work, where I try to limit to during lunch hour.

Last week, I took a few days off from work as well, to work with my son who is in town from Australia. He offered and I took him up on working on replacing the nasty carpet on the floor of my bathrooms with tile. (It only had carpet, (no tile or linoleum under the carpet).

Anyway, to your question, each day, I picked up the younger son, after school and fed him, etc. This is not unusual, but I went out of my way to be considerate to JD2D in terms of letting the dog out, or putting the trash out.

As my two sons and I had dinner, Monday night, I stopped to let the dog out or something and she just arrived home from work. She mentioned desiring to go to dinner with sons and me as we concluded work and got something to eat. We shut down around 8:30 PM and were going to get something to eat. I mentioned to the boys that she wanted to eat with us, so as we left not knowing where we were going, we'd have to call her as we decided where to eat. The oldest son drove and we didn't know where we were going to eat. Ultimately, we ate at his favorite place to eat here in the states, Qdoba, but as we got there I forgot to call JD2D. She was hurt, and I feel bad about that.

Tuesday, we did invite her to eat and, in fact the four of us ate at her favorite place to eat.

Friday evening, we stopped in to get something and to borrow her internet connection to check e-mail and Craigslist as I needed a cheap TV stand. I committed an LB of leaving a place mat out of place on her kitchen table. She mentioned that, (an LB)

Then yesterday, I stopped by to check on her and our youngest son as he had a place to be and be picked up from. She was cutting the grass, apparently, and didn't hear her phone around 2:00 PM as the cable TV company finally completed setting up my internet connection. She asked if I could stay and talk for 10 minutes. I did, and that talk went on until about 8:00 PM. So, between the cable company and that 10 minute talk, I got nothing done in terms of the bathroom floors, where I still don't have a working toilet ( which disappoints me, but is not the end of the world. ) I am taking time now, to catch up with MB, and then I'll get back on the bathrooms today, so that by the end of today, I hope to have a working toilet.

The three things we talked about yesterday were (1) how she perceives I'm not working on us, but focusing on fixing up this condo I'm in, (2) my family and (3) dating, she wants to as she feels I am not pursuing her.

(1) She feels I am not doing the things the forum tells me. I have a notebook, for example, but I don't remember to keep it with me and I don't recall to recap each day the things I've done positively and negatively (LB's and positive things.) OK, I am focused on bathrooms for the moment. And, I will get back on that as soon as I have a working toilet.

(2) She doesn't care to see my family or travel 5-6 hours to their hometown ever again. Enough on that as we've labored that enough.

(3) This too, speaks for itself.

We have so many hurdles where I am unacceptable to her and her position is untenable to me long-term, I am feeling very discouraged at this point.

Thanks,
Remark

A
A
Dude, you ignored your wife for a week and then told her to have an affair!?!
That was dumb!

Last edited by apples123; 06/28/15 12:52 PM.
A
A
Your post sounds like you are talking about an annoying maiden aunt, not a wife you are desperately trying to have fall in love with you.

P
P
She mentioned desiring to go to dinner with sons and me as we concluded work and got something to eat. We shut down around 8:30 PM and were going to get something to eat. I mentioned to the boys that she wanted to eat with us, so as we left not knowing where we were going, we'd have to call her as we decided where to eat. The oldest son drove and we didn't know where we were going to eat. Ultimately, we ate at his favorite place to eat here in the states, Qdoba, but as we got there I forgot to call JD2D. She was hurt, and I feel bad about that.
banghead
Do you want to be married or not.
If you do, you are going to HAVE TO START PUTTING YOUR WIFE FIRST. You cannot afford to forget her.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

H
H
Your actions demonstrate zero care for your wife.

ZERO.

If bathroom carpet is more important than your wife, why should she remain married to you
If you DON'T CARE if she has an affair, why should she remain married to you?

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Dude, you ignored your wife for a week and then told her to have an affair!?!
That was dumb!

Apples,

I agree. It didn't quite go down like that though. She told me of some guy pursuing her she met at some meet up group, when I've begged for UA and "dates" for years now.

So, consider that as part of the context, please.

Thanks, Remark

R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Prisca
She mentioned desiring to go to dinner with sons and me as we concluded work and got something to eat. We shut down around 8:30 PM and were going to get something to eat. I mentioned to the boys that she wanted to eat with us, so as we left not knowing where we were going, we'd have to call her as we decided where to eat. The oldest son drove and we didn't know where we were going to eat. Ultimately, we ate at his favorite place to eat here in the states, Qdoba, but as we got there I forgot to call JD2D. She was hurt, and I feel bad about that.
banghead
Do you want to be married or not.
If you do, you are going to HAVE TO START PUTTING YOUR WIFE FIRST. You cannot afford to forget her.

Yes, I know. It's a struggle to put her first when time with her is not pleasant anymore. She seems so confrontational. I am frustrated too. I don't know how to make her more secure.

Thanks, Remark

R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Your post sounds like you are talking about an annoying maiden aunt, not a wife you are desperately trying to have fall in love with you.
Apples,

I agree. I struggle to enjoy being around her as she is so confrontational unless a third party is present. I am just as frustrated and lonely as she is. I am only part of the problem.

Thanks,
Remark

Page 58 of 74 1 2 56 57 58 59 60 73 74

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 430 guests, and 65 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation